What is the biggest plot device ever in comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hulk rules all
What is the greatest plot device ever created in comics? Please rate the following from 1 to 9.

Mjolnir
Thor's god blast
Wolverine's healing and fighting attributes
Superman's attributes
Silver Surfer's power cosmic
Black Bolt's pseudosonic scream
Mangog's power of a billion beings
Destroyer armor
Iron man's weaponry/tech

What says ya'll?

Redatom65
hulk fan posting in the wrong place......no

anyway, there's another place for this thread

Priest
Speed Force, Omega Effect

TricksterPriest
Pshhhh. you call those plot devices? I can name at least 3 or 4 you missed. the Spectre, Green Lantern Rings, Speed force, Mxy, and of course, the biggest of them all, Dr. Strange. stick out tongue Magic in general, tops pretty much everything else on that list, with the possible exception of Mxy.

Big Sexy
unlimited strength

Symmetric Chaos
GL ring
RealityWarping
Idiot writers

TricksterPriest
Hudlin&Loeb. Nothing tops shit like Superman beating DS or Storm being called an Omega and beating Doom WITH LIGHTNING! What the f**k?

Redatom65
Superman is an omega mutant

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Storm being called an Omega and beating Doom WITH LIGHTNING! What the f**k?

Beating Doom with lightning!

I have just the picture for that

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/SymmetricChaos/Scathan-1.jpg
Inspired by guy222 text by Redatom65

horrorwolf
I'd say Superman's Build. Why is he so muscular when he is so rarely pushed to his limits? This guy should be flabby with a beer gut, because his power stems from his cellular density and solar distance to earths sun, and not so much from physical might.

Seriously Id have to go with Speed Force.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

hysterical Omg, that is funny.
hysterical Gotta love Guy222. big grin

Priest

co-singed, laughing out loud

Apolloknight
Batmans Belt

Why isnt it listed!!??

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Apolloknight
Batmans Belt

Why isnt it listed!!??

He actually left out most of the really major plot devices.

To add one more: SpeedForce

Redatom65

hysterical

Guy222 is Da Man!

guy222

yes

guy222

thumb up

guy222
Originally posted by Priest
co-singed, laughing out loud

Alright. Have a good evening

King_Mungi
Added: Honey Lemon's purse, Shaman's medicine bag

guy222
Originally posted by Redatom65
hysterical

Guy222 is Da Man!

Everyone is cool. Way of life for me is being happy. smile

Redatom65
Originally posted by guy222
Everyone is cool. Way of life for me is being happy. smile

I can see it now

*hands motion out*

Guy the next mr. Rogers!

Board Walker
Reed Richards

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Board Walker
Reed Richards

badum bum rolling on floor laughing

Redatom65
kish

2damnloud
Speed force, Magnetos Hemoglobin munipulation, Speed of thought execution.....thought + execution in unison....basically any thought/ reaction time debate.

people sometimes grasp at STRAWS on here.

guy222
Originally posted by Redatom65
I can see it now

*hands motion out*

Guy the next mr. Rogers!

I liked Ses Street/Electric Company. The claws and healing factor is my choice

capt it up
how does wolverines having a healing factor. He is a mutant. Also how is logans fighting skills a plot device. At least he has a good reason for beign rediculously skilled while many other characters do not

Dinalfos
Every character is, itself, a plot device.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Priest
Speed Force, Omega Effect

thumb up

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by capt it up
how does wolverines having a healing factor. He is a mutant. Also how is logans fighting skills a plot device. At least he has a good reason for beign rediculously skilled while many other characters do not

You did see who made the thread right?

nvrbeenwthagirl
Thanos's Intelligence and durability
The Omega Effect
Superman's Jobber Aura
Batkick
Thor's Rediculous Hammer
WW's Lasso
Surfer's Power Cosmic
A power ring in HAl's hands
Dr. Strange
The Phantom Stranger
The way the Justice Leage beats it's foes
Dr. strange
The Classic Beyonder
The Classic Juggernaut's Shields and stamina
The Shaggy Man

DevilGoblin
Originally posted by Hulk rules all
What is the greatest plot device ever created in comics? Please rate the following from 1 to 9.

Mjolnir 10 +++
Thor's god blast 10+++
Wolverine's healing and fighting attributes 6
Superman's attributes 10
Silver Surfer's power cosmic 10
Black Bolt's pseudosonic scream 10
Mangog's power of a billion beings 9
Destroyer armor 10++
Iron man's weaponry/tech 5

What says ya'll?

rated eek!

BTW: you are "The Man"

Hulk beats them all. Case Closed.

Redatom65
Originally posted by DevilGoblin
rated eek!

uhh

Batman-Prime
Squirrel Girl?

