Man In The Box - Alice In Chains Appreciation Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Seraphim XIII
I think AIC is one of the greatest bands that came to grace the mainstream.

I think they are very much under-rated and I once did a project in school asking people if they'd bother to listen, and the majority replied with a "No" due to the band name.

What do you think? Do you like Alice In Chains? Do they deserve more respect?

Deathblow
I was under the impression they get lots of respect. Don't know if they could be called underrated or not, their work was always well received wasn't it?

Either way, they're amongst my top 10 favorite bands. 'Dirt' is a masterpiece.

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by Deathblow
I was under the impression they get lots of respect. Don't know if they could be called underrated or not, their work was always well received wasn't it?

Either way, they're amongst my top 10 favorite bands. 'Dirt' is a masterpiece.

Oh, I love dirt. My favorites are "Down in a Hole" and "Would".

Indeed, but the criticism is harsh and a few people I know said the bands popularity only stems from Layne's death. No offense (Because I love them too) but that is something you'd accuse Nirvana's popularity of, not AIC.

Alpha Centauri
I personally think they were by far the greatest grunge band ever, and one of the greatest overall bands ever.

-AC

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I personally think they were by far the greatest grunge band ever, and one of the greatest overall bands ever.

-AC

Same here. On my favorite bands list, they come second only to Pearl Jam.

Nellinator
Grunge fan apparently. I consider Alice in Chains the third greatest grunge band after Nirvana and Pearl Jam although I think they are the most musically advanced. Does anyone else think that they are not as grunge as some other grunge bands? I think they seem to have more metal influence than the others...

'Would' is my favourite AIC song.

Deathblow
They certainly blurred the grunge - metal line. Nirvana and possibly Mudhoney (also Soundgarden if you consider them grunge) are the only other grunge bands even remotely within touching distance of Alice, but they're still both considerably inferior.

Nellinator
Isn't Rage Against the Machine considered at least partly grunge as well? I like the Nirvana the best out of the grunge era, but AIC is awesome as well, actually I decided I like AIC better than Pearl Jam today. I'd rank the grunge bands like so:
1. Nirvana
2. AIC
3. Pearl Jam
4. Soundgarden (not as grungy as the rest like Deathblow said)
5. Mudhoney (haven't heard enough of them to really rate them though)

RedAlertv2
AIC are one of those bands that I like and respect yet at the same time have trouble connecting to.

jaden101
a brilliant band and one of my constant favourites throughout my youth and adult life

its only a shame that much of the brilliance stemmed from layne's own self destruction. his addiction clearly changed the bands sound from relatively banal standard metal/rock of "we die young" within 2 years to the undoubtadly different "dirt" which songs such as "sick man", "god smack" and "junk head" are a more than clear indication to...

jaden101
a brilliant band and one of my constant favourites throughout my youth and adult life

its only a shame that much of the brilliance stemmed from layne's own self destruction. his addiction clearly changed the bands sound from relatively banal standard metal/rock of "we die young" within 2 years to the undoubtadly different "dirt" which songs such as "sick man", "god smack" and "junk head" are a more than clear indication to...

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by Nellinator
Isn't Rage Against the Machine considered at least partly grunge as well? I like the Nirvana the best out of the grunge era, but AIC is awesome as well, actually I decided I like AIC better than Pearl Jam today. I'd rank the grunge bands like so:
1. Nirvana
2. AIC
3. Pearl Jam
4. Soundgarden (not as grungy as the rest like Deathblow said)
5. Mudhoney (haven't heard enough of them to really rate them though)

RATM is alternative metal/rapcore.

And to Jaden, I think "Heroin" is a great example of Layne's addiction influencing his music. stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Please don't call Rage Against the Machine, rapcore.

-AC

Nellinator
Originally posted by Seraphim XIII
RATM is alternative metal/rapcore. I personally never can see them as grunge, but some people argue otherwise with me.

RedAlertv2
Theyre not grunge.

And rapcore is just a ridiculous term.

Seraphim XIII
Please don't call Rage Against the Machine, rapcore.

-AC

RATM is partially rapcore. Sorry, partner.

Alpha Centauri
RATM is partially rapcore. Sorry, partner.

They're nothing close, because rapcore doesn't exist. It's a tag made up by idiots.

-AC

Nellinator
What do you consider them? Or are you the nonlabeling type (I'm starting to be that way)? I hate the word 'alternative' so alternative metal does nothing for me. I'm not sure what to consider them other than straight up metal.

Alpha Centauri
They're not straight up metal.

They're a rock band with various influences. I don't see why it's necessary to go beyond that. You're doing them the far lesser injustice by being "too broad" than you are by being too specific and pigeonholing them in the wrong place.

-AC

Seraphim XIII
They're nothing close, because rapcore doesn't exist. It's a tag made up by idiots.

-AC

Uh, Rapcore is actually considered a musical genre. So the other genres aren't "Tags made up by idiots"?

Alpha Centauri
Uh, Rapcore is actually considered a musical genre. So the other genres aren't "Tags made up by idiots"?

It's considered a genre by idiots.

-AC

Seraphim XIII
It's considered a genre by idiots.

-AC

I doubt I'm going to experience a differential reply. Okay, Electronica is considered a genre by idiots.

jaden101
I doubt I'm going to experience a differential reply. Okay, Electronica is considered a genre by idiots.

no...because electronica covers quite a huge number of styles

sub genre's of sub genre's that people seem to have the pathetic need to keep layering on as if it somehow proves their musical knowledge are idtiots

hence "rapcore" is a name made up by idiot...

here is a perfect example of an idiot

http://www.last.fm/user/piqquam/journal/2006/05/26/143206/

"shoe gaze post rock"...quite plainly idiotic...isn't it?

