What is your favorite underrated movie...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LindbergMTL
Yeah, what is your favorite movie that you think is the most underrated, ignored, underestimated masterpiece?

For me, it's Woody Allen's SLEEPER.

what a masterpiece. I saw that movie when I was 12 and it made me want to make movies.

A clarinet player who also runs a health food store is frozen and brought back in the future by anti-government radicals in order to assist them in their attempts to overthrow an oppressive government. When he goes off on his own, he begins to explore this brave new world that has Orgasmatron booths to replace sex and confessional robots.

Watch the movie and see how incredibly prophetic it was. In the movie, everybody is happy (as on prozac?) , the president is nothing but a cloned nose and a carefully controlled image (sounds familiar?) , and everybody is filed, except for Miles Monroe (Woody), and I could go on...

So funny, so brilliant... This film should be studied in film schools !

Luna Schlosser: Oh, I see. You don't believe in science, and you also don't believe that political systems work, and you don't believe in God, huh?
Miles Monroe: Right.
Luna Schlosser: So then, what do you believe in?
Miles Monroe: Sex and death - two things that come once in a lifetime... but at least after death, you're not nauseous.

What 's your underrated movie of all time ?

The Core
"Ginger Snaps", probably.

starwing
Andrew Niccol's 2005 movie titled The Lord of War, staring Nicolas Cage.

Quote from IMDb: An arms dealer (Cage) confronts the morality of his work as he is being chased by an Interpol agent (Hawke)

I enjoyed that movie a whole lot more than how I may have originally thought I would.

I also thought Ridley Scott's film Kingdom of Heaven was brilliant. However, it didn't do any business at all in the U.S. It did tremendous business overseas. I greatly love the film.

speiderman
cypher.

Dusty
TMNT

The Core
I don't think "Lord of War" was underrated. "TMNT", the live action, is a fun movie, and well liked. Not exactly "ratable", though.

starwing
I disagree: ask how many people have seen the Lord of War. The movie didn't make any money and disappeared from the movie house (and from our radar) very quickly. I say that makes it underrated. smile

Dusty
Originally posted by The Core
I don't think "Lord of War" was underrated. "TMNT", the live action, is a fun movie, and well liked. Not exactly "ratable", though.

It deserves a lot more than it gets. Critics thrash the hell out of this movie. The IMDB rating is in the dumps, and it's frowned upon by Rotten Tomato critics.

spidey-dude
badder santa

Mr Parker
Mine would be Shoot To Kill with Tom Beringer and Kirstey alley

WrathfulDwarf
The Boys Next Door with Charlie Sheen. Very Underrated and violent film from the 80's.

The Core
Originally posted by starwing
I disagree: ask how many people have seen the Lord of War. The movie didn't make any money and disappeared from the movie house (and from our radar) very quickly. I say that makes it underrated. smile

Eh. 30,000 people on IMDB.com have rated it, it grossed 50% over its budget, and stayed in theatres for a month and a half. It did well. I didn't particularly like it because it was too long, and didn't really "excite" me, as Nic Cage was miscast.

Originally posted by Dusty
It deserves a lot more than it gets. Critics thrash the hell out of this movie. The IMDB rating is in the dumps, and it's frowned upon by Rotten Tomato critics.

I know it's opinion and all, but this isn't really a movie critics can be "critical" of. It's dated, silly, and fun. The acting was over the top, it was guys in foam turtle suits, and really bad choreography. It's a movie lovers movie. I love it, the critics and whoever else can trash it all they want. I saw it in the theatres when it was released and like it to this day. Underappreciated, maybe, Underrated, no way.

They bash "UHF" too, but it's a work of parodical genius.

