Just how does Thing compare to Thor? Really?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Accel

xmarksthespot
When two characters with disparate physical statistics, when taking into account other appearances, are made to fight in comics the characters are usually made to appear similar so as to prolong the comic to an acceptable length; especially when the lesser character has a significant fanbase.

Mindship
In Marvel's Olden Days, Thing was stronger than Thor. He was #2, right behind Hulk, then Thor came right after him, at #3.

Ah, when life was simple.

willRules
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
When two characters with disparate physical statistics, when taking into account other appearances, are made to fight in comics the characters are usually made to appear similar so as to prolong the comic to an acceptable length; especially when the lesser character has a significant fanbase.

I agree yes

*cough - spider-man vs wolverine-cough*

Accel
So do battle feats not mean any thing then?

Newjak
Originally posted by Accel
So do battle feats not mean any thing then? Not when we see the whole picture on a subject. The fact is Thing is on a consistent level of strength. He had trouble picking up one of Wonderman's bar bells.

She-Hulk one arm pressed Things max see the picture. Any battle feat invovling Thing managing to hold his own against people stronger than these shows who Thing really isn't that strong. H lasts in matches because for one he will never give up and I think his durability is far better than his strength but in relaity he doesn't have the means to win any of his fights.

ITs not like he is going to stalemate these guys for very long.

xmarksthespot
So do battle feats not mean any thing then? Let's not hastily go down the yellow brick road.

All I was saying is that usually comic fights, and in particular fights between heroes, will strive to give the impression of the fight being close.

Take for example if Wonder Woman were to ever fight Thing in a comic. Despite the fact that Thing has been shown consistently at a level of strength far lower than WW, as well as pretty much every other physical attribute, writers would probably manage to make a fight out of it.
No one wants to read a comic where for example Wonder Woman decks Thing in a single panel, in fact it wouldn't even constitute a comic - it would be a panel.

When one looks at a fight between two characters, particularly two heroes, in and of itself, it will normally suggest equality. When one looks at these fights, what the characters have shown separately - with regard to both their strengths and their limitations - should be considered.

Accel
Hmmm... I see what you mean.

So just how much stronger than Thing would you guys say Thor is? 1.5X stronger? 2X stronger? 5X? 10X?

Newjak

So just how much stronger than Thing would you guys say Thor is? 1.5X stronger? 2X stronger? 5X? 10X? The way I would put it is this.

How much stronger is a High class top-tier strength guy compared to a high class Middle-tier guy

grey fox

Accel
Originally posted by Newjak
The way I would put it is this.

How much stronger is a High class top-tier strength guy compared to a high class Middle-tier guy
That's retty much what this whole thread is about, regarding strength hierarchy in Marvel.

Thing represents the mid-tiers like Colossus, Strong Guy, and She-Hulk and Thor represents the top-tiers like Hercules, Hulk, and Sasquatch.

I think the whole conisistency thing works in that Thing has consistently held his own against these guys, which would imply that he's not that far behind. Overall, I consider the incidnet with Wonder Man's barbell to be somewhat more inconsistent, since I can recall Thing holding his own against Simon on at least three occasions.

Newjak
That's retty much what this whole thread is about, regarding strength hierarchy in Marvel.

Thing represents the mid-tiers like Colossus, Strong Guy, and She-Hulk and Thor represents the top-tiers like Hercules, Hulk, and Sasquatch.

I think the whole conisistency thing works in that Thing has consistently held his own against these guys, which would imply that he's not that far behind. Overall, I consider the incidnet with Wonder Man's barbell to be somewhat more inconsistent, since I can recall Thing holding his own against Simon on at least three occasions. He also had She-Hulk one arm press his match.

I think the big thing is Thing's heart durability and sometimes skill help him stay in fights.

As for how far behind Thing is for Thor the gap is huge when you compare feats and just the overall stregth exertions they have performed. Herc and Thor have shaken a planet through arm wrestling. Thing has never done anything remotely like this.

I would also liek to point out in all is matches with high-tier guys Thing defently will loose he never truely has a chance but to stalemate for a little bit. Why because he doesn't have the means to win he can't put the other guys down while the other guys can put things down.

xmarksthespot
Cliche as it is. I tend to use Superman as a benchmark for top tier bricks.

Could he fight Superman in a brawl? Yes/no. There's your answer.

Grimm22
Obviously Thor is stronger, I mean the guy is a freakin' god and Ben is just a brusier from Yancy Street

Basicly comic characters's strength levels are determined by where their powers come from, and the type of character they are.

For instance, guys like Thor, Sasquatch and Silver Surfer are going to be class 100 because their powers derrive from higher forces (Being a god, being powered by a god and the power cosmic) where guys like Thing, Colossus and She-Hulk are not as powerful because they get their powers from more down to earth forces (cosmic radiation, mutation, gamma blood transfusion). Where they are very strong, they aren't ever going to be fist fighting Thanos or anything like that erm

Jyppe
When did Thing fight against Immortal Hercules? I remember him punching ancient, mortal Hercules, but not Immortal.

Galan007

Soljer
Originally posted by Galan007
The phrase, "Fly on a Horse's ass" comes to mind. doped

laughing

Too true.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Mindship
In Marvel's Olden Days, Thing was stronger than Thor. He was #2, right behind Hulk, then Thor came right after him, at #3.

Ah, when life was simple.

confused

Thing started at Class 10 if I'm not mistaken. And Thor was always Marvel's top dog when Stan Lee was writing him.

Grimm22
Originally posted by DigiMark007
confused

Thing started at Class 10 if I'm not mistaken. And Thor was always Marvel's top dog when Stan Lee was writing him.

