Born in the wrong time period.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
I'm posting this here cause, well it's not religious and not philosophy so I take my chances with the ____ here.......

OK, I know that many people feel that they feel quite different living with in this. They feel they should of been better equipped to live earlier or even later in time. I felt this was interesting and asked why. My question, do you feel that you might have been better suited or make some sort of difference to live in a different century than now an if so why? What makes you think that you could of done better there as you do now.............places like ancient Egypt, Sumerian, Wild west, Victorian, Civil war, Normandy, Inquisitions, Biblical, WWI or WWII, Vietnam Other cultures. Shakespearean times, Nomadic. Explorers, Conquerors..ie Alexander the Great, Phoenicians,

Has anyone ever thought the greater they could of done if they lived at a different time period..And if so, what would you have done different, not just military, but in daily life to make a difference.......

Say what you think your passion and work would of been if not in this century..

What difference could you have made.

Capt_Fantastic
Given the basis for our modern calenders, from ancient Eygptian times to the redefining of the christian calender, we already live in a different time. We just don't realize it.

debbiejo
No no, I meant if you could chose then what perid of time would you feel more acceptable to you and your comfort zone.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by debbiejo
No no, I meant if you could chose then what perid of time would you feel more acceptable to you and your comfort zone.

Yeah, I get the question.

But to answer it, I'm not very comfortable with the here & now. So going backwards doesn't appeal to me.

And while on some level I think I could have been Alexander the Great, I wouldn't want to risk having to drink dirty water or not have deodorant. So I'll stick with this time period.

Badabing
I would have liked to live in the mid to late 1800's, early to mid 1900's and perhaps 100 - 150 years from now.

Naz
I only want to live in a time period where I can wear big poofy pretty dresses and all day and all the men are chivalrous.

Sado22
I would love to live in times when your worth as a person didn't depend on how much you earn but on your character and dignity. i want to live in times when a person were free to work as whatever they wanted. i want life to simple and not a rat race, where bankbalance, appearance and facades make respect, personality and dignity take a back seat.

also, debbie you'r easking what difference could we have made. but no matter what time or age it was, it always has been the rich and those in influence who have altered the course of history and people. even when regular masses moved, like in the French Revolution for example, even then they were being led by a certain person or people. unless there isn't someone to lead regular people will always remain waiting for that certain someone who would lead them and be their messiah or savior.

~Sado

botankus
I wish I was born right now so I could enjoy all this technology these future brats are going to get gift-wrapped in 14 years or so. Of course if I were born now I wouldn't mind it one bit because I wouldn't know any better because my ADHD mind would be too occupied by the silver platter shoved up my ass.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Yeah, I get the question.

But to answer it, I'm not very comfortable with the here & now. So going backwards doesn't appeal to me.

And while on some level I think I could have been Alexander the Great, I wouldn't want to risk having to drink dirty water or not have deodorant. So I'll stick with this time period.
thats a bold statement.

Lord Urizen
I wish I could either live in:

Ancient Greece where homoness was not only totally acceptable, but the norm....that would have been fun....

OR

During the 60's, U.S.A. so I could have experienced flower power, wild free orgies, and eventually Studio 54

botankus
No, Urizen, I think you should have gone back to the Gay 20's and tried to tell them the true meaning behind the name, and that they have it all wrong.

Edit: I don't think there actually was a Gay 20's, but who cares.

WrathfulDwarf
I should be in the Future.

Mindship
I would've liked to have "come of age" in the 1960s. I don't / never did / never will identify with rampant cosumerism.

Either that, or be born 10,000 years from now.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

You are in the future.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You are in the future.

Uh-uh....present.

Shakyamunison
Uh-uh....present.

And the future and the past. wink

grey fox
And the future and the past. wink

...cosmic.

Anyway , I'd personally like to live in the 1800's , 1870 up to around 1980's

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by grey fox
...cosmic.

Anyway , I'd personally like to live in the 1800's , 1870 up to around 1980's

?cosmic

I simply believe in simultaneous incarnation. What that means to me is that all my past lives and future lives are happening now. That is because time is an illusion, and all that exists is now. This is just my belief, and I cannot prove it, however, it brings up the possibility that we are all living in the past present and future.

grey fox
?cosmic

I simply believe in simultaneous incarnation. What that means to me is that all my past lives and future lives are happening now. That is because time is an illusion, and all that exists is now. This is just my belief, and I cannot prove it, however, it brings up the possibility that we are all living in the past present and future.

It's a joke from the simpsons.

Someone speaks about something very philosophical and dimensional etc and Homer just pauses and goes '....Cosmic'

sithsaber408
I think that here and now is one of the most exciting times to be alive.

I personally feel that many things will happen in my lifetime that will change the destiny of our world.

