The Best damn warships out there?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

doan_m
As this thread mentions, what is the best warship in existence? Could be from any sci-fi universe, but explain why it is so damn awesome. Multiple ships are allowed but just give an explanation why you chose it
So here are my picks:
Retribution Class Battleship
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/threatcon_1/10mppBloodHawk.gif
Why its my favorite: Standard broadsides are capable of turning a continent into ash with a few salvos in less then a single volley. It's got absurdly high sublight speeds of 75% the speed of light AND it's 7.5 km long!

Endless Mike
The ROU Killing Time from the Culture series.

Badass attitude, and weapons capable of flash - frying entire solar systems from tens of thousands of light - years away, reaction times in picosecond level, able to attack from hyperspace where it is impervious to enemy counterattack, defensive fields strong enough to allow it to fly through a supernova unharmed, trapdoor system to displace any unwanted energy into hyperspace so it cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons, effectors able to overload or suck energy from a target, or reprogram it (whether it's a computer or organic mind) from light-years away and cannot be blocked by anything except another effector, displacers to teleport miniature black holes and collapsed anti-matter bombs into targets, powerful enough to destroy planets with just one (and thousands can be displaced every second), sensors capable of detecting any energy or mass in a radius of dozens of light-years by their hyperspace echo, fought an entire fleet battle against hundreds of ships nearly as powerful and advanced as itself spread over 200 light-years in hyperspace in only 11 microseconds, with a hyperspace sprint speed of over 248 trillion times lightspeed....

and that's actually one of the weakest ships in my favorites list.

sj1
i say the white star from babylon 5, its just freakin cool

.ap3d.com/ws/white_star_main_page.htm

just add the WWW in front of the link

Count Makashi
The Millennium Falcon, the most pimp ride in the Universe.

Endless Mike
The Millenium Falcon isn't a warship, it's a modified freighter.

dave_kodak
The "USM Auriga" was fairly awesome.. but it was no war ship, it just had army people on it.. and some aliens, a clone or 8, and the crew from the betty....

LordFear
That armada from the Chronicles of Riddick.

Blaxican
Either the Sun Crusher or the Elcipse-Class Star Destroyer.

doan_m
^Sun crusher fits the category of superweapon. It's not actually meant to be a direct combat fighting platform class since its more specialized for a more single and specific role. Its purpose is not meant to offensively combat hostile fleets. But Eclipse class is more acceptable.

Blaxican
The SC can easily take on an entire fleet of Star Destroyers.

Just fly through their hulls no expression

Antaeus
Death Star is a "ship" though it has a strange design and is very big.
This is the best damn warship.

doan_m
Originally posted by Blaxican
The SC can easily take on an entire fleet of Star Destroyers.

Just fly through their hulls no expression

Thats merely a point defense system. Its meant to protect the ship from its real purpose of destroying the sun, thus making it more superweapon then warship.

Endless Mike
The Killing Time still beats everything else on this thread combined easily

doan_m
anything that comes out of the cultureverse annihilates anyone.

Blaxican
Originally posted by doan_m
Thats merely a point defense system. Its meant to protect the ship from its real purpose of destroying the sun, thus making it more superweapon then warship.

Doesn't matter no expression

Endless Mike
anything that comes out of the cultureverse annihilates anyone.

Actually there are races and ships that could easily defeat Culture ships

doan_m
Doesn't matter no expression

The main purpose of the Suncrusher is to invoke mass destruction on a scale that puts itself above the norm in it's native universe. The general definition of superweapon is an extremely powerful weapon by the standards of its time and its scale. Suncrusher exceeds normal power levels in SW thus making it more superweapon then warship.

Blaxican
That's the MAIN purpose. no expression

Kazenji
Only good ones that come to mind are any of the super star destroyers

doan_m
That's the MAIN purpose. no expression

which is EXACTLY why its superweapon, then a warship.

doan_m
The Suncrusher was designed primarily around one particular and unique purpose. To destroy a sun, acting as a weapon of mass destruction. It's foremost main and primary purpose is not built around engaging war fleets despite the fact that it can. All those point defense systems are designed as SECONDARY designs meant to throw in that additional purpose of defense. The MAIN design is not directly centralized around engaging fleets. If the designers made the suncrusher and decided its foremost main purpose was hostile fleet engagement, rather then acting as a WMD platform then it actually would have been an acceptable answer.

Second problem is that the suncrusher is actually no bigger then a fighter craft. And another problem was the logistics of said superweapon. It only carries a mere 11 resonance torpedoes in its hull rather then stocking up on hordes of projectiles as should be expected with other warships.

Blaxican
no expression

gentmax
I like the Battlestar Pegasus, myself. I know it wouldn't last against many of the other ships mentioned, but it has a much more realistic quality to it.

bloodoverme
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Actually there are races and ships that could easily defeat Culture ships

could you give examples and from what novels or series they are?

bloodoverme
The main purpose of the Suncrusher is to invoke mass destruction on a scale that puts itself above the norm in it's native universe. The general definition of superweapon is an extremely powerful weapon by the standards of its time and its scale. Suncrusher exceeds normal power levels in SW thus making it more superweapon then warship.

you do know that minesweepers are considered as warships though its only purpose is to eliminate sea mines? in my opinion the Suncrusher falls into the category of a warship. my vote goes to the species 8472 warship from the star trek universe.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by bloodoverme
could you give examples and from what novels or series they are?

For example, TARDISes from Doctor Who.

Not like the Doctor's TARDIS, which was an obsolete, broken down piece of junk that other Timelords just laughed at, but I mean top - of - the - line, state - of - the - art War TARDISes.

High - end ships from the Perry Rhodan - verse, such as Chaos Tenders and Cosmic Factories are also far beyond the capabilities of the Culture.

Then there are the Jjaro vessels from the Marathon computer game series.

Really, there are quite a lot.

doan_m
Originally posted by bloodoverme
you do know that minesweepers are considered as warships though its only purpose is to eliminate sea mines?
what still makes minesweepers a warship is that the design itself is first and primarily a warship in its own right. The devices of minesweeping(MNV'S, are attached to the warship itself, rather then being a ship whose design is greatly influenced by its own purpose which is the problem with the suncrusher.

Flame On!!
Originally posted by Endless Mike
For example, TARDISes from Doctor Who.

Not like the Doctor's TARDIS, which was an obsolete, broken down piece of junk that other Timelords just laughed at, but I mean top - of - the - line, state - of - the - art War TARDISes.

High - end ships from the Perry Rhodan - verse, such as Chaos Tenders and Cosmic Factories are also far beyond the capabilities of the Culture.

Then there are the Jjaro vessels from the Marathon computer game series.

Really, there are quite a lot.

Of course Starlords ship which was actually a cosmic cube could do it. As could the Authority's vessel which was a bit like the sphere in Excession being able to traverse higher dimensions Xeelee nightfighters as the Culture have no time travel.

-FO!!

ragesRemorse
the main ship from aliens. or the giant chicken from serenity lol the last one was a joke

Count Makashi
The Invisible Hand - because its such a cool name.

S_W_LeGenD
I like Executor Super Star Destroyer.

Count Makashi
Those are great to.

Hewhoknowsall
Sorry to bump but:

Galactus's ship

Endless Mike
War TARDIS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.