Lamest band name of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EPIIIBITES
What band or artist name do you hate the most?

My vote: Hootie and the Blowfish...seriously, did they lose a bet or something?

Bardiel13
If stage names count, I'm gonna have to go with any rapper who uses "lil" or "young" in their name.

Captain Maynard
Tool
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin

Are all good at what they do.

Victor Von Doom
Biffy Clyro;

Keane;

Mull Historical Society.

The Core
Limp Bizkit

Victor Von Doom
Good one.

Arctic
Pink Floyd...why would you name your band after some gym teacher.

Deathblow
Pavement.

Great band, but such an unutterably dull name.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
What band or artist name do you hate the most?

My vote: Hootie and the Blowfish...seriously, did they lose a bet or something?
Panic! At The Disco... I mean... What the ****?

The Core
There are a couple of theories swirling about regarding that name.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by The Core
There are a couple of theories swirling about regarding that name. Do embellish, I can't say I've done my research.

The Core
Eh..something about The Smiths, and a song titled "Panic" with a line about "burning down the disco". Another one from a band called High and Low, and a song called "Panic". I just wiki'ed it, anyway. Not very conclusive.

Arctic
"The String Cheese Incident"...Strange, strange name. And..."I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness." Both pretty wierd names.

Kid Kurdy
Puff Daddy / P. Diddy

Alpha Centauri
The ones VVD said, especially MHS, plus Death Cab for Cutie, and any band that omit letters.

Eg; Trapt, Staind.

-AC

Bardock42
Eh..something about The Smiths, and a song titled "Panic" with a line about "burning down the disco". Another one from a band called High and Low, and a song called "Panic". I just wiki'ed it, anyway. Not very conclusive.

Panic is a good song.

Linkin Park annoys me somehow.

I also don't like the name Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
Puff Daddy / P. Diddy
You forgot "Diddy"...or is that one ok? wink

Alpha Centauri
End of Level Boss is both good and shit, somehow.

Gay for Johnny Depp is lame in a funny way.

Metric always seems like a dull name, though I do like them a bit. Same with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, who I like more...than that.

Bowling for Soup is up there with the genuinely deplorable ones.

-AC

EPIIIBITES
Ugly Kid Joe...oh my. That band was destined to be a one-hit wonder

Arctic
"Goatwhore".....yeah....

Marxman
The Beatles. Not many people like the bug, why name your band after it?

manorastroman
pavement's a great name, perfectly encapsulates the slacker mythos of malkmus. has anyone heard the story of when damon albarn invited steve malkmus to his house? it's a doosy.

any nu-metal or post-grunge band. staind, korn, puddle of mudd...

red hot chili peppers, chocolate USA...

Arctic
Cake...

The Core
IRRC, Korn picked their name on purpose. Like most bands should, letting their music define who they were, not the name.

Arctic
Meatloaf

Alpha Centauri
IRRC, Korn picked their name on purpose. Like most bands should, letting their music define who they were, not the name.

I thought they picked it by accident, Cine.

"What shall we call our ba...OH SHIT!" "What's wrong, Jonathan?" "We're called Korn." "F*ck saaaaake.".

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I thought they picked it by accident, Cine.

"What shall we call our ba...OH SHIT!" "What's wrong, Jonathan?" "We're called Korn." "F*ck saaaaake.".

-AC

I think the Creedence Clearwater Revival probably got their Band name by each writing down a random word....that seems like the only possibility to me.

Arctic
Yeah that band name is pretty much stupid.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Arctic
Yeah that band name is pretty much stupid.

No...not really. That's just the way it came about.

Nickelback on the other hand is quite a shitty name. I am kidding of course. Not worse than...others.

EPIIIBITES
Wheatus, Better Than Ezra and Hoobastank I think are all pretty shite names.

Arctic
Yeah Nickelback might not be an astoundingly creative name, but its pretty cool.

Funkadelic
Meatloaf.

There was like a dude who asked me if I knew them.

I was like 'Meatloaf' WTF?
I don't wanna know dudes with such a stupid name.

lol

BackFire
Cradle of Filth.

I hate everything about them, I want them dead, but more importantly, I want their fans to look up in the sky after hearing about the sexual and mental torture and anguish of the members of the band, only to see clumps of shit (preferably, shit infected with AIDS) falling down upon them from the heavens.

