Worst trades of all time.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
what are some of the worst trades you guys have ever seen?

TaZ#12
The Babe Ruth trade, although I didn't see it, I've heard about it.

Rogue Jedi
one that stuck with me was the one where the rockets acuired barkley. is that the one where they gave up otis thorpe?

Darth Martin
Shaq trade to Miami and the T-Mac to Houston.

Kobe and Shaq would have set their differences asside and would be sippin martinis with Phil and winnin championships with ease.

What if Orlando had of kept T-Mac and waited 2 or 3 years, now they have Howard who is a BEAST. Imagine those two together.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Darth Martin

Kobe and Shaq would have set their differences asside and would be sippin martinis with Phil and winnin championships with ease.

What if Orlando had of kept T-Mac and waited 2 or 3 years, now they have Howard who is a BEAST. Imagine those two together.
good one, i forgot about that one. i just didnt get it when the rockets traded cassell, horry, AND thorpe. i admit, drexler was a welcome addition, but barkley? come on. then, when they added pippen to the mix, there wasnt enough basketballs on the court for them all.

wuTa
Barkley is a MVP, and hall of famer, you would be crazy not to want him.

I wouldn't call the Shaq/Miami or Tmac/Houston trades the worse trades either, both those players publicy acknowledged they wanted to be on different teams, and there teams did the best they could to get what was worth out of them.

Lord Evolution

Shaq to Miami? IMO that was a good trade, we weren't going to win any more championships with that fat lazy son of a ***** who didn't even want to be there. If he didn't want to be there I highly doubt that we would have kept up our winning ways.

Plus you have to consider the salary, we couldn't hold both Shaq's and Kobe at the same time seeing as how Kobe was a free agent and he was asking for the $$$.

The fact that we traded Shaq was not a bad thing, it is what we got in return. We should have traded him to the Mavericks to get Dirk or Twolves to get KG or just somewhere else where we could have gotten a superstar....

Myth
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
good one, i forgot about that one. i just didnt get it when the rockets traded cassell, horry, AND thorpe. i admit, drexler was a welcome addition, but barkley? come on. then, when they added pippen to the mix, there wasnt enough basketballs on the court for them all.

Wow, you are really mixed up on what happened with the Rockets. Thorpe was traded to the Blazers along with a 1st round pick and a nobody for Drexler and Tracy Murray. It seemed bad at first for the Blazers (Rockets got another championship), but it set the Blazers up for a strong 2nd half of the decade. Barkley was traded to the Rockets for the 96-97 season and they had 57 wins with Barkley, Drexler, and Olajuwon. They got to the western conference finals and lost in 6 to Utah, thats not too shabby. Drexler then retired before the 99 season and Pippen then signed. Pippen, Barkley, and Olajuwon had already been passed their prime by then, so that didn't work, but the last addition wasn't even a trade.

wuTa
Pippen was a pain in the ass as a Rocket though, his pride wouldn't let him recognize that he was past his prime and he did more b!tching and moaning than he did playing.

Smasandian
Maybe, the Vince Carter trade?

But I say the Eric Lindros trade was the worst.

Lindros for Peter Forsberg, Mark Ricci, Ron Hextall, 2 first round picks, Chris Simon, and a couple of other guys.

But with some of those guys who they got, the Avs later on traded them away for Rob Blake, Ray Bourque, Alex Tanguay and the goalie Patrick Roy.

All those guys for Eric Lindros.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Myth
Wow, you are really mixed up on what happened with the Rockets. Thorpe was traded to the Blazers along with a 1st round pick and a nobody for Drexler and Tracy Murray. It seemed bad at first for the Blazers (Rockets got another championship), but it set the Blazers up for a strong 2nd half of the decade. Barkley was traded to the Rockets for the 96-97 season and they had 57 wins with Barkley, Drexler, and Olajuwon. They got to the western conference finals and lost in 6 to Utah, thats not too shabby. Drexler then retired before the 99 season and Pippen then signed. Pippen, Barkley, and Olajuwon had already been passed their prime by then, so that didn't work, but the last addition wasn't even a trade.
i made it obvious that i forgot who traded who for who, only that we lost cassell, horry and thorpe. my logic here is that they won a championship with these three and they played awesome together. if you have a good mix of players, and they win a championship, you DO NOT change things. thorpe was a monster on the boards, and he was every bit as good a defender as barkley. barkley was a better scorer, but at that point, the rockets didnt need another scorer. they had olajuwon, maxwell, smith, thorpe, bullard, elie, cassell, and a few other good players. they had a great team, so why would they want to change?