As for the past, I guess the 50's when things were supposed to be easier and people more friendly to their neighbors and stuff, although discrimination against minorities and women kinda sours it. erm

I would say then that it would be to live in Israel during the 3 years of Christ's ministry.

I wouldn't want to live there and spend my whole life in those times, but to see him and his sermons and miracles would be unbelievable.

As it is now, I've seen some healings and prophecy. In fact, 4 weeks ago at a youth Encounter event we had 400 young people and on the last night about a hundred of them were baptized by the Holy Spirit at once and were speaking in tongues. One kid was healed of asthma on the spot and another of diabetes. eek!

However, to see Jesus Himself heal the blind, the lepers, cast out demons, walk on water, feed 5,000 with loaves of bread and fish, and raise Lazarus from the dead.......

would go beyond anything I've seen here on earth.

Help
Originally posted by Naz
I only want to live in a time period where I can wear big poofy pretty dresses and all day and all the men are chivalrous.

We are chilvarous... most of the time.... some of the time... rarely

I think i could've made a difference during WWI you know i'd probably have been the guy to shoot hitlers dad or something...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Help
We are chilvarous... most of the time.... some of the time... rarely

I think i could've made a difference during WWI you know i'd probably have been the guy to shoot hitlers dad or something...

If you shot Hitlers dad in WWI, it would have just pissed Hitler off. Hitler was alive and a soldier in WWI. laughing

dirkdirden
I'd like to live through the Boshin war in Japan Samurai style.

FistOfThe North
I sometimes wish to be born in the future. Say like 100 years from now. Hey it can still happen. Well, i can be reborn that is.

One word: Cryogenics, in which i am fascinatingly interested in.

Robtard
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I sometimes wish to be born in the future. Say like 100 years from now. Hey it can still happen. Well, i can be reborn that is.

One word: Cryogenics, in which i am fascinatingly interested in.

If I had a magic wand, I'd send you back to the American South circa 1840's for a week or two... That way you'd know what it is like to be factually oppressed and just maybe you'd stop with your asinine rants about whites "mentally enslaving" blacks and every other bit of nonsense you're prone to spew.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Robtard
If I had a magic wand, I'd send you back to the American South circa 1840's for a week or two... That way you'd know what it is like to be factually oppressed and just maybe you'd stop with your asinine rants about whites "mentally enslaving" blacks and every other bit of nonsense you're prone to spew.

You're right, i'd be even more oppressed by the White people in this country during that time. Thank goodness i wasn't apart of that era. I would've been one of the ones of many to escape and/or fight to the death rather than be enslaved by any Euro-American White, in this country, during that time. Asinine... Why do Whites want Blacks to forget slavery ever happened altogether. I don't get it. It'll never happen. It'll never be forgotten about. Ever.

Anyway, I digress. If i were born in the 1840's, in the U.S., i'd not only be dead or dying by now just for being non-White, I would definitely be born in the wrong time period. I would've rose hell as an American slave and be killed/hanged by White men for it.

lil bitchiness

Me too.

Although living in the time of Cyrus the Great would maybe be something I would consider.

dirkdirden

FistOfThe North

Quiero Mota
I'm assuming you're White, so, as a slave owner, and/or obviously the descendants of slave owners, you'd still kill me.

Honestly Fist, that's one hell of an unfair and large assumption.

Soleran
So death would still be my destiny.

Death is everyone's "destiny."

I was born in the right "time."

This is a good thing.

Robtard
You're right, i'd be even more oppressed by the White people in this country during that time. Thank goodness i wasn't apart of that era. I would've been one of the ones of many to escape and/or fight to the death rather than be enslaved by any Euro-American White, in this country, during that time. Asinine... Why do Whites want Blacks to forget slavery ever happened altogether. I don't get it. It'll never happen. It'll never be forgotten about. Ever.

Anyway, I digress. If i were born in the 1840's, in the U.S., i'd not only be dead or dying by now just for being non-White, I would definitely be born in the wrong time period. I would've rose hell as an American slave and be killed/hanged by White men for it.

No one is implying "we" forget slavery was a part of this county's history, the fact that students spend time learning about it should prove that to you... duh. We also have "Black History Month" to further destroy your bogus and ignorant claim. Fact is, you in no way shape or form have EVER had (not even close) it as bad as a slave circa 1800's so stop with your whining, all you do is shit on the people that endured it.

I digressed too, my bad... Or, maybe you would have been one of the slaves freed by this little conflict known as "The American Civil War", that's of course if you were a slave to begin with as not all blacks were slaves.

"And who are you? So full of hate that you have to fight everybody, because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now, dying by the thousands, dying for you, fool!" -Morgan Freeman(Rawlins) "Glory" circa 1989

debbiejo
Some say that's how you decorate your house or the history you are interested in could say something about ones self............Well I always decorated my house in medieval type things.........rugs, many candles and incenses...................Hmmmmmmmmm............OK, let me ask then, how do you decorate your homes and what are you interested in, wht part of history interests you most?