BackFire
May

Solo
Originally posted by starwing
Andrew Niccol's 1997 movie titled Gattaca, staring Ethan Hawke.
Yeah, I agree.

starwing
Eh. 30,000 people on IMDB.com have rated it, it grossed 50% over its budget, and stayed in theatres for a month and a half. It did well. I didn't particularly like it because it was too long, and didn't really "excite" me, as Nic Cage was miscast.
Box Office Total: $24,033,036 wink
Box Office Opening: $9,390,144
No. of Weeks in Top 10: 2
Highest Ranking: 3
Rotten Tomatoes critics approval 61%

Your opinion is that you didn't like it, some critics opinions are that they didn't like it, and the film didn't make much money at the box office. However, I enjoyed the film A LOT, and so I say it's underrated. That's the whole point of the subject of this thread.

manorastroman
gattaca's a good choice, and so's may. well...i don't know if may is underrated so much as underwatched.

payback (mel gibson) is a really solid movie...

DanZeke25
Four Brothers

Röland
Carlito's Way

doan_m
Equilibrium: Despite all the silly twirling.

=Tired Hiker=
A little foreign flick called "Suite 16"

manorastroman
three kings

§uffer§noopy
Gattaca.

The Core

Dusty

A ghetto version of "The Sons of Katie Elder" with 3 no name actors and a hot and cold A-Lister. It's got a limited target audience, and while I thought it was pretty good, it wasn'y anything that stood out, or that we haven't seen before in another gritty urban drama.

I found it to be a ghetto version of 'Young Guns'.

Dusty
Oh, and just to throw in one:

An HBO special with Ray Liotta called 'No Escape'.

manorastroman
that was an interesting film. the one with the island, right?

starwing
I know this, but it didn't perform as poorly as you think. Overseas gross is just as important.

Domestic performance against Foreign results is obviously what I'm referring to, and if you look at my second selection Kingdom of Heaven you'll see that I already established that assessment. Domestic failure weighed against overseas success may be part of the sign for me that a film may be underrated. So yes, I did know it did better (slightly) overseas.

It had a few things going against it. A) Being a politically driven movie and B) it debuting during the Holiday season.

And that, again, is why I say it's underrated. It was overlooked during the holiday season, and I liked the movie because it was partly politically driven (just like the brilliant Kingdom of Heaven).

Negative facts and opinions about the film only continues to support my opinion and position that I think the film is underrated. smile

Dusty
Originally posted by manorastroman
that was an interesting film. the one with the island, right?

Yep.

darthsecretus30
Originally posted by Dusty
Oh, and just to throw in one:

An HBO special with Ray Liotta called 'No Escape'.

I don't think that was an HBO special. I believe it was in the theaters back in the early 90's... that of course is if were talking about the same movie.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=501765

Scarecrow756
My favourite Underrated film is Alien 3: Special Edition.

DeVi| D0do
Mission: Impossible II

... What? confused

I liked Hulk too...

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Mission: Impossible II

... What? confused

I liked Hulk too...

I was just thinking about HULK today. I really liked that movie as well when most people hated it, and I mean HATED it. I also thought Mission Impossible II was awesome, the best of the MI movies for sure.

snowultra
dirty work--with that guy from snl

Strangelove
I agree with starwing. "Lord of War" was a very underrated and largely overlooked film, but Nicolas Cage had basically never been better.

ShinyKiller7
"What's Love Got To Do With It?" underrated, but incredible film!

manorastroman
"that thing you do!"

Myth
Four that come to mind are Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Arlington Road, and Dead Presidents.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by BackFire
May

I love MAY too
shame there is no soundtrack

ill go for Freddy Got Fingered or Rumblefish or Repo Man

Mr Parker
another really great film I just thought of that is higyly under rated is The Flight of the Intruder.

djois
heaven, the human stain, gattaca, sophie scholl, the life of david gale

Sweet Escape
My favorite underrated movie is Elektra.

ladygrim
Originally posted by BackFire
May laughing out loud i quite liked this movie

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Sweet Escape
My favorite underrated movie is Elektra.

yeah thats one of my favorites as well. thumb up

ragesRemorse
grandma's boy

Eis
Happy Together and In the Mood for Love.

bakerboy
Dont look now. One of the best horror movies of all time, but is criminally underrated.

