What should the Martian Manhunter backstory be?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Yorel
With the mysteries still surrounding J'onn J'onzz's backstoy and history in Smallville, I was thinking what should it be for the show?

I've heard people say that he was traped in the Phantom Zone just like Raya. I personaly don't like this idea. I would prefer to think that 40 odd years ago when Jor-El came to Earth (Ep 3x06 Relic) Jor-El and J'onn met. 20 years later when Clark's ship heads to Earth it pass' Mars and is noticed by J'onn, who recognised the ship as Kryptonian and follows.

It could then be revealed that J'onn has been watching over Clark (relising that he is Jor-El's son).

What do ya think? What are your theories?

Darkchoco
I like that idea that he was watchign over him. But thats it. He doesnt really need a backstory

Entity
Just stick with the original. I hated smallville at first when I started watching it and they were screwing Clarks origin all to shit. Then I started to actually enjoy allot of the aspects of this version allot better. What really made me final become a true devoted smallville fan was seeing Alica die. No, I didn't want her to I actually enjoyed the character and she was like the one person to gain abilities from kryptonite that I liked. But, I have always had a problem with the Superman character in comics. I really want to like him and think he has enormous potential that is left untaped because everyone seems to think he has to be perfect without any real flaws. It is this very perfection that makes me despise the comic version. Seeing Alica die and Clark actually not be there to save someone really appealed to me. Clark finally losing just once in his life made all the difference. I have been hooked every since I saw that and him beating the guy that killed her with actual full blown non kryptonite induced rage.

But all that aside there are some origins that I would like actually stay the same. They changed Bart and that pissed me off like I can't even tell ya. All they had to do was call him Barry or even Wally I would've settled for.

Dan-El
Actually, that was our Barry Allen in Smallville. The name Barry, like Bart, is short for Bartholomew. Therefore, Smallville Flash could've just gone by Bart when he was younger, rather than Barry.

The writers calling Bart "Impulse" was just to appease the Bart Allen fans in the comics. Besides, it was the idea of Green Arrow, not Bart himself. I'm sure that if Bart actually got to pick his own codename, he'd have called himself the Flash.

Entity
Originally posted by Dan-El
Actually, that was our Barry Allen in Smallville. The name Barry, like Bart, is short for Bartholomew. Therefore, Smallville Flash could've just gone by Bart when he was younger, rather than Barry.

The writers calling Bart "Impulse" was just to appease the Bart Allen fans in the comics. Besides, it was the idea of Green Arrow, not Bart himself. I'm sure that if Bart actually got to pick his own codename, he'd have called himself the Flash.

Individually I might buy that but together, nun hu.
It wasn't bad enough they called him Bart they had to go ahead and codename him Impulse too. I though I was watching the Titans not the Justice league. Which is cool except for before they get to Bart they gotta do Barry.

Dan-El
I still say that Smallville Bart IS Barry, but to each his own.

Big Sexy
I still say that Smallville Bart IS Barry, but to each his own. Considering Barry Allen and Wally West were on two of his fake IDS. Its obvious hes Bart and not Barry. Impulse sealed it.

Dan-El
Not really. It never said which ID was fake, and which was real. There were just multiple IDs. Obviously, after he said his name was Bart, Barry would be the closest to his real identity, since the two names are short for the same one: Bartholomew.

Whether you want to believe that Bart is Bartholomew Henry Allen I or Bartholomew Henry Allen II is your decision, not mine. I still believe that even though they called him Impulse, Smallville Bart is Comic Barry, and nothing will change that for me.

Darkchoco
Agreed. The Smallville writers wouldnt mess it up that much :P

Big Sexy
Not really. It never said which ID was fake, and which was real. There were just multiple IDs. Obviously, after he said his name was Bart, Barry would be the closest to his real identity, since the two names are short for the same one: Bartholomew.

Whether you want to believe that Bart is Bartholomew Henry Allen I or Bartholomew Henry Allen II is your decision, not mine. I still believe that even though they called him Impulse, Smallville Bart is Comic Barry, and nothing will change that for me. Dude, you know thats wishful thinking. Its obvious that the writers weren't trying maybe's with the cards. Its clear the IDS Clark picked up were all fake. Your thinking too hard. They pretty much lay it straightforward. Smallville never puts any smart hints into its comic referencing. They usually are just straightforward.
ex- everyone claims that red and blue are clarks colors.

Anyway as far as seasons go its been ok. Lana will probably know the truth by the end of the season. She already thinks Clarks a meteor freak now.

Entity

Whether you want to believe that Bart is Bartholomew Henry Allen I or Bartholomew Henry Allen II is your decision, not mine. I still believe that even though they called him Impulse, Smallville Bart is Comic Barry, and nothing will change that for me.

Another thing that really convinces me it's Bart and not Barry is his attitude. He is very Impulsive just as he got his nick name from Oliver, he did from Wally in the comic. Barry was a scientist and allot more straight forward type of guy.

Everything about it say is Smallvilles version of Bart/Impulse.
Also no offense dude, like you said to all his own, but you seem to be nit picking about allot of these very minor details. While they pinpoint him as Bart with all the major ones.
Ex. Bart/Impulse/Attitude vs technicalities...

P.S. Seriously thou man I am not really trying to argue with you or anything. I am just trying to point out why I disagree. You can thing he is supposed to be the Hulk for all I care. Once again to each his own.

Kal875
yeah but he's a teen, he's not yet a responsible adult.

Dan-El
Hey, no prob Entity. At least we're not being douchebag forum geeks. There's already too many of those.

Magee
I am a douchebag forum geek. Whats a douchebag?

Entity
Hey, no prob Entity. At least we're not being douchebag forum geeks. There's already too many of those.

Well, I figured since we have the same name I should at least be cool with ya. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.