Why is it that most religion based comics lose interest in fast?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Prophecy
Ok like some reiligion based comics I heard are very boring and become very lame over time why?

Alfheim
Probably becuase they are one dimensional and just look at things from a "religous" point of view instead of being broad minded.

Magee
Religion comics like those Christian propoganda ones for kids?

Endless Mike
Yet Thor is still as popular as he was in the 60s....

Alfheim
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Yet Thor is still as popular as he was in the 60s....

Thor isnt a religous comic though.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Magee
Religion comics like those Christian propoganda ones for kids? Chick Tracts?

grey fox
Nah , if the Norse religion (Paganism? ..i can't even remember) took the world by storm and a few hundred thousand people worshipped it then he'd sink faster then a stone .

willRules
Originally posted by Alfheim
Probably becuase they are one dimensional and just look at things from a "Religious" point of view instead of being broad minded.

If you are talking about comics like preacher or Constantine, they are so incredibly Biblically inaccurate they may as well not be considered Religious comics yes

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by The Prophecy
Ok like some reiligion based comics I heard are very boring and become very lame over time why?

Daredevil is never boring and I doubt it will ever be lame. If it wasn't because of my little issues with Marvel. I would still buy the book.

willRules
Yeah Daredevil rocks yes

Alfheim
Originally posted by grey fox
Nah , if the Norse religion (Paganism? ..i can't even remember) took the world by storm and a few hundred thousand people worshipped it then he'd sink faster then a stone .

Meh, I think it depends on how it was done. No offence sometimes the reason why Chriistanity doesnt appeal to people sometimes is because Jesus was not a warrior.

Sometimes when you see Christians trying to make things like comics it doesnt work because its just too "passive". Im not saying I think Jesus was bad because of the way he was im just saying his caring and loving attitude unfortunately doesnt seem to appeal to people on mass.

In saying that though I have seen some Christain orientated films that I have really loved. Freeway (1996) with Reese Witherspoon is a brilliant Christian film but alot of people wont notice it.

I could really feel the film because it took Chrisnaity and put it in a modern setting, also anybody who is religous could feel the film.

Originally posted by willRules
If you are talking about comics like preacher or Constantine, they are so incredibly Biblically inaccurate they may as well not be considered Religious comics yes

Exactly.

Endless Mike
Thor isnt a religous comic though.

Yes it is. Thor is from a religion. People worshipped him. Some people still do.

Alfheim
Yes it is. Thor is from a religion. People worshipped him. Some people still do.

Well thats what im saying I pray to Thor sometimes and I could be considered to be a heathen (Norse pagan). I dont consider it to be a religous comic because its not made for that purpose its mainly commercial and the Thor comics are not an accurate representation of Norse myths.

Dinalfos
Because religion is a touchy, annoying subject for both theists and atheists. One of the three big monotheistic religions as the main content of a comic just isn't going to sell that well. Or so I think.

Besides, Daredevil isn't a religious comic. Matt is religious, yes, but that's not what the comics are about.

Endless Mike
Well thats what im saying I pray to Thor sometimes and I could be considered to be a heathen (Norse pagan). I dont consider it to be a religous comic because its not made for that purpose its mainly commercial and the Thor comics are not an accurate representation of Norse myths.

Just like 90% of comics based on Christian religious themes.

willRules
In saying that though I have seen some Christain orientated films that I have really loved. Freeway (1996) with Reese Witherspoon is a brilliant Christian film but alot of people wont notice it.

As a Christian myself, whilst I am not opposed to it, I am not usually a fan of Christian movies or comics, but the one movie I do recommend is Bruce Almighty. I cringed when I first heard about it, but I was surprised as it was so tactfully done (And that scene towards the end in the rain with Jim Carey shouting pretty much sums up what it is to be a Christian) yes

Newjak
Well ike most reasons comics fail. Some people just aren't interested.

Another big thing is getting quality writers to do it. Some writers just won't take up the challenge because of the firestorm that can be made if Christians aren't protrayed right or they the writer may take flak for seeming overly bias on the subject.

Basically it boils down to writing. It's hard to base a Christian book on the Bible because then everyone knows the ending at the same time trying to continue that story arc further into modern times and be the central theme takes alot of skill to do so.

The Prophecy
As a Christian myself, whilst I am not opposed to it, I am not usually a fan of Christian movies or comics, but the one movie I do recommend is Bruce Almighty. I cringed when I first heard about it, but I was surprised as it was so tactfully done (And that scene towards the end in the rain with Jim Carey shouting pretty much sums up what it is to be a Christian) yes
I'm a Christian as well and I agree that it's hard to find a good religous based comic or movie.