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
Thanos's Intelligence and durability
The Omega Effect
Superman's Jobber Aura
Batkick
Thor's Rediculous Hammer
WW's Lasso
Surfer's Power Cosmic
A power ring in HAl's hands
Dr. Strange
The Phantom Stranger
The way the Justice Leage beats it's foes
Dr. strange
The Classic Beyonder
The Classic Juggernaut's Shields and stamina
The Shaggy Man

Well, all of those are plot devices or can be ones. Except for Thanos. You're just hating. stick out tongue

Draco69
Reed Richards. Seriously.

No matter what, Reed will come up with a perfect plan and we will accept it because Reed is supposedly a super-genius.

Richards is the ultimate plot-device....EVER.

Hercules
rated eek!

Hulk beats plot devices... confused

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Draco69
Reed Richards. Seriously.

No matter what, Reed will come up with a perfect plan and we will accept it because Reed is supposedly a super-genius.

Richards is the ultimate plot-device....EVER.

BoardWalker beat you to it.

jasonk3
rated eek!

shock X-meat ?!?!

Hercules
Originally posted by jasonk3
shock X-meat ?!?!

Worse...Devilgoblin!

Juntai
Magic and prep-time.

jasonk3
Originally posted by Hercules
Worse...Devilgoblin!

Really?! ...Worst than X-meat...well now i have seen everything wacko

capt it up
You did see who made the thread right?
true

jasofisc
Originally posted by Juntai
Magic and prep-time.

I agree

grey fox
rated eek!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/materiaall/Spite.jpg

qqqqqqq
batgod's spray. it can take out anything

endrict
there are so many plot devices...

Speed blitz, rope of truth, super healing factor with Adam. claws are the top 3.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by endrict
there are so many plot devices...

Speed blitz, rope of truth, super healing factor with Adam. claws are the top 3.

Only the second one you listed can be taken as any sort of plot device . . .

Soljer
Only the second one you listed can be taken as any sort of plot device . . .

I was about to make that comment.

A speedblitz may be seen as a cop out, but it's not a plot device.

The Golden Lasso, Mjolnir, a Lantern Ring, the Power Cosmic, THOSE are plot devices.

A healing factor is not.

Unless you want to get into a deeper discussion, in which case EVERYTHING in the story is a plot device. Good, bad, and ugly, NOTHING would be written if not for the plot.

If you understand what I mean.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Hulk rules all

Mjolnir
Thor's god blast
Wolverine's healing and fighting attributes
Superman's attributes
Silver Surfer's power cosmic
Black Bolt's pseudosonic scream
Mangog's power of a billion beings
Destroyer armor
Iron man's weaponry/tech

What says ya'll? Magic, followed closely by GL Rings.

The Speedforce is a plot device as well.

Healing factors that are unspecified and inconsistent like Wolverine's are plot devices as well. Why? Because the writer uses it to adjust to whatever situation he's writing in. Do we get ko'ed by DD today in one hit, or do we take hits from Hulk multiple times. Do we grow back an eyeball, or do we get a scar from a knife wound?

Oh, and Batman's utility belt.

Ize19
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Magic, followed closely by GL Rings.

Healing factors that are unspecified and inconsistent like Wolverine's are plot devices as well. Why? Because the writer uses it to adjust to whatever situation he's writing in. Do we get ko'ed by DD today in one hit, or do we take hits from Hulk multiple times. Do we grow back an eyeball, or do we get a scar from a knife wound?

I believe Jinzin's covered this before. One of the reason's that Wolverine's healing factor is inconsistent is because it needs energy to run. The major provider of that energy for Wolverine is protein, so, when he's well fed and well rested, and his healing factor hasn't been pushed yet, then it's at it's optimal. The loss of the above factors can drag it down.

endrict
Originally posted by Soljer
I was about to make that comment.

A speedblitz may be seen as a cop out, but it's not a plot device.

The Golden Lasso, Mjolnir, a Lantern Ring, the Power Cosmic, THOSE are plot devices.

A healing factor is not.

Unless you want to get into a deeper discussion, in which case EVERYTHING in the story is a plot device. Good, bad, and ugly, NOTHING would be written if not for the plot.

If you understand what I mean.

Yah true... I wasn't clear about a cop out if Sups can't beat some, just throw him into the Sun, he wins vs a device like the rope....sorry.

Hercules
Originally posted by grey fox
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/materiaall/Spite.jpg

laughing

I have a new one too!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/Bigsid73/smite3.jpg

big grin

qqqqqqq
the roundhouse kick big grin

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Ize19
I believe Jinzin's covered this before. One of the reason's that Wolverine's healing factor is inconsistent is because it needs energy to run. The major provider of that energy for Wolverine is protein, so, when he's well fed and well rested, and his healing factor hasn't been pushed yet, then it's at it's optimal. The loss of the above factors can drag it down. And it wouldn't make it so different that it would add 100 tons of force on the receiving end, would it? No, it would make a mild difference. It's inconsistent from writer from writer becase it went up as his popularity grew, AND it's used for whatever plot he's in.

