best jean-luc godard film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manorastroman
une femme est une femme? pierrot le fou? une etrange aventure de lemmy caution?

this thread will die, which is a summation of my hate for each and
every one of you.

Happy Dance

The Core
Aside from myself, MildPossession & Solo will be the only ones to participate in this thread.

I tried to watch "Alphaville" once, but got bored. Aside from that, never watched another one of his movies. Partly because so many aren't on DVD, and if they are, they're not easily accessible.

manorastroman
one of the video stores in my city is phasing out VHS, so they're selling all vhs for a paltry penance. i got alphaville and pierrot le fou for a grand total of three dollars.

alphaville is definitely a movie requiring a certain mood, but if you get through it, it's pretty brilliant. the character "alpha 60" is perhaps the most fascinating cinematic figure of all time. by kubrick's own admission, alpha 60 was the inspiration for HAL9000.

for the record, of the few i've seen, i prefer a woman is a woman.

MildPossession
Apart from the obvious one like A Bout de Souffle/Breathless(ah Jean Paul Belmondo), I did enjoy La Chinoise, Bande A Part, Le Mepris, Sympathy for the Devil had some wonderful moments in it, Notre Musique was interesting, Tout Va Bien was odd with Jane Fonda but still worth the watch.

A lot of his films are worth watching at least once, a lot I've seen I wouldn't sit through again though, once is enough, like Week End, and Two or Three Things I Know About Her (can't even remember what this was about...).

Still need to see some of his work, A Woman Is a Woman being one that I really want to see. And the one you mentioned Core, Alphaville.

manorastroman
aside from breathless, alphaville and pierrot le fou are considered his masterpieces.

a woman is a woman is so totally bizarre, though. i love it. it's the movie i wished amelie was.

Solo
I've only seen five or so of Godard's films, but my favorite is "Weekend". It's groundbreaking, really. I can't wait to see "Masculine, Feminine", which I hear is excellent.

Nice avatar, Cine.

EPIIIBITES

Solo

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by The Core
Aside from myself, MildPossession & Solo will be the only ones to participate in this thread.

I tried to watch "Alphaville" once, but got bored. Aside from that, never watched another one of his movies. Partly because so many aren't on DVD, and if they are, they're not easily accessible.

Haha, so your sole contribution to this thread is that you tried to watch one of his movies, but got bored? Well done, you vanguard of French New-Wave cinema!

Contempt is nice, mainly because I like Bardot's boobs, but I couldn't eat Godard's whole catalogue.

manorastroman
philistine! if i had my way you'd be burned at the stake like all the other little people.

you know, i really don't care who has or hasn't seen any godard films. not sure why i adopted that persona.

Dusty
Out of all I've seen, Band Of Outsiders.

Everytime I hear 'Pierrot le fou', I think of that guy from Cowboy Bebop.

http://www.projectbag.com/cowboy_bebop/thumbnails/pierrot01_t.jpg

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by manorastroman
philistine! if i had my way you'd be burned at the stake like all the other little people.

you know, i really don't care who has or hasn't seen any godard films. not sure why i adopted that persona.

Liar! Your pomposity suits you when it is coupled with your general ambivalence to all living creatures; it's the conflict that creates the 'man' (?).

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Solo
You're a complete moron if you think "Band of Outsiders" is deep.
A). I was talking about Breathless (and if you had seen the iconic film poster before you'd get what I was saying)...

B). You obviously didn't catch the vein that my self-depricating/art-school bashing/ignorance-typifying comment was in...hence the "Rambo" comment.

It's ok...See, the reason people like you don't get that sort of satire is because you're the type who just can't wait judge and come down hard on anyone who'll show the slightest sign of not "really" knowing who an artist like Godard is or what his films are about.....Winner!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
No, really...You are a moron.

That's OK, though. The world needs contrasts.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Haha, so your sole contribution to this thread is that you tried to watch one of his movies, but got bored? Well done, you vanguard of French New-Wave cinema!
Case in point.