i think that the reason they changed was for publicity purposes. acquire the hometown hero in drexler, get sir charles, pippen, hey, we have a dream team!!!

if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Myth
It was broke though (minus the Drexler trade). The Rockets won in 94 with those guys. They then were OFFERED Drexler and Murray for Thorpe and a pick. It was in no way dumb of the Rockets to make that trade. Heck, they won another championship in 95. Then in 96, they got swept by the Sonics in 4 games (2nd round). At that point, they were "broke" and needed fixing. They brought in Barkley who improved them to 9 more wins that season (97 season) and they made it to the conference finals and brought the Jazz to game 6. So, I don't see what the problem was trading Thorpe, because they won another championship after that. I also don't see the problem in trading Cassell and Horry for Barkley because that improved the Rockets from the last season.

And again, Pippen didn't join the Rockets until after Drexler left, but the Rockets didn't give anybody up for Pippen. He signed.

Rogue Jedi
they won a championship with cassell and horry. with barkley? they won nothing. they lost to a utah team that they would have beaten with cassell, horry and thorpe.

wuTa
So you would take Cassell and Horry over Barkley, and I doube that Cassell, Horry, and Thorpe would've made a difference, Utah still would've beat them.

Rogue Jedi
houston was a better team with those three than they were with barkley. the chemistry was better. sure, their regular season record wasnt as good. i think the second year they won, 1995, werent they like the 7th or 8th seed? anyway, they came together and played magnificently through the playoffs. and i know you are gonna bash me for this, but i'd take thorpe over barkley anyday, because they had olajuwon already to score points.

Myth
Wow. I'm not going to bash you, but just big time disagree with you. First, you seem to overlook the 96 playoffs. Cassell and Horry did not bring the Rockets a championship in that year. In fact, they didn't even get close. That is reason enough to make a change on the team, and trading them for Barkley drastically improved the Rockets. And I don't even know why you are comparing Thorpe and Barkley. First, its a dumb comparison. Second, Thorpe was gone for a couple seasons before Barkley was even brought in.

So again, how is this one of the "worst trades ever"? Adding Drexler brought another championship. Adding Barkley improved the team from the previous year. Neither were even bad trades for the Rockets, yet you think they deserve to be in the worst trades ever column? You didn't even have your facts straight. I think that is the only reason you actually thought that in the first place.

Rogue Jedi
whatever happened, whatever time it happened, whoever was traded wnehever is not the issue. my point is that they released and/or traded key players thast brought them titles.

Myth
Thats like saying the Bulls never should have let Kukoc because he played a role in the Bulls championships. Teams can't keep living in the past. You don't keep players that were not the main piece in a championship that happened a couple of years ago if you have a chance to get a big time impact player that instantly boosts your chances of being on top again.

Bandito
Worst trade depends on point of views. The worst I can think of was the Minnesota Vikings trade to get Herschel Walker. But it was the best trade for the Cowboys seeing as how they ended up with Emmit Smith, Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson, just to name a few, but more important then that was the 3 Superbowls that came soon after the trade.

Myth
How have these not been mentioned:

Kobe for Vlade!

Dirk for Trailer Taylor!

Darth Martin
Kobe for Vlade was just STUPID on Charlotte's part.

wuTa
Pippen for Polynice

TaZ#12
Kobe for Vlade, Kobe didn't prove himself, and they thought he wasn't going to be anything but an average player, and Vlade was doing very good at that time. As much a Kobe fan I am he wasn't proving then.

Myth
Well, he was 17 and only a potential guy at the time. 17 year olds aren't expected to prove themselves immediately in the NBA.

TaZ#12
No, but I think THEN, it was a good trade, later on, hell no!

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Myth
Thats like saying the Bulls never should have let Kukoc because he played a role in the Bulls championships. Teams can't keep living in the past. You don't keep players that were not the main piece in a championship that happened a couple of years ago if you have a chance to get a big time impact player that instantly boosts your chances of being on top again.
i'll admit that i can see your point there.

TaZ#12
Yeah.

Rogue Jedi
for the record, that herschel walker trade was indeed terrible.

TaZ#12
Sorry, I don't think I know that one, lol.

Rogue Jedi
oh, it was a disaster.

TaZ#12
Lol.

Darth Martin
Yeah, the Herchel Walker trade could be called the worst. Basically, they traded a whole team for him. lol

TaZ#12
lol.

Rogue Jedi
Yeah, the Herchel Walker trade could be called the worst. Basically, they traded a whole team for him. lol
yeah, remember that? i was like "dayum, herschel better play his cleats off." ....needless to say he didnt.

