Wonder Woman - Joss Whedon leaves the project!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
So this is why the start date hasn't happened in the past year. There's been some major fighting behind the scenes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=399109

NoFate007
What I don't understand is how they think that they're still gonna get some monster hold on the female audience for action films. How many woman-centered action films out there have claimed to be the same thing - "She's not just a damsel in distress. She fights with the best of them. She's strong. Blah blah blah. Hear me roar." - and have just bombed horribly? Elektra? Catwoman? Ultraviolet? Aeon Flux? Bloodrayne? Etc.

Now yes, Wonder Woman is far more popular than someone like Aeon Flux...but even that won't save her. The idea of a woman being a hero is great if its written in an intriguing way. However, let's face it folks, this isn't the same time period as when she was created. People won't be able to stomach "macho woman who wears the American flag for panties and flies an invisible jet" as anything but laughable. The only way to get around that is to throw out the jet and redesign the costume, which pisses off the die-hard fans.

So how do you get the men to come out to a film about a chick like this? You cast some really hot woman to put on the costume...generally someone who can't act, which, since its a character-driven story...totally ruins the film and results in it getting panned by critics. Critics pass on the "it blows and not in a fun way" attitude to the general audience, and those people that might've taken a chance on it now say "nevermind, its supposed to suck".

They should worry about making GOOD films and not just hashing out whatever stories they want to try to cram down the public's throat.

Draco69
Joss Whedon was the ONLY director who could have written WW properly (he writes strong female characters).

So I'm a little worried.

And NoFate007, you obviously have terrible knowledge of the character. WW CAN be done just like Batman, a man who wears a bat-costume with grey underwear on the outside of his costume, drives a automobile with a bat-signia on it, and hasa ten-year old boy who wears a green bikini for a superhero costume.....

It's no more as ridiculous as WW.

They just need to be imaginative about it. You're wrongly assuming that they'll make a carbon-copy of the comic.

The reason the "female" superhero movies bombed was because they SUCKED. Not because it starred a female superhero. They GENUINELY sucked. Elektra sucked. Catwoman sucked harder. Aeon Flux had potential if they had done the movie right.

WW could be a great movie if they get the right writer and the right director. Joss Whedon was the best in my mind. Apparently the reason they didn't want his script was because they want the movie to take place during WWII.

Okay...

NoFate007
Originally posted by Draco69

And NoFate007, you obviously have terrible knowledge of the character. WW CAN be done just like Batman, a man who wears a bat-costume with grey underwear on the outside of his costume, drives a automobile with a bat-signia on it, and hasa ten-year old boy who wears a green bikini for a superhero costume.....It's no more as ridiculous as WW.

They just need to be imaginative about it. You're wrongly assuming that they'll make a carbon-copy of the comic. The reason the "female" superhero movies bombed was because they SUCKED. Not because it starred a female superhero. They GENUINELY sucked. Elektra sucked. Catwoman sucked harder. Aeon Flux had potential if they had done the movie right.

You misjudge me and a few other things. The "Batman with gray underwear, Robin the little kid with green pajamas, etc" thing IS stupid in my opinion. If they had done that in Batman Begins, I'm sure it would have translated to look stupid...but they didn't.

I don't simply assume that they'll make, as you call it, a "carbon-copy of the comic", because Whedon has said in interviews that she was gonna have the invisible jet, and we've all seen the poster that shows the original costume unscathed.

As for female superhero films, if there was a single one of them that was good, then I'd go along with you and say that the ones that failed simply sucked. However, not a single one of them has been as well received as say Spider-Man for an example. If one of them came along and blew those films out of the water, I'd gracefully say you're right, but so far, none of them have been anything more than the latest attempt at a female James Bond in many aspects, and they've all been given virtually the same level of praise and box office gross - not very much. I think one CAN make a successful female-driven action film, but it takes working on the story to make it happen - not just working on promoting it as "a chick finally gets to fight like a dude".

roughrider
I don't know if they can wait for a guy like James Cameron to do it. He's great with strong female leads, but it's taken him a decade to crank up pre-production on just one or two features.
He did option Steven Pressfield's novel LAST OF THE AMAZONS some years ago, so we know he has interest in such subjects. Plus, never getting to make Spider Man, maybe he's got a desire for a comic movie still in him.

LORDSIDIOUS01
I am not worried one bit. What they need to do is abandon the whole script of Wonder Woman and wait until one is properly ready. Then wait until the right tall actress comes along.

NoFate007
James Cameron is an interesting choice, especially when you bring up how he was gonna do Spider-Man before. He's a good director...but I think he's working on some long-winded project, last I heard. I forget what its called...starts with an A I think.

roughrider
Originally posted by NoFate007
James Cameron is an interesting choice, especially when you bring up how he was gonna do Spider-Man before. He's a good director...but I think he's working on some long-winded project, last I heard. I forget what its called...starts with an A I think.

Scoobless
I think one CAN make a successful female-driven action film, but it takes working on the story to make it happen - not just working on promoting it as "a chick finally gets to fight like a dude".