Alpha Centauri
Hahaha, why did I actually know you'd say that?

-AC

Arctic
Man you have a twisted mind, BackFire.

BackFire
Hahaha, why did I actually know you'd say that?

-AC

Because you think they're name is shitty too.

At least, for your sake, I hope you do.

Alpha Centauri
No, I don't think they are name is shitty.

-AC

Lana
Man you have a twisted mind, BackFire.

You'll get used to it fairly quickly.

Anyway, for lamest name I suppose I would have to say Limp Bizkit tops it for me. So stupid.

BackFire
No, I don't think they are name is shitty.

-AC

Why do you do this to yourself?

I specifically told you it was in your own best interest to agree that their name is shitty, you could have lied, you could have convinced yourself that it was a shitty name (not that hard to do) or you could have simply said nothing and I would have come to the conclusion that you agreed with me. But no, you disagreed, and now....now.....I'm going to invade your cradle of filth.

PS: The lead singer's name is Danny Filth, either he changed his name to that, which is the laziest attempt at being provocative I've encountered this side of Lucifer Valentine (look him up on IMDB) or it's his real name, which is just his parents way of recognizing in advance that he's a waste of flesh and blood and should be sold to a local animal hospital for spare parts.

Alpha Centauri
I was pointing out the grammatical error.

In actual fact, it's spelled DANI, and he did legally have his name changed to that from Daniel Davey (Can't blame the man).

-AC

BackFire
Daniel Davey > Dani (gay way to spell Danny) Filth (gay way to describe the things he does to other men, and the music he makes).

By the way, I don't appreciate you pointing out my error. Shit, I don't come to your work and make fun of you for not cupping the balls, do I? Give the same courtesy to me, woman.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by BackFire
Daniel Davey > Dani (gay way to spell Danny) Filth (gay way to describe the things he does to other men, and the music he makes).

By the way, I don't appreciate you pointing out my error. Shit, I don't come to your work and make fun of you for not cupping the balls, do I?

Hahahahaha.

I heard about that.

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by Marxman
The Beatles. Not many people like the bug, why name your band after it?
The name they used before "The Beatles" was "The Silver Beatles", and that was - I think - a little bit better.

And the name Beatles itself was a reference to "Buddy Holly and the Crickets." The reason why they wrote Beatles instead of Beetles, was to emphasize the beat sound.

There, finished.

Alpha Centauri
Bit of a shit name, though.

I think one of the worst is definitely Bowling for Soup. Also The Killers.

-AC

Kid Kurdy
Oh well, it didn't stop them to become the most famous band ever.

Imagine what how big they could have become if they actually had a cool name.

Slay
Godspeed You Black Emperor...

The Core
Eagles of Death Metal, also. Silly name for a pop rock band.

Kid Kurdy
…And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

Bardock42
Originally posted by Slay
Godspeed You Black Emperor...

Jesus ****ing blasphemy bastard.

Not a bandname. What you are, Slay.

Alpha Centauri
Oh well, it didn't stop them to become the most famous band ever.

Imagine what how big they could have become if they actually had a cool name.

Like Wings.

-AC

AozorA
Must say I really really really hate Fall Out Boy. Them and Panic! At the Disco just really really annoy me

EPIIIBITES
Yes, both those two are quite annoying names.

Can't believe I didn't think of this one yet..."The Artist Formerly Known as Prince", "The Artist", or " http://fourfour.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/symbol.jpg"

As much as I enjoy him as an artist...what a total knob job.

§P0oONY

Can't believe I didn't think of this one yet..."The Artist Formerly Known as Prince", "The Artist", or " http://fourfour.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/symbol.jpg"

As much as I enjoy him as an artist...what total knob job.
Haha! I much agree.

DarkC
Hoobastank.

Funkadelic
Brides of Dr. Funkenstein

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Animal Liberation Orchestra is an appalling name. So is Mr. Bungle, especially considering the fact (FACT) that they're a band with people in. Fact. Stupid.

Originally posted by Bardock42
I also don't like the name Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Sacre bleu! It's because they're hot...and spicy!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Animal Liberation Orchestra is an appalling name. So is Mr. Bungle, especially considering the fact (FACT) that they're a band with people in. Fact. Stupid.

Sacre bleu! It's because they're hot...and spicy!

No doubt. The name still annoys me. Fact.

It is shit. Opinion.

Not mine though.

