3 Best/Worst live bands you've ever seen...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EPIIIBITES
Best shows:

Chemical Brothers - I pretty much lost it when "It Doesn't Matter" dropped. Gave new meaning to the word music. The bass in that song was the "feel" equivalent of Huxley's "Smellovision".

Pink Floyd - Division Bell tour - "Look at all the pretty lights...". I wanted to live at that concert forever.

Kula Shaker - K Tour - That band had some mojo in their prime. I think they reunited...who cares?

Worst:

Oasis - Be Here Now tour...every song sounded pretty much the same...a wall of guitars in G. Crap band without a studio.

Depeche Mode - Singles tour...basically a lounge act. I mean how into a show can you be if you're in a keyboard based band just acting like a jukebox playing your greatest hits. Lifeless, pointless tour and performance.

Black Grape - Ryder was a drunken mess. Embarrasing

vintageSW77
Best -

The Orb at the Manc Academy - on acid so it may have been an average gig sober but under the influence it wasnt
The Pixies at Old Trafford Cricket Ground - i couldnt believe i was watching them live
David Bowie at Glasto - all the classics

Worst
Run Dmc - DULL DULL DULL
Linkin Park and that band who did Last Resort - as a favour to a friend
Leftfield - a let down

The Core
Best:

Deftones - A perfect light show always compliments a flawless band.
Ben Folds Five - Surprisingly high energy!
Orgy - High energy and on point, despite rumors they sucked live.

Worst:

Converge - Theatrics and it sounded like "Falafal" over and over.
De la Soul - Just because they were playing an out door ampitheatre.
Job For A Cowboy - Bad engineering, set was cut short, etc.

MildPossession
I haven't lived, never been to a music gig/concert in my life....

Deathblow
Best:

Glassjaw - Incredible energy and stage presence.
The Flaming Lips - Like a musical circus from outerspace.
Opeth - Bands that genuinely sound better live than in the studio are rare to the point of non-existent. These guys are one of the very few.

Worst:

The Mars Volta - Definitely a studio band. Sounded paper-thin and Cedric's higher register vocals were horrible.
A Perfect Circle - Not terrible, just astoundingly average and that was bitterly disappointing for me.
Limp Bizkit - Weren't actually that bad technically, but the audience was full of morons and Fred Durst is arguably the most irritating frontman in the history of rock. Wanted to throttle him by the end of the show. Not a proud moment of my life, being there.

Kid Kurdy
I'll only mention the worst because I'm in a bad mood :

- Dog eat Dog (the horror !)
- Rammstein (it wasn't even funny)
- Marilyn Manson (I expected it to suck however)

Victor Von Doom
The best are Rammstein, Tool, and Fantomas.

The worst is NIN. I haven't not enjoyed any other band I've seen, barring supports.

tabby999
Best
3 with 36 Crazyfists - 3 have so much energy and an amazing percussion setup, followed by 36CF who just explode onstage.
Foo Fighters - at my first Big Day Out, Grohl held the whole crowd in his hands, it was amazing the way people reacted to him.
Parkway Drive - Brutal. Pretty hard to come by a better Aussie band at the moment.

Worst:
MXPX - they come from the planet neutral Kif!
Deftones - i dont know if it was the sound, thats what others have said it must have been, but i got a set of sludge. I couldn't seperate song from song.
I dont remember their name, they played when the Suicide Girls toured Aus but boy did they suck. It was the worst elements of Glam rock mixed with the worst elements of pop in one 45 minute train wreck. Like if the Scissor Sisters did a bag of blow and drank a keg of scotch then played.

RedAlertv2
^ Bonus points awarded for quoting Futurama

Solo
Originally posted by The Core
Ben Folds Five - Surprisingly high energy!

Very lucky.

Best:
Sonic Youth
Death Cab for Cutie
Nine Inch Nails

Worst:
The Killers
Angels and Airwaves
Nickelback

I haven't been to as many as I should.

Alpha Centauri
I'm not gonna say the obvious, but three bands I had a load of fun seeing were The Birthday Massacre, Mindless Self Indulgence and Foo Fighters.

Worst was definitely NIN.

-AC

vanice
The Best:
The Knife - fantastic stage show, and a band who almost never tours. In fact the performance I saw was their first outdoor concert ever.
Timbuktu and Damn! they're amazing live. I'm going to see them again in a month. YAY!!
T.S.O.O.L simply great

worst:
probably... I don't know really. I usually don't remember the names of the bands when you leave a concert on a festival for instance.
Lars Winnerbeck perhaps stick out tongue

Darth Revan
Originally posted by Deathblow
Worst:

The Mars Volta - Definitely a studio band. Sounded paper-thin and Cedric's higher register vocals were horrible.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I heard them opening for the Chili Peppers. I couldn't hear what the hell was going on, just sounded like noise.

Best:
RCHP
KRS-One
Public Enemy (minus the painfully long segment of the show featuring Flavor Flav alone on stage, trying to be an MC)

Hard to pick just three, I've been to more good shows than bad ones.

Worst would be The Mars Volta and NIN... NIN wasn't horrible, musically it was pretty flawless, it just felt awfully rehearsed. I was disappointed with Psalm One as well. Once again she wasn't bad, but not knowing her music I couldn't get into it at all.

Pezmerga
Best for me is Rush, White Stripes, and even though I dont like them anymore ICP, was a fun show at the time. heh Teenage years.

Barbarossa
Best:
Bad Religion- Great set, and to top it off, I got to meet Greg Graffin. And HE hugged ME.
Social Distortion- To say the energy at that show was overwhelming, would be an understatement. I've never sung along to so many songs.
The Adicts- Wonderful performance, and I got hit on by Monkey. 'Nuff said.

Worst:
Kill Hannah- I saw them when they opened for MSI. I think they are horrid recorded. Live, they are even worse.
Anti-Flag- Although Pat Thetic and Justin Sane were incredibly nice people, the others were dicks. Plus, they only played horrid material off of For Blood Or Empire. Which as an album, I despise.
The Effigies- Should Re-Retire. Enough said.

RedAlertv2
I envy you for meeting Greg Graffin. Bad Religion are awesome. I should be seeing them this summer at Warped, but unfortunately Ive never caught any of their headlining tours.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.