Managers inspiration, Englands problem

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Krone
Sooo right, but Germany had a few Megastars Ballack, Lehmenan (spelling) Lucas Podoski (Won young player of the Tournament). But you say Sven got us no where, is that about This world Cup or in his reign, Becuase Sven beat Germany 5-1, hes reached the Quarter Finals in every major tournament which is better than most of England managers except the World Cup winners. # 67 matches spanning over 5 years with only 5 competitive losses (3 inside 90 mins). This record is only beaten by Sir Alf Ramsey and Glenn Hoddle, excluding Caretaker managers.
# He never lost a competitive match by more than 1 goal.

Alpha Centauri
Why do people hold that win over Germany in such high regard? It was one match.

It's getting a bit sad.

-AC

Victor Von Doom

amity75
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Why do people hold that win over Germany in such high regard? It was one match.

It's getting a bit sad.

-AC They hold it in such high regard coz they know it was a fluke and it will never happen again.

Krone
We hold it in such high regard because it is an Achievement, What country do you follow?

Victor Von Doom
It wasn't a significant achievement, because Germany got to the final of the competition that the match was a qualifier for; England went out in the QFs (as always).

Krone
I didnt say it was significant... But its still an high achievement none the less... Germany are a top class team, so to beat them 5-1 ,away aswell, is something every English fan will remember.

Victor Von Doom
Well, that's fair enough, except it doesn't reflect reality in terms of amount of celebration.

Krone
Its mainly because of the fierce rivalry, im sure it would be the same if we beat any of our other 'European Friends' or any of the big teams.

Victor Von Doom
Exactly.

Deano
does mclaren know what he is doin?....

playin phil neville

theres your answer

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Krone
Its mainly because of the fierce rivalry, im sure it would be the same if we beat any of our other 'European Friends' or any of the big teams.

A fierce rivalry based on what? The war. Something Germany are clearly over, at least much more than England are for the most part.

You can bet no other country actually views things as widely serious in football as England do. England fans (Not all, obviously) find it ok to make fun of other teams and countries, but when Germany did it back to Beckham, everyone was up in arms. I just find it incredibly sad that there is a video and DVD release of that match, and beach towels with the score on, so that stupid Spanish island visiting English tourists could "taunt the Germans".

I don't "follow" a country, Brazil are my favourite team, and before you call the age old glory hunter argument, me and many others have been there and done that, and it has nothing to do with glory, as I've enjoyed them since 94 and through the period when they were able to be beat by teams like China.

I watch football for entertainment, which admittedly isn't its purpose, but that is why I watch. Why on Earth would I continually back a team that I didn't like?

-AC

Krone
You've just sumed up why I only follow England because im English, During every World Cup or any International tournament ill follow England (And any of the other British Teams) but i always follow Spain, mainly becuase of one or two players, and Holland, again because of one or two players.

I personally hold no grudges against the Germans, everything ive said is what England fans see, of course this doesnt apply to every English fan.

Alpha Centauri
You can't help where you're born, I fail to see why you feel as though you're obligated to follow this country, but to each their own.

-AC

Krone
I dont no wht i support them, its the Same with Liverpool, i only support them because i was born on the Red side of town..

Alpha Centauri
B-bit silly, but whatever works for you.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.