The opening scene of DMC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pirate_1987
I found this in http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/movies/index.cgi?read=95091

The Question:
That whole wedding scene sequence has us all banging our heads against the wall. We don't understand. It was obvious it had been raining for a while because everything was ruined (Teacups filled w/water, music plastered to the music stands, etc.). I would say even w/out the arrests there would not have been a wedding that day. Along w/the fact that everything was ruined neither her Father or the groom was there so, she definately wasn't walking up the aisle. So just what was she doing all by herself in the rain sitting in the mud? Then there's the other obvious question, she was looking out to sea. Were we supposed to make the connection that she was thinking about Jack?
And if that's not enough, here's a couple more. How was she able to hear Beckett's boots from where she was w/the rain and all? If she has been sitting in this rain the entire time the montage of scenes we see is taking place how would she have any idea what was happening to be able to ask Will, "Why this is happening?" instead of "What is happening?" And lastly, just where was her Father coming from? I find it highly unusual that he would just leave her there like that. Granted there were soliders there but, it was her wedding day. Why wouldn't he send his most trusted employee to find out what was going on so that he could stay with and comfort her?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The response:
Posted by Terry on Wednesday, 28 February 2007, at 11:04 a.m., in response to Question For T&T about the opening scene of DMC, posted by TastyPirates on Monday, 26 February 2007, at 1:22 p.m

Gore's intent on the wedding sequence was to do it as a non-linear montage. As Elizabeth is sitting in the rain, the events shown have already taken place -- the wedding has been called off, Will has been arrested, Beckett has arrived, and on top of it all, it's started to rain. Her wedding day has been ruined.

The linear version we don't get to see; it may have started with ships on the horizon, who's that?, we're under attack, where's Will, he's been arrested, rain, the wedding's off, etc., leading to her sitting on the lawn.

Gore's argument for moving the wedding to the opening was that if we started on Jack's story and then went to the wedding (as designed) we cared more about Jack's story, it seemed more compelling, so you didn't care about the ruined wedding by comparison.

pirate179
well that explains a lot

lovethemtigers
yeah...gosh these guys sure have a way of Clearing things up for us...NOT.....

and ...ya know what...even without starting with Jack..I still care more about his story than anybody else's....isnt' it funny how Jack/Johnny steals the show...and every scene he's in...your eyes just seem to focus on him....

lovethemtigers
i didn't care about the ruined wedding, regardless....i was actually happy that the wedding was stopped because fate intervened...thank goodness...

pirate179
i was just too excited to see jack again that i didnt really even think about the ruined wedding!lol

AudioHeart
Why can't those two ever explain things NORMALLY, I do not know if it is just me, but I can never seem to understand them... blink

pirate179
laughing me either!!!! by the way hi again AudioHeart...

tee_pirategirl
Originally posted by AudioHeart
Why can't those two ever explain things NORMALLY, I do not know if it is just me, but I can never seem to understand them... blink

I think cause they are writers and they make sense in a none-sense way. They make sense in a very Jack manner.

AudioHeart
Haha I know lol, I know, Hi again Pirate179 happy

AudioHeart
Originally posted by tee_pirategirl
I think cause they are writers and they make sense in a none-sense way. They make sense in a very Jack manner.

Ooh, did someone say Jack? LOL!

siriuswriter
Originally posted by tee_pirategirl

That's how we know they write Jack. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.