Womens right's in the Middle East

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Faceman
Ok, so i have this paper due in my Sociology class. The paper is on Womens Rights in the Middle East. So i thought you all in KMC, being that your all so smart (really you are)could help me with some thoughts. What rights( if any) do women have in the Middle East? I heard maybe Iran, is the only country in the Middle East that give their women the most rights. Anybody know if Iraq's new constitution give women any more right's than before?

Jack of Light
They have gotten more rights. Before, they could only divorce their husbands if abuse is witnessed by an authority. Now they can divorce their husband for reasons like being a polygamist. They have voting rights as well, but I can't think of others right now. I'll tell you later if I can find some Iraq stuff.

Draco69
Let me put it this way:

My dog has more rights than a woman in the Middle East....

Maestro
This is a good link and pretty much explains it all.

http://hrw.org/women/overview-mena.html

botankus
Originally posted by Faceman
Anybody know if Iraq's new constitution give women any more right's than before?
I heard a vote to allow breathing without the consequence of decapitation is going to go before their congress.

Faceman
Originally posted by Maestro
This is a good link and pretty much explains it all.

http://hrw.org/women/overview-mena.html Thanks a lot Maestro, it really did give me some ideas.... smile

Magee
No plagiarism now.

Fatima
Originally posted by Draco69
Let me put it this way:

My dog has more rights than a woman in the Middle East....

Let me put it this way:

Your dog is more educated than you ..ignorant miffed

when we should debate about the women right in the oriental society , we should take into consideration , the religious , historical and political factor , into consideration
and thats doesn't deny the fact that the society in the middle east and particularly the women should take the long and hard way toward freedom ,put it in your mind that Islam gave the women rights but the problem is traditions (anti-islamic) beliefs ..As for political right most countries are still working in this issue in my country there's 2 female ministers , in Parliament and many major places women compete man and thats really great ..

crap ..

TRH
we need to abolish islam

Maestro
Originally posted by Fatima
Let me put it this way:

Your dog is more educated than you ..ignorant miffed

when we should debate about the women right in the oriental society , we should take into consideration , the religious , historical and political factor , into consideration
and thats doesn't deny the fact that the society in the middle east and particularly the women should take the long and hard way toward freedom ,put it in your mind that Islam gave the women rights but the problem is traditions (anti-islamic) beliefs ..As for political right most countries are still working in this issue in my country there's 2 female ministers , in Parliament and many major places women compete man and thats really great ..

crap ..

Prove me wrong about my link. Apart from having two women in parliament, which is a small minority and coming across impressed with women actually competing with men at workplaces, which last time I checked, was a norm in most places in the world there isn't anything else to celebrate about hence the title of the thread.

lil bitchiness
Ahem.

Since Arab invasion, women have lost a great portion of their rights in the Middle East.
A lot what women could do in Pre-islamic times, can no longer do now.
Furthermore,

Middle Eastern, or rather Persian women were horrified at the Ancient Greeks and later Roman male dominated society. Gender equality was great in Persian empire.
Women of the Pre-islamic middle east did not only equal men but at times ruled them too, and at times, had salery which was twice that of men.

Iran today however, there is a portion of women which are in dentistry, science, medicine and law, but their freedom and equality was lost with Arab invasion.

Rade
Isnt Pakistan more of a secular country? I am sure that women their have more rights then other middle eastern countries. What about Azjerban, Turkmenistan, and those other Bans and Stans. Dubai and those places were CEO's go to vacation and play golf.

Quiero Mota
Are non-existant.

Originally posted by Rade
Isnt Pakistan more of a secular country?

Are you kidding? It's an Islamic Republic

grey fox
A friend of mine told me that his old schooling system taught him that 'Islam views women in high respect' which is why all this shit happens. Thus our countries brain-wash the young with their bullshit.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by TRH
we need to abolish religion

Fixed. Either it's all okay or non of it is, buster.

Tptmanno1
There are some good documentaries out there, by muslim women...
they are on youtube and google video,
Try
"Life of an iraqi"

Faceman
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
There are some good documentaries out there, by muslim women...
they are on youtube and google video,
Try
"Life of an iraqi" Thanks! smile

Blaxican
roses are red
Lemons are sour
Open ur legs
And give me an hour

Kissing Is A Habit
****ing Is A Game
Guys Get All The Pleasure
Girls Get All The Pain
10 Minutes Of Pleasure
9 Months Of Pain
3 Days In The Hospital
A Baby Without A Name
The Baby Is A Bastard
The Mother Is A Whore
This Woulda Never Happend
If The Rubber Hadn't Tore!!

Sex is like math
You subtract the clothes
Add the bed
Divide the legs
And Pray to god
You dont multiply

Roses are red
Grass is green
Open your legs
And I'll fill you with cream

Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid

Sex is evil
Sex is a sin
Sins are forgiven
So stick it in!!!

Roses are red
Pickles are green
I like your legs
Especially between

Alliance
Originally posted by Rade
Isnt Pakistan more of a secular country? I am sure that women their have more rights then other middle eastern countries. What about Azjerban, Turkmenistan, and those other Bans and Stans. Dubai and those places were CEO's go to vacation and play golf.

Not really. When Musharaff lead his coup, he said he would run a secular government. He has since found it politically easier to incorporate some Islamic law into the Pakistani government. Hes certainly not as anti-"islamicist" as he once was.

Rade
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Are non-existant.

Are you kidding? It's an Islamic Republic

Are you kidding me? Countries with "Islamic Republic" are not always "Islamic" republics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_republic

Sado22
let me just post a few quickies here:
-most universities in the arab world have more female students than male.
-woman and men both work openly and equally.
-woman make upto 50% of the workforce.
-arabic women were the first women in the world to have been granted rights. no other religion gave women rights off the bat. islam did. the rights muslim women had 1400 years ago were more than the rights a european or american woman had at the start of 20th century.

also i gotta ask:
how many of you people have actually been to an arab country? ever lived there? ever came there and lived there for atleast a week?

the way i see it:
-don't pass a comment on a soceity you've never lived in
-don't talk like you know something about a country you've never been to
-and don't post crappy links from a source as unreliable as an internet site.

~Sado

FeceMan
The ignorance displayed in this thread burns the retinas.

Bardiel13
Islam = Theocracy lol!

God, some people...

Fatima
Originally posted by Sado22
let me just post a few quickies here:
-most universities in the arab world have more female students than male.
-woman and men both work openly and equally.
-woman make upto 50% of the workforce.
-arabic women were the first women in the world to have been granted rights. no other religion gave women rights off the bat. islam did. the rights muslim women had 1400 years ago were more than the rights a european or american woman had at the start of 20th century.

also i gotta ask:
how many of you people have actually been to an arab country? ever lived there? ever came there and lived there for atleast a week?

the way i see it:
-don't pass a comment on a soceity you've never lived in
-don't talk like you know something about a country you've never been to
-and don't post crappy links from a source as unreliable as an internet site.

~Sado

Sado ... you won my respect smile Happy Dance

chillmeistergen
Why in the title is there an apostrophe in rights in the title.

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by FeceMan
The ignorance displayed in this thread burns the retinas.

Lord Urizen
This link will tell you about women's rights in the Middle East:

http://timescolumns.typepad.com/gledhill/2007/03/saudi_woman_get.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.