beat jordan 1 on 1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spidey-dude
who can take on jordan in a 1 on 1 game ?

my only guess is kareem.

Lord Evolution
Kobe

TaZ#12
Originally posted by Lord Evolution
Kobe

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by spidey-dude

my only guess is kareem.

Michael humbled Kobe when he was young. Kobe scored 42 at 1/2 time on Jordan. Take your pick. Doesn't Juanita get Michael's $ laughing out loud

TaZ#12
My Picks

Bird, Bryant, Jordan, Magic, I. Thomas, possibly more, but I can't think right now.

Darth Martin
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson

TaZ#12
Yeah, maybe KG could.

spidey-dude
kareem was ahead of jordans rating when he was playing for awhile.

Darth Martin
Kareem vs Michael 1 on 1 is a mismatch

TaZ#12
Yeah, Michael could be him outside, speed to go inside, Kareem just was inside, and MJ could take him inside pretty well I think.

Darth Martin
No he couldn't.

TaZ#12
What?

Rohangiga
i can take jorden 1 on 1

Lord Coal
McGrady could give him a run for his money. Probably wouldn't beat him, but the Kobe probably wouldn't anyway.

McGrady, Bryant and Julius Irving are the only three guys I reckon would stand a serious chance. Like 50-1.

Rogue Jedi

my only guess is kareem.
dominique wilkins, in his prime, could go toe to toe with MJ.

BobbyD
Interesting question. Let me say that while there are many good to very good players that could beat him one time, heck even a couple times out of 10 times (ie Dirk Nowitzki for example), there are honestly only a handful that could beat him consistently say 3+/10 times. You need to find very rounded, versatile players with an inside-outside game, who are capable of (I stress capable, not necessarily don't want to or can't) playing great one on defense, with a height advantage over Mikey.

Off the top of my head, my choices:

Lebron
Kobe
Magic
Garnett
Pippen
Olajuwon
Shawn Marion

BobbyD
Originally posted by TaZ#12
My Picks

Bird, Bryant, Jordan, Magic, I. Thomas, possibly more, but I can't think right now.

This is my personal opinion....

Both, Larry and Isaiah would get owned by MJ....each for different reasons.

Larry is too slow to handle MJ on an NBA half court all alone. Mikey would score on EVERY possession....each score would be a layup or a flashy dunk. Bird would have to hit EVERY shot to score on MJ, be it a 3 foot floater or a 3 point bomb. If Larry misses one bucket, the game is over.

MJ hates Isaiah-'nough said.

spidey-dude
Originally posted by Darth Martin
No he couldn't. so thats a yes or no that kareem could beat jordan ?

BobbyD
so thats a yes or no that kareem could beat jordan ?

I think MJ takes Kareem more often than not, is my personal opinion. Kareem has to dribble that ball a looooong way between his hands and the floor....ripe for a steal, and a layup before Kareem knows it.erm

Bouboumaster
Lol, Shaquille O'neal.

He's not a force in attack, but he's the best defenser of all time. MJ wouldn't be able to pass through his 7'4" and his 340 lbs. On the other side, O'neal just have to run on straight line, and jump.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Lol, Shaquille O'neal.

He's not a force in attack, but he's the best defenser of all time. MJ wouldn't be able to pass through his 7'4" and his 340 lbs. On the other side, O'neal just have to run on straight line, and jump.

Forgive me for coming off antagonistic, but Shaq I still don't think has a chance. I feel this way about most centers actually, except perhaps Hakeem and the Admiral, who were very athletic mobile centers.

Anyhow, back to the point, Shaq wouldn't defend Jordan at the top of the key. At the first moment the ball is checked, Jordan is around him before Shaq can blink. And if Shaq chooses to step back, waiting for a rebound, and let Jordan have the shot, he is still screwed though I think his chances are better this way.

When Shaq has the ball this could be interesting.....

Shaq would try to back him in. Because if he faces up, the ball is stolen. And he doens't have an outside shot to save his life so he can't face up. This reduces it to a game within the game. Jordan wouldn't let Shaq back him in. Instead, he'd give the ground, and try to come around (either way) forcing Shaq to turn and face the basket and dribble. This is where Shaq is vulnerable. Shaq would know this too so he may decide to spot up for a 5-8 foot floater.

It'd be interesting. But, either way it's easier for Jordan to defend Shaq than the other way around. Thus, I give the odds to Jordan in a very competitive game EVERY time, if only for Shaq's girth and size. erm

teampac08
Ok for fairness let's just list only perimeter players. Big men shouldnt count since it's a physical mismatch. You give a great big man the ball once and he'll keep posting Jordan until he wins. Anyway, Only perimeter player that has a chance is Kobe. If Lebron can develop some defense and if Wade can develop a jumper and better defense they might have a chance. I did not add TMac because he just does not have enough d to contain Jordan. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson do not have the athleticism to match with Jordan one on one. Kobe vs Jordan is as good as it gets. Whether you want to agree or not Kobe is a better offensive player. He has better range. Jordan was most effective from the free throw line down. Kobe has range up until the three point line. Kobe is also slightly bigger, so he is goin to be stronger. What Jordan has is brains and better d. In all honesty, one on one is a toss up. If this was a team game Jordan would beat Kobe because he's the smarter player.