Alfheim
Just like 90% of comics based on Christian religious themes.

Maybe you have a different defintion of what "religous" means.

I wanna see that. You seen the Truman Show? That seems like the same sort of thing.

Originally posted by Newjak

Basically it boils down to writing. It's hard to base a Christian book on the Bible because then everyone knows the ending at the same time trying to continue that story arc further into modern times and be the central theme takes alot of skill to do so.

It depends on what part of the Bible you base it on and how you do it. Even if you look at the Mu some characters are influenced by the Old Testament for example Lilith is based on the Lilith of the Old Testament who gave birth to monsters.

The Watchers in the MU are actually based on the Nephilim from the Old Testament and the Apochyrpha(dont think I spelt that right). I co

willRules
I wanna see that. You seen the Truman Show? That seems like the same sort of thing.

I have watched the Truman show and it is fantastic. The amount of detail gone into that movie is incredible. There are some loose themes relating to fee will and our roles in life but nothing closely attributed to one faith. It's sorta left open. Great movie though, I highly recommend it yes

Alfheim
I have watched the Truman show and it is fantastic. The amount of detail gone into that movie is incredible. There are some loose themes relating to fee will and our roles in life but nothing closely attributed to one faith. It's sorta left open. Great movie though, I highly recommend it yes

Yeah ive seen the Truman Show, good film.

inamilist
Spirituality is a good device to use as part of a character. Given how the tendency in society is to put "good" value into people who are faithful, a crisis of faith in a character can be a very metaphorically powerful situation.

However, as most people said, this hardly constitutes a religious comic. While it may dictate WHO buys the comic (Christians will probably buy comics about Christians, though I wont argue this further), it still remains true to the rest of the genre because the crisis of faith is still the same TYPE of conflict that heroes go through (switched from man v man to man v self). This is why it works. People can relate any type of conflict to feelings they have themselves, and in this instance, it doesn't matter if the "villain" is Magneto, Atheism, or Capitalism, people will still be able to identify with the struggle.

When something focuses on religion and its doctrine specifically as the motivation for a comic, it becomes very unidentifiable to those who it is not immediately speaking to. A book thats focal point is abstract moral issues, presented in a very "black" and "white" sort of way, doesn't intrigue the reader as much. When the lines are so clearly drawn, it is impossible to relate to the characters, because nobody sees the world as a series of either 100% good or 100% evil acts (especially when referring to the actions they perform themselves). When the conflict of the story is "good" vs "evil" and not "man" vs "something" it also becomes less interesting to the reader. Again, it removes the ability of the reader to identify with the character, simply because in a religious representation of "good" and "evil" people are simply a means to the end of committing one of these acts, in a well written story (and a moral society i may add) people are themselves the end, and the story is read to see what happens to the individual, not to see if "good" will ultimately triumph over "evil".

Alfheim
Originally posted by inamilist
Spirituality is a good device to use as part of a character. Given how the tendency in society is to put "good" value into people who are faithful, a crisis of faith in a character can be a very metaphorically powerful situation.

However, as most people said, this hardly constitutes a religious comic. While it may dictate WHO buys the comic (Christians will probably buy comics about Christians, though I wont argue this further), it still remains true to the rest of the genre because the crisis of faith is still the same TYPE of conflict that heroes go through (switched from man v man to man v self). This is why it works. People can relate any type of conflict to feelings they have themselves, and in this instance, it doesn't matter if the "villain" is Magneto, Atheism, or Capitalism, people will still be able to identify with the struggle.

When something focuses on religion and its doctrine specifically as the motivation for a comic, it becomes very unidentifiable to those who it is not immediately speaking to. A book thats focal point is abstract moral issues, presented in a very "black" and "white" sort of way, doesn't intrigue the reader as much. When the lines are so clearly drawn, it is impossible to relate to the characters, because nobody sees the world as a series of either 100% good or 100% evil acts (especially when referring to the actions they perform themselves). When the conflict of the story is "good" vs "evil" and not "man" vs "something" it also becomes less interesting to the reader. Again, it removes the ability of the reader to identify with the character, simply because in a religious representation of "good" and "evil" people are simply a means to the end of committing one of these acts, in a well written story (and a moral society i may add) people are themselves the end, and the story is read to see what happens to the individual, not to see if "good" will ultimately triumph over "evil".

Smacked it man.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.