Civil War: Comparable to JLU?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpunkySmurph
I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but, regardless, I'm making a thread about it.

Am I the only one that noticed how shockingly similair Marvel's Civil War and the Cadmus situation/Capes vs. Government theme that was ongoing in JLU are?

Essentially, they were nearly identical ideas, tainted and altered by the different, varying values and traditional conflicts of the two companies (Marvel and DC).

For Marvel, they gave it a sense of the Marvel brand of ongoing, ceaseless inner conflict (Everything from Captain America vs. Ironman, to Spiderman doubting himself, to Storm and the chieftans doubting her Wakandan priorities). You were supposed to be able to identify with both Cap and Tony, despite making Tony such a jackass.

For DC, they painted it with their typical style of traditional, clear-cut, black and white, good vs. evil conflict. This is shown in that Batman and Superman remained allies, while battling the ever-so-evil government, who sought to end the JLU, and was being puppeteered by an evil president with a hidden agenda.

In the case of DC, however, they changed their style towards the end. Heroes start turning themselves in, Supes has inner moral conflict, etc. Of course, this is all set straight when it turns out that Luthor is the real villain, as moral dillemas are too infrequent in the DCU for it to last.

Anyways, despite the above, the two themes within the show and the comic are starkingly alike. On a broader scale, they are both about approaches to deal with the potential meta-human threat. They both become "hero vs. government". They both discuss the morality of each side of it.

On a smaller scale:

CWmessedtarts with Hero-Villain conflict causing massive casualties
JLUmessedtarts with an alternate version of Heroes dominating people

CWmessedHIELD allies with the US government to institue a plan to register all heroes.
JLU:The US government organizes CADMUS to institue contingency plans to combat heroes

CW:Pro-reg clones Thor
JLU:CADMUS clones Supergirl

CW:Pro-reg recruits Captain Mar-vell, returned from the dead.
JLU:CADMUS recruits Doomsday, back from the dead.

CW:Pro-reg organizes the Thunderbolts, and forces the super-villains to becomes soldiers for them.
JLU:CADMUS organizes Task Force X (a.k.a. Suicide Squad) and feeds them explosive nanites, forcing the super-villains to work for them

CW:Creates super-teams, gives them identities similair to greek gods, to have a many more recruits.
JLU:Literally creates a super-team (Ultamen), and clones them to have a whole army of personal, made-from-scratch heroes

CW:Uses the Thunderbolts to take down rogue heros and puts them in the negative zone
JLU:Uses Task Force X to break into JLA headquarters and capture the Anhhilator

CWmessedpiderman was manipulated into joining Pro-reg, but only tmeporarily
JLU:Captain Atom was manipulated into joining the government, but only temporarily

CW:Captain America was labeled as a terrorist
JLUmesseduperman was inches away from killing a president

CW:The war ends when Captain America turns himself in
JLU:The war almost ends when all of the founding members of the JLU (except for Batman) turn themselves in

CW:Lex Luthor turned out to be manipulating it all
JLU:Tony Stark turned out to have risked a war just to fund it

And there are more after that.

Any thoughts?

Preferences between the war-bringing, conflict causing, direct, do-or-be-criminalized approach of CW and the under-handed, scheming, over-the-top contingency plans of the JLU?

Martian_mind
When i saw all the effort that went into that and the fact that no-one was responding,i lol'd and then responded out of pity.

I agree,they are similar.

Symmetric Chaos
Thats a pretty incredible analysis.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Martian_mind
When i saw all the effort that went into that and the fact that no-one was responding,i lol'd and then responded out of pity.

I agree,they are similar.

Meh.

It was about ten minutes of effort, it's only been fifteen minutes, and the forum's inactive right now, save a couple trolls.

I'm not exactly insulted. erm

Martian_mind
Yes you are

Your siting in your room,crying your eye's out whilst your mother keeps checking in on you taking advantage of your vulnerable state.

You sick bastard.

xmeat
hell yeah i noticed that from the start.

Symmetric Chaos
Yes you are

Your siting in your room,crying your eye's out whilst your mother keeps checking in on you taking advantage of your vulnerable state.

You sick bastard.

Mis mother is taking advantage of him sick

SpunkySmurph
Yes you are

You sick bastard.

huh

*closes blinds*

marvelprince
Some similarities yes, but the fundamentally they are different. At its core JLU was the heroes against the government while CW was hero against hero. In JLU the government was obviously supposed to be the bad guy but in CW its can be argued both sides were wrong.

Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Anyways, despite the above, the two themes within the show and the comic are starkingly alike. On a broader scale, they are both about approaches to deal with the potential meta-human threat. They both become "hero vs. government". They both discuss the morality of each side of it.

But at the heart of CW you had to ask whether you would sacrifice freedom for safety? JLU never raised such questions. In fact other than the episode with the Seven Soldiers I can't remember the civilians having any imput, and even then they were for the heroes

On a smaller scale:

CWmessedtarts with Hero-Villain conflict causing massive casualties
JLUmessedtarts with an alternate version of Heroes dominating people

How is that similiar?

