American Indians

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soleran
Losers in a war?

smoker4
Billy 2 Rivers says "No"
http://www.nps.gov/archive/badl/photos/3374a.jpg

Andrew McLeod
I'm an American Indian..full blooded. And I don't think so. Just the result of a lot of dark history. But I do think things could be a lot better than they are now...at least in Canada. Canada gets a lowered rating from the UN because of their treatment of aboriginals.

grey fox
I'd say that what America did was unjust to it's natives. But then my country DID near enough write the book about stealing other peoples countries and killing it's original occupants.

Evil Dead
Originally posted by Soleran
Losers in a war?

yes.

not so much war as genocide, ethnic cleansing. Hitler killed 3 million jews in germany's holocaust..........childs play compared to what Europeans did to Americans.

Marxman
It was ethnic cleansing and genocide at first then turned into ethnic corralling. Just as bad but I think the government officials at the time thought "history would vindicate them". stick out tongue

Evil Dead
well........they "corralled" the few survivors after a few hundred years of genocide..........those who were lucky enough to survive those centuries were moved to nice little reservations away from their homes while their children were taken from them and taught to be civilized (white).

Soleran
Winners and losers, history is full of them. Winners write history loseres obviosly not, is it lucky Indians survived?

Andrew McLeod
A lot was lost. Our languages are dying and our culture is dwindling away. I almost feel ashamed for moving to NYC and melting into the crowd.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Evil Dead
yes.

not so much war as genocide, ethnic cleansing. Hitler killed 3 million jews in germany's holocaust..........childs play compared to what Europeans did to Americans.

Indeed. A genocide which is never really spoken about. And when it is, it is deluted and almost justified.

Kinneary
Almost justifed? Where?

lord xyz
Originally posted by grey fox
I'd say that what America did was unjust to it's natives. But then my country DID near enough write the book about stealing other peoples countries and killing it's original occupants. Yeah but we only sent out the crazy ones to **** up the world. ermm

AngryManatee
Hey now, they're Native Americans, not indians

Kinneary
They're no more native than you, me, or anyone else born in this country. I refuse to say native american.

lil bitchiness
Actually they are far more Native than you, considering that your history goes back barely 600 years, while their history on the land has been 10 000 years.

Furthermore, your ansestors stole the land of NATIVE Americans by lying and murdering.
You are on their land. You can call yourself ''native'' as much as you like, you are not so.

BackFire
Just eat turkey and forget, there's a reason turkey makes you sleepy.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Kinneary
They're no more native than you, me, or anyone else born in this country. I refuse to say native american.

Why such a strong reaction to the "native" part of native American? Perhaps youl would like "Original Americans" better?

I always just attributed that to the large numbers of sleeping pills I use during the cooking process.

Evil Dead
to hell with all the "native" american crap.........it's Indians. people are too PC. Indians didn't call themselves native americans, hell.....they didn't even call the land america.

my mother is 7/8 Indian......I'm just under 1/2.......and we all say Indian. too many PC people around here.

AngryManatee
too many PC people around here.

Well it is an online forum

HAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahaha

Imperial_Samura
to hell with all the "native" american crap.........it's Indians. people are too PC. Indians didn't call themselves native americans, hell.....they didn't even call the land america.

my mother is 7/8 Indian......I'm just under 1/2.......and we all say Indian. too many PC people around here.

Although "Indians" was a name given based upon the misconception of an explorer. I have no problem with Indian, nor Native American - people can call themselves what they want. But as far as official terms go Native American seems slightly more logical then Indian, which is just why I wondered about those who, in any nation, get all cagey about how people refer to the original inhabitants of their country - the:

"I refuse to consider them native. They are no more native then we, they have just been here longer."

It has happened in Australia, mainly back when their was talk of land rights and people starting thinking "Oh no, if we so much as even suggest they are more native then us, why, we'll be suggesting they have a greater claim to our land!" Which of course was silly, since land rights were poorly understood by many.

Kinneary
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Actually they are far more Native than you, considering that your history goes back barely 600 years, while their history on the land has been 10 000 years.
Actually, my history in the states goes back 20 years. My family's history goes back about 80. Regardless, I was born there, which makes me a native american, the same as any indians walking around.

No, my ancestors came over here in 1930 and settled in New York from Ireland. My ancestors didn't steal anything from anyone. Sorry, I guess you're forgetting that not all white people are from the same place.

I'm on Japanese land. And every inch of America that I have been on is American land, not indian. I'm just as native as anyone else born there, regardless of what some people like to think.

RedAlertv2
My opinion on the matter is that yeah, I think its a dark spot on history, but at the same time, Im not gonna get up and move to Europe. Its hard to feel morally attached to history that occured that long ago.

Rogue Jedi
did you know that of all the races on earth, american indians have the shortest penises? its a fact.

AngryManatee
Not to mention it's not that it's PC to call them Native Americans. It's logical since they aren't from India. Columbus called them Indian because he thought he was in India.

