Base strength levels of Class 100 Characters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
Hey Digi, can you leave this open even though it's not a versus thread per say, it is very relevant to versus debates.

The following characters are all class 100, but their strength levels can actually differ by huge amounts. I've noticed in versus threads that people make a big deal about small strength differences (i.e. Spiderman has big advantage because he's a class 15 while Captain America lifts many tons less....yet we don't make a big deal when one class 100 lifts 1,000,000,000 tons while the other class 100 lifts 100 tons)

Can we get a consensus on the BASE level strength of the following characters? Just give a estimate of what you think is the base level strength (based on average showings, not a few high feats or a few low feats)

Superman

Thor

Hulk

Iron Man

Colossus

masterbruce
Just to explain why I made this post

I'm just astounded by how often one class 100 (ie Hulk - base level of at least 1,000,000 tons) who is 10,000x stronger than another class 100 (ie Colossus - base level of about 100 tons) would have a tough time ending the fight in less than a second

Imagine Spiderman fighting someone he was stronger than by 10,000x (meaning the guy could lift only 4 POUNDS!!!!) nobody would think that guy would have a chance...yet when a class 100 is 10,000x stronger than another class 100, nobody bats an eye.

Why is that?

In effect, Hulk should beat Colossus with the same ease that Spiderman would have against a man who could lift max 4 friggin pounds!!!! Meaning Hulk should be able to flick Colossus with his pinky.

olympian
Cl in what, strength?

Neither IM and/or Colossus fit in that level.

endrict
And he can finger flick Colossus when he is mad.
Clam hulk its about the same..

grey fox
Superman - Unknown , possibly around 25,000 tons as he lifted a 5000 ton tanker easily. This can amped with a sun-dip or through rage

Thor - I'd say around 150 ton's maybe more

Hulk - 100 tons but rises reasonably quickly with rage

Iron Man - Class 80-90

Colossus - 120 tons.

masterbruce
Originally posted by grey fox
Superman - Unknown , possibly around 25,000 tons as he lifted a 5000 ton tanker easily. This can amped with a sun-dip or through rage

Thor - I'd say around 150 ton's maybe more

Hulk - 100 tons but rises reasonably quickly with rage

Iron Man - Class 80-90

Colossus - 120 tons.

So you're saying Superman is 100x stronger than Thor?

btw, Souja boy said THor lifted weight as much as planet earth...that would be over 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons!!!

Jyppe
I actually think that lots of class 100 people can extert themselves from the base level at least a bit. Adrealine, energy, rage, whatever would help them to grow in strenght.

Juntai
It's give or take with all those high level guys.
But I agree Superman is typically written as by far the most physically overbearing character.

guy222
Originally posted by masterbruce
Hey Digi, can you leave this open even though it's not a versus thread per say, it is very relevant to versus debates.

The following characters are all class 100, but their strength levels can actually differ by huge amounts. I've noticed in versus threads that people make a big deal about small strength differences (i.e. Spiderman has big advantage because he's a class 15 while Captain America lifts many tons less....yet we don't make a big deal when one class 100 lifts 1,000,000,000 tons while the other class 100 lifts 100 tons)

Can we get a consensus on the BASE level strength of the following characters? Just give a estimate of what you think is the base level strength (based on average showings, not a few high feats or a few low feats)

Superman

Thor

Hulk

Iron Man

Colossus

Superman

Thor=Belt of Strength

Hulk=There is no end to his infinite rage

Iron Man

Colossus

Soujaboy
So you're saying Superman is 100x stronger than Thor?

btw, Souja boy said THor lifted weight as much as planet earth...that would be over 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons!!!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

masterbruce
Originally posted by Soujaboy
roll eyes (sarcastic)

what would you say is Thor's base level strength, and also Hulks.

boriquaking55
Thor lifted Jormungadr (midgard serpent) which probably weighed untold millions of tons.

