Knuckle Conditioning Bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

trolly_crouchjr
Is it bad? I heard it dosent really make your knuckles harder bit kills the nerves and makes a skin tougher so you cant feel anything.

dirkdirden

trolly_crouchjr

BackFire
What the hell is knuckle conditioning?

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by BackFire
What the hell is knuckle conditioning?

The creation of Calluses over your knuckles usually created by punching hard object or an especially effective method is punching a bucket full of sand.

BackFire
Oh.

Uh, yeah it's pretty safe to assume that smashing your bones against something over and over is going to be detrimental.

Seraphim XIII
Oh.

Uh, yeah it's pretty safe to assume that smashing your bones against something over and over is going to be detrimental.

I agree, to a certain extent. I think maybe smacking your knuckles against sand isn't too bad. It only hardens the skin.

Brick wall? Retardation.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by trolly_crouchjr
Do you think knuckle pushups will have the same effect?

If done on a hard surface yes, but eventually you will get used to that and have to start punching bricks. The best way to do it is every 2 days punch something hard until your hands are almost bleeding if they bleed you went to far and will have to wait longer to heal.

Punching sand bags also works and you can punch them harder than bricks.

it doesn't leave any long term effects. I did it back in high school 5 years ago and if you look at my hands now you couldn't tell.

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by dirkdirden
If done on a hard surface yes, but eventually you will get used to that and have to start punching bricks. The best way to do it is every 2 days punch something hard until your hands are almost bleeding if they bleed you went to far and will have to wait longer to heal.

Punching sand bags also works and you can punch them harder than bricks.

What the hell is wrong with you? Stop telling people to punch brick walls until their hands bleed! Sand bags are the safe way. Your hands won't get used to sand bags. Eventually, you will develop calluses on your knuckles from punching RAW SAND in a bucket. Bags of Sand work good as well.

Magee
I can imagine him thinking he is training in 100x gravity then thinking he is out of power when his knuckles start to bleed... Seriously just get a punching bag.

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by Magee
I can imagine him thinking he is training in 100x gravity then thinking he is out of power when his knuckles start to bleed... Seriously just get a punching bag.

That won't cause calluses. Although it will sooner or later diminish the nerve endings in your knuckles.

Soleran
Originally posted by Seraphim XIII
That won't cause calluses. Although it will sooner or later diminish the nerve endings in your knuckles.

If you get a canvas bag and tape/wrap your wrists but leave your knuckles bare, you will get calluses.

dirkdirden
Bricks work faster than sand I didn't want to spend all day punching sand.

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by Soleran
If you get a canvas bag and tape/wrap your wrists but leave your knuckles bare, you will get calluses.

Taping the wrist doesn't influence obtaining calluses whatsoever. You can get callused knuckles from a canvas bag without tape; It'll just take a really long time. Bare sand in a bucket is faster.

Seraphim XIII

I'm not going to be an idiot and damage the bone structure in my hand and weaken the cartilage in my wrist by punching bricks. Seriously.

debbiejo
Better to just take a "downer" and think happy thoughts... bunny

Soleran
Taping the wrist doesn't influence obtaining calluses whatsoever. You can get callused knuckles from a canvas bag without tape; It'll just take a really long time. Bare sand in a bucket is faster. Originally posted by Seraphim XIII
I'm not going to be an idiot and damage the bone structure in my hand and weaken the cartilage in my wrist by punching bricks. Seriously.

No but taping the wrists helps prevent the damage you are talking about in your second post there, that is all.

debbiejo
Sometimes 2 pills work better than one........ yes

dirkdirden

You don't punch the wall at full strength just lightly tap it. It doesn't weaken the cartilage in your wrist or damage bone structure at all. Punching sand works fine as well I just found that brick walls work faster.

Seraphim XIII
No but taping the wrists helps prevent the damage you are talking about in your second post there, that is all.

Yes, but it does not help in aiding calluses. You should have made yourself more clear.

Soleran
Yes, but it does not help in aiding calluses. You should have made yourself more clear.

You must be one of those last word junkies shifty

Seraphim XIII

Lol?

grey fox
Found this on a self proclaimed 'Kung Fu Magazine Forum'

trolly_crouchjr
I think that later in life you can get some bone problems by doing it.
Jus my opinion

chillmeistergen
be a man, if you're gunna punch someone, don't prepare for it for ages before hand, go n smack em one so what if you mess up your knuckles a bit.

Victor Von Doom

Yeah, who would want to spend all day punching sand? Idiots?

Bricks are the way forward if you want to spend all day punching something.

Seraphim XIII
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Yeah, who would want to spend all day punching sand? Idiots?

Bricks are the way forward if you want to spend all day punching something.

I'm glad that's sarcasm. bored

smoker4
http://home.earthlink.net/~albion6/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bruce-slap.gif

Dj88

Sado22
just don't over do it that's all. don't go on punching for more that a few minutes. some people go on punching and THAT is dangerous. also wall hitting IS dangerous especially if you are doing it without having those wrappings around your hands.
to sum it up:

-don't punch the walls without wrapping your hands
-don't punch the sandbag/sandbasket for too long. punch for a little while, take a break, punch again.
-don't punch it EVERY DAY. do it one day after the other.

and finally....
-don't believe all the sh!t you see on TV and badly dubbed Hong Kong movies. stick out tongue

~The Boxing Guru Sado-sama

BackFire
It's sad that people have to be told not to stand there punching a wall or a brick.

trolly_crouchjr
It's sad that people have to be told not to stand there punching a wall or a brick. you dont need to punch the wall...knuckle pushups are what im talking about.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It's sad that people have to be told not to stand there punching a wall or a brick.

I was reading through this thread thinking "Who are these idiots?", and then I got to your post, and I started laughing.

I am now typing words that appear before my eyes on my computer screen. Soon, I will stop. Soon...Now.

BackFire
I am glad you laughed, it increases the chances that you will put out.

Not that it was ever really in question, but still.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hehehe, all these endorphins are making me giddy! Hehehehe...

botankus

It's about time somebody came up with a scientific name for these things. They're like cockroaches; they're all over the place and they won't let you kill them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.