Prefered Power Level

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mindship
I'm just curious what most members prefer, a superhero on which power level...

Local: potential to be a citywide threat.
Global: potential to be a worldwide threat.
Cosmic: potential to be a universal threat.

Symmetric Chaos
I tend toward liking Cosimc or otherwise unstoppable characters.

Really though it comes down to how interesting the character is in terms of personality.

Tenebrous
I think this question is more complex than would initially appear. What types of stories can you write with local (street-level) characters?

If written well, we can really see what drives a person, his motivations, his aspirations, his fears, etc. etc. all while being a relatively "normal" man (Batman, Captain America).

In the Spider-Man 2 movie, we see the scene of the girl offering peter parker cake. That scene is particularly poignant because that is one instance where peter is having a normal life...his rent his overdue, and his landlord's daughter has a crush on him. In other words to make these characters interesting, you have to be able to relate to them in someway, so their powers/abilities don't completely alienate you.

Cosmic characters are on the other end. For me, there's more of a mythology attached to them. Something abstract and mystical. For this reason one of my favorite characters is Galactus because the character was, when he was first introduced, supposed to be a comic book version of God. he's lost that lustre now but the appeal of cosmic characters for me is that they are fantastical while at the same time unexplainable.

They stop being interesting when someone ordinary is granted the power to destroy dimensions.

id369
Around City - Global

Magneto
Exodus
X-Man
Vulcan

They are strong, yet lose often enough to not make them seem omipotent or what not.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Mindship
I'm just curious what most members prefer, a superhero on which power level...

Local: potential to be a citywide threat.
Global: potential to be a worldwide threat.
Cosmic: potential to be a universal threat.

For me...none powers..just great intellect and formidable athletics.

I think you forgot one, Omnipotence: pontential to be an infinite threat.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

I think that was meant to be covered by Cosimc threat.

TricksterPriest
Do you really have to ask who I want? shifty global is pretty much my limit. "I am as far from a mutant as they are from you. I am, an External." Try and guess who said that. stick out tongue

Mindship
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I gave broad-stroke definitions, to be sure.

Interesting that so far, Global is least popular. Though my preference for established superhero characters is Cosmic (big surprise, I know), I find that in creating my own characters / writing stories, I prefer Global level: not so powerful as to be hard to relate to, yet powerful enough to be somewhat impressive.

Those who've responded so far, thanks for your input.

bigbran
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Do you really have to ask who I want? shifty global is pretty much my limit. "I am as far from a mutant as they are from you. I am, an External." Try and guess who said that. stick out tongue Shouldn't you be voting for household threat if you're using Apocalypse... confused

Grinning Goku
I'd take 'citywide threat.'

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I think that was meant to be covered by Cosimc threat.

I would think cosmic and divine are two different powers.

Cosmic characters- Orion, SS, Galactus, etc...

Divine characters- The Spectre, TOAA, Phantom Strange, etc...

You did fine. I just felt we need the Uber god-like powers. wink

Disappear
i tend toward more local types, even if the character has a greater "threat potential" and they're simply operating within a smaller context. those types of stories seem to, as stated above, give a greater insight into the facets of the character. "street-level" types are the most relatable and interesting to me, as they're superhumans operating within typical human scenarios. or, alternately, they're relatively human operating in superhuman scenarios. it depends on the setting and other characters involved, at times.

comes down to the writing, mostly. but i can't seem to get too into the overpowered cosmic types. closest i can get is super-skrull.

Dinkus Mayhem
I really like all of them, but there is something extra fun about the cosmics.

Endless Mike
I enjoy cosmic type characters and stories better, for example I hated Civil War but loved Annihilation

Mindship
At time of this posting, Global Level still seems to be the least preferred.

Opinions on that, anyone?

HigH ScholaR
it can only be cosmic

Originally posted by Tenebrous
I think this question is more complex than would initially appear. What types of stories can you write with local (street-level) characters?

If written well, we can really see what drives a person, his motivations, his aspirations, his fears, etc. etc. all while being a relatively "normal" man (Batman, Captain America).

They stop being interesting when someone ordinary is granted the power to destroy dimensions.

i agree, thats why i'm enjoying Daredevil and recently bought captain america only in trades.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.