Stardust

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DigiMark007
I'm guessing this will receive a lot of "Wha?" looks from you guys, but here goes...

Stardust. A fantasy comic/novel from Neil Gaiman. Good story. Good artwork. It's not quite a comic, but closer to comics than novels. Some pages will have just text and a fancy border, others, a few leaves, flowers, etc. And some will be 2-page spread of artwork. Depends on the situation.

Anyway, it's really cool. Not as dark as most of Gaiman's stuff, but still quality.

And it's getting made into a movie. I think.

Slated for July, I saw a movie called "Stardust" being plugged, and it had a girl on a unicorn (which is part of the tale). Either it's happening, or Gaiman's about to get a crapload of money from the lawsuit.

So....anyone else excited about this but me? It comes out the same day as the Simpsons Movie.

DigiMark007
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/

But blah. Gaiman's not doing anything with the screenplay. His style is key. If they lose it, it'll become the next trite fantasy film attempting to bank off of Narnia/LotR/HP/etc. fame.

But if they capture it, they have something more.

pr1983
looks interesting... i only know vaguely of stardust due to a friend of mine being a huge gaiman fan, so i guess i'll be hearing more about it soon enough...

i never seem to have the time to read gaiman unfortunately... sad

DigiMark007
Yeah, Gaiman = Sweet. Sandman is easily his best, and Stardust isn't at that level, but I have yet to read something by him that I don't like.

HigH ScholaR
eh??

i thought this thread was about the herald stardust...........and no haven't read the link, can't be bothered reall, maybe tommorow big grin

SnakeEyes
I saw this book at the library and picked it up, due to my liking of Gaiman.

Then, when I got home, I researched it and found out it was gonna be a movie.

I'll read the book soon and let you guys know what I think/whether or not I think it'll make a good movie.

I've got high hopes!

Loot

pr1983
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Yeah, Gaiman = Sweet. Sandman is easily his best, and Stardust isn't at that level, but I have yet to read something by him that I don't like.

i'll have to read up so...

DigiMark007
Only a few weeks till release now.

big grin

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Gaiman's great. I have Stardust, its very good. Don't know how it'll translate on the big screen. It should be good though.

unknowable
This is one smooth character.

ragesRemorse
The trailer for this movie looks almost as bad as the trailer for eragon.

robert deniro as a pirate? confused

DigiMark007
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
The trailer for this movie looks almost as bad as the trailer for eragon.

robert deniro as a pirate? confused

Not just any pirate. Captain Shakespeare!

H. S. 6
DeNiro? In a fantasy?

I'm in.

Supreme being
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I'm guessing this will receive a lot of "Wha?" looks from you guys, but here goes...

Stardust. A fantasy comic/novel from Neil Gaiman. Good story. Good artwork. It's not quite a comic, but closer to comics than novels. Some pages will have just text and a fancy border, others, a few leaves, flowers, etc. And some will be 2-page spread of artwork. Depends on the situation.

Anyway, it's really cool. Not as dark as most of Gaiman's stuff, but still quality.

And it's getting made into a movie. I think.

Slated for July, I saw a movie called "Stardust" being plugged, and it had a girl on a unicorn (which is part of the tale). Either it's happening, or Gaiman's about to get a crapload of money from the lawsuit.

So....anyone else excited about this but me? It comes out the same day as the Simpsons Movie.

Great book but the film doesnt look promising i will however be checking it out in hopes it can deliever. Also got the The Golden Compass coming out in december whats hollywood doing.

edwinian

FlappingMangera
After seeing the trailer this weekend i'm really looking forward to this. Gaiman is great and Dinero could make this film for me

edwinian
Originally posted by FlappingMangera
After seeing the trailer this weekend i'm really looking forward to this. Gaiman is great and Dinero could make this film for me

Agreed. Gaiman is the man, the story is great. Plus you've got DeNiro enough said, and the Sienna Miller AND Michelle Pfieffer.

Ain't It Cool News gave it positive reviews, which is always a great sign.

Are you a Ricky Gervais fan? He's in it too, plus I've heard positive rumblings about this Charlie Cox guy. Anyone else know about him?

DigiMark007
Haha.

Stardust while drunk is thumb up

...sober? I dunno. But my friend liked it so I guess it's good either way.

Captain REX
I thought it was remarkably well done. Actors all did a quality job in their roles, had plenty of humor amongst the darker moments, lots and lots of eye candy, etc.

I felt it stood out from the "fantasy trite" that Digi expressed worries about earlier in that it was simpler to follow, didn't get overly complicated by introducing things that people couldn't really grasp, while at the same time having a well-developed story.

And just so you all know, I'm a terrible movie critic.

Juntai
I thought it was great.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
What a fantastic movie! I loved it! It was such a surprise, and it was wonderfully imagined. I can see how its 'feel' gets compared to 'The Princess Bride'. If you haven't seen it, do so!

ragesRemorse
movie fell flat for me

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
What a fantastic movie! I loved it! It was such a surprise, and it was wonderfully imagined. I can see how its 'feel' gets compared to 'The Princess Bride'. If you haven't seen it, do so!

thumb up

I was kinda drunk when I saw it, but this seems an apt description.

wannabe
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I had exactly the same feelings and thoughts about it! smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.