effect of studying film on movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fionalin7
i dont know if anyone experience this one but when i started film school, im starting to watch movies in a different point of view and sometimes it really bugs me. I'm naming the shot sizes and the camera moves. does anyone encountered this? i dont know if this helps me in a good way or a bad way....

Rade
Well I kind of know what you mean but in a different way. I used to watch movies but I was clueless and never really paid attention to anything, basically I was naive. Now when I watch movies, I appreciate them and Ill watch and take note of everything in my head. For example when I was watching the "Prestige" I kept looking at Christian Bale's little tiny pimple he had on his corner of his nose. And I kept wondering if that pimple dissapeared in some of the shots. But maybe it is just because I am older and a bit more mature.

MildPossession
I think most people who study film in anyway will start looking differently at all films. I know I did after studying film.

Solo
I've always looked at film from a technical stand point. For the most part, at least.

dirkdirden
Most people will watch a movie like Citizen Kane and not see what is so great about the movie.

Anyone who has taken a film class will watch it with a different view and like/respect it

fionalin7
i guess it's natural. But as the years go by, you start to internalize that knowledge and it becomes second nature as opposed to something that you have to consciously think about all the time.

Dusty
Originally posted by fionalin7
i dont know if anyone experience this one but when i started film school, im starting to watch movies in a different point of view and sometimes it really bugs me. I'm naming the shot sizes and the camera moves. does anyone encountered this? i dont know if this helps me in a good way or a bad way....

Yeah, it gets to you sometimes. From a technical standpoint, a better film is one that you don't think about as much from a makers point of view, but as a viewer.

shereeful
All i know, we had different ways or reaction in studying a film.. it will depend on you how you control that.. smokin'

fionalin7
It kinda forces me to lose that "simple" way of dealing with the movies, but I think it's a very good thing since my experience in the movie watching is enhanced by all this knowledge. A bit tiresome sometimes maybe, but a good thing in the end.

exanda kane
When you can finally can resist getting completely sucked into a film, when you don't feel yourself being spoon fed by the narrative, then you know you have the beginnings of the pretentious fuilm student.

I've been one for many years now, and it is great to see things you never saw before, to understand the greater context, the narrative devices the screenwriter has used, and the way the director has implemented them on screen. However, sometimes there is a point where you just feel that you need some standard, cliche action movie and forget it all, like the Figutive (Your supposed to have taste as a film student, stay away from Steven Seagal and 300!)

soin2cal
I am curious to exactly put myself in your view here.
I know that movies gave me less amusement when watching them at school ages ago because i couldnt conecentrate on them LOL

guinanie
Studying film on movies is the form of arts and it is a craft or talent. Films are produced by recording actual people and objects with cameras, or by creating images using animation techniques or special effects.
I think it helps you in a good way because it help you improve your craft in film.

Originally posted by fionalin7

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.