Johnny talks about Jack and Elizabeth (Toyal film magazine) scans.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mistypirate
big grin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/trinni/2007AWE/Scan6.jpg

Heres the rest of the interview(scans)
http://www.johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=32084

tee_pirategirl
WHOA!!!!! Thanks!!!! AWEsome, I always wanted to see Johnny talk about those two. I'll go read it right now

Mistypirate
Your welcome, the rest of the interview contains spoilers smile
I posted more scans of the magazine in the first post

JacksSweet

willofthewisp
I think we should take this at face value right now. Johnny Depp is a pretty reserved guy when he's not immersed in a role and he's not going to overplay his hand here. He's told us only a snippet of the J/E relationship and that's the fact that Jack's met his match with her. I think what she did to him shocked him (pleasantly) but still shocked him. He spent all of DMC manipulating and taunting Will and Liz and now it's come back to bite him in the ass. But here Johnny is smart and just says that Jack is going to be a little distant with her, and who could blame him? I think we would all be distant at first. Jack may be in love, but he's not stupid.

PirateDiva
LOL....Ya In COTBP and most of DMC it was like Jack had 2 new puppies (liz and will) and he manipulated them.... but by the end of DMC his puppy (liz) had Learned a new trick!

Mistypirate
Johnny is a smart person, he obviously isn't going to give anything away. It's obvious that Jack will be distant from Liz and I wouldn't be surprise if he cold shoulders her. At the end of DMC he came back to rescue the crew and specially her. He showed her that he cared so much that he would give his life for her. Liz betrayed him, she used his feelings against him. Although I believe he was going to stay all along.
Anyways I think everything change while he is in purgatory. Purgatory is actually a place where you suffer all your fears for eternity (stated by TnT in the DMC DVD commentary). Jack is actually suffering thats why Spoilers..
he kills his good side, saying that that was the kind of attitude that put him in there. IMO he is trying to blame Liz for his suffering. So maybe thats is why we would see him avoiding Liz as much as possible. He wants to get her out off his mind,this is affecting Jack. Maybe that's why Johnny said that it was good for his health.
So it makes me wonder, if Purgatory is a place where you go to suffer all of your fears..Then what could be Jack's worst fears in purgatory.
It makes you wonder the words that he recites while he is in purgatory.
My soul do I swear for a breeze a gust a whisper a Kiss

PirateDiva
^^ Nice analyzing Misty....Ur right...Besides being in the middle of the desert....what Other Fears might he have? wink

Mistypirate
Yeah when I first watched the commentary I didn't pay attention to that part, about what was the purgatory all about. I didn't understand Jack's lines either. But now it totally makes sense. Obviously not having any wind or crew to sail the ship and fearing that he would never be able to kiss Liz again.
Could that be foreshadowing? sad Hope not. Maybe it turns out to be the other way around. big grin

Surreal_44
I think Jack's quote is a play on words; he may want another kiss, but he wants even the tiniest of breezes, including a 'kiss' of one. big grin Just a thought. wink You know I can't be that supportive of J/E. *ggg*

willofthewisp
Oh my goodness, Misty. I didn't read the first spoiler, but I can't resist reading bits and pieces of dialogue and that.....I can't WAIT to hear those words out of Jack's mouth.

Worst fears. What if being in purgatory is your worst fear? It's already come true and there would be no images to go with it. So Jack must have a deep, unsettling fear about something else, and you hit the nail on the head with the whole being confined deal. I don't think he's claustrophobic, but he's very weary of anything that compromises his individuality and his freedom.

Hmm, never kissing Liz again...I would think if by this time he really does love her he would have images of HER suffering rather than himself. Imagine constantly seeing someone you love in pain and going through all sorts of trouble and you can't get to them. That would be enough to also push someone over the edge and try to eliminate feeling anything like love.