Hmm. I think I'll start a thread on....Fellini. Yeah Fellini...Fellini yeah. And I'll bash the crap out of any poster who doesn't know anything outside of "8 1/2"....oh, and I'll feel good about that.

Way to expose yourself for how weak and insecure your "apparent" movie know-how makes you. You're a gem. If you were half as hip as you think you are, you'd get the brutal honesty and irony of my first post...but you're quite clueless in fact...so sad.

Safety in numbers though...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Haha, you're doing this number again? Sweet, I love your self-inflicted car wrecks.

Continue...

EPIIIBITES
...apres vous...No, I insist.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Shame. I was looking for something more spectacular.

Oh, well...Maybe next time?

EPIIIBITES
Interesting how the more clueless you slowly catch on you're being, the more smug you seem to get. How does that work?

Here's a hint...rhymes with "the Nile"

Solo
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
I think I'll start a thread on....Fellini. Yeah Fellini...Fellini yeah. And I'll bash the crap out of any poster who doesn't know anything outside of "8 1/2"....oh, and I'll feel good about that.
You do know that Fellini is one of the most well recognized directors of all time? I'm sure at least twice the amount of people in here would show up in a Fellini thread.

The Core
Not too sure. I have seen, and enjoyed "La Strada", but aside from that, I haven't really cared to see anything else by him. New Wave just isn't my thing.

manorastroman
rhymes with the nile...YKF's big smile? look into that gaping maw and tell me you aren't face to face with fear's face.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Solo
You do know that Fellini is one of the most well recognized directors of all time? I'm sure at least twice the amount of people in here would show up in a Fellini thread.
?

As is Beethoven one the most recognized composers of all time...how does that have anything to do with it? How many people on the music thread do you think actually know of anything more than "Beethoven's 9th"?...I'd guarantee it's right around the same percentage of people here who know more about Fellini's works than "8 1/2".

Point is, they're both essentially foreign, especially in the details...as is Godard. And there are people here who are silly enough to think that making pointed comments on people's "supposed" lack of film-saavy is warranted, just because they don't seem to be as on board as they "should" be with someone like Godard.

Hilarious.

manorastroman
we could talk about your spelling "saavy" instead. come off of it, you're not making yourself look any better, nor making others look any worse. it's just kind of annoying.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Interesting how the more clueless you slowly catch on you're being, the more smug you seem to get. How does that work?

Here's a hint...rhymes with "the Nile"

Is it "Hold me, sweet lips, I miss your touch?".

I generally dislike being explicit - except with my girly (hehe) - but it is you, my dear, that failed to see that I was poking fun at The Core's original post. Now, sit back, and let me poke you in the eye with my penis...

(See, I can be explicit sometimes...)

rhymes with the nile...YKF's big smile? look into that gaping maw and tell me you aren't face to face with fear's face.

"All our times have come
Here but now they're gone
Seasons don't fear the reaper
Nor do the wind the sun or the rain (we can be like they are)
Come on baby (don't fear the reaper)
Baby take my hand (don't fear the reaper)
We'll be able to fly (don't fear the reaper)
Baby I'm your man
La-la-la-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la-la-la-la"

EPIIIBITES
come off of it, you're not making yourself look any better, nor making others look any worse.
For starters, I'm quite aware how you meant each of your own posts and I'm not talking about you. And in terms of making others look bad...they've done that quite well on their own...I just enjoy reinforcing how some people tend to buy into their own pretentious BS.
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I generally dislike being explicit - except with my girly (hehe) - but it is you, my dear, that failed to see that I was poking fun at The Core's original post.

Ummm. That was quite clear, yes. Your quoting him was an indication of that for me. I just didn't appreciate your tone with little Core-y. miffed

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ummm. That was quite clear, yes. Your quoting him was an indication of that for me. I just didn't appreciate your tone with little Core-y. miffed

See, I told you...you are a moron.

EPIIIBITES
???

...Forget it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.