What is it about CD's..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Core
Does anyone here get giddy when they come across their favorite tunes at a pawn shop or used record store? Stuff you haven't heard in a while, or even used to own, but just lost or sold off ages ago?

I'm a pawn shop freak, as everyone knows. I think I browse the CD selection (always $3 a pop at Pawn America) regardless if only a day or two has passed, just hoping to find something I'd like to own. $3 as opposed to $12-$15 is a steal. I realize that the profits, that way aren't necessarily going to the artists, but it's better than going and ripping them off of a P2P, considering the album was sold at retail at one point.

Anywho, it dawned on me that Half Price Books also sold CD's at a pretty decent prices. (Anywhere from $5-$10). So, I was out shopping with the girlfriend and she stopped off for me. I walked in and this literal RUSH came over me. I just browse through and start picking album after album...everything from Ice T's "O.G."..Geto Boyz's "We Can't Be Stopped"..Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power"..Radiohead's "Kid A"..Smashing Pumpkins' "Melon Collie"..just on and on. My hand was cramping up, it was so full. $5? Seriously? I could have spent a small fortune there..but opted to play it safe and spend $10 for the time being.

Point of all this being, I realize we're in the digital age, and while I am sans iPod, surprisingly enough to most, there's still something about CD's. Either it just having the tangible thing..the aesthetics of a disc itself..the memories behind it...I dunno.

Anyone else get that way?

Alpha Centauri
I like owning CDs for many reasons.

The most prominent being that it was the way it was intended to be owned. Obviously another plus is that I'm paying the artist for their work and also I like having a CD library and/or collection. It's something that's good to look back on. It's easier to see just how much your taste has changed, and if your comp f*cks up, the music you used to listen to and forgot about, is gone. Where as with CDs, it's always there to note, or go back to.

Then there's liner notes and you know they are getting credit. The amount of mislabelled songs online is ridiculous.

-AC

EPIIIBITES
I had a friend who used to copy music any way he could before the digital age, and I always wanted to slap him.

I'd buy CDs all the time...he'd borrow them and copy them onto a tape...and he got even worse when P2P and CD burners came around.

Now he's got stacks and stacks of music...a library full...on silvery, Fuji, burnt CDs...quite lame I think.

Yeah...having the artists product right there in your hand is so much more personal. And going to a store to pick up a long awaited album that's just come out is just so much more...I dunno...reverential, or something. As opposed to:

CLICK!...iTunes...CLICK!...iTunes Store...CLICK!...The Knife: Silent Shout...CLICK!...Download Album...Done.

Even flipping through an iPod...I dunno...it just seems to be too easy or something. It's like flipping through a magazine...."bored with that page"...FLIP!

Plus, it's pretty exciting when I'll find a rarity like a 40 min version of The Orb's "Blue Room" CD Single or something in the used section of a pawn shop and realise that you're one of the few people in the world who now own it...and for only $9.99.

Gotta be CD

Alpha Centauri
I have an iPod just because when you have a lot of music it's worth it.

I put my CDs on comp and then just put what I want on my iPod, and use iTunes as a stereo pretty much. I keep my CDs for obvious reasons, plus there's the possibility a comp may f*ck up or whatever, or you may want to use a traditional stereo.

-AC

D00m
I love buying CD's because of the sound quality and it's fun when there's good liner notes. Big booklets are fun to flip through. Like both of Buckleys Legacy Editions. I never buy them used because I'm anal and HATE when there's even the slightest scratch. I never take them in my car either because I worry about scratching them so I just rip em and carry burned CD's in the ride.

EDIT: plus I love showing off my collection to my friends and whoever checks it out. They act like they're not impressed, BUT THEY ARE.

at least I like to think so. Damn I'm broke.

Spidervlad
I have one word for you, Limewire. Download the program and download hundreds and thousands of free songs. More then a million files in all.

D00m
Limewire sucks.

Lana
Too bad that's illegal and illegal talk is not allowed on here.

D00m
Originally posted by Lana
Too bad that's illegal and illegal talk is not allowed on here.

Yes, big brother be a listenin'. shhhhhhhhhhhh

Spidervlad
@#!~!#$%^&
Are you like following me?

