DUBs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AngryManatee
Is it just me, or do you ever see those cars or trucks with custom giant rims and a 1/2 inch of tire on them, and just wonder: "Did they pay more for the car or the rims?"

Badabing
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Is it just me, or do you ever see those cars or trucks with custom giant rims and a 1/2 inch of tire on them, and just wonder: "Did they pay more for the car or the rims?" The rims can range from under $1,000 (US) to well over $5,000 (US) depending on diameter, composition, brand, etc. So, I guess that people do have rims which cost more than their car. My friend has 22s on his car which adversely affects the ride and steering. Manufacturers even state that increasing wheel diameter isn't recommended because the suspension of cars were designed for the stock rims.

FistOfThe North
I'm not sure but does "Dub" means "10&10" or double or 20's and up?

Quiero Mota
Yep, dub means 20. If the rims are over 20 then theyre referred to by their exact size: Twenty-two's, twenty-four's etc.

The cost depends on the size, brand, and material of the shoes. The price for the really good ones is usually anywhere between 800 and 1200 bucks. I install them all the damn time.

FistOfThe North
So then just 20 inch rims are called Dubs. Ok.

I thought Dubs were any set of 20 inch rims and higher but your right. It is referred to by the inch size. And anything under 20's is refered to their exact smae sime too.

TRH
Its just you

Magee
Well most people with custom rims etc here usualy do up there cars and end up spending more on parts and stuff for the car than they did for it, i'm talking about mechanics I know who are able to do it them selves and it's kind of their hobby as well as job lol... Nothing wrong with spending more on parts and stuff for your car than the car it's self.

AngryManatee
seems kind of silly though if the car is a piece, which I have seen a lot of the time. I'm not bashing mechanics who tinker around with vehicles. I tinker with VW Type IV's myself, but you have to wonder when you see some old burnt out piece of 80's detroit iron running around with raised suspension and giant wheels.

The Core
I CAN'T LOSE WITH 22'S, *****....

...that's what's up..

smoker4
Church

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Is it just me, or do you ever see those cars or trucks with custom giant rims and a 1/2 inch of tire on them, and just wonder: "Did they pay more for the car or the rims?"

All the time....no kidding...everyday when I go outside...I see them...BIG and SHINNY!

Dreampanther
I'm more into bikes - but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to get those hubcab thingys that spin freely, so that they spin backwards when you go forwards...

... don't tell anybody I said that, though!

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Magee
Well most people with custom rims etc here usualy do up there cars and end up spending more on parts and stuff for the car than they did for it, i'm talking about mechanics I know who are able to do it them selves and it's kind of their hobby as well as job lol... Nothing wrong with spending more on parts and stuff for your car than the car it's self.

thumb up

Originally posted by Dreampanther
I'm more into bikes - but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to get those hubcab thingys that spin freely, so that they spin backwards when you go forwards...

... don't tell anybody I said that, though!

What kind of bike do you have? I have a '76 Harley Fatboy. Later this year or next year I plan on buying me a Road King; Black with red and chrome trim.

Dreampanther
Man, I wish I had the money for a Harley. I dream about owning a V-Rod...

I have a Kawasaki Ninja Gpz 900 R (1990) in absolutely mint condition. Everything about the bike is still original, and it has never been in an accident. I am only the third owner, and I am so proud of that bike - she is a 17-year old, 230 kilo big black girl, still faster than just about anything on the road except one of these brand-new superbikes.

I paid about R18 000 for her (which is about $2 500, I think) when the guy that owned her ran into financial difficulties and moved to a farm, and I have been offered twice that. She goes from 0 - 100 km/h (that's 0 - 60 mph) in about 3,5 seconds, and does 220, 240 km/h (about 150 mph) without a sweat - which I, personally, think is unbelievable for a 17-year old bike that is still in 100% original condition.

I really, REALLY love my bike - can you tell? stick out tongue

But I do hope that someday I can get the money together for a V-Rod... I stopped next to one the other day at a traffic light, and it was like watching Selma Hayek crossing the road... Gorgeous!

Quiero Mota
So you're a Kawasaki man?

As a motorcyle enthusiast, I despise crotch rockets; I'm all about choppers. But a '90 Ninja in mint condition is still a treasure.

Capt_Fantastic
I saw a guy crash on a motorcycle once. Does that qualify me to join the conversation?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I saw a guy crash on a motorcycle once. Does that qualify me to join the conversation?

Do you know anything about motorcycles, because that does.

RichardC
The correct terminology for dub is a 20" diameter wheel. However it can be used to describe almost any larger than stock aftermarket wheels.

Blaxican
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I saw a guy crash on a motorcycle once. Does that qualify me to join the conversation? laughing

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
So then just 20 inch rims are called Dubs. Ok.

I thought Dubs were any set of 20 inch rims and higher but your right. It is referred to by the inch size. And anything under 20's is refered to their exact smae sime too.
not really into the big rims. kind of gawdy looking.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.