SnakeEyes
The Faculty.

Wolfie
Agreeing with above choices:
May
Hulk
Elektra

And I also have to throw in License to Drive.

Cory Chaos
There are reasons why a film is "underrated", and by "reasons" I mean why "everyone thinks they suck".

EPIIIBITES
No not quite...it's just that they don't get the recognition they deserve for whatever reason. Lots of people still like 'em...but then again...lots don't.

Maybe it's a film that's a little ahead of it's time, or a film that's been overly criticized for one bad aspect (a poor lead performace)...but still has a lot of other worthwhile qualities.

-Blade got slammed by a lot of people when it came out...but it's a pretty solid film.

-The Shadow was a pretty slick lookin' movie...loved it...but there wasn't a lotta love from critics and fans though.

-The Passion (gulp) was underrated I thought...but also overrated. I thought it was just a cool-ass movie. No intro, no explanation, just a camera being dropped into Jerusalem 2000 years ago and showing what the heck happened in the last hours of some dudes life. No cheesy message, no "in your face" preaching...just a very raw, bare bones film that got knocked for it's controversy and the "extreme" violence (which is the point of the style of the movie...it's not your typical Sunday school Jesus flick that's gonna show one minute of lashing so it can switch to another scene to continue with the plot...there was no plot!)

smoker4
Originally posted by vintageSW77
I love MAY too
shame there is no soundtrack

ill go for Freddy Got Fingered or Rumblefish or Repo Man

Love those three, i remember first watching repo man and rumblefish when Alex Cox used to do the videodrome thing.

Also love The Omega Man for some strange reason?!?!

Mr Parker
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
No not quite...it's just that they don't get the recognition they deserve for whatever reason.

very good point.There have been some really great movies made before that are actually a lot better than many blockbusters out there but dont get the attention those films do because of that.There are countless number of documentary films out there that are very good films that are very much underrated because they dont get the marketing they deserve that a lot of these blockbuster films get that lots of people dont know about because of that.It amazes me how whenever there is a poll here about your favorite war movie,that film I mentioned previously-Flight of the Intruder is never mentioned in the polls and its shocking to me because that is such a great flick that was very well done but is highly under rated obviously.

bakerboy
Generally agree. I mean, there are a lot of blockbusters that are getting all the focus, and excellent and marvelous documentary films and indepedient and less knowed films doesnt get the buzz that they deserve. Im sick of great blockbusters, comic books adaptations, video games adaptations, tv series adaptations, fantasy films, remakes, etc( surely, there are great stuff on these things, but there are BETTER stuff in the less knowed films, and nobody is paying atention on that) getting all the focus and people criminally underrating some films because they arent so knowed or they bombed at the box office.

I mean, this year for example. All the focus in the man spider 3 movie, transformers, shrek 3, ghost rider, fantastic four 2, pirates of the caribbean 3, harry potter 5 and all that stuff. And amazing films like away from her, zodiac, road to reservation, in the valley of eliah, etc, doesnt get any atention, because the all the tennagers will go to see explotions, great robots, fx fights and all that stuff, and simple and touching stories or documentary movies doesnt mean a shit for them. Really sad.

But at least, in terms of prizes, those movies will get the atention than they deserved.

Solo
Originally posted by Eis
In the Mood for Love.
Underrated?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Cory Chaos
There are reasons why a film is "underrated", and by "reasons" I mean why "everyone thinks they suck".

everyone thought wizard of oz and its a wonderfull life sucked aswel

Today they among some of the most popular movies of all time. moral...People dont know what the hell they are talking about

exanda kane
The Punisher (the recent remake). I kid you not.

EPIIIBITES
Saw someone mention Freddy Got Fingered...definitely underrated.

