Future philosophy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pcp
Has science rendered philosophy redundant and if not, will it?

Atlantis001
Of course not. Philosophy and science are different things.

Hydrono
A lot of philosophy works hand in hand with science.

Grand_Moff_Gav
How can Science render philosophy redundant?

They deal with two very different things...Science doesn't attempt to answer theological or philosophical questions because it can't. Science needs EVIDENCE to reach a conclusion...and there is no clear cut evidence either way in the fields of theology or philosophy thus, science does not comment...Scientific Methodism though, well thats something else entirely...

The Black Ghost
But who looks to philosophy when they can have a clear, proven answer?

Strangelove
Well, because Philosophy and Science are enormously different endeavors, it's impossible for one to render the other redundant. It may be conceivable for Science to render philosophy obsolete, but I doubt that too.

Marxman
Science can't prove what the meaning of life is. Philosophy can ponder this and come up with various answers.

Mindship
I imagine that philosophy will always be a kind of ship's searchlight, helping to find what might lie ahead and initially determining one's course. But it is the ship itself, one of science, which makes the most reliable contact with the ocean of reality.

Speculation precedes experimentation.

rolling on floor laughing

The Black Ghost
Unfortunately though, the great age of thinking has been replaced with the great age of building things to think for us.

Hydrono
Originally posted by Mindship
I imagine that philosophy will always be a kind of ship's searchlight, helping to find what might lie ahead and initially determining one's course. But it is the ship itself, one of science, which makes the most reliable contact with the ocean of reality.

Speculation precedes experimentation.

rolling on floor laughing

Excellent cool

Mindship
Thnx

Regret
Originally posted by pcp
Has science rendered philosophy redundant and if not, will it? Some areas of philosophy will become "out of date". I believe that much of psychological philosophy is heading that way, and with further advances and understanding in neurobiology more and more psychological philosophy will become useless and outdated. In line with this, philosophies dealing with thinking and "mind" will also lose validity and usefulness. Philosophy is most often speculative in nature, as we advance past speculation, we advance past philosophy on that subject.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.