Yeah ... I thought the first 3 Alien(s) films were great with Sigourney Weaver in the lead part ... the 4th one was kinda crappy.

Apart from that though, I'm struggling to come up with a good action film with a woman as the main character.

erm

Buffy is (was) by far the best female-lead action/adventure TV series out there.

Dark Angel was second rate most of the time and I never watched that one about Black Canary (whatever it was called)

NoFate007
Originally posted by Scoobless
Yeah ... I thought the first 3 Alien(s) films were great with Sigourney Weaver in the lead part ... the 4th one was kinda crappy.

Apart from that though, I'm struggling to come up with a good action film with a woman as the main character.

erm

Buffy is (was) by far the best female-lead action/adventure TV series out there.

Dark Angel was second rate most of the time and I never watched that one about Black Canary (whatever it was called)

I'm guilty of not ever having watched Dark Angel, but yeah, the Alien series is probably the best example of a well-written action film where a woman was the lead.

Then there are shows like Birds of Prey which just sucked in every category imaginable that they had no chance lol.

Scoobless
The Underworld films were pretty good as well.

DigiMark007
What I don't understand is how they think that they're still gonna get some monster hold on the female audience for action films. How many woman-centered action films out there have claimed to be the same thing - "She's not just a damsel in distress. She fights with the best of them. She's strong. Blah blah blah. Hear me roar." - and have just bombed horribly? Elektra? Catwoman? Ultraviolet? Aeon Flux? Bloodrayne? Etc.

Now yes, Wonder Woman is far more popular than someone like Aeon Flux...but even that won't save her. The idea of a woman being a hero is great if its written in an intriguing way. However, let's face it folks, this isn't the same time period as when she was created. People won't be able to stomach "macho woman who wears the American flag for panties and flies an invisible jet" as anything but laughable. The only way to get around that is to throw out the jet and redesign the costume, which pisses off the die-hard fans.

So how do you get the men to come out to a film about a chick like this? You cast some really hot woman to put on the costume...generally someone who can't act, which, since its a character-driven story...totally ruins the film and results in it getting panned by critics. Critics pass on the "it blows and not in a fun way" attitude to the general audience, and those people that might've taken a chance on it now say "nevermind, its supposed to suck".

They should worry about making GOOD films and not just hashing out whatever stories they want to try to cram down the public's throat.

Wow. Co-signed in force.

That's like a microcosm of the superhero movie industry in general. The dorky costume might be able to be pulled off, but the approach to movies, and reaction to them, is spot-on.

thumb up

roughrider
Some of you are being a bit hard. Being around for sixty years, Diana has some measure of enduring popularity. Yes, she's had series cancelled - but no more often than Green Lantern. wink
And of course that costume can't work literally on the screen; a redesign is necessary. If some fans are ticked off, well, if X-Men fans can get over Wolverine not wearing yellow spandex for the movies, then others should accept Diana looking armoured to the teeth. Just don't do that red jumpsuit look Cathy Lee Crosby used for the TV movie (and who here remembers that one? big grin )

http://imdb.com/title/tt0072419/

Scoobless
Originally posted by DigiMark007
The dorky costume might be able to be pulled off

Personally ... I'd love to see Wonder Woman's costume "pulled off".

naughty

The Libertine
Why won't the costume work literally? Spidermans did! It woked for Lynda Carter. Two many changes are made for the big screen when it's almost done literally like Spiderman it works better. Supermans costume worked on the big screen with few changes.

roughrider
Superman and Spider-Man's costumes don't resemble items worn by a playboy bunny, or a woman who jumps out of a cake.
Diana is a warrior princess - make her look more like one.

The Libertine
Originally posted by roughrider
Superman and Spider-Man's costumes don't resemble items worn by a playboy bunny, or a woman who jumps out of a cake.
Diana is a warrior princess - make her look more like one.

Supermans costume i'm sure is worn by many strippers, spidermans is just kinky. Diana should look like Wonderwoman, That's just me.

Scoobless
Originally posted by The Libertine
Why won't the costume work literally? Spidermans did! It woked for Lynda Carter.

Not really.

erm

roughrider
Supermans costume i'm sure is worn by many strippers, spidermans is just kinky. Diana should look like Wonderwoman, That's just me.

People need to look carefully at each outfit, and determine if this looks right in the real world, not just on the page.
That 'Ultimate' look for Diana some years ago - I have favoured that as more realistic, while still staying with tradition of the comics.

MattDay
I agree, still has the colours of her costume but the look of an armoured warrior, something like that would work for me

The Libertine
People need to look carefully at each outfit, and determine if this looks right in the real world, not just on the page.
That 'Ultimate' look for Diana some years ago - I have favoured that as more realistic, while still staying with tradition of the comics.

You see that doesn't look any less like a strippers outfit than the original to me.

roughrider
You see that doesn't look any less like a strippers outfit than the original to me.

