Why Spidey doesn't crack jokes in the movie:

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@
It would get too annoying and his jokes would be too lame.
Him showing humor at a dangerous time would show a very immaturity side and his inability to take something like a big fight or someone's life a stake seriously.

Imagine;

Venom: I've got Mary-Jane and I'm going to throw her off this building!
Spidey: *Lame-ass joke*
Venom: Wow. Way to take the situation seriously...

Makes sense. Nearly all the times he's confronted a villain in the movies has been a very serious time, so it's not like he's going to crack some stupid joke.

SpyCspider
IMO...his jokes are gonnabe funny to some, not so funny to others. While reading a comic, you can laugh all you want but in a movie theater, it might come off really lame.

Plus, a wiseass isn't exactly a "good" role model for the kids and you can tell they tried hard to sell that angle with the movies, considering how many times they keep putting in scenes of "great power, comes great responsibility" or Aunt May telling Peter how kids need heroes, etc.

BlackC@
Peter is so much more likeable without the jokes.

steverules
He only made jokes when he fought that wrestler, and his jokes weren't funny

Sparkz
Originally posted by steverules
He only made jokes when he fought that wrestler, and his jokes weren't funny

Thats because the jokes were like your momma insults that you'd hear a 13 year old using and thinking they were brill.

Mace Skywalker
Maybe you should pay more attention. Spidey makes lots of jokes during the movies.

BlackC@
Maybe you should, be he DOESN'T!!!

In the second the only joke he made was "He's your change!"

That was it, idiot...

Spiderman_RJ
oh yah, mace he does.....(o_O)

BC is right on the spot, the reason he doesnt is in first movie his uncle dies, i dont think he would be in a mood to crack a joke,
in the second movie, well look all of the crap he took,not a good moment either, and on this one, he seem very furious, i dont think many jokes will be in it. aside.

steverules
In the spider-man 2 game (ain't played the first) I think he makes quite a few jokes in that

Spiderman_RJ
wth? we are talking about the movies, who cares about a game?
MOOOOOOOOOVIIIIIIIIIIIEE, wake up steve.

steverules
well spider-man 2 game based on the movie...is has something to do with the movie, I know we're talking about the movies which is why I talked about the spider-man 2 game which is linked too the movie...in a way.

Spiderman_RJ
its not linked at all steve ,its only BASED on the movie, like the movie is ADAPTED from the comics.

you really makes no sense at all

steverules
Adapted from the comics...is that why they gave spider-man organic webbing whilst in the comics back then he had web shooters? Look I'm just saying he makes more jokes in the game than he does in the movie.

Sparkz
Originally posted by Spiderman_RJ
oh yah, mace he does.....(o_O)

BC is right on the spot, the reason he doesnt is in first movie his uncle dies, i dont think he would be in a mood to crack a joke,
in the second movie, well look all of the crap he took,not a good moment either, and on this one, he seem very furious, i dont think many jokes will be in it. aside.

But a big part of Spider-man's character is that he still makes jokes in spite of all these things happening to him, after all he could have made a joke in Spider-man 1 after Uncle Ben died after all it wasn't like it had been 2 weeks since he had died, it was a couple of months. Yes when he was going after the burglar he wouldn't but afterwards.

And in Spider-man 2 Spider-man is always going through crap and making jokes.

Its the basis of his character.

Spiderman_RJ
sparkz understand it was the MOOD of the movie, not a matter of time,you get? he had a lost, a tranformation and than another lost, his "almost" father figure, dies, his best friend father dies at his hand (not quite but he is spiderman and blame himself so....)
i believe that in the second movie there could had been fun joke though, the combat scenes were great but there was no dialogue, that i though it was missing.

and you have to think what hapens in comics may not fit in the movie,imagine watching a movie where spiderman is constantly talking to himself like he does, in the comics? great! in the movie...boooooooring.you follow me?

Sparkz
sparkz understand it was the MOOD of the movie, not a matter of time,you get? he had a lost, a tranformation and than another lost, his "almost" father figure, dies, his best friend father dies at his hand (not quite but he is spiderman and blame himself so....)
i believe that in the second movie there could had been fun joke though, the combat scenes were great but there was no dialogue, that i though it was missing.

and you have to think what hapens in comics may not fit in the movie,imagine watching a movie where spiderman is constantly talking to himself like he does, in the comics? great! in the movie...boooooooring.you follow me?

I agree but there were a couple of scenes they could fit some humor in, and maybe give peter Parker more of a personality besides "I wuv Mary Jane, my life sucks, but I wuv Mary Jane" sure its [art of his character, but it's only part of it.

BlackC@
No it's NOT the basis or his character. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Spiderman_RJ
it IS the basis of his character, ever since the first fought chamaleon he made a joke while fighting.

