Do you sound the way you look?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Oncewhite
I was told that my voice is a pleasant, soothing sound, and I was always taught to speak on the affirmative, try to be sure of yourself and speak articulately (this is my upbringing, a strong training on how to conduct myself, to be formal in public, so it's pretty much set at this stage of my life)...matter of fact, when I left home, most thought I was in the military b/c of the way I spoke and carried myself....however, depending on who I am talking to, I wonder if it seems like I am talking down to a person (even though only a few people react badly to the way I sound, I still wonder...I am not the type to put on airs, but the listener may not be use to someone with my combination of look/speech ..I was always told that I sound differently then how I look, so since I sound pleasant, are they saying I don't look pleasant???? rolling on floor laughing )...I've worked on sounding less white over the past 10 years or so, in order to appease those seemed so troubled by the way I sounded...so, now, I sound more black then I ever have before.

And it's not racial, I had some whites react badly to my sound/look combination, as well as some blacks who are into slang/ghettoish sound, as they too have had "issues" with the way I talk/look...I'm not sure if it's liberal whites who hate to hear articulate blacks, or if it's something else, maybe it's not even race. Maybe it's a clash of upbringing, some parents may have been a lot more lax and not into formalities. Maybe some whites who are raised to be lax and informal, may find the minorities who were raised to be formal and speak on the affirmation as playing or mocking them? I find the most negative responses from either blacks from the ghetto or whites who were raised to be very lax and laid back, but may not realize that a person can't turn off the informal behavior so quickly.

Do you like the sound of your own voice? Do you sound more harsher then you look (raspy voice) or more pleasant eek! then you look? Were you taught to speak on the affirmative (be very direct and POSITIVE when you are talking to someone)?

Marxman
dontgetit

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Marxman
dontgetit

What? Did I embarrass myself? embarrasment

Alliance
Originally posted by Oncewhite
I'm not sure if it's liberal whites who hate to hear articulate blacks, or if it's something else, maybe it's not even race.

Why would liberal whites hate articulate blacks? (Sounds like Biden)

I appreciate it when people speak articulately, regardless of race.

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Alliance
Why would liberal whites hate articulate blacks? (Sounds like Biden)

I appreciate it when people speak articulately, regardless of race.

Yeah, but you know what? Imo, blacks/AA/minorities that are in the Democratic party aren't as articulate as the ones in the Republican party....would Hillary really get along with someone like Condi??? I could see Condi in a Republican side, but would be surprised to see Cynthia McKinney or Maxine Waters as Republicans, their diction and demeanor are different from someone like a Condi Rice, I could see Hillary getting along well with CM or MW, but I would be surprised to see her with a minority of the same caliber..but I could see a Republican with a minority of equal caliber...think it's an interesting debate on image/class/political party...and what's the real deal behind liberalism (classical vs political).

Alliance
I think that race and party will become less and less distinct (which is ironic to me) given how Republicans treat minorities in their policies.

There are stupid sounding republicans and democrats. I think you're reading too much into stuff. Obama is a clear contradiction to your theory. Just because Cynthia McKinney or Carol Moseley Braun are a little crazy and not the best speakers, doesn't mean Condi Rice or JC Watts ARE more intelligent. Honestly, I've hardly ever hear Watts make an intelligent response to a comment.

Keep in mind, of the 93 or so black Congressmen and Senators that have served in the modern era, only 3 have been Republican. YOu could argue that the Republican party is racist and will elect congressmen with the stupidist southern drawl, but will only suport a black cadidate if they sound articulate.

Oncewhite
I think that race and party will become less and less distinct (which is ironic to me) given how Republicans treat minorities in their policies.

There are stupid sounding republicans and democrats. I think you're reading too much into stuff. Obama is a clear contradiction to your theory. Just because Cynthia McKinney or Carol Moseley Braun are a little crazy and not the best speakers, doesn't mean Condi Rice or JC Watts ARE more intelligent. Honestly, I've hardly ever hear Watts make an intelligent response to a comment.

Keep in mind, of the 93 or so black Congressmen and Senators that have served in the modern era, only 3 have been Republican. YOu could argue that the Republican party is racist and will elect congressmen with the stupidist southern drawl, but will only suport a black cadidate if they sound articulate.

Obama is a closet Republican.

Shakyamunison
I was told that my voice is a pleasant, soothing sound, and I was always taught to speak on the affirmative, try to be sure of yourself and speak articulately (this is my upbringing, a strong training on how to conduct myself, to be formal in public, so it's pretty much set at this stage of my life)...matter of fact, when I left home, most thought I was in the military b/c of the way I spoke and carried myself....however, depending on who I am talking to, I wonder if it seems like I am talking down to a person (even though only a few people react badly to the way I sound, I still wonder...I am not the type to put on airs, but the listener may not be use to someone with my combination of look/speech ..I was always told that I sound differently then how I look, so since I sound pleasant, are they saying I don't look pleasant???? rolling on floor laughing )...I've worked on sounding less white over the past 10 years or so, in order to appease those seemed so troubled by the way I sounded...so, now, I sound more black then I ever have before.