Wow. AWE sounds like it's going to get really philosophical.

jackismyboo
you can say that again, When i read that line i was like aww. I can see Jack giving her the cold shoulder. I think the real reason he is wanting to keep his distance from her is she kissed him to trick him, i mean that line was emotional. He tasted her and he realized he loves her more then he should, and keeping his distance will just make it so he can't get any more involved then he already has.

willofthewisp
Surreal, I thought that when I read it, too, that he wants the wind to figuratively kiss him, which anyone would just to feel alive, so that could very well be. The thing is, regardless if Jack wants that or to literally be kissed, it's wording is meant to remind us of the kiss he shared with Liz. I don't think they would have used that wording if they didn't want our minds to automatically be referred back to that. It's like in the commentary of DMC during the "Why is the rum always gone?" Taken by itself, that's a very innocent statement. Why is the rum gone? Because he's on a pirate ship and the guys love their rum. But the writers actually planted it there to be a callback to the island in COTBP.

PS Surreal: really fun sig.

ivebeendepped43
^^ i agree! nice siggy!

Surreal_44
I thought my siggy was funny too laughing And you know that I love Norribeth. wink

The line about the kiss, I think, was added after some major revisions from the original script.

From what I understand, there was no intention of there ever being a 'true' love triangle, that it was all supposed to be about Will and Elizabeth, but the director and producer probably wanted to generate more interest (congratulations boys, you did it!) by 'creating' a love triangle.

The "kiss" line may be a direct reference to the Kiss of Doom and Death, and to remind us of what happened in DMC, but I wouldn't take that as proof of J/E. I would say it solidifies the obvious affection Jack feels for Elizabeth.

The real question in AWE is if Elizabeth returns that affection, to what degree does she return that affection, and the big quesiton; Can Jack and Elizabeth make a happily ever after?

Yeah, I know it's Disney, but I can promise you that the 'triangle' will be resolved one way or another, and the best way to seal the deal is to have a wedding, or hint at one. big grin

willofthewisp
So for you non-J/Es, are we all in agreement that at least Jack has feelings for Liz? Nobody's questioning that? Because it seems they made that obvious. Now the real question is, as Surreal alluded to, will Liz return those feelings and if she does, will she do anything about them? Hmmm.

katelovespirate
mmm... a wedding ending would be so 'shakespeare' or 'austen', though. this is a pirate film--- does anyone feel that a wedding would be sort of out of place? that it would be inconsistent with the values and themes set up? cause i always thought a wedding ending would be wierd.

i LOVE that Jack line. it's been my main point of excitement for film 3, and like Willo said, this film is clearly going to get pretty philosophical. definately they are stepping off the edge of the map in more than one way.

willofthewisp
I feel the same way about a wedding. Weddings are great, but done on film, they can be pretty cheesy and over-the-top with a bunch of cliches. T&T are above all that, and I don't think a W/E wedding would be what they call a "kick ass ending." Even for W/E shippers, I can't see them getting that worked up about a wedding at the end. Wouldn't that be predictable? Weddings also don't really blend well with the grungy pirate world they've created either. Pirates crash weddings, not participate in them.

katelovespirate
totally. if there's going to be a wedding, i can imagine the lot of them crashing a fancy wedding going on in port royal, hijacking the priest, causing mass chaos, and performing a quick and humorous ceremony. wink

but generally, i think a wedding would seem a dark, almost sad event, considering the themes of the story. it would represent a revert to British society and social norms, a certain economic standing, etc.... that stiff world they lived in before pirates came along. any wedding they stuck in would have to serve a double purpose.

That JD quote is interesting. keeping his back to the wall. because we know Jack Sparrow has to end the film back on top, right? being the one capable of tricking everyone else?

willofthewisp
yeah. That's why I'm not freaking out about this "killing his good side" or whatever. This is Jack we're talking about and if he does anything, he bounces back from bad situations. To me, this isn't the first time he's died. Think about what is must be like to be marooned on a desert island. There you are, all alone with one shot and a bunch of salt water. There are very few trees, so you don't have much shade or way of building shelter. Only a few birds can be seen on the island and you don't have anything to catch fish with but your bare hands. Even if you catch one, what do you have to cook it? You may be able to build a fire, maybe. Being marooned is being sentenced to death. It is slow and painful. I don't know if anyone here has exerperience with heat stroke, but combine that with starvation and you're in a lot of trouble. That rum dehydrates you even faster than if you were drinking water. Jack may have told Liz he "bartered passage" onto a ship that passed him the last time he was there, but I bet anything he was laying on the beach about to die, probably delirious, and they took pity on him and saved him.
Jack can come back from hard times and while being in the Locker is probably the hardest yet, he's not going to all of a sudden be this tight-ass jerk the whole time. It's not who he is.