Sparkz
Originally posted by BlackC@
No it's NOT the basis or his character. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Excuse me but you have no right insulting my intelligence over the character as you have obviously no understanding of the character, Spider-man has always always made jokes while he was fighting it is part of his strategy to get the enemy angry and make mistakes, it also sometimes hides his fear, it also allows him to cut loose as a person when he can't as peter Parker for example when he is around Jonah Jameson.

The only time he hasn't made jokes while fighting is when he is seriously depressed and using the identity for an escape or when someone close to him has just died and he is on a mission of vengeance.

Its not his complete character but it is one of his main parts, next thing you'll tell me is that one of Deadpool's main characteristics isn't being an annoying merc with a mouth (At least to the other characters) or one of the Hulks main characteristics isn't being angry. Would you like me to go on or should I stop this rant now... or should we go around the forum asking people whether a major part of Peter's character is being a wise ass?

BlackC@
Jesus H. Christ! Don't get so defensive!

Humor is not the basis of his character.

His mental strength, kidness, shyness, and reliability are the basis of his character.

steverules
word

Dan-El
I do miss the quips... They aren't the world's best jokes, but they're funny because of the situation he's in. I mean, the world's coming down around him, and he has the strength to meet it head on.
When someone, like a reporter, asks him why he did it, whay he saved the world, Spidey would just shrug and say, "I didn't want to miss Letterman," and walk off.

BlackC@
That goes to show he doesn't take his job seriously.

steverules
Is Tobey a funny guy?

Spiderman_RJ
ITS IS NOT! mental strengh;? a guy who feel guilty about EVERYTHING?
you sure dont know what you are talking about.

i'm sticking with sparkz

Dinalfos
There are no jokes because, unlike in comics, movie critics (most of whom are not into comics) aren't going to accept lame ass jokes as part of Peter Parker's genuinly lousy sense of humour. Instead, they are going to hold it against the writer of the screenplay, which would kill the movie.

It's a shame, because the jokes aren't a matter of bad writing, they simply illustrate that Peter is no comedian. The jokes tell you something about the character, not the artistic qualities of the film as a whole.

Dan-El
That goes to show he doesn't take his job seriously.

In a world filled with sickos, lunatics, and nut jobs, it kind of helps to have a sense of humor. Otherwise, you'd go nuts.

BlackC@
^ Not if you have mental strength.

Peter feels guilty because he knows and we all know he is somewhat reponsible for the tragedys that have occured.

Giving up what he wants the most for the best of others is a fantastic strength.

Spiderman_RJ
no that's the point HE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE, he FEELS responsible. did he kill gwen? well untill its retconned ,no! did he kill uncle ben? NO!
so what?^lets say peter had a car and the burglar used that car to ram uncle ben, would that be peters fault? no!

and for sakes he is spiderman not batman!jokes are inehrint to him.

i say this thread has run its corse ,you have no idea what you are talking about.next we are goint to exchange "nice" words to each other to make a point.
IBTL (in before the lock)

Dinalfos
He basically DID kill Gwen, because he snapped her neck.

Spiderman_RJ
he didnt! she was dead before.

Dinalfos
No, he snapped her neck when he tried to catch her with his web. This part is actually retconned.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Dinalfos
No, he snapped her neck when he tried to catch her with his web. This part is actually retconned.

Is that right? I liked it better the old way. When he tried to save her, like a hero.

Dan-El
Well, here's what they say happened to Gwen:

When she fell off of the bridge, medics and doctors say that the shock of falling that far killed her before she reached the water. Her heart couldn't take the strain it was under, the panic and terror were so bad. However, Pete feels responsible since when he did web her ankle, her neck did snap. No matter what the police reports or the autopsy say, he thinks it's his fault.

Spiderman_RJ
i always though the shock of falling lame......what the hell is shock of falling....." oh im falling...arrrrrg im dead"

Dan-El
It's the level of panic you experience. It puts a strain on your heart.

BlackC@
no that's the point HE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE, he FEELS responsible. did he kill gwen? well untill its retconned ,no! did he kill uncle ben? NO!
so what?^lets say peter had a car and the burglar used that car to ram uncle ben, would that be peters fault? no!

and for sakes he is spiderman not batman!jokes are inehrint to him.

i say this thread has run its corse ,you have no idea what you are talking about.next we are goint to exchange "nice" words to each other to make a point.
IBTL (in before the lock)

He is partially responible for Ben's death. Even though Sandman killed him. If Peter had stopped the thug, the thug would have never met up with Flint again. Flint wouldn't need a get-away car because the robbery was never a success and The Police wouldn't have any idea he was in on it. He wouldn't need to steal Uncle Ben's car. So Flint would probably just leave.

