Frank Miller's Batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
I just figured that this place needed a thread for Frank Miller's batman. his continuity includes Batman:Year One (shared with standard), All-Star Batman and Robin, Holy Terror, Batman!!!, the Dark Knight Returns, and DK2/Dark Knight Strikes Again.
Thoughts? comments?

LORDSIDIOUS01
This is cool. Remember Batman Begins was based a little bit on Frank Miller's works.

wuTa
More than just a little bit of the movie was based on his work. Miller is a genius not only for his work on Batman, but also Daredevil, Sin City, 300, ect. Sin City is just brilliant, and Daredevil wouldn't be nearly what it is without him. But yea, his work on Batman is awesome as well.

Is Holy Terror, Batman even out yet?

Superguy
Miller used to be amazing. Before The Man Without Fear, which was really disappointing IMO... and then he ****ed up Batman in Allstar... he's not delivering it for me any more... sad

sindahouse
Frank miller is da bom. I love his work. He makes some good batman stories, but he's definately much better suited off for SIn City. Having said that though, who can forget 'the dark knight returns.' Miller resurrected batman from the stupid "biff, pow" outfit, to the original darkness that we all love. He snowballed the darkness of the bat, and we all owe him that much.

Darth Jello
he's kinda pulling a kevin smith on all-star so the trade's of that and holy terror may not be out for like a couple of years, but i still have faith in him. I've liked everything he's done so far with the exception of a daredevil one shot from the 80's.

Superguy
The one shot with Daredevil randomly turning up somewhere-or-other and fights some random family? That sucked... reprinted in Loves Labours Lost?

Darth Jello
that's the one.

Superguy
Damn, I hated that crap... you read Love & War? I hear that's great but it's damn hard to get hold of... the only Miller Daredevil I haven't read... sad

Darth Jello
only one story in love and war is by miller, the rest is building up to born again. They should collect some of the stories between born again and typhoid or the rebirth of bullseye into a trade.

Superguy
No... that's Love's Labours Lost, which genuinely sucks for the most part, though it gets better in the story where Heather hangs herself... Love & War is the thing about the Kingpin's wife...

Darth Jello
i know, i get those two mixed up all the time despite owning them. love and war was awesome

Superguy
Must get that... LOve & War and Born Again are f**king impossible to get hold of nowadays, despite (taking most peoples' word on Love & War, while Born Again is one of the greatest comics EVER) being fantastic... though I do hear there will be an accompaniment to the Miller Daredevil Omnibus with Born Again, Love & War and... something else... Elektra Lives Again maybe??

Mace Skywalker
I dont really like frank Miller's Batman, but some of his other works are ok.

Leper_Messiah
The Dark Knight Returns is definately one of my favorites of all time.

Darth Jello
I like how in year one you get to see a little bit of the early golden age "brutal" batman. Not to the same extreme (rolling in a red sedan unafraid to viciously kill his enemies) but still a little less concerned for the well being of the people he's hunting than usual.

Superguy
Originally posted by Darth Jello
i know, i get those two mixed up all the time despite owning them. love and war was awesome W00T! The Frank Miller Omnibus (I have every issue there anyway) will be joined by the Daredevil omnibus Companion containing Man Without Fear, Born Again and Love & War! Happy Dance

TH3 D4RK KN!GH7
Frank IMO is one of the best writers in comic book history. His Batman as far as character and personality is my favorite and it's how he always should have been portrayed, the way he illustrates him is my 3rd favorite. Mike Meltzer's being first and Jim Lee's being the greatest(good god Jim Lee just owns).

ragesRemorse
Frank miller made batman cool. Dark knight top comic stuff, and perhaps the only material worth reading in the batman universe

DarkDethbringer
Tim Burton used FrankMiller asabase, especially DKR

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by DarkDethbringer
Tim Burton used FrankMiller asabase, especially DKR

He did, I never read that.

Darth Jello
he used an image only. Not any significant part of any batman comic. which explains batman and batman returns.

endrict
Miller is great but Jim sucks(not his art though) 14 months to come out with issue 5 WTF? now it will be another 14 for issue 6.

roughrider
Originally posted by Quinlan-Vos
Damn, I hated that crap... you read Love & War? I hear that's great but it's damn hard to get hold of... the only Miller Daredevil I haven't read... sad
I have it - it is great. Painted by Bill Sienkiewicz, and came out on the heels of Miller's Born Again storyline.
As for Batman, Miller should quit the character. He writes everything in Sin City-style now, which isn't right for Batman's world. All-Star Batman sucks like a black hole.

I'm suprised to hear him say Batman:Year One isn't in continuity, decades later. That's where Carmine Falcone was introduced.

Darth Martin
I don't care for the art in DKR. Frank Miller is a good writer though. I own the book and I must say it is pretty complicated to read at times. I think Jim Lee and Alex Ross besty draw Batman.

ScarletSpeed
Dark Knight returns is an absoulute masterpiece IMO,

the way Frank sucks you into the comic is just genius, I just love his style of writing.

Bat Dude
This thread died a year ago...

ScarletSpeed
does that mean I can't post?

I just recently read The Dark Knight returns and wanted to discuss it, this is the only thread about Frank Miller

Bat Dude
Well, usually super bumping threads is frowned upon... And we've had SO MANY threads super bumped recently:

-Batman Begins: Horrible Reinvention (very recently)

-Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman (very recently)

-Could Batman Actually Happen? (around the May 7th time frame)

etc. etc. etc.

So I'm just saying, super bumping is usually a one way ticket to a ban...

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Well, usually super bumping threads is frowned upon... And we've had SO MANY threads super bumped recently:

-Batman Begins: Horrible Reinvention (very recently)

-Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman (very recently)

-Could Batman Actually Happen? (around the May 7th time frame)

etc. etc. etc.

So I'm just saying, super bumping is usually a one way ticket to a ban...

oh yeah I am gonna be banned for bumpinglaughing out loud

threads that haven't been posted in for over a year would be closed if it wasn't allowed

it isn't as if I just bumped any random old thread, I bumped a thread that has a direct purpose.

and now I see no one wants to discuss it so I'll leave mhmm

Bat Dude
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
oh yeah I am gonna be banned for bumpinglaughing out loud

threads that haven't been posted in for over a year would be closed if it wasn't allowed

it isn't as if I just bumped any random old thread, I bumped a thread that has a direct purpose.

and now I see no one wants to discuss it so I'll leave mhmm

No need to laugh at me, it's true...

Most forums I've been to usually ban/suspend people who super bump...

They haven't been posted in for a reason... Nobody wants them back, and people who bring them back usually get frowned on...

Now this should be the last post, so this thread can die with the others...

ScarletSpeed
No need to laugh at me, it's true...

Most forums I've been to usually ban/suspend people who super bump...

They haven't been posted in for a reason... Nobody wants them back, and people who bring them back usually get frowned on...

Now this should be the last post, so this thread can die with the others...

I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing at the idea of be getting banned for posting a perfectly innocent view on a Graphic Novel,

I see no reason why this thread should "die", it is the only thread of it's sort, Frank Miller is one of the greatest writers in comic history so I don't see why he shouldn't have his own thread srug

if you don't want to discuss it, then just stop posting confused

Bat Dude
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
if you don't want to discuss it, then just stop posting confused

which is what I DID... Until it was brought back...

Super bumping just annoys me, that's all...

I'm not trying to be mean...

ScarletSpeed
which is what I DID... Until it was brought back...

Super bumping just annoys me, that's all...

I'm not trying to be mean...

coulda fooled me cry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.