WrathfulDwarf
Certain alternative bands from the 90's

The Lemons, The Cranberries, Garbage, etc...

ElectricBugaloo
I've got to add The Good, The Bad and the Queen to the ranks, even if it isn't technically their band name (they don't really have one).

But after seeing who is in the band, I really look forward to hearing the album.

The Core
It's pretty original sounding, but I honestly think Damon Albarn is spreading himself thin.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bardock42
Jesus ****ing blasphemy bastard.

Not a bandname. What you are, Slay.

Yeah.

As much as I enjoy him as an artist...what a total knob job.

He was never called 'The Artist...' etc.

el_barto
…And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

*Audible gasp*

Bardiel13
Dick Delicious and the Tasty Testicles.

Oh, this isn't the GREATEST BAND NAME EVAR!!! thread? My mistake...

The Core
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom

Yes, he was.

"The Artist" @ About.com

"The Artist" @ Wikipedia

He also released a DVD under the moniker.

I even recall that.

Alpha Centauri
Yes, informally, known as, not actually called.

He never explicitly went by "The Artist" under his own admission.

-AC

Funkadelic
He refused to continue using the name Prince, So he put an unpronouncable symbol on his albums instead or a pseudonym like 'Tora Tora' or 'Azifwekare'. The media came up with that "The Artist Formerly....." crap. Although around 1998-1999 he advertised to be called simply "The artist" instead of the media's 'TAFKAP'

And his liberation thing was not as stupid as some believe.
He probably earned more bucks 4 Crystal Ball then 4 Purple Rain.
Per Crystal Ball sold he earns 40 bucks and per Purple rain 1 buck.

Quiero Mota
Pink Floyd...why would you name your band after some gym teacher.

That's exactly how Lynard Skynard chose their band's name: after their gym teacher, Leonard Skinner.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Funkadelic
He refused to continue using the name Prince, So he put an unpronouncable symbol on his albums instead or a pseudonym like 'Tora Tora' or 'Azifwekare'. The media came up with that "The Artist Formerly....." crap. Although around 1998-1999 he advertised to be called simply "The artist" instead of the media's 'TAFKAP'

And his liberation thing was not as stupid as some believe.
He probably earned more bucks 4 Crystal Ball then 4 Purple Rain.

No, he legally changed his name to the symbol. Everyone else made up the rest, not him. He never officially condoned any name like that.

"Prince Rogers Nelson (born June 7, 1958), known from 1993 to 2000 as (or informally, The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, TAFKAP, or simply The Artist)."

Informally.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You guys are more anal than an anus that has a separate little pet anus called 'Anus'.

The Core
Well, not to split hairs, but the media didn't release his DVD, a 1999 concert, under the psuedonym "The Artist", atleast recognized by Amazon. In the UK, he obviously was still recognized by the name "Prince".

UK DVD:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ENV57A.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

US DVD:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00004Y2QT.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Formally, informally, he was still recognized by the name "The Artist", so we're both right. It's not even that big a deal.

I can swing by Paisley Park and ask him, though. He's only 15 minutes from me.

Alpha Centauri
Formally, informally, he was still recognized by the name "The Artist", so we're both right. It's not even that big a deal.

He wasn't technically ever called those things, not by his admission.

I can swing by Paisley Park and ask him, though. He's only 15 minutes from me.

Laaaaaaaaame. Have you ever actually been there?

-AC

The Core
Paisley Park's like the studio version of Fort Knox. They hardly ever hold concerts there anymore since the expansion. My girlfriend's brother went to the last show, which was the during the "Rave" concert footage shoot.

Otherwise, it's rarely open to the public.

Funkadelic

Otherwise, it's rarely open to the public.

There r questions if there even is any activity in Paisley park these days. And there have been massive 7 day 'celebrations after that date with 7 days of Prince and related artists in concert.

And the cover says o(+> in concert. (I own it)
The first is some lame semi-official rerelease.

And sorry 4 the paisley-head discussion.

lol

The Core
According to a concert chronicle, as of 2005, the last time he played at Paisley was a few dates in 2001. There's plenty of stuff going down there, though. They make records, score films, etc.

Bloigen
Men Without Hats.

Just, just lame.

Victor Von Doom
Yes, he was.

"The Artist" @ About.com

"The Artist" @ Wikipedia

He also released a DVD under the moniker.

