Religon and Politics in today's world.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eclipso
The video isn't the best visual quality. But the sound is fine and really suggest people listen to it. It makes a very important statement about religon mixing with politics.

zTzS0Z4BUto

TRH
Republican=Fascist
Democrat=Revisionist Liberal Mega Capitalists

Strangelove
The relationship between religion and politics should be nonexistent, but unfortunately, that won't happenOriginally posted by TRH
Republican=Fascist
Democrat=Revisionist Liberal Mega Capitalists TRH=off-topic

Marxman
I always thought it was

Conservatives are Fascists and Liberals are Commies. ermm

Alliance
TRH=wrong

I'm liberal and I'm more facist than commie.

Obama's position on religion in politics is much more well put. smile

lord xyz
I hate right wingers.

Capt_Fantastic
Did I just see a clip from Designing Women?

Strangelove
Originally posted by Alliance
Obama's position on religion in politics is much more well put. smile roll eyes (sarcastic) You'll take any opportunity to plug Obama, won't you?

I'm curious, is this video from a movie or an actual newscast? I must say, what that woman said---well said clapping

Soleran
As long as people believe in religion it is going to be a part of politics.

Badabing
Originally posted by lord xyz
I hate right wingers. So much for compassion and open mindedness from the Left Wing. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anyway, as we see from some of the regimes in the Mideast, Religion can be morphed into a pernicious tool when it controls governments. I don't have a problem with Religion in the private and public arena. For example: Christmas. Hanukkah, Ramadan, etc. decorations during their respective Holidays on people's homes, yards or public grounds. As for Religion in Government, I don't believe that Religion should make policy but those of Faith should use facts as the guiding principle for decisions. I personally don't use my Faith as a guide in running my business but I won't do anything that I personally find morally wrong.

Marxman
Politics and religion are touchy subjects. Even touchier when combined.

Example: Abortion.
Pro-Choicers: The beliefs of others should not be imposed on others. Making it illegal takes away from my rights. Making it legal still gives those opposed the option to not do it. Problem solved

Pro-Lifers: Life begins and conception. We have an obligation as human beings to protect all life and therefore it should be outlawed just as killing those born. Abortion is murder, plain and simple.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Soleran
As long as people believe in religion it is going to be a part of politics.

That's true, but in Western countries it's only really applicable to the US. In most of Europe you can see a clear separation, and it doesn't really hold much power.

Marxman
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
That's true, but in Western countries it's only really applicable to the US. In most of Europe you can see a clear separation, and it doesn't really hold much power. That's because America was founded by the prude nut jobs that left Europe. sad

Alliance
No. Religion is not controlling governments. Governments are using religion as a tool of state. VERY WRONG.

"But what I am suggesting is this - secularists are wrong when they ask believers to leave their religion at the door before entering into the public square. Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, Williams Jennings Bryan, Dorothy Day, Martin Luther King - indeed, the majority of great reformers in American history - were not only motivated by faith, but repeatedly used religious language to argue for their cause. To say that men and women should not inject their "personal morality" into public policy debates is a practical absurdity; our law is by definition a codification of morality, much of it grounded in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

This brings me to my second point. Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all.

You know that we enter times that are fraught with possibilities for good and for harm, times when we are struggling to make sense of a common polity in the context of plurality, when we are unsure of what grounds we have for making any claims that involve others."

- BHObama

Marxman
Originally posted by Alliance
No. Religion is not controlling governments. Governments are using religion as a tool of state. VERY WRONG.

"But what I am suggesting is this - secularists are wrong when they ask believers to leave their religion at the door before entering into the public square. Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, Williams Jennings Bryan, Dorothy Day, Martin Luther King - indeed, the majority of great reformers in American history - were not only motivated by faith, but repeatedly used religious language to argue for their cause. To say that men and women should not inject their "personal morality" into public policy debates is a practical absurdity; our law is by definition a codification of morality, much of it grounded in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

This brings me to my second point. Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all.

You know that we enter times that are fraught with possibilities for good and for harm, times when we are struggling to make sense of a common polity in the context of plurality, when we are unsure of what grounds we have for making any claims that involve others."

- BHObama That is an intelligent human being.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Did I just see a clip from Designing Women?

Originally posted by Strangelove
roll eyes (sarcastic) You'll take any opportunity to plug Obama, won't you?

I'm curious, is this video from a movie or an actual newscast? I must say, what that woman said---well said clapping

Strangelove
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Did I just see a clip from Designing Women? Yeah, I saw that after I posted, a little too late srug

Eclipso
Regardless I think it makes a valid point abotu how seperation of church and state is pretty much a myth these days.

Eclipso
So what do you guys think of the subject of seperation of church and state is it a good or bad idea? why or why not?

J-Beowulf
Originally posted by lord xyz
I hate right wingers.

But we love you! smile

EDIT: Actually, I'm more of a traditionalist... more in the middle than to the right, but definitely leaning that way.

Basically, I'm not left.

Alliance
You're not what you percieve the left to be.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.