Lucifer - Satan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kaldorei
Matthew 13:38-39; I Peter 5:8; Revelation 9:11; 12:9-10 states following:

I got to think. Is this a sign that Lucifer is Satan, or is my source of information false?

Regret
It is the commonly held belief by most Biblical religions.

Dreampanther
You can't blame him for lack of ambition:

Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav'n.

Paradise Lost: Book I. (1667)
John Milton

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~rbear/lost/pl1.html

King Kandy
The second quote refers to a babylonian king. This has been PROVEN a mistranslation. I have no clue about the other two.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by King Kandy
I have no clue

You should get that put on a tee shirt.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Kaldorei
I got to think. Is this a sign that Lucifer is Satan, or is my source of information false?

Lucifer is older than the bible. Its interpretation in the bible is a consequence of many changes and much of its original meaning was lost. Other scriptures(like the gnostics) also have a different view of Lucifer.

Some things to consider to understand what Lucifer originally was is ;Lucifer means 'lightbearer' or 'lightbringer' which in greek translates as phosphorous that is th greek name of Venus. So Venus is associated to Lucifer. In the greek mythology 'lightbringer' is also associated Prometeus which was the titan who brought the fire from Olympus to humanity. Prometeus is the bringer of the light.

The words messiah and christos mean 'the anointed' is used to describe someone who brings enlightment to humanity.

Phoenix*Rising
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Some things to consider to understand what Lucifer originally was is ;Lucifer means 'lightbearer' or 'lightbringer' which in greek translates as phosphorous that is th greek name of Venus. So Venus is associated to Lucifer. In the greek mythology 'lightbringer' is also associated Prometeus which was the titan who brought the fire from Olympus to humanity. Prometeus is the bringer of the light.

The words messiah and christos mean 'the anointed' is used to describe someone who brings enlightment to humanity. Jesus and lucifer seem to be one then. They cannot be brothers since there is only ONE 'bright and morning star."

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Phoenix*Rising
Jesus and lucifer seem to be one then. They cannot be brothers since there is only ONE 'bright and morning star."

And that would be the planet Venus.

Phoenix*Rising
Yes

Atlantis001

Phoenix*Rising
Originally posted by Kaldorei
Matthew 13:38-39; I Peter 5:8; Revelation 9:11; 12:9-10 states following:

I got to think. Is this a sign that Lucifer is Satan, or is my source of information false? It is false.

Tengu
well Lucifer was his angelic name if im correct, and seeing as he was no longer legit after he fell, he might have been given another name, or thats the only answer i can give at least.

Nellinator
Lucifer is not a word used in the Bible. The being referred to as Lucifer in some errant English translations is indeed Satan. Time to close the thread.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Tengu
well Lucifer was his angelic name if im correct, and seeing as he was no longer legit after he fell, he might have been given another name, or thats the only answer i can give at least.

Originally posted by Nellinator
Lucifer is not a word used in the Bible. The being referred to as Lucifer in some errant English translations is indeed Satan. Time to close the thread.

There is indirect references which points to a relation between Lucifer and Satan. Satan is identified with a serpent in the Genesis for example, and the serpent is used as a symbol of life in the ancient religions. Venus is also a symbol of Life.

Anyway I think there is a easier way to answer those questions. In the ancient judaic cults there was two interpretations of what today is know as the devil. Satan and Lucifer are what is know as demiurge.

In one interpretation this demiurge is related with the creation of the material world. In other interpretations because the material world form some type of opposition with the divine world, some people started to associate them with evil and good respectively. Since the demiurge represented the material world those people associated evil to him.

There is reference to those interpretations in the Nag Hammadi.

The big EH
if there is a devil then he has good in him, every being has the capacity for good and evil, and an example of my man's goodness (the devil) is that he lets you exist, my saying is "hell is still existence"

Kaldorei
Originally posted by Phoenix*Rising
It is false.

Can you expound that statement? confused

G2G-9
>_<

((The_Anomaly))
Lucifer becoming Satan isn't Canon as it is only filler and does not appear in the original Manga. no expression

The big EH
lol, are you talking about manga as in a japanese eek! thats awesome! laughing

chithappens
Ok, so Beelzebub is...? I just started reading Paradise Lost for class today. Damn Milton and his 20 lines sentences!

Nellinator
Beelzebub is another name for Satan.

chithappens
Lucifer different also?

Nellinator
Lucifer is not in the Bible, it is an errant English translation.

siriuswriter
As I know it... and this was stated on the previous page, chithappens, perhaps you should read before you should post,

Lucifer was his angelic name, but he was an angel who was created with free will... He gathered an army and tried to take over heaven. He and those who helped him were banished to hell, and his name became Satan. There are other names for him, such as Beelzebub and the devil.

chithappens
I mean in Paradise Lost. Sorry, didn't say that. I'm having a really hard time reading Milton

Nellinator
In Paradise Lost, yes Lucifer is equivalent to Satan.

123KID
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09410a.htm

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Diamond Kisses
or is my source of information false?

Well, your source is the Bible.

So yes.

Deja~vu
I pick Lucifer. I sorta look like him. big grin

Bicnarok

123KID
i like the Old English talk myself

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.