No, Gwen wasn't dead before, his web snapped her neck

In reality, this wouldn't happen. Spidey's web is very spongy so the momentum of being caught by his web would slow down because Gwen's weight would strech the web, so there would be little impact, hardly enough to snap her neck.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Sparkz
But a big part of Spider-man's character is that he still makes jokes in spite of all these things happening to him, after all he could have made a joke in Spider-man 1 after Uncle Ben died after all it wasn't like it had been 2 weeks since he had died, it was a couple of months. Yes when he was going after the burglar he wouldn't but afterwards.

And in Spider-man 2 Spider-man is always going through crap and making jokes.

Its the basis of his character.

I agree with this. Spiderman is supposed to have jokes. He's Spiderman. It's one of his best abilties, but this is in the comic. I guess Tobey Maguire just isn't a joke kind of guy. Spiderman himself has some great jokes in the comic. The movie needs to be more like it, jokewise. Look at this thread from another forums. It has a bunch of spiderman jokes. sixteen pages of spideys trash talking. Happy Dance laughing

Best of Spidey's trashtalking
It would be cool if he were as funny in the movies as he was in the comic.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I agree with this. Spiderman is supposed to have jokes. He's Spiderman. It's one of his best abilties, but this is in the comic. I guess Tobey Maguire just isn't a joke kind of guy. Spiderman himself has some great jokes in the comic. The movie needs to be more like it, jokewise. Look at this thread from another forums. It has a bunch of spiderman jokes. sixteen pages of spideys trash talking. Happy Dance laughing

Best of Spidey's trashtalking
It would be cool if he were as funny in the movies as he was in the comic.

I think his jokes are a great weapon. It makes his enemies really mad and then they make mistakes.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by doctorstrongbad
I think his jokes are a great weapon. It makes his enemies really mad and then they make mistakes.

Ya. It works every time! I'm always roling when I read his jokes. laughing eek! big grin

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Ya. It works every time! I'm always roling when I read his jokes. laughing eek! big grin

I'm surprised he had never tried being a comic. He is always trying to make some money for the bills.

Doc Ock
Humour is a foundation part of the Spider-Man character. It's a crying shame Raimi all but ignores it.

BlackC@

Anger actually fuels your strength. He's only making them more powerful. True, some of them lose their focus, but others find they focus more.

BlackC@
I find a lot of those jokes really sad and lame. Thank God he doesn't joke in the movies...

doctorstrongbad
Anger actually fuels your strength. He's only making them more powerful. True, some of them lose their focus, but others find they focus more.

Which bad guys focus more after jokes? Like Doc Ock is a perfect example. He is a genius and makes great plans, but when he loses his cool he does some very stupid things.

Dan-El
Which bad guys focus more after jokes? Like Doc Ock is a perfect example. He is a genius and makes great plans, but when he loses his cool he does some very stupid things.

Or what about the Rhino? Whenever Spidey makes fun of him, Rhino gets pissed and charges! Spidey then jumps out of the way, and Rhino gets his horn stuck/has a building fall on him!

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Dan-El
Or what about the Rhino? Whenever Spidey makes fun of him, Rhino gets pissed and charges! Spidey then jumps out of the way, and Rhino gets his horn stuck/has a building fall on him!

Then there's (ultimate)Electro. Crack one joke about how much of a power house he is or the fact that he can light his own light bulbs and he goe's all
"You going to pay you little yutz!" on you. Then he just rapidly throws a bunch of random bolts at you and misses which usually gets followed up by Spiderman comming down hard on him.

Doc Ock

Ummm, like what??

doctorstrongbad

Yeah that is true. Spidey's jokes can really get to the bad guys.

Dan-El
I think the perfect window to see Spidey's quips through is during the JMS/Romita Jr. run on Amazing Spider-Man.

Of course, I'm a nut for the entire run for so many reasons I've lost count. God I miss Romita Jr...

doctorstrongbad
I think the perfect window to see Spidey's quips through is during the JMS/Romita Jr. run on Amazing Spider-Man.

Of course, I'm a nut for the entire run for so many reasons I've lost count. God I miss Romita Jr...

Yeah I kinda took him for granted, but now that he is gone I know what you mean.

bakerboy
Mmmm. For the people who has said that its impossible to translate the jokes from the comics to a movie. Have you said some movies like die hard series or lethal weapon series?

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by bakerboy
Mmmm. For the people who has said that its impossible to translate the jokes from the comics to a movie. Have you said some movies like die hard series or lethal weapon series?

I agree with that. Maybe 2 or 3 good jokes per movie and I would be happy.

Dan-El
Agreed

doctorstrongbad
Too be honest,I would be happy with just one good joke.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.