Boot device.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spidervlad
Okey, one happy and snowy day I was beating the crap out of Darth Malak in KOTOR on my high end gaming comp. I turned off the computer and went to sleep. Next day, I turn it on, and get this. It tells me "Select proper boot device and reboot, or insert boot media and press any key"

Once I enter a Windows XP boot CD, it prompts me to install Windows. Then, it tells me my computer does not have a hard disk or hardware.

WTF?!

Spidervlad
*bump*

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Okey, one happy and snowy day I was beating the crap out of Darth Malak in KOTOR on my high end gaming comp. I turned off the computer and went to sleep. Next day, I turn it on, and get this. It tells me "Select proper boot device and reboot, or insert boot media and press any key"

Once I enter a Windows XP boot CD, it prompts me to install Windows. Then, it tells me my computer does not have a hard disk or hardware.

WTF?!
Go to Mobo BIOS settings (by pressing F8 or DEL key) and check that your HDD is being detected or not. And if your HDD is not being detected then shut down the PC and check that the Data Cable is inserted properly in the HDD.

And then report back.

Spidervlad
I suck at hardware. Where's the datacable and where should I insert it into?

LinixCobra
I highly doubt that your HDD cable would come lose. Do you know how hard it is for it to become detachable? You really have to use some force to get it out. Just check your boot options in your BIOS and set the HDD to first.

Spidervlad
Look guys, i'm really rookie at this, so I'll need some more descriptive steps.

Okey. I go into my BIOS using TAB, then I either press F8 for boot popup or DELETE for setup.

What do I do next?

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Look guys, i'm really rookie at this, so I'll need some more descriptive steps.

Okey. I go into my BIOS using TAB, then I either press F8 for boot popup or DELETE for setup.

What do I do next?
No!

I mistakenly said F8 before but it is actually F2 Key.

You can use F2 or DEL Key to gain entry in to the Mobo BIOS when you start your computer.

Here are the steps:

- Start your PC.
- Prese F2 or DEL Key to gain entry in to BIOS Settings.
- Now look for HDD option in the BIOS and check that whether it is being detected or not. If HDD is detected then its size and statistics will be shown in the BIOS and if HDD is not detected then HDD statistics will not be shown.
- Now (in case of HDD not being detected in the BIOS), shut down the PC.
- Then open a side panel of your PC and you will see all the PC Components attached to each other from inside.
- You will notice your HDD as well and a Data Cable will be attached to it from behind.
- Then check that this Data Cable is properly attached.

After doing all these steps you then report back.

Spidervlad
Okey, once I press delete it puts me onto the screen which tells me something Dual Core, and tells me my CPU speed of 3.20, so everything about my CPU. Then it loads me onto the screen with a few subcategories:
MAIN
POWER
ADVANCED
EXIT

What now?

Spidervlad
Nevermind, I just looked up at all the controls and saw my SATA was disables. Weird. I enabled it, and it booted up.

THanks for all your help guys

Kongu Dude
Buy a new computer. srug

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.