Sad Songs That You Don't Realize Are Sad At First

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Marxman
I got into a discussion with my friend the other day about Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville". I mentioned how sad of a song it is if you listen to the lyrics, but you don't realize it listening to the music. I mean, the song definitely sounds like something you'd play at a beach party, and many of the mindless pop whores I know will play this song at such events.

But when listening to the actual song, he's talking about drinking away his sorrows. He starts the song off talking about wasting time on his porch, playing his guitar and watching the sun bathers. The next verse is about a tattoo he got when he was wasted. He then talks about making a margarita which helps him hang on.

And I realized that there's a lot of songs like this in classic rock. Pretty depressing songs that are popular and I don't think many of the listeners actually realize it, especially those who are the kids of the people that listened to these songs.

Thoughts? Comments?

EPIIIBITES
Maybe "today" by smashing pumpkins

§P0oONY
I didn't realise "Perfect Day" was sad until I was about 12 or something.

Bardock42
"Girlfriend in a Coma"

Alpha Centauri
1999 by Prince.

People dance around to that at parties, discos etc, not realising the song is able to be interpreted as a man who is partying because he is about to die.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bardock42
"Girlfriend in a Coma"

I think of it the other way round. Superficially 'sad', but funny.

I'd go with 'Only in Dreams' by Weezer.

RedAlertv2
Sea Anemone by Jets to Brazil. At first its a smooth, relaxing song. But once I paid attention to the lyrics I realized there's a lot of pain in them.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I think of it the other way round. Superficially 'sad', but funny.

I'd go with 'Only in Dreams' by Weezer.

Yeah, but did you consider that you are wrong?

Victor Von Doom
Yeah, but did you consider that you are wrong?

Momentarily, but precedent convinced me otherwise.

Bardock42
Momentarily, but precedent convinced me otherwise.

Precedent shmecedent....

Anyways, I replied to it in this way:

Melody is all..haha
Lyrics are all...haha, she's dying..haha...that's actually pretty sad.

Of course only if you can feel sadness.

Victor Von Doom
I always found the tone to be light. Despite the subject matter, which of course is partly what makes it funny.

EPIIIBITES
Yeah. I always thought of it as very typical Morrisey to put such grim lyrics with that music in such a quirky and bold fashion to get a kick...who really knows though. I think just he meant it to be ambiguous and intriguing.

Polly - Nirvana

Bardock42
I always found the tone to be light. Despite the subject matter, which of course is partly what makes it funny.

...yet sad?

I mean, there is humour. No doubt about it. But the humour comes from it being...well, sad. Or so I assume. Not understanding British humour at all.

Victor Von Doom
...yet sad?

I mean, there is humour. No doubt about it. But the humour comes from it being...well, sad. Or so I assume. Not understanding British humour at all.

Well, what do you interpret the narrator's position as? I don't personally see a sad element in it, at least not directly enough to call it a sad song.

Bardock42
Well, what do you interpret the narrator's position as? I don't personally see a sad element in it, at least not directly enough to call it a sad song.

Well, i wouldn't say the narrator is sad. I think from an outside perspective the whole thing is sad.

Though I guess you could say some sort of sadness is apparent.

"Do you really think
Shell pull through ?"

"but you know, I would hate
Anything to happen to her
Would you please
Let me see her !"

"Let me whisper my last goodbyes"

A bit as if the narrator is too shocked to understand, yet. Maybe he thought she would be fine and now that doesn't .... seem to be the case.

Now, assuming that generally guys kinda like their girlfriends...and that girlfriend dies...it seems sad. Though, in that particular case it might be different. I wouldn't say it is a very happy song. Though I've seen it happen, in other people's lives.

Victor Von Doom
Well, i wouldn't say the narrator is sad. I think from an outside perspective the whole thing is sad.

Though I guess you could say some sort of sadness is apparent.

"Do you really think
Shell pull through ?"

"but you know, I would hate
Anything to happen to her
Would you please
Let me see her !"

"Let me whisper my last goodbyes"

A bit as if the narrator is too shocked to understand, yet. Maybe he thought she would be fine and now that doesn't .... seem to be the case.

Now, assuming that generally guys kinda like their girlfriends...and that girlfriend dies...it seems sad. Though, in that particular case it might be different. I wouldn't say it is a very happy song. Though I've seen it happen, in other people's lives.

I don't read it that way, I see it as the narrator has been complicit somehow, and is checking that she won't recover, while being falsely concerned.

Though, why did you not realise (your reading) was sad at first?

The song is called 'Girlfriend in a Coma'.

Bardock42
I don't read it that way, I see it as the narrator has been complicit somehow, and is checking that she won't recover, while being falsely concerned.

Though, why did you not realise (your reading) was sad at first?

The song is called 'Girlfriend in a Coma'.

...you..monster. No seriously, how do you read that into it. Why would he not want to see her at first then? Also...why would he say that there were times that he could have murdered her?

Don't understand sentence. Go on.

Hehe, no it's not, you added the "".

EPIIIBITES
Ahh. Now that song's stuck in my head!

Victor Von Doom
...you..monster. No seriously, how do you read that into it. Why would he not want to see her at first then? Also...why would he say that there were times that he could have murdered her?

Guilt, ennit.

Bardock42
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Ahh. Now that song's stuck in my head!

There are worse songs for that.

Bardock42
Guilt, ennit.

Well, I guess you could read it that way.

The "Do you really think she'll pull through" as being scared that she might.

Still, I win. Cause if he murdered her it is certainly a sad song...for her. Being murdered and all. Also, dead.

Victor Von Doom

Still, I win. Cause if he murdered her it is certainly a sad song...for her. Being murdered and all. Also, dead.

You'd realise it at first though.

IE, f-from the title.

(I win).

Bardock42
You'd realise it at first though.

IE, f-from the title.

(I win).

Yes, I would. As would you.

But most people are stupid.

And listen to the melody.

Which is tragically gay. In a not Morrissey way.

A.k.a. I win afterall.

Victor Von Doom
The intro sounds like Postman Pat.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but you will now.

(If you've heard Postman Pat).

Bardock42
The intro sounds like Postman Pat.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but you will now.

(If you've heard Postman Pat).

Which I never did.

Anyways, it is late. And sadly I don't see a chance to get the last word in here. Despite just winning life, the thread and the Universe. Also a girlfriend in a coma.

So I shall leave you.

Arctic
No I win.

Funkadelic
Hey Joe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.