I think he was reffering to the days without strength classes erm

Validus

So just how much stronger than Thing would you guys say Thor is? 1.5X stronger? 2X stronger? 5X? 10X?
In a one on one confrontation between the two, Thor would likely only be portrayed as 2-3x stronger by the majority of writers, if even that much. However as far as the forum goes and the way we do battles and compare feats, Thor and other top level strongmen are too far above Thing to even put a number on.

long pig
In Thor's comics, it's litterally, point blankly said Thor is stronger than Hulk and it says Thor's strength grows when he pumps himself up with his inner god-magic.

At his height, he's probably 20x stronger than Thing if not more. He's written as being stronger than everyone in his own comic, even people like Mephisto and yes, even Stranger. Make sense? No. But...what can you do?

Soljer
Originally posted by long pig
In Thor's comics, it's litterally, point blankly said Thor is stronger than Hulk and it says Thor's strength grows when he pumps himself up with his inner god-magic.

At his height, he's probably 20x stronger than Thing if not more. He's written as being stronger than everyone in his own comic, even people like Mephisto and yes, even Stranger. Make sense? No. But...what can you do?

Any chance of scans?

Nikkolas
That's becaude Dan Slott both overestimates She-Hulk's strength and underestimates Thing's. He said it himself, really.

Plus Thing doesn't have a max, by showings. It was a wank moment for Slott to further assrape She-Hulk into being second only to Hulk in physical power.

But, yeah, Thor ain't much stronger than Thing. Goiing by fights, which are canon, he's not outclassed by that much. Thing's punches have hurt Thor. He was said to have a good chance of almost winning in an armwrestle with Thor. He was said to hti as hard as Thor.

But, hey, feel free to think you know better than the writers, guys.

Newjak
Originally posted by Nikkolas
That's becaude Dan Slott both overestimates She-Hulk's strength and underestimates Thing's. He said it himself, really.

Plus Thing doesn't have a max, by showings. It was a wank moment for Slott to further assrape She-Hulk into being second only to Hulk in physical power.

But, yeah, Thor ain't much stronger than Thing. Goiing by fights, which are canon, he's not outclassed by that much. Thing's punches have hurt Thor. He was said to have a good chance of almost winning in an armwrestle with Thor. He was said to hti as hard as Thor.

But, hey, feel free to think you know better than the writers, guys. OK how about Thing having trouble lifting one of Woncerman's barbells which by the way WM picked up with one hand along with Thing.

Fact is Thing is only in Thor's league in possible fights but he doesn't have the mean to when a fight against any top-tier character in strength.

Grimm22
OK how about Thing having trouble lifting one of Woncerman's barbells which by the way WM picked up with one hand along with Thing.

Fact is Thing is only in Thor's league in possible fights but he doesn't have the mean to when a fight against any top-tier character in strength.

That was when Ben was class 85 no expression

Ben is class 90-95 nowadays.

However, if you ask me guys like Thor and Hercules should be stronger than Hulk erm

I mean for pete's sake they're gods!

Newjak
Originally posted by Grimm22
That was when Ben was class 85 no expression

Ben is class 90-95 nowadays.

However, if you ask me guys like Thor and Hercules should be stronger than Hulk erm

I mean for pete's sake they're gods! Hulk does have the whole unlimited strength thing going for him but yeah generally Thor and Herc are stronger than Hulk.

Exatcly Ben still isn't even in the Class 100 department yet.

Grimm22
Hulk does have the whole unlimited strength thing going for him but yeah generally Thor and Herc are stronger than Hulk.

Exatcly Ben still isn't even in the Class 100 department yet.

Even if Ben was Class 100, he still shouldn't be stronger than Thor, but thats just me erm

Newjak
Even if Ben was Class 100, he still shouldn't be stronger than Thor, but thats just me erm Wait what are you trying to say because I don't beleive Thing is stronger than Thor either erm

Grimm22
I'm saying that even if Ben reaches Class 100 one day that he still shouldn't be stronger than Thor, because Thor is beyond class 100

xmarksthespot
Even if Ben was Class 100, he still shouldn't be stronger than Thor, but thats just me erm That's just basically everyone. He wouldn't be as strong as, let alone stronger than.

In terms of physicality, Class 100 can be divided roughly into three parts I'd say.

Litmus test for the high section:
Can they at least give Superman a respectable fight in a H2H no superspeed brawl?

Captain Marvel? Yep.
Black Adam? Definitely.
Wonder Woman? Sure, why not.
Juggernaut? Certainly.
Thor? Very much so.
Hulk? Uh-huh.

Thing? No. Just no.

Grimm22
That's just basically everyone. He wouldn't be as strong as, let alone stronger than.

In terms of physicality, Class 100 can be divided roughly into three parts I'd say.

Litmus test for the high section:
Can they at least give Superman a respectable fight in a H2H no superspeed brawl?

Captain Marvel? Yep.
Black Adam? Definitely.
Wonder Woman? Sure, why not.
Juggernaut? Certainly.
Thor? Very much so.
Hulk? Uh-huh.

Thing? No. Just no.

Even with prep from Batman? shifty

Clobberin Time!
Thing is not Class 100. He's still at 85 tons, and I'm fine with that.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Clobberin Time!
Thing is not Class 100. He's still at 85 tons, and I'm fine with that.

Actually he's at 90-95 tons no expression

Clobberin Time!
Actually he's at 90-95 tons no expression Lets not get carried away here. He's Class 90, which is 75-90 tons. 85 falls into that category. Thing is fine and dandy as the underdog imo.

Nataku8188
I'll break it down for you;

Thing;
=========)
Thor;
============================================)

Kay?

Doctor S.T.D.
As stated by Whirly recently in another thread; How the Hell do you quantify the UN quantifiable? Strengths levels are subjective to the writers interpretations. Some of the estimates in here seem WAY off.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.