Discussion on fourth - wall breaking

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endless Mike
Many times in a debate people will say one character is stronger because they broke the fourth wall, and met/talked to/represented/beat up the authors.

However if you ask me this means nothing, as they're not really beating up the authors, just a fictional representation of the authors, and that representation is itself created and written by the real authors.

Juntai
Kind of a point I was making in another thread.
Also that "power of the writers so he's stronger" stuff is bullshit too.

Endless Mike
I agree, with that kind of argument you can say Deadpool beats cosmic beings because he's a fourth - wall breaker

TricksterPriest
It doesn't really mean shit in a fight unless they have some kind of knowledge that only a reader of the comic would. Like for example, that Daredevil's radar sense can easily be beaten by sonics. Something that's common knowledge to us, but not as well known in the comic itself. Although......if DP knows he's a comic book character, shouldn't he know shit like that? messed It boggles the mind. He does beat Cosmic beings in one thing, he's funnier and a better character than most of them. laughing

Lord Rock
By that, TOAA and Presence are the upperlimits of a fictional characterwink

willRules
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Although......if DP knows he's a comic book character, shouldn't he know shit like that? messed It boggles the mind. He does beat Cosmic beings in one thing, he's funnier and a better character than most of them. laughing

yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image: DeadpoolYellowBoxes.jpg

TricksterPriest
Ding. Hence, shouldn't DP know shit like Cap and Stark's real identities? After all, he knew Spidey was played by Tobey Maguire. stick out tongue

willRules
In the recap page of Cable and Deadpool's series he makes continual references to breaking the 4th wall related comic stuff but not in the main content of the issue so much erm

shksprtx
But is 4th-wall breaking an actual power, or just a quirky narrative device?

I'm personally inclined to go with quirky narrative device. Sure, there are characters for whom 4th-wall breaking is a regular and consistent happening, but there are other instances in which a character will have an isolated episode of it (off the top of my head, that happens to Manikin in Alpha Flight #66, vol. 1, though it may have been a manipulation by the Dreamqueen).

On the other hand, for characters like She-Hulk and Deadpool who have routinely broken the 4th-wall over a long period of time, it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that this ability is part of their powerset and should be allowed in debates.

Blight
Ambush Bug Rocks!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.