BobbyD
Originally posted by teampac08
Ok for fairness let's just list only perimeter players. Big men shouldnt count since it's a physical mismatch. You give a great big man the ball once and he'll keep posting Jordan until he wins. Anyway, Only perimeter player that has a chance is Kobe. If Lebron can develop some defense and if Wade can develop a jumper and better defense they might have a chance. I did not add TMac because he just does not have enough d to contain Jordan. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson do not have the athleticism to match with Jordan one on one. Kobe vs Jordan is as good as it gets. Whether you want to agree or not Kobe is a better offensive player. He has better range. Jordan was most effective from the free throw line down. Kobe has range up until the three point line. Kobe is also slightly bigger, so he is goin to be stronger. What Jordan has is brains and better d. In all honesty, one on one is a toss up. If this was a team game Jordan would beat Kobe because he's the smarter player.

....agree with everything you said, except your first 2 sentences and about Magic, not that my opinion means anything. erm

teampac08
Originally posted by BobbyD
....agree with everything you said, except your first 2 sentences and about Magic, not that my opinion means anything. erm

I love Magic, and the Lakers are my favorite sports franchise but even I know Magic does not have a chance. Jordan's the better individual player. Magic is the best at getting his teammates to play on a whole new level. Jordan's just too quick for Magic to handle on a one on one game. And in terms of big men, you just cant compare them. Let's take for example a prime Shaq. A prime Shaq was freakishly quick for his size, not to mention he was the strongest player physically to play the game. There's just no way for Jordan to guard him one on one. On the other hand, all it takes is for Shaq to rebound one missed jumper from Jordan, then he'll post it up all day.

Darth Martin
Kobe
Magic
Isaiah
LeBron
Carmelo
Dominique
Dr.J
T-Mac(in prime in Orlando)
Vince(in prime in Toronto)
Allen Iverson

Shawn Marion couldn't do it.
Larry is slow i'll agree.
As for Shaq and Kareem I don't believe in huge mismatches when talking about 1on1 situations.

BobbyD
Originally posted by teampac08
I love Magic, and the Lakers are my favorite sports franchise but even I know Magic does not have a chance. Jordan's the better individual player. Magic is the best at getting his teammates to play on a whole new level. Jordan's just too quick for Magic to handle on a one on one game. And in terms of big men, you just cant compare them. Let's take for example a prime Shaq. A prime Shaq was freakishly quick for his size, not to mention he was the strongest player physically to play the game. There's just no way for Jordan to guard him one on one. On the other hand, all it takes is for Shaq to rebound one missed jumper from Jordan, then he'll post it up all day.

See, I think Magic could give MJ fits with his heights and ball handling. Remember in Jordan's first NBA finals? The Bulls had Mikey covering Magic and MJ got 3 quick fouls and had to sit, and then the Pipster was on him. Oblviously, Magic could not guard Jordan one on one.

Yes, I could see what you said below about Shaq guarding MJ, but would it go like that is the question? And how far of a jumper are we talking about for MJ? There's no way he would be shooting from 15 ft out or more? Jordan is deadly from mid range too, no?

Why would MJ shoot from further out (than 15ft) when he could just merely dribble around him for an easy bucket? MJ knows that Shaq knows this too, no?

teampac08
See, I think Magic could give MJ fits with his heights and ball handling. Remember in Jordan's first NBA finals? The Bulls had Mikey covering Magic and MJ got 3 quick fouls and had to sit, and then the Pipster was on him. Oblviously, Magic could not guard Jordan one on one.

Yes, I could see what you said below about Shaq guarding MJ, but would it go like that is the question? And how far of a jumper are we talking about for MJ? There's no way he would be shooting from 15 ft out or more? Jordan is deadly from mid range too, no?

Why would MJ shoot from further out (than 15ft) when he could just merely dribble around him for an easy bucket? MJ knows that Shaq knows this too, no?

They're not goin to call fouls on a one on one game. Jordan, like I said is too athletic for Johnson. Plus Magic isnt a great one on one scorer overall, but he's clutch and can make them when it counts. Jordan, we all know is a greater individual scorer. On the MJ vs Shaq scenario, it only takes one missed jumper and it's all over. Shaq on the other hand, is automatic. He'll keep backing up Jordan for the points. There's nothing Jordan can do.

BobbyD
Forgive me for coming off antagonistic, but Shaq I still don't think has a chance. I feel this way about most centers actually, except perhaps Hakeem and the Admiral, who were very athletic mobile centers.

Anyhow, back to the point, Shaq wouldn't defend Jordan at the top of the key. At the first moment the ball is checked, Jordan is around him before Shaq can blink. And if Shaq chooses to step back, waiting for a rebound, and let Jordan have the shot, he is still screwed though I think his chances are better this way.

When Shaq has the ball this could be interesting.....

