Action comics retcon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Big Sexy
I just read action comics 846. I thought it was a great issue but does it mean that "For Tomorrow" and the Russian Zod never existed? Also thought it was cool that they brought Jax-ur back even though I mostly only know him from Superman, "The Animated Series".

grey fox
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I LOVED the idea of Russian Zod.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by grey fox
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I LOVED the idea of Russian Zod. It seems every three years a new Zod appears and it like hes meeting Superman for the first time.

Black Adam
I still prefer Jax-ur from the TAS no expression

pr1983
i think its the whole donner thing... it looks to me as if this is the superman II he's always wanted to make...

i just wonder how supes is gonna get free of the phantom zone and fight an army of kryptonians...

Flame On!!
Originally posted by pr1983
i think its the whole donner thing... it looks to me as if this is the superman II he's always wanted to make...

i just wonder how supes is gonna get free of the phantom zone and fight an army of kryptonians...
It's brilliant, it's like the first crisis never happened. I am so loving it. I love Action comics at the moment. It's perfect!!!!!!

- FO!!

Rewmac

i just wonder how supes is gonna get free of the phantom zone and fight an army of kryptonians... He asks Batman to help him big grin roll eyes (sarcastic)

Flame On!!
Originally posted by Rewmac
He asks Batman to help him big grin roll eyes (sarcastic)

Read it before you mock it. It's been for about a year the best comic around.

- FO!!

pr1983
Originally posted by Flame On!!
It's brilliant, it's like the first crisis never happened. I am so loving it. I love Action comics at the moment. It's perfect!!!!!!

- FO!!

i have to say that i wasnt initially too impressed by the johns/donner combination, but damn, they've really come a long way in a short time...

Flame On!!
i have to say that i wasnt initially too impressed by the johns/donner combination, but damn, they've really come a long way in a short time...

It's perfect. I wait for it more than any other comic every month.

Grimm22
Best writing on Superman....well....ever!

Flame On!!
Originally posted by Grimm22
Best writing on Superman....well....ever!

I agree completely and the art is perfect also.

pr1983
i think the next few issues are really important... one issue does not a great series make... and kubert needs to keep his consistency, i thought he wasnt great in the first couple of issues of this arc...

Flame On!!
i think the next few issues are really important... one issue does not a great series make... and kubert needs to keep his consistency, i thought he wasnt great in the first couple of issues of this arc...

Le's hope, it stays this perfect.

pr1983
the one thing i'm praying for is a really, really huge battle between supes and zod, seriously, those two going against each other one on one would be awesome imo...

Flame On!!
the one thing i'm praying for is a really, really huge battle between supes and zod, seriously, those two going against each other one on one would be awesome imo... I think you'll get it and it will be. After the best subjugation of Earth scenes for a few decades in comics.

pr1983
I think you'll get it and it will be. After the best subjugation of Earth scenes for a few decades in comics.

i wonder will we see the league go up against zod's army... i think this arc will really give people an idea of how dangerous superman would be if he wasnt the good guy everyone knows him as...

Flame On!!
i wonder will we see the league go up against zod's army... i think this arc will really give people an idea of how dangerous superman would be if he wasnt the good guy everyone knows him as...

We have to see them beat everyone. Zod has an Army of Supermen. I agree with you people will understand.

pr1983
We have to see them beat everyone. Zod has an Army of Supermen. I agree with you people will understand.

which to me would be awesome... so many people nowadays think of supes as being overrated, or riddled with plot devices just to make him look good... this arc could do a lot in destroying those preconceptions...

oooh... zod taking ww (and the other female leaguers) as concubines... drool

*cough* sorry, had a fanboy moment there...

Flame On!!
which to me would be awesome... so many people nowadays think of supes as being overrated, or riddled with plot devices just to make him look good... this arc could do a lot in destroying those preconceptions...

oooh... zod taking ww (and the other female leaguers) as concubines... drool

*cough* sorry, had a fanboy moment there...

I'm having a fanboy momen to, I want to see the old powers back nd with Donner we might get timetravel at least.

pr1983
I'm having a fanboy momen to, I want to see the old powers back nd with Donner we might get timetravel at least.

not precrisis supes... please no... i honestly like him the way he is... time travel through other means, sure, but no flying around the world really fast... i just dont think it works nowadays...