Seraphim XIII
Would you call post grunge the same, or are you just slamming your boots on the genre name because it has "Shoe Gaze" in front of it?

jaden101
Would you call post grunge the same, or are you just slamming your boots on the genre name because it has "Shoe Gaze" in front of it?

post grunge isn't even a genre...think about it..."post" grunge...meaning after grunge....that means every piece of music written after grunge music began is "post grunge"....britney spears, post grunge...eminem, post grunge...hence it's idiotic

post rock is even more idiotic...because rock music is still going...so how can anything be "post" rock...

metal probably has the most idiotic sub genres of them all

doom metal????...i mean, seriously...

or take this lovely quote from wiki about metal

"melodeath".... laughing laughing

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by jaden101
post grunge isn't even a genre...think about it..."post" grunge...meaning after grunge....that means every piece of music written after grunge music began is "post grunge"....britney spears, post grunge...eminem, post grunge...hence it's idiotic

post rock is even more idiotic...because rock music is still going...so how can anything be "post" rock...

metal probably has the most idiotic sub genres of them all

doom metal????...i mean, seriously...

or take this lovely quote from wiki about metal

"melodeath".... laughing laughing

What the ... ?

Post-Grunge just means after the Grunge circa, meaning that alot of bands directly after the Grunge age were inspired by them but had a blend of their own style, rendering it post grunge. Just like Rapcore is a hybrid.

Alpha Centauri
Rapcore is a label, a label that is stupid.

It's stupid because out of the many aspects of the band, they choose to label it based on what one man does, which is rap. There are far more reasons for them to be called a rock band, fact.

Rapcore, any -core, is stupid.

-AC

jaden101
What the ... ?

Post-Grunge just means after the Grunge circa, meaning that alot of bands directly after the Grunge age were inspired by them but had a blend of their own style, rendering it post grunge. Just like Rapcore is a hybrid.

but then who are idiotic labellers to say what bands were influenced by what

you cant say that britney wasn't influenced by alice in chains simply because it doesn't show in her music can you?...

similarly a band can emerge that sounds identical to alice in chains yet its possible they never heard of them...

so you cant pigeonhole bands based on what you think their influence are

and if post grunge means "after the grunge circa" then how can something be "post rock" when the rock circa is still happening?

you cant...hence its a stupid label made by stupid people.

Seraphim XIII
Nothing like unexistant justifications?

No musical genre exists.

Alpha Centauri
Why be so stupid as to say no genre exists?

"I can't have it the way I want so I'll go the opposite way.".

Doesn't work that way.

-AC

jaden101
Nothing like unexistant justifications?

No musical genre exists.

perhaps calling everything under a label "music" is a tad extreme...

but i personally dont see a need to go beyond "rock"..."metal"..."classical"..."hip-hop"...etc...only people who are trying to portray themselves as musically intellectual have a need to sub classify music to try and show that they know something other people dont...

SpaceMonkey
AIC is one of my all time favorite bands.

1. Stone Temple Pilots
2. Beatles
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Alice in Chains
5. Pearl Jam

The Core
Why can't there just be bands that defy labels? i.e. (Radiohead, Tool, RATM, Deftones)

They'd all probably found under "Rock", because there isn't an Existential-core, a unique-core, a politi-core, nor a multipleinfluence-core. That said, "Doom Metal" is indeed a very popular, and long standing subgenre of metal. It's not a core, mind you. In a lot of circles, maybe wrongly so, Opeth are considered such.

Alice IN Chains were indeed great, but their last couple of albums seemed to fall on deaf ears. "Heaven Beside You" is a painfully good song.

..by the way, I'm THE CORE, and I do not suck.

jaden101
thats not what the sailors down the docks say...oho ho ho...i do crack myself up sometimes...face it...you really were asking for that one big grin

guy222
I think AIC is one of the greatest bands that came to grace the mainstream.

I think they are very much under-rated and I once did a project in school asking people if they'd bother to listen, and the majority replied with a "No" due to the band name.

What do you think? Do you like Alice In Chains? Do they deserve more respect?

Layne and Cobain. The struggle was so apparent. It was sad when they left us. Man in the Box, Down in a Hole, Would are classics. Respect AIC

Seraphim XIII
Why be so stupid as to say no genre exists?

"I can't have it the way I want so I'll go the opposite way.".

Doesn't work that way.

-AC

No, music genres don't exist. All music genres are tags by idiots.

The Core
Music genres exist. It's a way of diversification, considering not everything is the same.

Silly to suggest otherwise.

Nellinator
The stupidest label I can think of is Symphonic Black Metal. I think I like more genres than Jaden, but I hate having too many.

Alpha Centauri
I can tell someone the differences between black metal and death metal, because they do exist, there's reasons.

I just don't bother dealing with the genres myself, it's just metal to me. It's not me being too broad, because I know the difference, my ears can tell the difference, I don't need to tell myself I'm listening to black metal to know it's black metal, I just know it.

-AC

Seraphim XIII
I can tell someone the differences between black metal and death metal, because they do exist, there's reasons.

I just don't bother dealing with the genres myself, it's just metal to me. It's not me being too broad, because I know the difference, my ears can tell the difference, I don't need to tell myself I'm listening to black metal to know it's black metal, I just know it.

-AC

Same here, but that's just you and me. Others may need to separate the difference. For what relevant purpose? I don't know, because I do not need to review genres.

Rapcore is a genre. Just like anything else.

Alpha Centauri
Rapcore isn't a genre.

The music that is labelled as rapcore exists, but the actual label is pathetic. They're a rock band.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.