CWmessedHIELD allies with the US government to institue a plan to register all heroes.
JLU:The US government organizes CADMUS to institue contingency plans to combat heroes

Yup.

CW:Pro-reg clones Thor
JLU:CADMUS clones Supergirl

Both have clones. Check

CW:Pro-reg recruits Captain Mar-vell, returned from the dead.
JLU:CADMUS recruits Doomsday, back from the dead.

Mar-Vell was a hero brought back from the past, not a monster cloned specifically to kill Superman.

CW:Pro-reg organizes the Thunderbolts, and forces the super-villains to becomes soldiers for them.
JLU:CADMUS organizes Task Force X (a.k.a. Suicide Squad) and feeds them explosive nanites, forcing the super-villains to work for them

This is a good one

CW:Creates super-teams, gives them identities similair to greek gods, to have a many more recruits.
JLU:Literally creates a super-team (Ultamen), and clones them to have a whole army of personal, made-from-scratch heroes

Another good one.

CW:Uses the Thunderbolts to take down rogue heros and puts them in the negative zone
JLU:Uses Task Force X to break into JLA headquarters and capture the Anhhilator

Thunderbolts are used to enforce the law, Task Force X breaks it

CWmessedpiderman was manipulated into joining Pro-reg, but only tmeporarily
JLU:Captain Atom was manipulated into joining the government, but only temporarily

I wouldn't say Spider-Man was manipulated, neither was Captain Atom. Spider-Man just made a mistake and Captain Atom blindly followed orders.

CW:Captain America was labeled as a terrorist
JLUmesseduperman was inches away from killing a president

Eh, I guess.

CW:The war ends when Captain America turns himself in
JLU:The war almost ends when all of the founding members of the JLU (except for Batman) turn themselves in

JLU war wasn't solved by surrender though

CW:Lex Luthor turned out to be manipulating it all
JLU:Tony Stark turned out to have risked a war just to fund it

I don't get this one

And there are more after that.

Go on. I'd like to hear the others

Any thoughts?

A couple. Main points of Civil War, other than hero vs hero was how the publics perception of heroes have shifted. It was the people who called for regulation and by extension the people who brought on the act, not the government. I liked your analysis and comparison, but it seems you really have to reach to make some of these connections

Preferences between the war-bringing, conflict causing, direct, do-or-be-criminalized approach of CW and the under-handed, scheming, over-the-top contingency plans of the JLU?

JLU was more a traditional story, good vs evil, etc. Its all about personal opinion but I prefered CW.

Superguy
JLU was, at the core, intended to be watchable for kid. Civil War is a more adult affair. You're not gonna get so much deep political input and slaughter. Interesting point though wink

willRules
I think the best similarity was that both were very interesting and enjoyable story lines yes

marvelprince
Originally posted by willRules
I think the best similarity was that both were very interesting and enjoyable story lines yes

Yay. How bout we agree to agree here?

Draco69
I found Civil War most comparable to Watchmen and Kingdom Come.

Superherovandal
excepto both of those were 100X better than Civil War with its myspace references and copout with Cap quitting.

Redatom65
Originally posted by Superguy
JLU was, at the core, intended to be watchable for kid. Civil War is a more adult affair. You're not gonna get so much deep political input and slaughter. Interesting point though wink

but the writing was childish and the core idea was from a chil'ds man shifty

willRules
Originally posted by marvelprince

Can't argue with that big grin

jumpmann
i thought civil war was just underwhelming from start to finish..whats that comparable to!

Devil Lance
they are simillar except

JLU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Civil War

yes

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Draco69
I found Civil War most comparable to Watchmen and Kingdom Come.
What the f**k?

in theme not in quality right? confused

Draco69
Of course.

yes

bigbran
Originally posted by xmeat
hell yeah i noticed that from the start. laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing

xmeat
Originally posted by bigbran
laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing whats funny

Devil Lance
whats funny

nothing, nothing at all shifty

Validus
whats funny
Bigbran basically just called you a dumbass.

xmeat
Originally posted by Validus
Bigbran basically just called you a dumbass. why

Validus
why
You can either calmly ask him or just flame him back. I recommend the latter since it's more entertaining for me.

willRules
laughing

Galan007
Originally posted by Draco69
I found Civil War most comparable to Watchmen and Kingdom Come. Yeah, what was occurring in the story was a bit CW-esk....

But Watchmen/KC were far superior to CW as far as the actual storyline goes IMO.

WrathfulDwarf
Superhero registrations storylines will always flop.

willRules
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Superhero registrations storylines will always flop.

I disagree, I enjoyed Civil War and JLU episodes with it's government related issues. Batman and GA had an interesting role in those storylines as well seeing as they could account for the powerless aspects of the superherodom yes

Scoobless
Originally posted by marvelprince

I don't agree to that.

no expression

marvelprince
Originally posted by Scoobless
I don't agree to that.

no expression

So then we jus agree in our disagreement?

no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.