Yeah, but NOW she looks ready to stand with the Spartans against the Persians at Thermopylae, rather than appear at a beauty contest. thumb up

The Libertine
Yeah, but NOW she looks ready to stand with the Spartans against the Persians at Thermopylae, rather than appear at a beauty contest. thumb up

Her costume though was created due to the role she played in WW2 with Steve Trevor, I hope they keep that element. Rather than the more modern ideas and she has been to mans world before. I hope it straddles the line between old and new and the Betty Page elements are kept.

NoFate007
A great deal depends on when they set the film. If they set it back during WWII times, the costume is slightly more forgivable. But if they set it in 2007/2008, there's no way that thing is gonna make it through the film where people aren't just laughing at her in it.

The Libertine
A great deal depends on when they set the film. If they set it back during WWII times, the costume is slightly more forgivable. But if they set it in 2007/2008, there's no way that thing is gonna make it through the film where people aren't just laughing at her in it.

I have to say I disagree no one laughed at Supes costume which is equally silly. It's comics the kitsch factor is fine!

roughrider
Superman wears a cape - it makes his outfit look more grand. And Spider Man's outfit has never been considered sexy or kinky.

Jamaican
Who says they need to get the female audience primarily?? You very well know that most men if not all will go out and watch her. Even if you're sexist you're still going to go watch someone because either A) you'll want to see someone looking sexy, or B) you realize that it could actually be a good film b/c it's a good character.

And yet people can stomach a man dressing up as a Bat & Spider, that drives a black tank & shoots webs from his hands.

Kate Beckinsale IMO is a good actress & had a good run @ Underworld I&II. Erica Durance to me is also pretty decent actress. Either IMO could play Diana.

In my opinion, there's going to be more riding on the Director/Producer's part than on the actors. If they act like shit, a good director will tell them to do it until they get it right. They should have a firm idea of what needs to happen.

Example - Prior to seeing Superman Returns, a major complaint I had was their choice for Clark. All in all, he wasn't a bad Superman, the real problem is that Brian Singer needs to be shot for going with that story line. The same thing applies here.

Based on the comics I've read and seen her in, her abilities and powers, backstory, personality - it could be an excellent movie.

NoFate007
Under the proper direction and without being influenced by producers and such, it COULD be a good film, but look at how these things end up turning out. Studios generally don't care about good films over money-making films. Their first priority is $ even though they constantly use cover-up phrases to try to act like they just care about the film itself rather than what they can rake in.

You've generalized what I said about hot actresses not being able to act. I consider Beckinsale perhaps the most attractive celebrity out now, and I agree with you that she can act. Tons of them can. But if you look on these forums and stuff, people always try to cast just based on whether or not a woman is hot. (ex people thinking that every model that looks like Wonder Woman should be offered the part). Beautiful women, but you can't just go for hotness to drive males to the theatre.

As far as what people can stomach, c'mon...do you honestly think that "invisible jet" is on par with "tank"? Or "man that dresses up in an outfit made out of body armor, combat boots, and gauntlets" is equally laughable in regards to "woman who dresses up in a revealing garment made out of an american flag and a cleavage W"? Spider-Man's outfit is a little laughable, agreed, but Wonder Woman's is like something you'd see at a Victoria's Secret fashion show.

She's a classic character, I'm not arguing that point. I'm glad she's been around and hasn't just been killed off or depowered or anything. But a film about her definitely has a lot of obstacles that it will have to get over in order to be taken as a serious, genuinely good film that will attract a mass audience - far more obstacles than other superheroes we've seen recently.

Jamaican
Definitely True - people are idiots

Even if it was an awesome jet that was made out of adamantium and could go through walls etc, etc., they should just leave the jet out completely. I've always wondered - why the hell does she have that thing if she can fly, and at the speeds she can. It's ridiculous.

And what could be better than seeing either Adriana Lima or Alessandra Ambrosio wearing something like that?? Ajoke - but regardless if they keep it the same exact outfit or not, they have to make it sexy. That's part of the whole "Diana: Goddess looking but will kick my A$$". From what I remember, Elektra's outfit wasn't bad, it was just the movie itself. Eventhough it is a different type of costume.

Definitely true - it will have many obstacles. But if they do it right it will be worth all the trouble.

NoFate007
I agree about the jet. What was the point in giving her that if she can already fly?

Do you remember seeing that Supercar or whatever it was called, where Superman had that flying car with tentacles or whatever? Whatever they were smoking back in the day must've been potent lol

"I've got an idea! How about we give that guy that flies....A FLYING CAR."
"Oh that'll totally make him tougher."

Jamaican
Now if she couldn't play Wonder Woman: Goddess - I don't know who could!!

Jamaican
This girl (Charisma Carpenter) looks more like Diana - but can she act??

Scoobless
Originally posted by Jamaican
This girl (Charisma Carpenter) looks more like Diana - but can she act??

That pic is about 10 years old (I think)

Jamaican
Well regardless of how old the photo is - Hollywood will make a 90 year old look like a highschool student.

But I wasn't aware of how old she is. She's 37 - so how many movies would she be able to make?....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.