The Sandman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tjcoady
So I just read the Sandman series for the second time, and I've been trying to put the work in perspective. While the allusions in it are often blatantly clear (the greek tragedy arc, the references to the Inferno and Milton) I've been trying to come up with an overarching idea concerning the work, more detailed then simply the "change" motiff. Anyone else read the Sandman and are interested in discussing it?

don't shiv
who's the cute teacher/high order immortall brunette witch chick with round glasses?

delerium is possibly the smartest of the endless, an overtly insane exterior cloaking a cool head. or maybe she just can't handle unlimited knowledge.

destiny Is the one I'd least like to hang with straight-jacket personality. d'rather forge my own future than collapse under the weight of his book

who wouldn't want to roll with The Sandman, sparky yet calm and always in control

Destruction is allright xcept he's forever on clean up duty

who cleans up after destruction? Destruction!

tjcoady
the high order immortal brunette witch chick? you mean thessaly? Er, I think she's introduced in "A Game of You."

what do you think of the idea that each of the Endless represent both sides of themselves (IE Dream is lord/incarnation of both the dreaming and the waking world; Destruction is the same for destruction and creation). it's the idea that Destuction describes after he's found by Morpheous and Delirium.

"V"
I have the entire series sitting in a pile in my cupboard, I have never read them. I read the first issue and didn't like it, couldn't be bothered to read it aswell. It's been in there for a long time.

Endless Mike
what do you think of the idea that each of the Endless represent both sides of themselves (IE Dream is lord/incarnation of both the dreaming and the waking world; Destruction is the same for destruction and creation). it's the idea that Destuction describes after he's found by Morpheous and Delirium.

This is pretty much confirmed when Death brings that golem to life.

don't shiv
thessaly is cute.

Loot
together with watchmen sandman is one of my favorite comic books ever.

Thessaly had a romance with Morpheus

DigiMark007
I think trying to find 1 overarching theme to such a long series might be fruitless.

Very few extended works are allegorical, or have a singular theme carried throughout. Like a good novel, series of films, etc. there's many smaller motifs, themes, ideas, and plot structures.....even Gaiman would be hard pressed to find anything more encompassing.

There's some good books written about the Sandman series though. I'd recommend "The Sandman Papers", though I've seen at least one other book of commentary on the series.

long pig
Most overrated comic ever created.

Mider999
hay do any of you know what this comic crossing midnight has to do with the sandman AT ALL if so let me know private me.

don't shiv
Originally posted by long pig
Most overrated comic ever created.

about 75% of the Sandman is heavy reading

but when Sandman the Series is good its Very Good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.