freeze yourself in time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stealth Agent
We are getting closer and closer to the future and this becomes more possible everyday.
heres some interesting information on freezing
http://science.howstuffworks.com/cryonics2.htm

Would you freeze yourself? I personally would, i want to see what the future beholds as far as technology and whatnot.

=Tired Hiker=
A future full of mindless zombies, just what we need.

Syren
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
A future full of mindless zombies, just what we need.

petpet

We've got a forum full of them now, thought you'd be used to it tongue12

Arctic
Pretty interesting.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
We are getting closer and closer to the future and this becomes more possible everyday.
heres some interesting information on freezing
http://science.howstuffworks.com/cryonics2.htm

Would you freeze yourself? I personally would, i want to see what the future beholds as far as technology and whatnot.

I've been reading Hyperion and now cryogenics scares me laughing out loud

Anyway I think that would be pretty interesting if they could ensure my safety (at least for the duration of the freeze).

Arctic
Safety wouldn't really matter because you were just gonna die anyway, right? But it would be pretty cool to see what the world would be like so many years into the future.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Arctic
Safety wouldn't really matter because you were just gonna die anyway, right?

Isn't this about wanting to see the future? I'd want to be functional when I came out the other end.

Stealth Agent
id freeze myself when i was healthy n alive like at age 30 or 40

Marxman
One problem. Over population. What happens when an entire generation of 60 and 70 year olds start freezing themselves with instructions to thaw them out in 50-100 years? Then in 50-100 years we have a massive increase in population and the world's economy goes to shit. I think its an all around bad idea. Play the cards life dealt you.

Oncewhite
isn't this what happens in reincarnation, except this time, you keep the same shell, and who's to say that once your spirit leaves this body it'll be the same one going back into it? a married couple may freeze themselves but one of them may not come back in the same shell....

and about overpopulation, whose to say that nature won't take care of that in the next 100 years??

plus, you never know human nature, we change for both the good and the bad, 100 years from now or more could be drastic changes in social class, maybe even so much so that the ones who come back from the iceberg get treated like second class citizens b/c they aren't "current" 'like we are'...you never know, they could be made into servants or something like that....just think back 100 years, the social class was different, so, I would suspect that just b/c someone is considered attractive and pretty and smart TODAY, doesn't mean their physical and intellectual status will be able to compare to what people 100 years from now will be getting...and to think, if they are in their 30s, they will only recall their education from 100 years past...nothing modern like the ones born into the society of 100 years from now.

soin2cal
huh

Oncewhite
Originally posted by soin2cal
huh

what's the confusion about?? i think that people 100 years from now are going to be smarter (in their years) then we are in our years...so, if someone freezes themselves into the future, there is a possibility that when they thaw out, they'll be the village idiot, everyone else around them will be smarter and probably have a different mind set and culture, etc.

Marxman
If they're smarter they'll be advanced past the point of alienating those that are "different". You bring up a weak point. Its not going to be like Planet of the Apes of something as ridiculous as that. culture and society structure as progressively getting better for the minority. In the future, people will most likely be much more tolerant than they are now.

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Marxman
If they're smarter they'll be advanced past the point of alienating those that are "different". You bring up a weak point. Its not going to be like Planet of the Apes of something as ridiculous as that. culture and society structure as progressively getting better for the minority. In the future, people will most likely be much more tolerant than they are now.

i think people can be technologically smart but still alienate those that are "different. Japan is technologically advanced, very bright citizens, but how many people of all races and ethnicity have complained of racism in Japan?

And, I am not talking about genetic evolution, but technological, the parallel about "the planet of the apes" is nonsense b/c i wasn't talking in those terms. take someone who was at their social height 100 years ago, and let's say they secretly had cyrogentics and they are able to thaw out right now, they would have to learn the internet, driving, social relations, evolved spoken and written language, and our cultural issues, remember, the western culture is dynamic, or at least, it has been long enough to predict it.

cryogenetics is old news, you know, i did a special project about it in Chem class in high school.

Jack of Light
So... I could basically be Fry from Futurama?

Yuna_And_Tidus
I'm pretty sure I've already started a topic on cryogenic freezing.

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Jack of Light
So... I could basically be Fry from Futurama?

sure sick

AngryManatee
I'd wanna be frozen until they can put my brain in a robot like the one on Robocop 2, minus the insanity.

Leo.M
I'd never do it.

Oncewhite
Originally posted by AngryManatee
I'd wanna be frozen until they can put my brain in a robot like the one on Robocop 2, minus the insanity.

sorry if i sound silly, but i wonder..i think the brain is different then the mind ...

i'll start a thread about it, but have to think about how to word it...but many species have a MIND but not a brain or a large one (fungus, viruses, bugs, ect.) have some form of "mind" (i suspect a mind-map or network of communication b/t them, not sure of the range, but i do wonder if their frequency vibration gets interpreted by like or unlike viruses or bacteria, ect.), they have a MIND, imo, but no brain, and i even heard of accounts of coma victims, some folks in a coma or even brain dead, were able to process thought (while they were brain dead) and when they "came back", was able to explain what they heard...the mind is different from the brain, the brain is the hardware that interfaces with one (or more if you believe in "walk-ins"wink mind(s). sometimes, the software program (mind) is better then the hardware (brain) and other times, it's in reverse, the hardware (brain) has much more space/cells?? and speed/neuron-synapse??? then what the software (mind) is using but somehow, is pretty efficient in it all, the person maybe smart and quick, but just not expansive in being smart and quick.

King Nothing
posted by King Nothing
I would love to freeze myself.

It's not like I'm affraid of death, I just wanna see the future, the distant future. To bad cryojenics is so damn expensive.

Laurie
Originally posted by Leo.M
I'd never do it.

Me neither... I hate the cold! no

Marxman
Originally posted by Laurie
Me neither... I hate the cold! no laughing out loud

homer2.0
i think that would be pretty cool. see what the future has or not. i would freeze my self just to see what kinda neat stuff they invented like ps10

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.