Evil Dead
actually it is. Indian and Native American are both terms you made up to call them......they never called themselves either one. As a matter of fact, they never called their land india or america. please......point out your logic.

The Libertine
They like Whisky

Soleran
Originally posted by The Libertine
They like Whisky

!

The Libertine
Firewater good! According to many films I watched as a kid!!!

Rogue Jedi
me smokum wacky weed.

Evil Dead
Originally posted by The Libertine
They like Whisky

that is a horrible stereotype. unfortunately it's true.

Robtard
Furthermore, your ansestors stole the land of NATIVE Americans by lying and murdering.
You are on their land. You can call yourself ''native'' as much as you like, you are not so.

LOL... That's a nice blanket accusation; as noted, not all "white" people come from the same place and have the same background.

As far as being "Native American", I hate to break it to you, but anyone born in "America" would be a native.

As far as land belonging to anybody; with the exception of Africa where our earliest ancestors walked out of, everywhere else was migrated too. So the only truly "native" place anyone has is Africa.

You're right though, American Indians did get a seriously raw deal from the American Government; there were near genocidal killings and mass evictions. But in reality, this has happened all over the planet on every continent at some point in time.

heru
yes.

Not when you add South America to the equation. Francisco Pizarro and the Incas, Cortes and the Aztecs and Columbus in the Caribbean. The number of Natives that were killed by those three men far exceeds what Hitler did.

Evil Dead
I just said that.......and you quoted me......and retorted with an affirmation of my post.

I don't get it?........do you not know what Hitler killing 3 million jews is childs play compared to the number of Indians the Europeans killed means?

do you not know what, "childs play" means? was that the source of your confusion?

heru
I just said that.......and you quoted me......and retorted with an affirmation of my post.

I don't get it?........do you not know what Hitler killing 3 million jews is childs play compared to the number of Indians the Europeans killed means?

do you not know what, "childs play" means? was that the source of your confusion?

Sorry about that i miss read it.

botankus
While we're on the subject, I'd like to propose we change the names of the Minnesota Vikings to the Minnesota Human Beings, the New England Patriots to the New England Human Beings, and the Tennessee Titans to the Tennessee Human Beings.

Capt_Fantastic

So, should everyone go back to their own corner?

I'm barely a "native". I'm only 2nd generation. My father was the first generation born in this country. But I find it hard to believe that the people who live here now should be held accountable for the actions of people, however genetically related, who have been dead for hundreds of years.

Are the Jews sorry for Israel? Are the African Americans ready to go back to the mother land and live in buffalo hide tents? Both of these things were acheived through massive amounts of death and slavery, but I doubt they're ready to go back to the "good ole days".

AngryManatee
actually it is. Indian and Native American are both terms you made up to call them......they never called themselves either one. As a matter of fact, they never called their land india or america. please......point out your logic.

I never said that they called themselves native americans, nor did I say that they called their land India or America. Would you prefer natives instead? I would call them by their tribal names but I don't know the names of all the tribes. Only the big ones really.

I guess it's logical in a sense that they are from America (as we call it), so it would be the logical thing for us to call them Native Americans

Now logic me this, you sig says Evil Dead on it and has a pic of Jack Nicholson instead of Bruce Campbell. Makes no sense...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Now logic me this, you sig says Evil Dead on it and has a pic of Jack Nicholson instead of Bruce Campbell. Makes no sense...

What does this have to do with anything at all? confused

The Libertine
that is a horrible stereotype. unfortunately it's true.

I also like Whisky and would also trade beads for it.

Ushgarak
What's with this pedanticism over the use of the word 'native'? Everyone knows what it means in that context- native as in indigenous as OPPOSED to those who came in via European colonisation.

Trying to say "Oh, I am just as native as they are" is spectacularly missing the point behind the use of the term.

WrathfulDwarf
People try to use this term for a change:

"Indigenous Peoples of the Americas" (i.e. Natives of the Americas)

Evil Dead
because.........that's my s/n.......why does rogue jedi, shaky, ushgarak, etc. have their screen names on their sig?

that was just a really stupid question......

AngryManatee
because.........that's my s/n.......why does rogue jedi, shaky, ushgarak, etc. have their screen names on their sig?

that was just a really stupid question......

Thank you for seeing my side of the arguement Happy Dance

Evil Dead
that made absolutely no sense.

Tangible God
Well, his sig is appropriate, seems to match up to him quite nicely.

AngryManatee
lol it's apparent my sarcasm went unnoticed. But I'm ok with laughing by myself at things like that. Carry on. Happy Dance

Evil Dead
what sarcasm? what were you trying to relay? perhaps plain English would suit you better.........

Tangible God
Originally posted by AngryManatee
lol it's apparent my sarcasm went unnoticed. But I'm ok with laughing by myself at things like that. Carry on. Happy Dance Well it was rather out of nowhere.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.