DCAU Batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
It's my opinion (and the opinion of an assload of other people) that the DC animated universe (Batman TAS, Superman TAS, justice league, JLU, Static shock, batman beyond, Zeta Project) versions are the best versions of the DC characters ever created.

Now considering episodes/movies such as mask of the phantasm, Holliday Knights, Return of the Joker, Almost Got 'im, the Laughing Fish, Heart of Ice, and Joker's Millions, I urge you all to discuss this topic and to take my bias, Stephen Colbert-ish poll on the subject.

NoFate007
DCAU is one of the best things to happen to DC. The shows are great, pack a lot of history into them, revamp some things (look at Mr. Freeze), add new things (Harley Quinn), and are just great. Its a shame that they aren't still making cartoons of them. JLU shouldn't have ended.

darkfan76
Great. Perhaps the greatest Batman and DCU version.

Great plots, characters and animation.

It was a shame that JLU was cancelled. I still think that the show deserves a movie to finish with the DCAU. Perhaps showing and aged Batman, changing his suit to the one used by Terry in Batman Beyond.

Superguy
The DCAU was fantastic...

Tron
Originally posted by darkfan76
Great. Perhaps the greatest Batman and DCU version.

Great plots, characters and animation.

It was a shame that JLU was cancelled. I still think that the show deserves a movie to finish with the DCAU. Perhaps showing and aged Batman, changing his suit to the one used by Terry in Batman Beyond.

If they do a final movie, it should be of the Great Apocalypse of 2009 mentioned in Batman Beyond and JLU.

OB1-adobe
I am currently watching the DCAU in its entirety, except for shows like static shock, and zeta project. Which I don't think are going to see the light of day on DVD soon.

I am mainly watching them in the order they came out in (for the most):

Btas seasons 1 & 2
Mask of the phantasm
Btas season 3
Stas season 1
Sub zero
STas season 2
Btas season 4 and STas season 3 at the same time
Mystery of the batwoman
BB season 1
BB return of the joker
BB season 2 & 3
JL season 1 & 2
starcrossed
JLU seasons 1 & 2

I am currently in the middle of BTAS season 2, and I'm not bored at all. I still have to buy Mystery of the batwoman and JLU second season and bb third season which comes out on the 20th I believe.

When I'm finished I'm planning on posting a review of what I think of the whole thing. Best episodes/ worst episodes, fave moments.

I'd like to do the same for the MAU, but oh wait, ITS NOT FREAKING OUT YET!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET ON IT PEOPLE!!!

Bat Dude
DCAU is great, possibly the greatest interpretation of Batman on television and movies. However, I don't think it can top the Batman on the REAL DC Universe. I mean, it's the original, for one. It has done so many shocking stories that were very innovative (Death in the Family, Knightfall, etc.) AND, to top it all off, it caused everything (BTAS, TNBA, Beyond, Begins, TDK, 89, Returns, etc.) to exist. Without it, BTAS wouldn't exist.

So yeah, DCAU was fantastic and will never be topped (most likely, anyway) but the comics are the greatest...

Does anyone know the chronology of events in the DCAU? I'm trying to figure out what happened first and everything. Does everything happen in order, like the episodes that came first happened first in chronology?

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Bat Dude
DCAU is great, possibly the greatest interpretation of Batman on television and movies. However, I don't think it can top the Batman on the REAL DC Universe. I mean, it's the original, for one. It has done so many shocking stories that were very innovative (Death in the Family, Knightfall, etc.) AND, to top it all off, it caused everything (BTAS, TNBA, Beyond, Begins, TDK, 89, Returns, etc.) to exist. Without it, BTAS wouldn't exist.

So yeah, DCAU was fantastic and will never be topped (most likely, anyway) but the comics are the greatest...

Does anyone know the chronology of events in the DCAU? I'm trying to figure out what happened first and everything. Does everything happen in order, like the episodes that came first happened first in chronology?

I'm currently watching the entire thing in its entirety, with the exception of such shows as static, and zeta project. Maybe I'll watch them on you tube or sumpin.

I don't what chronolgical order to tell you to watch the episodes, cuz on the dvd's they are mixed a little, but not enough to throw the continuity out of order.

I'm watching it like I stated in my post above: in an order the shows were released.