Flame On!!
not precrisis supes... please no... i honestly like him the way he is... time travel through other means, sure, but no flying around the world really fast... i just dont think it works nowadays...

Precrisis deserves to return.....

I'd love it just to wind up Marvel fans.

pr1983
rofl... i dunno to be honest, i like the modern superman, i like that he can be hurt, that he can doubt himself, it adds depth... i dunno what he'd be like if they took that away...

Flame On!!
rofl... i dunno to be honest, i like the modern superman, i like that he can be hurt, that he can doubt himself, it adds depth... i dunno what he'd be like if they took that away...

Pre crisis ccould be hurt as well. He just used his powers more novelly.

- FO!!

pr1983

- FO!!

i mean in the personal sense... i don't know how they can keep his modern personality and give him all those powers back...

Flame On!!
i mean in the personal sense... i don't know how they can keep his modern personality and give him all those powers back...

He has "most" of them back and new ones like Tvo.

Anyway, goodnight mate.

pr1983
He has "most" of them back and new ones like Tvo.

Anyway, goodnight mate.

he still has a long way to go imo...

nite...

Devil Lance
Hate tto break it to you guys but you won't be be getting the next par tof this arc for a while

Action 847 is written by Dwayne Mcduffie (the main writer for the JLU Cartoon and the creator of Static Shock) with art by Renato Guedes
although it does have a lot to do with the current arc as it has Zod attacking Metropolis.

Action 848 and 849 is a fill in arc written By Fabian Nicieza with art by Allan Goldman.

Action 850 is written by Geoff Johns, Richard Donner, and Kurt Busiek
with art by Renato Guedes
It ans extra sized special issue and it deals with Superman and Supergirl along with the Legion of Superheroes.

these issues are coiming out in these months

847- april
848-april
849-may
850-may

and then 851 picks up with the next part of the last son arc

pr1983
i'd actually heard something along those lines... i think wonder woman is having a similar thing done too...

Validus
Originally posted by Devil Lance
Action 850 is written by Geoff Johns, Richard Donner, and Kurt Busiek
with art by Renato Guedes
It ans extra sized special issue and it deals with Superman and Supergirl along with the Legion of Superheroes.

HUZZAH!

You all better buy this one.

pr1983
Originally posted by Validus
HUZZAH!

johns is on great form at the moment, i think anyone would be crazy not to...

Devil Lance
HUZZAH!

and if I don't evil face

Validus
and if I don't evil face
I'll use my magical powers as an internet hard ass which amount to nothing. sad

Juntai
johns is on great form at the moment, i think anyone would be crazy not to... Johns is one of the best around for several years now.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Juntai
Johns is one of the best around for several years now.

Kurt Busiek isn't that bad either

honestly the current Superman creative teams are the best they've been in awhile

same with Batman's creative teams

except they are all stuck with annoyingly slow artists mad (sans Detectice Comics Don Kramer is actually pretty fast)

pr1983
Johns is one of the best around for several years now.

true, his flash work is some of my favourite writing on any comic ever... shame he wasnt given total creative control of IC, he'd have done it real justice imo...

honestly the current Superman creative teams are the best they've been in awhile

same with Batman's creative teams

except they are all stuck with annoyingly slow artists mad (sans Detectice Comics Don Kramer is actually pretty fast)

true, busiek is one of the best, though his recent arc was dipping (that was of course until the last superman issue, which to me was brilliantly executed)

Validus
Waid Flash > Johns Flash

pr1983
Waid Flash > Johns Flash

which one was waid? as much as i love the flash, i havent read nearly as much as i should have...

Devil Lance
Waid Flash > Johns Flash

Bilson and DeMeo's Flash>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Waid's flash
stick out tongue

Devil Lance
which one was waid? as much as i love the flash, i havent read nearly as much as i should have...

the one that introduced the speed force and killed Johny Quick

Validus
Flash #62-129

Mark Waid totally made Wally West IMO.

Devil Lance
Flash #62-129

Johns didn't start immediately after him did he confused

pr1983
Flash #62-129

i've never read it... you wouldn't know if there's a tpb would you?

Validus
Johns didn't star immediately after him did he confused
No, Geoff started somewhere in the 160's.

Juntai
Waid Flash > Johns Flash Waid is another of my favs.
I also really like Chuck Dixon and wish they'd give him something other than a mini.