Shaq would try to back him in. Because if he faces up, the ball is stolen. And he doens't have an outside shot to save his life so he can't face up. This reduces it to a game within the game. Jordan wouldn't let Shaq back him in. Instead, he'd give the ground, and try to come around (either way) forcing Shaq to turn and face the basket and dribble. This is where Shaq is vulnerable. Shaq would know this too so he may decide to spot up for a 5-8 foot floater.

It'd be interesting. But, either way it's easier for Jordan to defend Shaq than the other way around. Thus, I give the odds to Jordan in a very competitive game EVERY time, if only for Shaq's girth and size. erm

spidey-dude
Originally posted by The_Mayor
Yeah, Michael could be him outside, speed to go inside, Kareem just was inside, and MJ could take him inside pretty well I think. kareem still holds the record for most points in a season

Darth Martin
Currently Kobe Bryant is practically Michael Jordan's equal. Each has similarities and they play the exact shockingly same way. Kobe is a better shooter and ball handler. Michael has more explosiveness and is a sightly better defender. If they're not equals MJ is Kobe's slight superior. To beat Jordan 1 on 1 with guards. Kobe is the perfect guy. He's his essential equal. erm

celestialdemon
Beating Jordan one on one would be very tough since he's good at creating his own shot. Chamberlain definitely could, but if we don't include guys who are physical nightmares for him, I would say that Kobe Bryant, Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Dominique Wilkins, and Larry Bird could beat him, although none of them are beating him every single time.

guy222
Good question in theory who could beat MJ 1 on 1

Michael schooled Kobe when Kobe was a youngster. Kobe embarassed a old, tired MJ when he had 42 on him at 1/2 time

IMO, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Dominique, Clyde, Oscar, Pete Maravich all would win

Darth Martin
Originally posted by celestialdemon
Beating Jordan one on one would be very tough since he's good at creating his own shot. Chamberlain definitely could, but if we don't include guys who are physical nightmares for him, I would say that Kobe Bryant, Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Dominique Wilkins, and Larry Bird could beat him, although none of them are beating him every single time. Dr. J and Bird don't have the defensive capabilities to stop Jordan. Dominique Wilkins and Oscar could though.

Darth Creasy
Only Darth Kobe has the footspeed, lateral movement, strength, quickness, overall athleticism, ego and skill to beat him.

Bernard King and Michael Ray Richardson would both give him a good game though.

Justic3
imo:
-lebron
-kobe
-magic
-tmac
-vince
-melo
-iverson
-a. stoudamire (slight possibility)
-nachbar.. lol

maybe yao ming?.. .. nahh :P

quanchi112
Originally posted by Lord Evolution
Kobe Kobe is no MJ.

ragesRemorse
that one black player, i think he could take Jordan one on one

DigiMark007
Most big men could. It's comparing apples and oranges. They'd just back him down and lay it in. If he could hit his 3's, he'd win. Otherwise not.

Very few little men could. I forget who it was that was interviewed after he actually played Jordan 1-on-1, but it was one of the best players in the league at the time. Not only did he lose, but Jordan stomped him. He was the complete package...offense and defense. In this format, only size could hope to beat him.

Darth Creasy
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Most big men could. It's comparing apples and oranges. They'd just back him down and lay it in. If he could hit his 3's, he'd win. Otherwise not.

Very few little men could. I forget who it was that was interviewed after he actually played Jordan 1-on-1, but it was one of the best players in the league at the time. Not only did he lose, but Jordan stomped him. He was the complete package...offense and defense. In this format, only size could hope to beat him.

Ballplayers will tell you the exact opposite. Mike is so much quicker than a big man that eventually he'd reach-around and steal the rock. They'd never see it again.

Little guys actually have a better chance because they would match or exceed his quickness and footspeed. Even though he'd be able to back down and/or shoot over them, guys like Isiah and A.I. would give him fits.

Pablo G
I still believe the only person who could beat Jordan 1 on 1 with Jordan in his prime is God, and that's if there is one.

Darth Macabre
Who can beat Jordan 1 on 1? Anybody if its in the board room! Man, he's a god awful NBA executive.

SuperLuigi
mj would destroy all the big men, too fast, too much leaping too good a shooter. kobe is the only one who has a chance. lebron cant do it because he has horrible defense and jumpshooting. kobe defensively could stop anything straight up from michael but michael can hang in the air and make insane shots. if kobe cant do it it cant be done.

Rogue Jedi
Only a few men can go toe to toe with MJ and stand a chance:

Bird, Erving, maybe Kobe.

Mindset
An old man beat him at his camp.

Rogue Jedi
Isiah Thomas.

Mindset
Originally posted by Darth Creasy
Ballplayers will tell you the exact opposite. Mike is so much quicker than a big man that eventually he'd reach-around and steal the rock. They'd never see it again.

I'm a ballplayer, I disagree.

Smasandian
Probably a few people.

Beating somebody 1 on 1 doesn't mean there better than them.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by SuperLuigi
if kobe cant do it it cant be done. Most likely. He's either the first or second most talented offensive perimeter player of all time IMO.

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Only a few men can go toe to toe with MJ and stand a chance: Bird.

Hell no. Bird would shit his pants trying to guard Jordan one on one.

occultdestroyer
Earl "The GOAT" Manigault

'Nuff said.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.