Then he has trouble with Juggernaut - gotta love inconsistencies in comics

masterbruce
Originally posted by boriquaking55
Thor lifted Jormungadr (midgard serpent) which probably weighed untold millions of tons.

no not untold millions

more like untold quintillions of tons

but then Thor regularly has trouble with guys who are 1/100,000,000,000,000,000,000th the strength he is

Priest
Originally posted by boriquaking55

juggy has enancements from a god that is more powerful than Odin. how is that inconsistent?

Priest
no not untold millions

more like untold quintillions of tons

but then Thor regularly has trouble with guys who are 1/100,000,000,000,000,000,000th the strength he is
its called comics, if thor was written to his stongest all the time, wouldent the comic be boring?

masterbruce
Originally posted by Priest
juggy has enancements from a god that is more powerful than Odin. how is that inconsistent?

its inconsistent because Juggernaut has been consistently shown to have strength level of 100 tons (at max 200 tons)

Thor, if you accept his feats, can be said to have base level strength of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons

if you accept the two above facts, then it is quite inconsistent as Thor would have more power in his pinky than Juggernaut in his entire body

masterbruce
its called comics, if thor was written to his stongest all the time, wouldent the comic be boring?

right, so you agree it is wildly inconsistent to make a guy who lifts over 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons one day struggle against a guy who lifts at max 1000 tons the next day

If Spiderman one day had trouble fighting a 5 yr old, wouldn't you be outraged at the inconsistency?

xmeat
right, so you agree it is wildly inconsistent to make a guy who lifts over 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons one day struggle against a guy who lifts at max 1000 tons the next day

If Spiderman one day had trouble fighting a 5 yr old, wouldn't you be outraged at the inconsistency? its just like hulk who struggles against spidey than is strong enough to beat onslaught.

Dinalfos
Base strength is a plot device. Then again, the lack of a true base strength is also a plot device. All that really matter is that one character is stronger than another. Then again, who cares.

Batman-Prime
Don't forget, the Midgar Serpent wights as much as the world, but then again, when the Midgar Serpent was "invented" the World was much smaller, or the people though it is much smaller, and it was flat wink. Anyway, Thor is Class 100 IIRC from the Handbooks and RPG books, while Hulk starts at Class 100 and reaches his max enraged Str at Class 500, or Shift Z.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
Don't forget, the Midgar Serpent wights as much as the world, but then again, when the Midgar Serpent was "invented" the World was much smaller, or the people though it is much smaller, and it was flat wink.

no expression

The norse said the Jormungandr encircled the world not that it had the same mass.

TricksterPriest
But didn't the comics say he was equal to a planet in mass? Besides, I know that the myths say one thing, but the on-panel statements in the comics are the standard. Obviously Marvel's Asgard writers don't read mythology very well. stick out tongue

hunbu04
why is colossus name even in the same thread with superman,thor ,and hulk. colossus is not even a true class 100. he got no class 100 level feats to prove it and he have not defeated 5 top tier level characters. he is just like the thing against top tier they put up a good fight which is still pis and end up loosing in the end.

Hercules
I would term a "base level" as a weight that is well within your limits, something you would use to work out with in the gym.

Example someone can bench say 200lbs for say 10 reps then it gets hard, 200lbs is there base level.

However their one rep max is lets say 270lbs, this is them pushing it to the limit.

70lbs doesn't sound much but next time your in the gym add say just 20lbs to the wieght you usually bench and feel the difference.

And with Superhumans were talking in tons not lbs, then you add in other factors like high stress levels, anger etc etc.

There are plenty of stories of say 100lb women suddenly finding the strength to pull a door off its hinges to get to there kid in a fire.

or someone being able to move rubble that weighed 100's of lbs to rescue someone trapped underneath.

Adreniline is a big factor in strength levels for normal humans, no reason it can't work the same for Superhumans too.

This would be a "real world" answer to why strength levels can vary so much and what base line strength could be.