I'm from Russia. I like illegal :P

D00m
Originally posted by Spidervlad
I'm from Russia. I like illegal :P

haha, YOU SICK BASTARD

Solo
Soulseek is where it's at.

Even if I have the album on my iPod, I'll grab it if it's a favorite on CD. Or if I just need to finish off an artist's discography I'll buy all of their albums.

Nellinator
Not illegal in Canada. LimeWire got off free in Canadian court.

D00m
Originally posted by Solo
Soulseek is where it's at.

Even if I have the album on my iPod, I'll grab it if it's a favorite on CD. Or if I just need to finish off an artist's discography I'll buy all of their albums.

You must be speaking for me solo. What's your name on slsk? We can share. STOP BEING GREEDY.

AND KEEP IT ON THE DL (not download) because we can't talk about that here. I'm not sure we can even think it.

RedAlertv2
Lately Ive been buying a handful of albums off of iTunes (I had a couple gift cards from Xmas). Its easy and convenient, but not nearly as cool as owning the actual CD.

Funkadelic
Yeah, I get like that too. Owning the actual CD is the way to go for me. I got some albums I copied from the library, but I am gonna buy the real CD when I stumble upon them.

The Core
I've got a premium Limewire account (Thanks, BitTorrent) but rarely use it. Only when it comes to stuff that's impossible to find like Hadouken! tracks which aren't on CD. I actually went and bought 3 tracks off of iTunes for the first time today, all from upcoming albums. Nice to download CD quality tracks in 10 seconds or less for only .99 cents.

I loaded a song or two off of my favorite CDs tonight to my iTunes player just for fun. Usually, I'd rather toss the CD in to listen to, or use my ProjectPlaylist player.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Nellinator
Not illegal in Canada. LimeWire got off free in Canadian court.

The program isn't illegal, but downloading copyrighted material without permission is.

I always buy the CD, unless it's not available on CD. I think it's basically the physical nature of the thing, like an artifact; in addition you have the artwork.

manorastroman
slsk is amazing for obscuria and extremely limited release indie.

this thread is funny. it's exactly the way most people describe vinyl (an undeniably superior format).

Slay
Originally posted by manorastroman
slsk is amazing for obscuria and extremely limited release indie.

this thread is funny. it's exactly the way most people describe vinyl (an undeniably superior format).
How is vinyl superior to CD? The sound quality is poor, and they're too big and unhandy to use while traveling or such.

§P0oONY
I have one word for you, Limewire. Download the program and download hundreds and thousands of free songs. More then a million files in all.
Limewire is the shit way of downloading illegally... Torrents are the only way of breaking the law.

I like to own the CD's because of the booklets and art. That's about it.

masterkit
I have an Sansa e20 mp3, but thats really true. I just love owning the CD so much more. It's just like so cool.

Spidervlad
Torrent sucks balls. Viruses all over the freacken torrent files.

§P0oONY
Torrent sucks balls. Viruses all over the freacken torrent files.
I've never had a single virus through torrents.

manorastroman
vinyl is certainly unweildy, but the sound quality is in fact superior, and certain albums (aeroplane over the sea and todd rundgren's a wizard a true star come to mind) are MEANT to be played on vinyl. the new arcade fire was designed to play on vinyl.

Slay
Originally posted by manorastroman
vinyl is certainly unweildy, but the sound quality is in fact superior, and certain albums (aeroplane over the sea and todd rundgren's a wizard a true star come to mind) are MEANT to be played on vinyl. the new arcade fire was designed to play on vinyl.
Really? Must be my player then. Stole it from my dad. Maybe it's damaged. I don't see how an album is written to be played on vinyl though...

Solo

Flying High
i love my vinyl....im collecting 7" right now though cause im pretty broke...eventually i'll start getting LOADS of albums...

manorastroman
made on vinyl can mean either the production was optimized for vinyl, or the songs were written and arranged to be played continuously. or both, i guess.

The Core
Vinyl's got a longerifespan, although it's pretty cumbersome. It still sells well, I know that's for sure. It's fun for collectiblity as well. Old LP's especially, when they were made of near indestructible bakelite.

Kinda reminds me of that part of "Ghost World" where Seymour geeks out over his collection, lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.