And it's not racial, I had some whites react badly to my sound/look combination, as well as some blacks who are into slang/ghettoish sound, as they too have had "issues" with the way I talk/look...I'm not sure if it's liberal whites who hate to hear articulate blacks, or if it's something else, maybe it's not even race. Maybe it's a clash of upbringing, some parents may have been a lot more lax and not into formalities. Maybe some whites who are raised to be lax and informal, may find the minorities who were raised to be formal and speak on the affirmation as playing or mocking them? I find the most negative responses from either blacks from the ghetto or whites who were raised to be very lax and laid back, but may not realize that a person can't turn off the informal behavior so quickly.

Do you like the sound of your own voice? Do you sound more harsher then you look (raspy voice) or more pleasant eek! then you look? Were you taught to speak on the affirmative (be very direct and POSITIVE when you are talking to someone)?

Listen to my CD and tell me if I sound like I look.

Strangelove
I've been told that I sound how I look

JaehSkywalker
maybe.

Mindship
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Listen to my CD and tell me if I sound like I look. So shrewd... stick out tongue

Me? I've never been told one way or another if I sound like I look.
However, I've been told I'm as smart and as strong as I look... cool

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Listen to my CD and tell me if I sound like I look.

Well, people's singing voice is sometimes different from their talking voice. But I was never the one to judge a person based on voice/looks, but I've had people make that comment to me, so it made me wonder if this has ever happened to other people?

Yuna_And_Tidus
Nah, I don't really sound how I look. My voice is pretty deep and I hate it.

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Yuna_And_Tidus
Nah, I don't really sound how I look. My voice is pretty deep and I hate it.

some men might find this sexy...(no joke)

Yuna_And_Tidus
Eh..I dunno about that. Maybe, maybe not, but I don't. I mean it's not like Barry Manilow deep or anything, but I try my best to talk a bit higher than I sound when around guys.

Oncewhite
Eh..I dunno about that. Maybe, maybe not, but I don't. I mean it's not like Barry Manilow deep or anything, but I try my best to talk a bit higher than I sound when around guys.

i know what you speak of, i know a female who is petite but has a deeper voice then one would imagine. i wonder if that's the issue too, my voice maybe higher then my body frame, lol. laughing

Yuna_And_Tidus
i know what you speak of, i know a female who is petite but has a deeper voice then one would imagine. i wonder if that's the issue too, my voice maybe higher then my body frame, lol. laughing
laughing out loud Well, I guess it's all just how we're created, eh? I've heard BlackSunshine's voice as well and she DEFINATELY does not sound like what she looks. I like it though. It's about the same tone as mine.

Oncewhite
laughing out loud Well, I guess it's all just how we're created, eh? I've heard BlackSunshine's voice as well and she DEFINATELY does not sound like what she looks. I like it though. It's about the same tone as mine.

better to be smaller with a deep voice then to be larger with a high voice eek!

lord xyz
I hate my voice, it's very dull and boring. But that's probably because I don't move my mouth when I speak.

Alliance
Obama is a closet Republican.

Yeah, a clost republican disguised as a civil-rights laywer/professor.

Oncewhite
Yeah, a clost republican disguised as a civil-rights laywer/professor.

if i reverse your statement, are you insinuating that a civil rights attorney won't be a republican? a professor won't be a republican? a person who is both a civil-rights lawyer/professor is not going to be a republican?

not that i am one, but what do you have against republicans and what do you feel they stand for?

Oncewhite
so, are you thinking that there is no such thing as Gay Republicans, or gay repubs that are for gay marriage...simply b/c the majority in the party is against it??? that's what you are stating about the civil rights issue in the republican party, since majority of dems were for it that must mean that no repubs were for civil rights....

botankus
so, are you thinking that there is no such thing as Gay Republicans, or gay repubs that are for gay marriage...simply b/c the majority in the party is against it??? that's what you are stating about the civil rights issue in the republican party, since majority of dems were for it that must mean that no repubs were for civil rights....

I'll give you 5 bucks to change that avi of yours. For some reason everytime you post, I think of the 3 blind hags in Clash of the Titans. That Darryl Hannah wanna-be in your sig doesn't help, either.

Oncewhite
Originally posted by botankus
I'll give you 5 bucks to change that avi of yours. For some reason everytime you post, I think of the 3 blind hags in Clash of the Titans. That Darryl Hannah wanna-be in your sig doesn't help, either.

well, since you asked nicely, i'll see what i can do, the first pic is of STORM, and I like it.

botankus
I just thought about it, but my post actually was on-topic. Sort of. I was wondering if you came across the way you appeared, which is like an old hag.

BobbyD
I (think I) sound the way I look; but not the age I am, if that makes any sense.

