Adamantium claws SHIT

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Chikorita
everyone says \"adamantium is sharper than normal metal!\"... no. its just impossible to break. it can pierce things normal metal wouldnt be able to if the ordinary metal would bend against it, but its not sharper, only wolverines claws are sharp cause theyre made to be. but his claws would be JUST as sharp if they were made out of any other metal. so please, stop the adamantium fanboyism

Chikorita
and what i said is FACT, if you cant come up with a scan which says otherwise

Chikorita
it will be funny to see what the wolverine fanboys has to say about thisbig grin

spetznaz
There was an interesting book on the X-Men that approached their various powersets from a 'scientific' basis (well, as scientific as you can get with comics).
On the topic of Adamantium, they basically stated it quite well.
Imagine an indestructible metal ....cannot be broken, bent, mishaped, etc.

Now imagine that you manage to sharpen it to where the edge is a MOLECULE thin (since the metal is indestructible it would never become dull ....most other metals would, and they would dull VERY quickly).

However Adamantium is NEARLY indestructible, and thus it would keep that edge.

The result ....an extremely (inhumanly) sharp cutting edge.

That is how Adamantium can be sharper than other metals ....if sharpened to the thickness of a molecule (hey, it is comics and thus that degree of sharpness is possible ....oh, and in comics too an 'indestructible' metal can be sharpened ...LOL ...bear with me) then it would be very sharp.
Other metals wouldnt be able to be sharpened to that degree (the edge wouldn't cohere, and furthermore even if it did it would become blunt very quickly).

That is how Adamantium claws can be the cutting wonders they are.

With that said, let me add that I hate Wolverine. Once he used to be one of my favorite characters, but certain posters like (the then) Wolverine8888 literally turned me off the character.

However there is a basis for why his claws are that sharp.

The only problem is that there is so much pure unadulterated BS surrounding Wolverine (from both fanboys and Marvel) that the entire character is tainted.
Goodness, there were threads on how he could defeat Superman and Thor.

DarkCrawler
I still like the character of Wolverine, but I can't really stand many of the current comics he is in. 80's Wolverine was badass and great and used his skills and guts to get through situations. Nowadays popularity has made him worse, and he relies on healing factor and barely uses any skill at all, and mostly, every other Marvel character is portrayed weakly and stupidly compared to him...

New series looks nice though.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by spetznaz
There was an interesting book on the X-Men that approached their various powersets from a 'scientific' basis (well, as scientific as you can get with comics).

Now imagine that you manage to sharpen it to where the edge is a MOLECULE thin (since the metal is indestructible it would never become dull ....most other metals would, and they would dull VERY quickly).

That is how Adamantium can be sharper than other metals ....if sharpened to the thickness of a molecule (hey, it is comics and thus that degree of sharpness is possible ....oh, and in comics too an 'indestructible' metal can be sharpened ...LOL ...bear with me) then it would be very sharp.
Other metals wouldnt be able to be sharpened to that degree (the edge wouldn't cohere, and furthermore even if it did it would become blunt very quickly).

With that said, let me add that I hate Wolverine. Once he used to be one of my favorite characters, but certain posters like (the then) Wolverine8888 literally turned me off the character.

The only problem is that there is so much pure unadulterated BS surrounding Wolverine (from both fanboys and Marvel) that the entire character is tainted.

I go with everything you just stated. Wolverine is my second favorite character in anything fiction but people overhype the dude to much. He has skills but not like Superman, Thor, or even someone like Lady Deathstrike. Even Sabretooth is more powerful, faster, has a healing factor, and an adamantium skeleton yet Marvel makes Wolverine win every fight they have.

Wolverine will probsbly always be a favorite of mine but, meh.

Kutulu

^^ QFT. Humans have created pretty close to monomolecular scalpels, but they lose their edge quickly. Adamantite would have no such constraint; the edge would easily slice through other metals, and retain it's edge due to the properties of the metal.

golem370

The same could be said about Batman

spetznaz
Originally posted by golem370
The same could be said about Batman

Actually no.

Batman has a major jobber aura (as do other characters, for instance Captain America) and while he is written as peak human (just like Cap) his feats are obviously beyond that (again, just like Cap ....or Black Panther BTW).

However, none of the characters above come close to Wolverine when it comes to sheer stupid BS!

Wolvie is essentially a great character. His character foundation is one of the best, and he has a literally style (his writers) that for a while was one of the best. There is a reason by the way why Wolverine, for a period of time, was easily one of the most popular characters out there (he is still popular, but nowhere near his position in the late 80s early to mid 90s).

The problem is that during a time when comic book houses were facing dire financial situations (several disappeared or were absorbed in DC or Marvel, and even the Big Two ...DC and Marvel ....also went through hard times) Marvel decided to amp Wolverine to keep fans buying.

The problem is that Wolvie went from a hard-core son-of-a-gun hombre who could do all these cool things INTO some fanboy wet-dream that was shrugging off nuke attacks and pulling of nigh deux es machina type moves.

That is the problem.

Batman has done many crazy things, but they are always within the established character set, or when things go too far there is always some 'explanation' given (normally PIS filled, but at least possible ....a good instance is when Darkseid punched him and Batman didn't die, and the reason given was the MotherBox protecting him. )

However Wolverine goes from taking time to heal from bullet wounds to near instantenous regeneration from a skeleton (if certain FANBOYS are to be believed).

Anyways, Wolverine is one of the coolest character concepts out there (I personally like the Spiderman concept most, and the Hulk concept is actually very rich as well ....it is basically analogous to tales from pre-history on the 'strange man' who would turn into a were-beast at night, or in more modern times a version of the various Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde stories). However you'll notice that in many threads I beat up on the Hulk (even though he is one of my fave character concepts) as well as Wolverine ....and this is primarily due to the fanboy factor.

Which is Wolvie's problem ....just because you are a cool cat doesn't mean you can go and challenge certain characters. At the end of the day you are just some hair Canadian midget with foot long ginsu knives sticking out of your hands, a cheap cigar potruding from your mouth, and an unhealthy appetite in young Japanese women!!!!

That doesn't mean that a FANBOY can ask whether Wolverine can defeat a 'low level' Green Lantern.

I look at Wolverine in the following way: Wolvie is like a Bentley GT....a great car, fast, sexy, gorgeous.
However let's say that car is being sold for 150 million dollars (when it should go for around 150,000)!

Suddenly it goes from being a great car into being some stupid out-of-y-mind deal that only fools can get themselves into. It is overpriced, and not just by a little bit but by a lot.

Wolverine is a 150,000 Bentley being sold for 150 million bucks!
Great all around, but so hyped that it just makes 'great' turn into 'dumb.'

That's Wolverine.
And you can thank his fanboys (and to an extent Marvel) for that.

grey fox
I agree with you on some parts spetnaz , especially the hulk thing. I find that while I like certain characters it's always best to keep your bias out of the matches and think logically.

swerve1988
wolverine cut Thanos but could NOT EVEN SCRATCH APOC!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.