Devil Lance
No, Geoff started somewhere in the 160's.

then who wrote flash after Waid
confused

Validus
i've never read it... you wouldn't know if there's a tpb would you?
There's a few of them. Born to Run, Dead Heat, Terminal Velocity, Race Against Time, and Return of Barry Allen.

Validus
then who wrote flash after Waid
confused
Mark Millar and Grant Morrison

pr1983
There's a few of them. Born to Run, Dead Heat, Terminal Velocity, Race Against Time, and Return of Barry Allen.

just tell me one thing... what i loved about the johns run was the way his relationship with his wife was constantly intertwined with his responsibilities as the flash... all in all, it was, to me, a very grown up comic... if i buy these tpb's, am i gonna like em?

Validus
just tell me one thing... what i loved about the johns run was the way his relationship with his wife was constantly intertwined with his responsibilities as the flash... all in all, it was, to me, a very grown up comic... if i buy these tpb's, am i gonna like em?
You should. Johns took what Waid did and built from it. The tone is almost exactly the same.

pr1983
You should. Johns took what Waid did and built from it. The tone is almost exactly the same.

oh, then cool... i'll see if i can pick one up when i go comic shopping...

any one in particular you'd recommend?

Validus
Terminal Velocity introduced the Speed Force. I guess thats a good place to start.

pr1983
Terminal Velocity introduced the Speed Force. I guess thats a good place to start.

thumb up cool, thx dude, much appreciated... now if only they'd bring wally back...

so, action comics... such and such...

Juntai
You should. Johns took what Waid did and built from it. The tone is almost exactly the same. I noticed John tends to do that, he picks an era for a character, and tries to build stories like those. Check his work .. .Titans for instance, they look built right off of the Wolfman era. His Superman...Flash, even GL. It seems to work rather well, given the awesome stories he's written as a result.

pr1983
I noticed John tends to do that, he picks an era for a character, and tries to build stories like those. Check his work .. .Titans for instance, they look built right off of the Wolfman era. His Superman...Flash, even GL. It seems to work rather well, given the awesome stories he's written as a result.

i'd take that over guys coming in and trying to do something brand new and completely screwing it up...

Validus
i'd take that over guys coming in and trying to do something brand new and completely screwing it up...
Yeah, its like they don't realize these characters were popular long before they came along. Nobody asked for a new and extreme (or emo *cough*BilsonDeMeo*cough*) version .

pr1983
Yeah, its like they don't realize these characters were popular long before they came along. Nobody asked for a new and extreme (or emo *cough*BilsonDeMeo*cough*) version .

lol... too true...

manjaro
i too was baffled by all the freaking Zod's that popped over the years...it all started with the zod and Co. that superman killed that ended being from another universe....then of course you had russian Zod, then you had the Zod that brainiac created, by this time i assumed that "for tommorrow" Zod was the real deal cuz he said that Jor-el imprisoned him, and in the P-zone and kal el ruined it by trying to run it into a paradise... so i guess that was another fake too, cuz that arc was the catalyst for the OMAC project so i dont think they would retcon that so yeah what the f **** is up with all these Zod's? is my question

pr1983
Originally posted by manjaro
i too was baffled by all the freaking Zod's that popped over the years...it all started with the zod and Co. that superman killed that ended being from another universe....then of course you had russian Zod, then you had the Zod that brainiac created, by this time i assumed that "for tommorrow" Zod was the real deal cuz he said that Jor-el imprisoned him, and in the P-zone and kal el ruined it by trying to run it into a paradise... so i guess that was another fake too, cuz that arc was the catalyst for the OMAC project so i dont think they would retcon that so yeah what the f **** is up with all these Zod's? is my question

i think the 'for tomorrow' one was the real one, until they changed it this time yet again...

Devil Lance
i think the 'for tomorrow' one was the real one, until they changed it this time yet again...

but remember after Infinite Crisis a new DCU was created so writers can pick and choose which versions of characters they want to use. wink

pr1983
but remember after Infinite Crisis a new DCU was created so writers can pick and choose which versions of characters they want to use. wink

pretty much yeah...

Big Sexy

- FO!! Yeah and his comics sucked. I would rather have a character weaker with a great story than stronger with a terrible story. No more of lex making a dimensional transporter out of orange juce packets.

Pre Crisis Ya
Mark Millar and Grant Morrison

Huh ?????????

Really ? Was there stuff any good ?

