Kryptonian or Kryptonese?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kryptonian57
It appears to me that there is a divide in comics over the language of Krypton. This came to me after reading the recent Action Comics Annual where they refer to the language as Kryptonese, i have read it elsewhere as well, however, i have always thought that it was kryptonian, which in my opinion sounds a whole lot better. To me kryptonese sounds really cheesy and bad. Plus, why don't they actually put some effort into the whole affair and create a new language a la Tolkein in the Lord of the Rings rather then some cruddy symbols.

So...Kryptonian or Kryptonese?

((The_Anomaly))
A Kryptonian is a person who is from Krypton. Kryptonese is the language that they speak.

Kryptonian57
I'm pretty sure that hasn't always been the case. Kryptonese is some crap that only certain writers use when talking about the language of Krypton, but i'm sure others use kryptonian. Besides how lame is kryptonese. Why do these guys always have to overthink these things. Americans don't speak Americanese (and if you are going to protest that they speak english you are sadly mistaken) Italians don't speak italianese, the the Germans don't speak Germanese....i could go on.

Juntai
What language to people in Japan speak?

§uffer§noopy
the "own" part of Kryptonian makes it sound better than the Japanese.

Kryptonian57
But that is precisely my point...only a select few countries speak a language that we label with the suffix -ese. So why pick it?! Why choose the few over the many?? It is just writers trying to have even more things that they can assign to Superman, its like they need new words for every little thing that is Superman related. They lose substance when they do that imo. Its like having the whole Superman family...supercat, superhorse and superfreakinwilderbeast. Obviously the latter isn't real but i think it expresses my point well enough. It is just...so...sad, why do comics do this to themselves!!! Ultimately it just sounds so goddam nerdy.

booper
so what if people want to use Kryptonese or kryptonian we're all talking about the same thing. its like soda or pop. come on.

Dgw2007
i just looked it up and Kryptonian Language is the Kryptonese is the transliteration here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptonese

Captain REX
I believe that 'Kryptonian' is the title for their language, though others still label it 'Kryptonese.'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.