You add into that, that writers are inconsistant and that this is fantasy so a character can do whatever the writers imagination (or lack of it) wants them to do.

All these factors are why its so tough for the handbook writers to get anything acurate!

I think the handbooks are a good guide line and if a character does something consistantly in his/her book you can build from there.

Class 100 characters can toss 100 tons around like I would use 100lbs for a warm up set on my bench.

Its nowhere near their max, its not even remotely near, but 100 tons is as good a place as any to start.

Hope that made some sense!

masterbruce
Originally posted by Hercules

Class 100 characters can toss 100 tons around like I would use 100lbs for a warm up set on my bench.

Its nowhere near their max, its not even remotely near, but 100 tons is as good a place as any to start.

Hope that made some sense!

Herc, I understand your point.

I would accept inconsistency if it werent crazy. If the 100 ton guy lifts 200 tons one day, I don't mind. Or if he lifts even 1000 tons, who's counting.

But if he suddenly lifts 1,000,000,000 from a base of 100 tons, then it's pretty ridiculous to me.

I also know that adrenaline makes you stronger, but only a certain amount, after all your muscles are your muscles, no matter how much adrenaline i pump into you you're not going to lift the same amount as Arnold Schwarznegger if you're 95 pounds. Adrenaline, rage, etc will boost your strength a few levels at most, not 10000000x boost.

I mean if Wolverine one day lifted a mountain, would you accept that as okay?

Prob not right? You'd prob think the writer is on crack for amping Logan more than 1,000,000x his base strength of under a 1 ton.

But if a guy like Thor or Superman gets a 1,000,000x boost in strength...then everyone accepts it.

Hercules
Well you could argue that although adrenaline works in multiples of say ten for human strength, it could work in multiples of hundreds or even thousands for Godlike Super beings.

I wouldn't say I accept it as ok, some of the higher end feats make me roll my eyes and DC character strength levels can make them pop right out of my head at times!

Marvels strength class system is lazy too, which doesn't help, anyone that is over 100 tons is just called "Class 100" and its up to the reader to judge the rest.

Some characters fluctuations are easier to understand than others, Hulk is a rage machine, his strength just keeps soaring and soaring so his high end feats can be millions of times higher than his "base"

Guys like Superman can get away with Sun dipping, Thor has his Warrior madness and his belt of strength.

I sometimes think Logan's writers are on crack anyway! but I see your point, problem is each character is the property of the company and will have many different writers, if they had just one all the way through things would be a lot more consistant.

Then you have ultra fans and fanboys who see a high end feat and all of a sudden they claim the character can do this all the time.

Its the world of comics, it won't change, its really up to us the reader to be sensible about whats high end and whats perfectly normal for each character.

And were not all going to agree, there is no real solid answer anyone can give, each theory has its holes.

Its an interesting debate though, good choice of topic!

bloodoverme

it would if the writer always pits him against street level villains. mad but it would actually be great if they put him up aginst herald/skyfather level enemies. big grin

Newjak
its inconsistent because Juggernaut has been consistently shown to have strength level of 100 tons (at max 200 tons)

Thor, if you accept his feats, can be said to have base level strength of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons

if you accept the two above facts, then it is quite inconsistent as Thor would have more power in his pinky than Juggernaut in his entire body Honestly I don't get where you can say Cain is only 200 tons erm

Let's see the guys very first appearance he causes the entire X-mansion to shack with only a mere fraction of his power(basically not even trying) and rips through a wall that was 50 times the strength of a battleship hull with no effort.

Let's see the guy can stalemate Hulk and Thor by the way. He even states that is is at least as strong as Thor.

I would also like to point out that he can hurl objects into space
KO the Thing in three blows and knocked Colossus out of a fight in one blow.

Oh even Marvel states the guy has immeasurable strength with one editer saying the guy could have unlimited strength

Cain is and has never been a chump in the strength department even Marvel says so wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.