I'm not making a personal recommendation of this film becasue I'd feel responsible for a piece of your soul rotting, but I think a lot of people fail to see the genius in it and write it off as crap "Scary Movie" fare.

A lot of the gags miss, most of them hit, but the classic performances by Green and Torn make it worth a second look...and a third...

"DING, DONG! DING, DONG!"

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
everyone thought wizard of oz and its a wonderfull life sucked aswel

Today they among some of the most popular movies of all time. moral...People dont know what the hell they are talking about
You can add Apocalypse Now and 2001: A Space Odyssey to that list too.

In those cases, films that were clearly ahead of their time.

Heaven's Sword
I thought White Noise was a pretty good movie; it was at least decent...but nobody else seems to think so.

EPIIIBITES
Phone Booth is another...underrated.

Not the greatest film, but not as bad as people made it out.

Eis
Originally posted by Solo
Underrated?
Very much so, I find it to be one of the greatest films ever done yet most people seem to think it's "one of those movies where nothing really happens."

vintageSW77
good to see Freddie Got Fingered get another nod
its far funnier than any of the shit weve had since apart from Borat and Team America

May is fantastic

Sweet Escape
Little Black Book.

I thought it was a really smart spin on the average Chick Flick. I was really surprised with the ending, I loved it.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Phone Booth is another...underrated.

Not the greatest film, but not as bad as people made it out.

disagree on that one.horrible film,extremely boring.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by bakerboy
Generally agree. I mean, there are a lot of blockbusters that are getting all the focus, and excellent and marvelous documentary films and indepedient and less knowed films doesnt get the buzz that they deserve. Im sick of great blockbusters, comic books adaptations, video games adaptations, tv series adaptations, fantasy films, remakes, etc( surely, there are great stuff on these things, but there are BETTER stuff in the less knowed films, and nobody is paying atention on that) getting all the focus and people criminally underrating some films because they arent so knowed or they bombed at the box office.

I mean, this year for example. All the focus in the man spider 3 movie, transformers, shrek 3, ghost rider, fantastic four 2, pirates of the caribbean 3, harry potter 5 and all that stuff. And amazing films like away from her, zodiac, road to reservation, in the valley of eliah, etc, doesnt get any atention, because the all the tennagers will go to see explotions, great robots, fx fights and all that stuff, and simple and touching stories or documentary movies doesnt mean a shit for them. Really sad.

But at least, in terms of prizes, those movies will get the atention than they deserved.

well said,good point..

ragesRemorse
just friends, idiocracy

Spartan005
Godzilla by far... I thought that movie was awesome, and Mathew Broderick is crazy

The Hawk
Deep Cover

And

Kingdom of Heaven

[Walkah]
Elektra

Mairuzu
Rescue dawn (which is out in theatres now)

Shawn of the dead (best movie ever made)

Equalibrium (i think someone mentioned this and they are right!)

bowfinger with steve martin i think thats what its called...

all in all, id have to say shawn of the dead is my #1 fav movie, i use to watch it everyday...no joke

Dresta
The Last Boy Scout

Nosada
Freddy Got Fingered. The world just isn't ready for Tom Green.

Mairuzu
Daddy would you like some sassage

Nosada
I just thought of another: Wendigo. My friends and I laughed throughout.

~LunaLoveG~
Hook. I mean it is well know but the critics beat the hell out of it. it is a really good movie honestly

Mairuzu
Broke back mountain

dsilva
I thought 'Phone Booth' was a brilliant movie............. different strokes for different folks. Also 'Run Lola Run' & 'Any Given Sunday.' were excellent.

miss_swann
I like "Goodnight Mister Tom" you won't have seen it if you live anywhere except the UK, it's a very good film, it has about every possible emotion and the casting is super, I've never understood how that little boy didn't go on to bigger things.