Rogue Jedi
sometimes i wish i were born a year later.

debbiejo
God I love ancient Rome and Greece. cool

Rogue Jedi
but they have no running water.

debbiejo
Aqueducts. But still I'll have a slave girl.

They had hot tubs too. Just hangin out at the general emporium on Saturnalia day.

KidRock
I'm assuming you're White, so, as a slave owner, and/or obviously the descendants of slave owners, you'd still kill me.

FistOfTheRacistNorth strikes again.

Just because he is white you assume he is a slave owner or decendent of one? Are you that stupid to really think all whites are decendents of slave owners?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by debbiejo
Aqueducts. But still I'll have a slave girl.

They had hot tubs too. Just hangin out at the general emporium on Saturnalia day.
no net. no KMC. no mcdonalds.

Oncewhite
I'm assuming you're White, so, as a slave owner, and/or obviously the descendants of slave owners, you'd still kill me. I'd be indirect because letting me go, as a colored person, during those times, would be just as good as dead too, so. Cause i'd be free colored person during those times in the U.S. and i'd get killed by Whites for being non-White, that's how I mean. A lot of whites and a lot of Jews were helping to fight against slavery, remember not every white person came to this country to profit from slavery, many in the north wanted their own land to til, all they came here for was religious freedom or freedom from religious problems, so they weren't even interested in hating blacks, they were interested in having a place that they could worship their Christian religion wihtout problems.

So death would still be my destiny. But i'd make sure i'd kick in a kneecap or gouge an eyeball or 2 out before getting bludgeoned to death.

Why did you assume that just because he is white, he would kill you, many whites were trying to help blacks, esp in the north, a lot of whites died for the freedom of blacks, and i am not even including the civil war, does John (or Ron) Brown ring a bell? He wasn't the only one, so don't assume white means your enemy. Remember a lot of whites and Jews helped to free slaves. Many of the whites who came here (in the north) came for religious freedom, and wanted to work the land the same way they work it now (but with more technology) they didn't use slaves, they just wanted a peaceful place to work and worship their God, so not every white person was or is your enemy, please stop preaching this to other blacks.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Oncewhite
Why did you assume that just because he is white, he would kill you, many whites were trying to help blacks, esp in the north, a lot of whites died for the freedom of blacks, and i am not even including the civil war, does John (or Ron) Brown ring a bell? He wasn't the only one, so don't assume white means your enemy. Remember a lot of whites and Jews helped to free slaves. Many of the whites who came here (in the north) came for religious freedom, and wanted to work the land the same way they work it now (but with more technology) they didn't use slaves, they just wanted a peaceful place to work and worship their God, so not every white person was or is your enemy, please stop preaching this to other blacks.

Did you misquote or add more to my quote? Cause the words and sentences, that clearly belong to you, you know, the ones you inserted inside my quotes, are a gross misuse grammar.

Try again.

speiderman
it feels like I should have been born lilke six years earlier than I was.

Symmetric Chaos
Any specific reason?

heru
There are several periods of Egypt I would have loved to be born in.

1 When Pharaoh Namer who was originally Nubian and not Egyptian, like it was really a diffrence. Claim the first dynasty.

2 When the pyramids were being build from the 3rd-6th dynasty.

3 When the Greeks came in to Egypt to learn from them.

4 The eighteenth dynasty

It's a bit much to ask but, it would answer a lot of questions that I have.

FistOfThe North
I would like to be born during the dawning of the age of Aquarius.

Rogue Jedi
i would have liked to been alive during the old west.

a1hsauce
i think I would have liked the 50s and the 70s yes Happy Dance

Rogue Jedi
i think the 60's would have been cool. hot rods and stuff.

FistOfThe North
If i were to be born in the 60's i'd rather it be after 1965 (after the passing of the ineffective Civil Rights Bill).

You know, me and a couple of other friends were talking about this topic a few years back and one of them said that he'd love to be born during the mid 1800's.

Me and my other friend were laughing, saying how lame a period that would've been to live in, not knowing if you'll ever be found if anyone ever killed you. lol.

He saw himself easily and casually chewing on a long piece of straw, while wearing a straw-hat, hands behind his head while laying flat in a row boat, barefoot, looking up at the sky with a fishing rod in-tow, in the mid 1800's. He talked about if he had the oppertunity to be transported to that time and stay there permanently, he do it without hesitation.

lol.

Rogue Jedi
i guess i should have said fifties, i would have liked to grown up in the sixties.

Slyððering

Rogue Jedi
dunno about that time period. heres a question. if you had to live in that era, and you could take only one piece of technology or modern thing with you, what would it be?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.