The House on Haunted Hill (1999)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

systemshock2
I just netflixed this movie the other day and got a chance to see it. I went in with some pretty low expectations but found it to be average-to-high average at best. I was looking at some reviews afterwards (which I usually do so I'm not predisposed to either like or dislike a movie) and was surprised and how many bad reviews this movie was given. It's not that bad IMO.

Anyways what worked: Geoffrey Rush (always a good man to watch) and Famke Jennesen(?) (even a better thing to watch hehe). I loved when the two were going at it with their words. Also the kills were pretty inventive, and I liked that "Silent Hill" shaky movement that some of the ghosts were doing.

I thought some of the scenarios looked vaguely familiar. It was interesting to read how "Dr. Killjoy" from THE SUFFERING game was based on the evil doctor in this movie.

So what did you'll think about the movie?

Impediment
I disliked it.

Vincent Price rules all.

dave_kodak
Originally posted by Impediment
I disliked it.

Vincent Price rules all. thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

LaHaine
die

dave_kodak
... you could say something other then that.
such as "you guys can die for taking about this"
or even "die because i cant think of any reason"

Evil Dead
it was decent.......nothing great. the best thing I could say about it is that atleast it wasn't a teeniebopper film.

horrible misuse of Jeffrey Combs. He should have had a much bigger role in the picture.

MildPossession
It was decent, has some nice moments in it. Better than the original anyday imo.

BackFire
The first hour is a lot of fun.

Then the end, well, it's terrible.

dave_kodak
Originally posted by BackFire
The first hour is a lot of fun.

Then the end, well, it's terrible. yeah the end was kinda... crapy.***

but it did have some neat effects in there.
and i've seen it enough times to say "yeah i saw that, you should try watching it sometime"
and oh how i have said that... once... i forget who i said it too.

(Edited)

DeNiro
I liked it but yea the ending did suck

Phoenix*Rising
There was a new "House on haunted Hill" on 2 weeks ago. I loved it. It took place in a 1930's insane asylum that was used for experiments on the criminally insane. Then zoom forward to the present time where it become a house and visitors are invited for a nights stay. Excellent movie!

ladygrim
Originally posted by Impediment
I disliked it.

Vincent Price rules all. i loved the vincent price one so when i watched this i had low expectations for it .. but i have to say its not that bad

steverules
What happens at the end of house on Haunted hill that ruins it?

ragesRemorse
it was better than the other remake that came out at that time...the haunting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.