Oncewhite
I just thought about it, but my post actually was on-topic. Sort of. I was wondering if you came across the way you appeared, which is like an old hag.

with the likes of your compliments, i'll be sure have a high esteem, but maybe i'm fortunate enough to rely on my own self worth...so, on second thought, i'll leave the pic up just the way it is.

http://myspace-990.vo.llnwd.net/00525/09/93/525923990_l.gif

botankus
That's okay, but I'm just saying that someone's avi says a lot about the person. Your avi shows this ugly she-b!tch from some cartoon, so I was a bit worried. My sig, on the other hand, shows a naked kid and puking gargoyle, so I'm not in a much better boat. sad

Quiero Mota
Yes, very much so.

Yeah. Some guys like a women with a deeper, breathy voice. I do, if it fits the particular women.

Alliance
if i reverse your statement, are you insinuating that a civil rights attorney won't be a republican? a professor won't be a republican? a person who is both a civil-rights lawyer/professor is not going to be a republican?

not that i am one, but what do you have against republicans and what do you feel they stand for?

I don't have anything against Republicans, I have issues with the Republican party platform, which any given Republican may or may not adhere to on any given issue.

I generally don't like conservatism, and I don't think its a good way to approach problems, but there are times when it works. We have a pluralistic society, and I think we are better for it.

People rarely fit into a "A" or "B" mold, but in a two party system, if you want you're vote to count, you gotta choose. You will find that I, despite identifying myself as a "liberal" am very "conservative" on many issues, yet, I will support Democratic candidates 90% of the time and I would not vote for a Republican candidate that I knew nothing about. I campaign for democrats, but am also at odds with them on issues. I choose a mold, despite the fact that the shoe is uncomfortable at times.

People are different from their parties, but parties are monolithic organizations in the US. People generally have associated values. If you have a fairly conservative view on sex, for instance, that can determine your position on a lot of social issues, which collectively will influence the party you are most likely to vote for. I'm not saying that there aren't Republican civil-rights lawyers, professors, or gays. I'm saying that its unlikely that these parties would nominate these people to represent their party.

I know of a gay republican congressman, but I know of many more gay Democrats. I know of former black Republican congressmen, but I know of many many more black democrats. You can't sit there and tell me when 95% of black congressmen and women in the US represent the democratic party, that there is not some type of force that skews the representation. I'm not saying its institutional (as in Republicans don't like black people) but there is some associating of values that skews the results. Hence, a civil rights lawyer or professor is more likely to be a democrat than not. I don't know how many civil rights lawyers represent the Republican party, but I bet it would be an odd disguise for a Republican.

However, may I point out that YOU first said that Obama was a closet Republican because he was articulate (despite the fact it goes against the majority of his platform). Before you go and question my "insinuations", question your own preconceptions first.

Oncewhite
I campaign for democrats

somehow, i already knew this, there are a couple of live ones in here, not just you. and as far as racist dems or repubs, i've run into both, so i figure it has to do with the person and not the party. now, affirmative action was an issue that divided things across racial lines.

RedAlertv2
Is there really a corellation?

Kaldorei
I look better than I sound. big grin

PiruBlood

actually people say my voice is better than my looks. they say i got the hardcore voice. and i dont care what race the chick is because my motto is if she's hot then lets go to the bedroom.

speiderman
maybe. I know that I have a good speaking voice.
it is deep like James Earl Jone's voice

botankus
Originally posted by speiderman
it is deep like James Earl Jone's voice
I talk like Rosie O' Donnell, so I got you beat.

vintageSW77
Steve Coogan when sober
Liam Gallagher or Frank Gallagher when drunk...which is interesting as i share the same surname

PiruBlood
I talk like Rosie O' Donnell, so I got you beat.

* impersonates the donald* points at you and says you are a loser.

Laurie
Originally posted by Marxman
dontgetit

Marxman, I am gonna sue you! I laughed so much at your post I choked on half of my pepsi, the other half seeped through my keyboard! lol

Naz
no expression No one has ever mentioned to me if I sound how I look or not.

Rogue Jedi
i sound like mike tyson, with a hint of vin diesel and sean connery. laughing out loud

BackFire
I'm 6'4", 280lbs and lazy.

I have a deep voice, and I mumble, because I'm lazy.

I sound the way I look.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by BackFire

I sound the way I look.
dont you just love being a big guy? i sure do!!! 6'1, 220 pounds.

DarkC
Well...

I was on Ventrilo once with some guildmates while playing WoW, I asked them how old they thought I was.

"Ummm, I'd say 24, 25." a soft-spoken woman says.
"I'd say late twenties." another woman says.
"30-35." A guy says.
"40." Some other guy says.

I sound absolutely nothing like what I look.

Smiter
200lbs dark skin. but I sound like a girl.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by BackFire

I sound the way I look.

I'm 5'10, 220 (buff, not fat).

I have a deep, raspy voice, that's also loud and booming. It fits my appearance and personality.

Lord Urizen
5'6, 153 lbs, tan skin, lean muscular (but got a lil fat)

Lord Urizen
U gotta remember, it's usually the smaller dogs who do the most barking laughing

Shakyamunison

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
U gotta remember, it's usually the smaller dogs who do the most barking laughing

is that you in the picture??? why do you have a tiger in between your legs?you know those kind of cats have ticks... laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.