Nosada
I know it isn't really a movie, and certainly isn't underrated outside Sweden, but I think that more people should give Ingmar Bergman's Scenes from A Marriage a close review.

apoc001
The 'Burbs. I can't believe it failed at the box office. It's so good. Original comedy, well-planned photography, and a funny plot. This thing should've shot sky high!

xofaith
I loved Jersey Girl with Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler. It got horrible reviews and made very middle money, but I think it's a really sweet film with good morals. Also, A Lot Like Love with Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet. I don't remember it being a big hit in theaters but I absolutely loved it when I rented it!

ragesRemorse
i liked just married ^^^^

gregmss
The Frightners
The Faculty
Superman Returns (it kinda counts I think)
Hulk
The Producers (2005)

gregmss
oh and Jersey Girl

Clementine
The Chumscrubber - It got not so good reviews...Alot of people said it was just another American Beauty kind of movie, but I really liked it, except the part where the kid gets hit by the car...that was cheesey.

The Beach - I really loved this movie. I loved the book too, and usually you don't love both. I don't know why it wasn't more noticed/reviewed better, but I thought it was really good. Not award winning, sure, but still good.

edwinian
Originally posted by LindbergMTL
Yeah, what is your favorite movie that you think is the most underrated, ignored, underestimated masterpiece?

For me, it's Woody Allen's SLEEPER.

what a masterpiece. I saw that movie when I was 12 and it made me want to make movies.

A clarinet player who also runs a health food store is frozen and brought back in the future by anti-government radicals in order to assist them in their attempts to overthrow an oppressive government. When he goes off on his own, he begins to explore this brave new world that has Orgasmatron booths to replace sex and confessional robots.

Watch the movie and see how incredibly prophetic it was. In the movie, everybody is happy (as on prozac?) , the president is nothing but a cloned nose and a carefully controlled image (sounds familiar?) , and everybody is filed, except for Miles Monroe (Woody), and I could go on...

So funny, so brilliant... This film should be studied in film schools !

Luna Schlosser: Oh, I see. You don't believe in science, and you also don't believe that political systems work, and you don't believe in God, huh?
Miles Monroe: Right.
Luna Schlosser: So then, what do you believe in?
Miles Monroe: Sex and death - two things that come once in a lifetime... but at least after death, you're not nauseous.

What 's your underrated movie of all time ?

Sleeper! Great call. I worshiped that movie when I was little it made me cry laughing, and it still holds up. As much as I love Woody I'm going to go completely low bro here and turn the tables, I found a guilty pleasure called "Step Up" the dancing is great in it! Normally I wouldn't even look in a movie like this direction, but as a result I'm psyched for this second one coming out. This dude has moves...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPj1aa7AR94

Nordicdusk
Im adding an other maention for Freddy Got Fingered so so funny

Silverback
Frankenheimers "Seconds" with Rock Hudson is extremely underrated.

=Tired Hiker=
David Lynch's 'Wild At Heart.'

ragesRemorse
Rutgar haur's split second

Discos
probably Equilibrium

DoomsdayClock
For me it has to be Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (don't laugh)

That movie is just so much fun and one hell of a post-apocalyptic action movie.

~LunaLoveG~
The Rocketeer.

bee2
Lady in the Water
Tideland
A Prairie Home Companion

Menetnashté
there are tons. to name a few Firewall, 13th warrior and Quigley Down Under

yvonnekarate
I think Summertime from 1955 is an underrated film. Sweet, yet quite a sad film about love.

Regards, Yvonne

Bicnarok
Pitch Black

moonknight11
Godzilla, and Norbit

MildPossession
Nice call with Pitch Black Bicnarok, in my all time favourite science fiction films. The colourssssssssssss.

Good to hear that about The Chumscrubber, just bought that a few weeks ago, so should be watching it soon. It has a gorgeous dvd cover.

I also enjoyed The Beach, as well as the book(prefer the book obviously), only thing I couldn't stand in it was the bloody awful video game sequence.

Definitely underrated, agree with you.

Fantastic film, in my favourites from Lynch.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.