TaZ#12
laughing

alic88
Well I suppose this isn't a trade but what about the Texans signing Mario Williams instead of Bush or Young.

TaZ#12
Very good point alic88.

IceMan33
Babe Ruth WAS NOT TRADED!! HE WAS SOLD FROM THE BOSTON RED SOX AND THE YANKEES BOUGHT HIM...can ne one tell me wut the red sox got for ruth if he was traded? o yea thats rite, there was no trade! the only thing they got was a curse!

get ur history rite

IceMan33
this season the Edmonton Oilers traded Assistant Captain Ryan Smyth to the New York Islanders for Forwards Robert Nillson and Robert Omarra and a 2007 1st round draft pick.

in my opinion, the Oilder front office betrayed Smyth, his dream growing up was to b an Oiler for life. thats the only place he ever wanted to play and he gave a lot to the city of Edmonton...im a huge Flames fan so naturally hate the Oilers, but i always thought Smyth was a good player and a good ambassador for the game.

the Peter Forseburg trade was also bad...for the Flyers not the Preds!

WrathfulDwarf
Shaq trade to Miami

Setting aside my total dislike for the Lakers....this IS the worst trade EVER done.

forumcrew
falcons traded brett favre. thats #1 for me falcons also traded the draft spot that landed LT in SD.

Myth
Originally posted by IceMan33
Babe Ruth WAS NOT TRADED!! HE WAS SOLD FROM THE BOSTON RED SOX AND THE YANKEES BOUGHT HIM...can ne one tell me wut the red sox got for ruth if he was traded? o yea thats rite, there was no trade! the only thing they got was a curse!

get ur history rite

Technically buying something is trading something for money. Even in the NBA, people have been traded for "cash" or "cash considerations".

forumcrew
yea like the redskins pretty much traded archuletta for money, yea they got a 6th round pick, but mostly they got the bears to take his contract and thats what mattered.

IceMan33
u may be rite speaking in TODAYS terms, but in the nineteen teens it was something totally different. so he was SOLD not traded, also the Yankees "bought out" the rest of his contract, and then paid Ruth on top of that. that doesnt sound like a trade to me.

im a huge Yankee fan, i think i may kno wut im talking about

TaZ#12
Traded, sold, same thing.

forumcrew
u may be rite speaking in TODAYS terms, but in the nineteen teens it was something totally different. so he was SOLD not traded, also the Yankees "bought out" the rest of his contract, and then paid Ruth on top of that. that doesnt sound like a trade to me.

im a huge Yankee fan, i think i may kno wut im talking about

everyones point is you can say traded or sold. I could give you something and you give me money, if i wanna say I traded you the object for cash that would be perfectly logical. So trade/sold is same difference.

TaZ#12
Exactly.

IceMan33
On Nov. 16, 2003 the San Jose Shark traded Miikka Kiprusoff to the Calgary Flames for a 2nd round draft pick in 2005.

Kiprusoff is now one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL

The_Mayor
Hockey makes trades?????

Just kidding.

chithappens
Officially the worst trade ever:Randy Moss to Pats for 4th rounder (that's all)

The_Mayor
One of the very, very many stupid trades/steals.

DanZeke25

get ur history rite

Get your spelling right.

teampac08
Shaq to Miami. We shouldve demanded Wade in that trade, and even though it's most likely that we wouldnt have gotten him I feel that we didnt try hard enough. Stupid Shaq, I believe we couldve gotten something like JO and Artest from the Pacers at the time but Shaq was able to choose his destination. Imagine that right now? Kobe + JO + Artest= dynasty. Oh how fun it is to dream..

Dr. Strangelove
On Nov. 16, 2003 the San Jose Shark traded Miikka Kiprusoff to the Calgary Flames for a 2nd round draft pick in 2005.

Kiprusoff is now one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL

Probably one of the weirdest turnarounds ever. I watched this dude when he was the back up to Geni and he was nothing but a mediocre back up goaltender who I thought at the time would be out of the NHL in two to three years. Then all of a sudden he turns into freaking Patrick Roy. He must've took steroids or something.

Worst trade IMO is the Giants sending Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, Boof Bonser for A.J. Pierzynski. I really can't take anyone seriously who says Sabian is a good GM after this. Easily one of the worst trades ever in any sport.

vandalworks
bryant for divac? divac was a decent player.... but look what the then charlotte hornets could have had?

Shadow_King
On August 9, 1988 Gretzky was traded with Marty McSorley and Mike Krushelnyski by the Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, $15-million cash, and the Kings' first-round draft picks in 1989, 1991 and 1993. Would have to be the worst trade ever.

Bicnarok
brick laying

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.