I'm sure they write in the captions. "Wolverine just ko'ed, it's because he didn't eat his vitamins and minerals fans."

That's more of an excuse than anything.

Bouboumaster
I go with the Roundhouse kick too.

Ize19
And it wouldn't make it so different that it would add 100 tons of force on the receiving end, would it? No, it would make a mild difference. It's inconsistent from writer from writer becase it went up as his popularity grew, AND it's used for whatever plot he's in.

I'm sure they write in the captions. "Wolverine just ko'ed, it's because he didn't eat his vitamins and minerals fans."

In the Terry Adams arc, (where he meets Epsilon Red) Wolverine is dying in the desert, and the "angel" that's with him states that his healing factor needs protein to work. This is confirmed when, after eating some vultures, he manages to completely recover, and even pull off his famous speed feat of blitzing the soldiers and slicing their guns without them even being able to track him.

bean_machine
KK

qqqqqqq
In the Terry Adams arc, (where he meets Epsilon Red) Wolverine is dying in the desert, and the "angel" that's with him states that his healing factor needs protein to work. This is confirmed when, after eating some vultures, he manages to completely recover, and even pull off his famous speed feat of blitzing the soldiers and slicing their guns without them even being able to track him. do you have the scans? i would like to see the part where he speed blitz the soldiers

Tha C-Master
In the Terry Adams arc, (where he meets Epsilon Red) Wolverine is dying in the desert, and the "angel" that's with him states that his healing factor needs protein to work. This is confirmed when, after eating some vultures, he manages to completely recover, and even pull off his famous speed feat of blitzing the soldiers and slicing their guns without them even being able to track him. And that is in an extreme situation in not in every single fight he's been in without one (an explanation). Making it a plot device. Unless you are going to say ALL of his lowest showings are because he's starved?

Ize19
Originally posted by qqqqqqq
do you have the scans? i would like to see the part where he speed blitz the soldiers

While I have the book, I unfortunately am unable to scan it right now. When I get home, I'll find the issue number for you, so someone who CAN scan it will do so. As for the speed blitz, it's in the respect thread, but I'll save you some time and post it here:

http://http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6512/wolverinega6.th.jpg

http://http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9685/wolverine2ky3.th.jpg

capt it up
Magic, followed closely by GL Rings.

same thing could be said for spiderman spider sense

capt it up
And it wouldn't make it so different that it would add 100 tons of force on the receiving end, would it? No, it would make a mild difference. It's inconsistent from writer from writer becase it went up as his popularity grew, AND it's used for whatever plot he's in.

actaully what he said is a fact.

origins is a perfect example of this.

actaully his healing factor went up because he a mutant who evolved.

better reason then spiderman up grades

capt it up
And that is in an extreme situation in not in every single fight he's been in without one (an explanation). Making it a plot device. Unless you are going to say ALL of his lowest showings are because he's starved?
many of them are healing factor wise actaully.

also his healing factor is not a plot device. If wolverine healing factor is a plot device then every other characters powers are plot devices since there used to further the plot.

janus77
gotta be Magic first, then time travel/reality warping.
that stuff just makes everything useless.

if a man like Dr. Strange can become a virtual God on account of his spell casting, why have characters like Thanos, Magneto, Dr. Doom etc pursue ANY other course of 'ultimate power'?

they should all be in the same bloody library reading up on the same books, fighting each other for the same amulets or sucking upto the right Gods for magical artifacts.

qqqqqqq
While I have the book, I unfortunately am unable to scan it right now. When I get home, I'll find the issue number for you, so someone who CAN scan it will do so. As for the speed blitz, it's in the respect thread, but I'll save you some time and post it here:

http://http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6512/wolverinega6.th.jpg

http://http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9685/wolverine2ky3.th.jpg nice scans, thanks alot

redhotrash
If people can take Wolverine as a whole, and Im not objecting, then Im gonna go with Doomsday as a whole. The entire concept is ridiculous, and if you read 1 Doomsday vs thread youve read them all. I'll also say the whole "with prep" thing is a pretty bad plot device. Any jackass character can theoretically ASK their opponent's enemy what he is vulnerable to. In general it leaves the floor completely open, and is made worse when someone like Reed is involved. One of the more disgusting posts Ive seen was Reed with 1 hour of prep vs Namor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and like 3 other people at once. People were giving Reed 10/10. Yeah alright.

psycho gundam
clones, doomsday, ig ,hotu,cosmic cubes etc

psycho gundam
reed coudn't see when his wife kept leaving to go to the beach to visit namor. get a clue numbnuts!

yugotank
Batman with "prep" can beat everyone.

yugotank
Submariner getting air-born with those tiny wings!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.