katelovespirate
yeah, and a tight-ass jerk Jack would be hilariously less jerky than any other character in that position. Jack in a bad mood is still extremely lively and amusing. It's not like he's going to be all pissed off all the time like certain other characters. hehehehe.

Mistypirate
Totally agree with that. That would be the greatest way to seal that deal.
But it may not be a sparrabeth wedding. sad

Mistypirate
Another interesting thing in Johnny's interview. He talks about Jack's fears

LOL Johnny forgot to mention the good and caring side of Jack.big grin

willofthewisp
That's not something Jack likes to share about himself. wink

Mistypirate
He keeps that side of him Top secret a la area 51 big grin

lovethemtigers
yes...he's actually only showed that good side..to who else...Liz...pretty much.....like on the island, the peas in a pod, curiostiy, and the kiss of death and doom...

and from reading the leaked script...we already know jack shoots his good side....the one that has got him in trouble...so yes, it seems viable that Jack would want to avoid Liz....it would be silly if he went running to her with open arms..that wouldn't be good....it's the tension and resistance that makes their pairing so hot...and I have a feeling it's going to explode once again in AWE...it can't be avoided...but of course Johnny isn't going to reveal that side....

lovethemtigers
I think what will make it great...is the fact that they are cold shouldering each other..but boiling just under the surface...and we can feel it..and you know it....and then suddendly, at an unexpected moment....the boiling overflows and surfaces...and the resistance is shut down....and the coldness melts away...

Chiki Mina
I think his good side is between Jack and Liz. The same with Liz "bad girl" side. Is between Jack and Liz also..

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by Mistypirate
big grin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/trinni/2007AWE/Scan6.jpg

Heres the rest of the interview(scans)
http://www.johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=32084

This is sooo JOhnny...I can so hear him saying this. I love the way this man talks....

I love how he says...It's just better for his health, I reckon..yeah, cuz last time he was alone with Liz...she left him for dead...defenseless and chained to a mast....but I love how he got out of it and face the dreaded Kracken like a brave and true Pirate....

yeah, I would say he has to cold shoulder her....It would be odd for him to be "oh hey liz...so great to see you again..."

I think it'll be interesting....the cold shouldering will defintely add to the tension that continues to build between Jack and Liz....

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
I think his good side is between Jack and Liz. The same with Liz "bad girl" side. Is between Jack and Liz also..

I agree....that's what I've said before....Jack only shows his good side to Liz and she's only showed her bad side to Jack....there are certain things that they only know about each other and no one else knows..that's why I think they are soulmates....

Liz never has in-depth conversations with Will, like she does with Jack...and Jack defintely doesn't chat with anyone like he has with Liz...

katelovespirate
yeah, you have to wonder, if Liz and Will got married, what exactly they would talk about. or do for fun.

tee_pirategirl
probably practice with swords 3 hours a day or maybe if she's really lucky he'll teach her how to run on a wheel!!!!

Chiki Mina
lol tee you're right.
I think Will helped Liz to release all that potential to fight.
And Jack helped Liz to release all that potential to become a pirate...not to mention her sexual potential stick out tongue

PirateDiva
exactly Liz and Will never have any real meaningful/heartfelt sceens together....

hOW could Liz not be in Love with Jack....afterall he has shown her his soft side! he could be a gem when he wants too!

Chiki Mina
I don't think that Liz fell in love like that. She just developed feelings that could develop into love. She is afraid about that. Something that she thought that it was just lust could actually turn out to be love.

PirateDiva
ya she eventually fell for Will she didnt right away!!

