Racism or Melanism/Colorism?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AngryManatee
The term racism has been around for awhile, but I find it to be a bit misleading, seeing as how there aren't really seperate races of humans, just a difference in skin pigment. Should discrimination based on color be considered colorism or melanism? I think it would make "racists" realize how stupid they are to discriminate like that, especially if they're red-neck white trash, because they'll probably be anti-gay, and if they were affiliated with being "colorist," it would sound gay to them(colorist lol) and they wouldn't want that. I'm just rambling now. Ignore that part, it's for comedic purposes. What do you think about the rest though?

Kinneary
Race, in terms of humans, is a group of people linked by common heredity. So yes, there are different races of humans.

Marxman
There are different races of human. We, as humans, are a species. But there are different races within this species. How else would you explain the fact that humans from up north are more pale than other humans because of the lack of sun exposure and are always a lot more hairy than other humans because of the cold they must endure. How do you explain the fact that humans from African plains are much darker than other humans because of the lack of shade in a place where the sun is almost constantly beating down on them and that the have little or no hair on their bodies because they need to remain cool.

Adaptation has caused differences in the way humans look and the way they are, for lack of a better word, "made". That's why we are broken down into different races.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Marxman
There are different races of human. We, as humans, are a species. But there are different races within this species. How else would you explain the fact that humans from up north are more pale than other humans because of the lack of sun exposure and are always a lot more hairy than other humans because of the cold they must endure. How do you explain the fact that humans from African plains are much darker than other humans because of the lack of shade in a place where the sun is almost constantly beating down on them and that the have little or no hair on their bodies because they need to remain cool.

Adaptation has caused differences in the way humans look and the way they are, for lack of a better word, "made". That's why we are broken down into different races. Languages happened the same way. Latin for example broke into French, Spanish, Italien and Portuguese (and possibly a few others (some of which may have "died out" others I just don't know the name of)).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.