Superman's flight...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fianchettoer
How exactly does Superman fly? I know he is a highly evolved specimen from Krypton, and in his description at the beginning of the first Superman comic, it is said that Kal-El would be able to accomplish great feats such as super strength, invulnerability, so on and so forth. How, though, is he able to fly? If anything, being highly evolved would entail his jumping super high, right? He'd be more comparable to the Juggernaut. He has no aerodynamic body as birds do...it's just like a human's aside from the perks. What gives?

Symmetric Chaos
The mechanism by which he flies is unknown, but some suggestions have been a field of energy allowing unconscious manipulation of gravity or defract/reflect of gravity due to unidentified Kryptonian organs affected by a yellow sun, or psionic manipulation of a personal anti-gravitational aura, which is also caused by his Kryptonian cells and a yellow sun. Superman has been able to fly to the moon in under two minutes. During the Silver Age of comics, Superman could fly at superluminal speeds, allowing him to traverse intergalactic space and to break the time barrier.

SupaEZE
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The mechanism by which he flies is unknown, but some suggestions have been a field of energy allowing unconscious manipulation of gravity or defract/reflect of gravity due to unidentified Kryptonian organs affected by a yellow sun, or psionic manipulation of a personal anti-gravitational aura, which is also caused by his Kryptonian cells and a yellow sun. Superman has been able to fly to the moon in under two minutes. During the Silver Age of comics, Superman could fly at superluminal speeds, allowing him to traverse intergalactic space and to break the time barrier.

what he said...........................................

Endless Mike
I think it might be some kind of space warp thing.

((The_Anomaly))
Batman pulled one of his anti-grav devices off his belt and gave it to Supes...obviously.

doan_m
^ *gasp* you know Supermans darkest secrets!!

aldisyoyo
how'd superman returns end?

BlackC@
His body creates gravitons which create waves, he is able to ride off these waves and fly. This was a theory thought by scientists studying Superman and coming up with plausible explanations for his powers.

Perhaps it has something to do with magnitism. He can draw himself towards or push himself away from the Earth.

Cybervader
"He wud defy their gravity" - Superman I

Defying gravity makes him float, and his super-strength thus compels him forward enabling him to fly.

Superman used to jump from one building to the other though. He didn't originally fly. So really, he flies because the creators made him. End of story.

FistOfThe North
The real question is, is how can he fly and lift multi-ton objects at the same time while in the air and, sometimes, while at high speeds. That right there just doubly defies his flight.

But anyway. I think he just uses sheer will to fly. Sheer Kryptonian will, which i'm assuming is way more stronger than ours is. As humans.

Mindship
I propose that Superman flies via the same mechanism which makes him invulnerable: his bioelectric aura.

For invulnerability, his aura is scalar: it's a magnitude of energy with no direction. By willpower, affecting the cells of his body and thus the aura, he can turn it into a vector: magnitude with direction.

Donkey Punch
Originally posted by Mindship
I propose that Superman flies via the same mechanism which makes him invulnerable: his bioelectric aura.

For invulnerability, his aura is scalar: it's a magnitude of energy with no direction. By willpower, affecting the cells of his body and thus the aura, he can turn it into a vector: magnitude with direction.

I've heard his CNS is made out of a Super conductor, and the high enrgy voltage that is sent through it allows him to create an Anti gravity effect. smile

Donkey Punch
Plus Im not sure if he actually has a bio electrical aura anymore, especially since the Birthright retcon

Mindship
Originally posted by Donkey Punch
Plus Im not sure if he actually has a bio electrical aura anymore, especially since the Birthright retcon
*sigh* ...back to the drawing board...

Mindship
I just did a little research into Birthright Superman, and it seems the bioelectric aura is still a go. big grin

Donkey Punch
I just did a little research into Birthright Superman, and it seems the bioelectric aura is still a go. big grin

In birth right we find out that his costume is indestructible, when he attains it from his space ship. This cancel the need for his bio electrical aura. smile

Mindship
What about his face and hands, or when he doesn't wear the costume?

Donkey Punch
What about his face and hands, or when he doesn't wear the costume?

The costume doesn't make him indestructible .... laughing

Sorry i wasn't very clear, his molecular density provides him with his invulnerability. The bio electrical aura was invented by Bryne to provide a suitable explanation for why his clothes where rarely ever destroyed, as the bio aura could encompass his skin tight costume as well as his body. Since Birthright, and the use of the indestructible clothing again there is no need for his bio electrical aura. smile

Mindship
Originally posted by Donkey Punch
The costume doesn't make him indestructible .... laughing

Sorry i wasn't very clear, his molecular density provides him with his invulnerability. The bio electrical aura was invented by Bryne to provide a suitable explanation for why his clothes where rarely ever destroyed, as the bio aura could encompass his skin tight costume as well as his body. Since Birthright, and the use of the indestructible clothing again there is no need for his bio electrical aura. smile
Personally, I always liked the pre-crisis idea that anything which came from Krypton became indestructible under a yellow sun...a nice consistency. Plus, the bioelectric aura raised other questions.

Donkey Punch

ragesRemorse
gravity. thats how he flies.

vader11
Not sure.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.