With Jack she instantly Fell in Love with him....or Infatuation at least....My point is Jack left a mark in her heart right away!!! and Will eventually through time won his place there!

Chiki Mina
I don't think that the point of this movie is to be with a man or woman to become a couple. Is to finding your soul mate. That person that completes you. This isn't about Jack ending up with Liz or Liz ending up with Will because it's a couples thing, it's finding that soul mate.

Will doesn't have to be with a partner, he has his father--I mean in a good way, not a mocking way. He found what he needed. He has been feeling incomplete without that father figure for a long time.

PirateDiva
yes and apparently in AWE Will must make a choice....LIZ or his FATHER but he cant have BOTH!!!

willofthewisp
You can't say that a dad makes up for losing his fiancee, though. That's a little insulting to Bootstrap that he's Will's consolation prize. While a dad and a wife are great things to have, they fulfill different needs and father/son has different goals than husband/wife. Sorry. I just am going to feel bad for Will if my J/E dreams come true. Can't help it. He's a nice kid that gets hosed a lot.

PirateDiva
I agree but i only said that because of the dolls that came out...on Will's box it said Will has to make a choice between his Fiance and his Father!

I will feel bad for him!! And Knowing Disney they r gonna make me cry I Know it....cause they can pull some real tear jerker stunts on u when u dont expect it!!! LOL!

ludagurl3d
It depends you know. If Will doesn't feel bad for himself, then we shouldn't either.

I mean that if Will is happy with his father, then we should not feel sad, savvy? big grin

willofthewisp
I see what you're saying, but I don't think Will is going to be okay with losing Liz. Remember he said he'd die for her even before they even became a couple. She's his world and I think it's going to be cringe-worthy when he finds out.

lovethemtigers
I wouldn't feel bad for Will...he's a grown man..there's other women in the sea for him to choose from...LITERALLY....LOL

lovethemtigers
Maybe Will could find a Mermaid and let her join him on the FD..the Flying Crocodile Machiney

willofthewisp
Maybe I'm just an overly sensitive person then...It would be nice to see Will fall in love with someone else, someone who doesn't want to be a pirate.

lovethemtigers
Or...still sticking with...when the curse is broken..Calypso is released and the ugliness melts away and we the beautiful Calypso...ala..Tia revealed....she and Will have chemistry....but ...

I know that won't happen....Liz will marry Will....same old...same old...ho hum....

willofthewisp
I just can't see Will and Calypso together. She seems so much older than him, even though Orlando is actually 30. I like the idea we gave him in POTC4 when we had him fall for his maid/spy. They were a smoking hot couple believe it or not.

lovethemtigers
^^^ but she isn't, not really....Tia's soul may be old...but when the curse melts she will be a young beautiful lady, I bet....the actress that plays her is in her early to mid thirties....

lovethemtigers
but i know you are right....it won't be Will and Calypso..I'm just desperately searching for other possibilites for Will

JacksSweet

Ericadawn
I may be crass, but one of the natural biological needs is sex and that certainly can't be achieved with his father.

ludagurl3d
LOL

Erica.

True, but one will not die not having sex. It's for group survival, not survival of the individual.

And why do people think Will cannot find another woman? Elizabeth is not the only female in the world. Will is supposed to be 21ish? He's got plenty of time. I don't think he and Liz are suited - never did. She seems to be off in her own world.

lovethemtigers
oh..i definetly think Will could find another woman...in fact, I think it would be great for his character...I just don't think he and elizabeth are meant for each other....maybe Giselle can clean up her act and become a one woman man and she and Will could fall in love..she is beautiful as the orbit gum girl....and she did have a scene with Will in DMc..she got to slap him.....I'm shipping Giselle and Will...their names even rhyme...

Ericadawn
It's going to be pretty hard finding women when he can only go ashore every ten years though...

lovethemtigers
yeah...you're right...Calypso could.....
LOL.....this is getting quite complicated...

willofthewisp
If you guys read the Norribeth fanfic, he gets together with Anamaria and I actually like that pairing. If only she'd come back.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.