Are songs timeless?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jim Colyer
Writers like to think their songs are timeless, but is there such a thing? I went to Neil Sedaka's site. "Laughter In The Rain" was referred to as timeless. The song reminds me of driving through Chicago in November, 1974, when Neil broke out after a decade of the British dominating radio. Nothing timeless about that! Positive thinking is the theme which, in a human context, can be called timeless. Shakespearean themes are thought of as timeless although his language is obviously not. Dinosaurs ruled 160 million years and passed away. The sun will expend its energy, and the universe will die. Can 3 minute songs be eternal? The ones most closely approaching timelessness are Christmas songs because Christmas returns annually and because no new, good Christmas songs have appeared in the last 50 years. "Silent Night" and "White Christmas" become relevant each December.

The Core
K..reading a little bit too far into this. "Timeless", to me, is a song that's enjoyable now as much as it was then, and still holds important lyrical and musical relevance.

Darth Revan
Yeah... Timeless, in terms of music, doesn't mean existing changlessly over the epochs, it means continually relevent throughout human history. For example, generally speaking, the Bach cello suites will evoke the same thoughts as they did 300 years ago.

Are you the same guy who posted something a long time ago about the perceived overuse of the word "virtuoso"?

souvinir
i only think certain songs are "timeless" but even then its only "timeless" to some people..

dirkdirden
Only good songs are timeless. All the crap that fills the airwaves today is not timeless it's crap now and will be forgotten in a few months.

Blue_Hefner
The songs that come out now aren't timeless, but a lot that came out before the 21st century are.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
The songs that come out now aren't timeless, but a lot that came out before the 21st century are.

Bit of a silly thing to say.

-AC

RedAlertv2
The songs that come out now aren't timeless, but a lot that came out before the 21st century are. How could you possibly judge whether a song is timeless or not if it was made recently?

Arctic
People live in the past and don't give new bands a chance. Thats why. They can't get over how good they think bands like Led Zeppelin and others were....bag

The Core
Well, you honestly can't predict what songs will be timeless. Unless you've got a Delorean, and a wacky ass physicist for a neighbor.

I, personally give a lot of bands a chance, but their music has to set themselves apart from every other band to have a chance a song that could stand the test of time, IMO.

masterkit
Originally posted by The Core
Well, you honestly can't predict what songs will be timeless. Unless you've got a Delorean, and a wacky ass physicist for a neighbor.

I, personally give a lot of bands a chance, but their music has to set themselves apart from every other band to have a chance a song that could stand the test of time, IMO. laughing out loud

Victor Von Doom
How are we defining timeless?

Enduring?

I think of it as something that is not period-specific; and as a result, no massive amount of time needs to pass to make that judgment.

I think usually it will be instrumental music that fits the description.

Leper_Messiah
Timeless to me is creating a song that sticks to someone closely for the rest of their life and never gets old even until the day they die. Isn't that what true musicians attempt to do even if they want to change the world with it?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Leper_Messiah
Timeless to me is creating a song that sticks to someone closely for the rest of their life and never gets old even until the day they die. Isn't that what true musicians attempt to do even if they want to change the world with it?

That's what I suspected. Timeless meaning 'lasting'.

I don't think that's what the thread-starter was getting at.

The Core
I'm still kind of stuck on the photo of ABBA in a thread for "timeless" music. Don't get me wrong, I love ABBA, as well as the A-Teens, but they're kind of dated...hence the A-Teens making their music "cool" again.

...for all 1 year.

Blue_Hefner
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
How could you possibly judge whether a song is timeless or not if it was made recently?

Because I get annoyed by new songs in about a month since they're all about the same thing. There's no innovation in any of it.

Alpha Centauri
Because I get annoyed by new songs in about a month since they're all about the same thing. There's no innovation in any of it.

That would be a decent argument if it had an element of truth.

-AC

EPIIIBITES
Don't quite get the question...and why it's so scientific. When people say a song is timeless, I doubt they're thinking about the end of the universe and such.

They're basically just saying it'll probably appeal to a considerable portion of the general public's taste (or at least continue to be recognized) over the generations.

That could mean Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"...the Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody"...The Beatles' "Twist and Shout"...or Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

And usually these songs are very much embedded in popular culture... and that perpetuates a long-lasting popularity and gives generations down the road a chance to experience them.

Scientifically...all songs are timeless I guess...as are spoken words you'd think.

DeepPink
Originally posted by Arctic
People live in the past and don't give new bands a chance. Thats why. They can't get over how good they think bands like Led Zeppelin and others were....bag

Nah, I disagree. I mean, I like Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, The Clash, The Smiths, a lot of 'old' music really, but it doesn't affect my ability to appreciate new music. I still enjoy Gary Jules, The Gossip, The Libertines, etc.

As for music being 'timeless' I think it really depends on the person and the song. I consider 'Dragostea din tei' by O-zone to be timeless because of the memories I associate it with. Then again if were defining 'timeless' in terms of relevance within society then there are definitely timeless songs that are just as important now as they were when they were released, whether that was before the 21st century or not.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.