Pre Crisis Ya
I noticed John tends to do that, he picks an era for a character, and tries to build stories like those. Check his work .. .Titans for instance, they look built right off of the Wolfman era. His Superman...Flash, even GL. It seems to work rather well, given the awesome stories he's written as a result.

Mind you i still love Brusieks work with AoS. I really enjoyed the Camelot Falls arc, and the last issue had real touches of Alan Moore about it. D.C. is doing a LOT of good at the moment;

Books everyone should be reading (Or at least getting the TPB):

Batman (Grant Morrison)
The Atom (Gail Simone)
Legion of Super Heroes (Mark Waid)
J.L.A. (Metzler)
Action Comics (Geoff Johns, Donner)
Green Lantern (Geoff Johns)
Brave and the Bold (Mark Waid)
52 (Grant Morrison, Rucka, Waid, G.Johns)
J.S.A
All star Superman (Grant Morrison)

All of them are ****ing brilliant at the moment.

Oh yeah and Justice

Validus
Wow, someone besides me on KMC who reads Legion?! Happy Dance

Pre Crisis Ya

It was you who got me into it in the first place, i asked you about the book (in a past lifetime) and you highly recommended it. I've read the first two trades and the Great Darkness saga. I also bought the issue that had the Super girl vs Mon El fight. I love the sci-fi elements to it. Waid is an ex physicist and he tries to explains the powers with pseudo physics. I love the stories about Dream and Phantom Girl, and Brainy is fast becoming one of my favourite characters. The arts ALSO pretty good. Id like to see some Mordru or the Time trapper in the not too distant future. A new Validus (With a silver age origin), wouldn't go a miss also.

Validus
See folks, I'm not just being a raving fanboy when I recommend LoSH. It's actually worth a look.

But unfortunately the Waid/Kitson run is coming to an end so now I'm just waiting for the announcement of a new creative team.

Pre Crisis Ya
See folks, I'm not just being a raving fanboy when I recommend LoSH. It's actually worth a look.

But unfortunately the Waid/Kitson run is coming to an end so now I'm just waiting for the announcement of a new creative team.

How did you find this out / smile

roughrider
Just remember - Pre-Crisis was the days when his sneeze destroyed a solar system, and powers like super-knitting and super-mathematics, et al. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Do we REALLY want the days of no limits back?

Validus
Originally posted by Pre Crisis Ya
How did you find this out / smile
It was announced last week at Comic Con.
Originally posted by roughrider
Just remember - Pre-Crisis was the days when his sneeze destroyed a solar system, and powers like super-knitting and super-mathematics, et al. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Do we REALLY want the days of no limits back?
Kind of a silly argument. This isn't the 60's.

db_renji
Mind you i still love Brusieks work with AoS. I really enjoyed the Camelot Falls arc, and the last issue had real touches of Alan Moore about it. D.C. is doing a LOT of good at the moment;

Books everyone should be reading (Or at least getting the TPB):

Batman (Grant Morrison)
The Atom (Gail Simone)
Legion of Super Heroes (Mark Waid)
J.L.A. (Metzler)
Action Comics (Geoff Johns, Donner)
Green Lantern (Geoff Johns)
Brave and the Bold (Mark Waid)
52 (Grant Morrison, Rucka, Waid, G.Johns)
J.S.A
All star Superman (Grant Morrison)

All of them are ****ing brilliant at the moment.

Oh yeah and Justice

Wait, but you forgot to include...Supergirl by Kelly and Churchill.

The story is by far one of the most interesting storys with many twists (exspecially the last issue with Batgirl). Plus, Churchill, is one of the best artists out fight now (draws the best Supergirl and Batgirl, ever!)

Flame On!!
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Yeah and his comics sucked. I would rather have a character weaker with a great story than stronger with a terrible story. No more of lex making a dimensional transporter out of orange juce packets.

You really weren't reading comics in the late 70's early eighties were you.

The problem with KMC the members know nothing of the different periods of a character.

- FO!!

Flame On!!

Agreed his Conan run for Dark Horse was unbelievable.

- FO!!

Validus
Originally posted by db_renji
Wait, but you forgot to include...Supergirl by Kelly and Churchill.
pfft

Validus

The problem with KMC the members know nothing of the different periods of a character.

- FO!!
Yeah, Silver and Bronze Age comics are a lot better than anyone cares to give them credit for. A lot of the ideas in comics now are just retreads of that period anyway.