I even recall that.

No, he wasn't.

I clearly have an ellipsis at the end, to signify the rest of the phrase that I couldn't be bothered to type.

As well as the word 'etc'.

The Core

His first example being "The Artist", you deny. Just because he never referred to himself as such, doesn't mean he wasn't referred to as it. He was, and I provided some examples.

His second example being the "glyph", when matching examples, would be your "etc", thus you denying he ever went by that, is false as well.

If you're out to make a point, you shouldn't use an ellipsis, or leave it open ended. Even more importantly when there are provable variables to suggest he had multiple aliases, because he always, factually, went by TAFKAP, which is what led to him being dubbed "The Artist".

Funkadelic
He went as : o(+> and not as TAFKAP.
The media called him that, but his name was NEVER TAFKAP.

Victor Von Doom
His first example being "The Artist", you deny. Just because he never referred to himself as such, doesn't mean he wasn't referred to as it. He was, and I provided some examples.

I didn't say he wasn't called 'The Artist', quite clearly. Show me where I have said he isn't called 'The Artist', and you win the prize. Your following sentences were pointless, because (and I think you do know), it's not what I said. I said he wasn't called 'The Artist...' etc. The ellipsis does have an actual meaning, it's not just my lack of speed lifting off the full stop key, or debbiejo type spasticity.

His second example being the "glyph", when matching examples, would be your "etc", thus you denying he ever went by that, is false as well.

You are right there. It is false that I denied that, because that would be silly, given that it's on much of his later work. The 'etc' referred to the missing words. I think that is clear, you obviously had trouble with it. It's fine if you misunderstood, but don't tell me what I meant.

If you're out to make a point, you shouldn't use an ellipsis, or leave it open ended. Even more importantly when there are provable variables to suggest he had multiple aliases, because he always, factually, went by TAFKAP, which is what led to him being dubbed "The Artist".

It's not open ended. There are three options, only one of them involves the words 'The Artist...' followed by more words (etc).

If you imagined that I meant he wasn't called the other two, I didn't. So let's move on from that.

On to the interesting point: where is the evidence that he 'he always, factually, went by TAFKAP'?

The Core
If you imagined that I meant he wasn't called the other two, I didn't.

All I needed to hear.

I, personally, can't prove it, but considering it was his only true designation, in spoken word at the time, I took it to be "fact".

Victor Von Doom
It wasn't self-created.

The Core
Neither are most nicknames people are identified by, but it's no means for endless semantics.

Victor Von Doom
Neither are most nicknames people are identified by, but it's no means for endless semantics.

A nickname doesn't really qualify as a band name though, does it?

Fair enough, the symbol. The TAFKAP thing was made up by some random journalist.

Seems a bit amiss to include it in this thread.

The Core
Well, not necessarily "nicknames", but terms of endearment, for lack of a better term. The Grateful Dead never really endorsed "The Dead", but when we use the phrase, it's the only band people associate with it.

There's no real way of verbally identifying an artist who uses an androgynous glyph for his namesake. Something came about, seemingly in spite, and it stuck.

So, to have made all this pertinent again, http://fourfour.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/symbol.jpg, aka "Androgynous Glyph", is arguably the lamest band name/identifing mark of all time.

Victor Von Doom
Nah.

Puddle of Mudd ennit.

Arctic
Well, not necessarily "nicknames", but terms of endearment, for lack of a better term. The Grateful Dead never really endorsed "The Dead", but when we use the phrase, it's the only band people associate with it.

There's no real way of verbally identifying an artist who uses an androgynous glyph for his namesake. Something came about, seemingly in spite, and it stuck.

So, to have made all this pertinent again, http://fourfour.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/symbol.jpg, aka "Androgynous Glyph", is arguably the lamest band name/identifing mark of all time.

Yes. That is a very, very, very lame band name. sick

manorastroman
arctic monkeys. i hate british press so, so much.

Funkadelic
Yes. That is a very, very, very lame band name. sick

Prince is not a band.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

And I think it was awesome. lol

Other lame names:

Mc Fly (I mean really!)
Black Eyed Peas
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Spice Girls
The JB's
New Power Generation

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I've already explained that Red Hot Chili Peppers is not a lame band name.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I've already explained that Red Hot Chili Peppers is not a lame band name.

You are a lame band name!!!!!

jaden101
toad the wet sprocket

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.