Few notes to remember if you would like to watch it that way, keep in mind:

Watch BTAS season 1
watch first 2 disks of BTAS season 2, then watch Mask of the phantasm, then continue on ward.

watch STAS 1st season then watch the Batman Sub-zero movie. Keep watching Superman and don't start watching The 4th Batman boxset until you watched "World's Finest" on STAS Box set #2. After that you can watch Batman season 4 and the rest of the Superman episodes intermidetly, but just make sure you watch "little girl lost" before you watch "girls night out". After Bats and Sups are all done you can watch "mystery of the Batwoman" then either JL or BB, its up to you. If you decide to watch JL first, don't watch the JLU episode Epilogue until after you have watch BB.

P.s

I think the the return of the joker movie comes right after BB season 1, I think.

Other than that watching it should be a breeze.

Currently I am halfway through disc one of BTAS vol. 3, so needless to say I have a loooooooooooonnng way to go.

306 episodes and 4 DVD movies. What a body of work to critique

Tron
I think Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker was suppose to happen around the end of the series, although I could be wrong.

OB1-adobe
from what I've read, it came out in the summer of 2000. Which would put it right between seasons 1 and 2.

Darth Jello
technically the end of the series would be the loose ends episode of JLU, but yeah, i would place it at the end.

Jokerinthedeck
'The Laughing Fish' is my favorite joker story and BTAS's version is my favorite incarnation of it. One of Mark Hamill's best Joker performances, just like in Mask of the Phantasm.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Jokerinthedeck
'The Laughing Fish' is my favorite joker story and BTAS's version is my favorite incarnation of it. One of Mark Hamill's best Joker performances, just like in Mask of the Phantasm.

I liked 'Joker's Wild' better. First and only appearance of the joker mobile.

Bat Dude
My personal fave is Joker's Favor. I love the ending in the alley.

Turbopotamo
my god, the DCUA is great, those were the best interpretation of a comic book character in television. Just an example B:TAS is the best tv show of a superheroe, the history arc, the caharcters, the progresion of the characters, is the full package. JL & JLU rock too. i just wish that DC or Warner put a JLU movie so we can see a last episode of this great series.

Joker1237
Got it all on DVD from BTAS to JLU. Expect Zata and Static Shock for certain reasons of couse. Lack of DVD releases lol.

I always think the order to watch them should follow the time line, Sure JLU came last in production order, But JL is before BB.

So

BTAS1
MOTP
BTAS2
BTAS3
SubZero
STAS1
STAS 2 plus BTAS4(With WF)(Watch little Girl lost frist, and girls night out about the same time)
STAS3
MOBW
JL season 1
JL season 2
Clip of the Joker's death, which I belive was about the time Joker died.
JLU season 1
JLU season 2
BB season 1
BB season 2
BB season 3
ROTJ
And Epilogue at the end.

I think ROTJ comes next to last because Terry has grown a bit in the crime fighting department. Also this was imo Terry's SO called Test to see if he could go on with out Bruce Wayne. And Epilogue is Terry is his own man, he does not need to be pamper by Bruce Wayne. ete.

OB1-adobe
right about now I'm trying to figure out where some of the static shock crossover episodes come in and where I should watch them.

"the big leagues"
"hard as nails"
"a league of their own"
"toys in the hood"
"future shock"
"Fallen Hero" (Which I can't find on you tube)

Too bad this show is not on DVD, I bet its not bad.

Current status:

Just finished Vol.1 of Stas last night with "Speed demons", and watched about 20 minutes of SUBZERO

Superherovandal
They really should show this Apocalypse of '09 that was mentioned by Terry. It sounds epic...

Bat Dude
Does anyone know exactly what the Apocalypse of 2009 is?

My bet is it's a disaster that destroys a lot of the Earth. The JLA tries to keep the nations together, but they crumble, leading to a new Dark Age. (Think No Man's Land on the global scale) Villians and radicals take over large tracts of land and vie for global domination in this "New Apocalypse" Eventually, the JLA is able to either bargain or capture the villians and radicals and reform the world nations. (This all happens in early to mid 2009) However, the Khunds (if they exist in that time) or the Spider Guild attack the Earth for colonization, which ends in a huge battle between the JLA and the aliens, killing many heroes in the process (Vixen, Vigilante, Shining Knight, and even Supergirl) However, the JLA is able to win, thanks to the intervention of the Guardians of Oa, and they try to rebuild the world, making a step up in technology (explains Beyond and Zeta tech) (Note: If I made continuity errors, like someone dies in my summary when they die earlier, I'm sorry cuz I only really know what happens in BTAS, STAS and JL, not JLU or anything else)

Or it could be Crisis on Infinite Earths animated (that would be so kool) with Earth 2 (Justice Guild), Earth 3 (Alex Luthor) and Earth X (Freedom Fighters) as well as Pariah, Monitor, Anti Monitor, etc.