Pre Crisis Ya

- FO!!

Kind of giving away who u are there .... wink

I've read some of ALan Moores silverage Superman and its reaklly brilliant stuff but the other bits i've read are kind of boring. And I don't care what people say, Marv Wolfmans original Crisis is extremely overated.

~waits for Ion/Validus to cry~

Pre Crisis Ya
pfft

What was Kellys Superman run like ?, I quite enjoy his JLA stuff. I've heard he's probably going to be writing Batman/Superman in the not too distant future.

Flame On!!
Yeah, Silver and Bronze Age comics are a lot better than anyone cares to give them credit for. A lot of the ideas in comics now are just retreads of that period anyway.

true enough!

Kind of giving away who u are there .... wink

I've read some of ALan Moores silverage Superman and its reaklly brilliant stuff but the other bits i've read are kind of boring. And I don't care what people say, Marv Wolfmans original Crisis is extremely overated.

~waits for Ion/Validus to cry~

Yes I am Flame On!! The one true guru of comics, I read the Legion when Grimborr the chainsman only used rope wink and the "Dark Man" didn't even have a mild tan.

smile God of comics

rock guru

Flame On!! stick out tongue

Pre Crisis Ya
true enough!

Yes I am Flame On!! The one true guru of comics, I read the Legion when Grimborr the chainsman only used rope wink and the "Dark Man" didn't even have a mild tan.

smile God of comics

rock guru

Flame On!! stick out tongue

I've just been accused of being the 'Real you' in another thread. smile

Flame On!!
I've just been accused of being the 'Real you' in another thread. smile

The real "Flame On!!" Cool.

smile

rock

- FO!!

Big Sexy

- FO!! I'm twenty no expression but I have enough precrisis stuff to last a lifetime.

Flame On!!
Originally posted by Big Sexy
I'm twenty no expression but I have enough precrisis stuff to last a lifetime.

Well it's obviously the wrong stuff! wink Dave Gibbons/ Alan Moores precrisis Supes circa 1985 ish had no Superknitting and blew the socks off Byrnes shitty revamp.

Keep the faith youngster smile

Look to the skys rock

- FO!!

smoking!!!

roughrider
They didn't reboot Pre-Crisis Superman just because he was ridiculously over the top powerful.
It was because his comics were selling at much lower numbers - because he was so boringly powerful.

Flame On!!
They didn't reboot Pre-Crisis Superman just because he was ridiculously over the top powerful.
It was because his comics were selling at much lower numbers - because he was so boringly powerful.

Exactly right to a point.

It had started the decline though before the Moore run. If they had just held on another year Moores name would have been all the retconn neededsad hindsight is always 20/20 my friend.

smile

- Flame On!!

Stay hot rock

pr1983

i do too... though only because my brother buys it... stick out tongue really good writing, i guess the problem for me is that i just cant get into it as much as other people... none of the characters seem relatable to me as an individual, though i'm sure they do for alot of other people...

i've read the kelly/churchill supergirl (again my brother gets it, bit of a pattern there), and to be honest, it just doesnt interest me in the slightest, though churchill's art is nothing short of awesome...

i started reading in the 80s, though i've done my best to read as much of the supes back catalogue as possible...

i can appreciate the fact that it was a different time and attitudes were different, and there are some very good stories from back then, but for me, my favourite superman is the modern one... he's the one i can relate to the easiest, and he seems to be a deeper, more developed character nowadays...

just imho...

roughrider
Exactly right to a point.

It had started the decline though before the Moore run. If they had just held on another year Moores name would have been all the retconn neededsad hindsight is always 20/20 my friend.

smile

- Flame On!!

Stay hot rock

Remind me again the length of Alan Moore's run. I'm only aware of that famous Superman Annual he wrote in 1985, featuring Mongul.

I think there have been many lasting positives since the reboot. Jonathan and Martha Kent being alive and active in Clark's life, for one.

Flame On!!
Remind me again the length of Alan Moore's run. I'm only aware of that famous Superman Annual he wrote in 1985, featuring Mongul.

I

He did a few issues 2 of Supes and 2 of Action a couple of them were put together as whatever happened to the man of tommorrow as well as the annual. He wasslated to write more but then the watchmen took off and he never returned to the book and Byrne did the reboot.

Hindsight.

- FO!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.