OB1-adobe
I guess that would be cool, but I doubt it would happen that way.

Since those guys put their own spin on everything.

Status report:

Finished World's Finest-now watching Batman Vol.4 and the rest of STAS vol.2 and 3 concurrently with Batman

Gregory
DCAU Batman is the best. I've never been terrible fond of Batman Beyond, though--too Spidermanesque.

Tron
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Does anyone know exactly what the Apocalypse of 2009 is?

My bet is it's a disaster that destroys a lot of the Earth. The JLA tries to keep the nations together, but they crumble, leading to a new Dark Age. (Think No Man's Land on the global scale) Villians and radicals take over large tracts of land and vie for global domination in this "New Apocalypse" Eventually, the JLA is able to either bargain or capture the villians and radicals and reform the world nations. (This all happens in early to mid 2009) However, the Khunds (if they exist in that time) or the Spider Guild attack the Earth for colonization, which ends in a huge battle between the JLA and the aliens, killing many heroes in the process (Vixen, Vigilante, Shining Knight, and even Supergirl) However, the JLA is able to win, thanks to the intervention of the Guardians of Oa, and they try to rebuild the world, making a step up in technology (explains Beyond and Zeta tech) (Note: If I made continuity errors, like someone dies in my summary when they die earlier, I'm sorry cuz I only really know what happens in BTAS, STAS and JL, not JLU or anything else)

Or it could be Crisis on Infinite Earths animated (that would be so kool) with Earth 2 (Justice Guild), Earth 3 (Alex Luthor) and Earth X (Freedom Fighters) as well as Pariah, Monitor, Anti Monitor, etc.

They never stated exactly what happened, but Ra's Al Ghul was suppose to be a the main villain of it, as said in the Batman Beyond episode, "Out of the Past".

wuTa
Originally posted by Joker1237
Got it all on DVD from BTAS to JLU. Expect Zata and Static Shock for certain reasons of couse. Lack of DVD releases lol.

I always think the order to watch them should follow the time line, Sure JLU came last in production order, But JL is before BB.

So

BTAS1
MOTP
BTAS2
BTAS3
SubZero
STAS1
STAS 2 plus BTAS4(With WF)(Watch little Girl lost frist, and girls night out about the same time)
STAS3
MOBW
JL season 1
JL season 2
Clip of the Joker's death, which I belive was about the time Joker died.
JLU season 1
JLU season 2
BB season 1
BB season 2
BB season 3
ROTJ
And Epilogue at the end.

I think ROTJ comes next to last because Terry has grown a bit in the crime fighting department. Also this was imo Terry's SO called Test to see if he could go on with out Bruce Wayne. And Epilogue is Terry is his own man, he does not need to be pamper by Bruce Wayne. ete.

Epilogue is the shit, one of my favorite, if not my very favorite ep out of all of them. I love all DCAU espicially BTAS, JL, and JLU. The only one complaint I have is that there was no Nightwing in JL, or JLU. I hear there making a JLU straight to DVD video, so I have my fingers crossed.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by wuTa
I hear there making a JLU straight to DVD video, so I have my fingers crossed.

where did you get that info?

wuTa
I read it somewhere on the net, if I get some free time I'll try and find it.

spidermanrocks
Originally posted by BatDude

I do. First, it's the Batman period, where the show Batman: TAS take place. Then, a few years later is the second period called the new superheroes period where the shows The New Batman Adventures, Superman: TAS, and first 2 seasons of Static Shock take place.

The third period is the JL period where shows Justice League and the last 2 seasons of Static Shock take place.

The fourth period is JLU where Justice League Unlimited takes place along with the flashback of the Joker's death from Return of the Joker.

The second last period is where shows Batman Beyond and Zeta Project take place.

The last period takes place around 10-15 years after Batman Beyond (an episode called Epilogue from JLU taht takes place after BB).

Master Crimzon
Great, yeah. Greatest? No way in hell.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.