Warhammer 40,000 MMO

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardiel13
It's official. THQ and Vigil Games are developing a MMO based in the Warhammer 40K universe. Any thoughts?

doan_m
As long as its not an RPG type game, I'm fine, although even if they do, it would still be too early to judge.

Burning thought
how can it not be an RPG, unless its an FPS and i doubt it would be that good since it would be too similiar to the gaming giants such as Unreal Tournemant 3, id like a RPG version of 40k where you can gain items and stuff, gain reputation with certain chapels as the space marines or rep to the Dark gods as Chaos

doan_m
^It should not be an RPG for the following reasons: It's absurd to even think that there would be necrons in a tavern talking about how they managed to lvl thier stats up so that they can Golgorouth the annihilator. Thier are only a few settings in 40k that can work in RPG mode but does not truly display the hell hole universe that is the nature of 40k:
-Rogue trader setting allows you to play and maintain a spaceship and allows you to trade xenotech with other races and customize your ship with all kinds of technobabble. The problem with this setting is that most of this is centralized in space and does not bring you to the high point of a 40k warship game which really is in the battlefleet gothic settings.
-Playing as an Inquisitor makes sense too since each inquisitor follows thier own different paths in there respects but there is so much absurdity in thinking that there would be over 50,000 (exagerateed estimate) inquisitors running all over the galaxy. And it would even be more so absurd to think that there would be 500,000 inquisitors running around the galaxy purging the heretics. Also the problem with this setting is that inquisitors do not put focuses on battling Xenos and lets face it 40k fans also love thieir filthy xenos.
If a WH40k MMO were to take place, it has to truly exemplify the WAR in warhammer 40,000

doan_m
Originally posted by Burning thought
how can it not be an RPG, unless its an FPS and i doubt it would be that good since it would be too similiar to the gaming giants such as Unreal Tournemant 3,
Huxley is in the works and its considered to be an MMOFPS. I'm not however asking it to be FPS directly. I just dont want it to be RPG

See now, thats the problem with an RPG game in the 40k setting already places itself. The early ages of training a Space Marine are spent in the early years of a marines life within the confines of a deathworld with harsh environments that would otherwise kill a normal man. Training takes place in extensive years between the ages of 10 to 20 and many cadets are expected to die. During these years a marine is not allowed to hoard many possessions to himself, which presents the first problem as such an MMORPG would go against the fluff. I also seriously doubt anyone playing such a game wants to be confined to a single world where they can't get off the world until thier character hits around 17-18 years old playing around as scouts for the marines. And that brings me to my second point. An MMORPG gives you the freedom of going in and out of groups and doing whatever the hell you want wherever you want. The life of a marine does not allow that as they are confined in thier chapters and told to obey thier chapter masters. It is always required that in any given battle, a marine travels in groups whenever given a mission. Which brings me to my next point. I doubt space marines can choose to decline a given quest or task at will or start it up whenever they feel like it which again would go against fluff were they to make it RPG.

But what about Chaos? Chaos are fried as it is. Your even worse being a slave to Lord knows what kind of mad hatter daemon that rest in the insanity of the Immaterium. There is that sense of independence for just a bit but your still bound to your masters in the confines of the warp. Being A Chaos Marine, you cannot exit the warp at will unless you consult your Lord, to release you back into reality. And when they do release you, its not like its a parent sending away his kid to college; the daemon will release you under the circumstances that you are obeying his demands and doing what he wants you to which is obviously to spread the freaking word of chaos to as many worlds as possible. Fail that and its back in the Immaterium with you into the Basilica of Suffering(if your lucky enough). Not everyone is entitled to such freedom as well, some have to have started in a more prominent position before falling prey to chaos. For example in the Horus Heresy, Eliphas was a marine sargent(a good position to start) and over the course of thousands of years finally became a Lord of his own chapter. Normal marines are subjected to servitude and used as tool, in the ultimate end, there bodies will be doomed to daemonhood.

In the end, its all about an RPG going against the fluff of 40k.

Burning thought
Originally posted by doan_m
Huxley is in the works and its considered to be an MMOFPS. I'm not however asking it to be FPS directly. I just dont want it to be RPG

See now, thats the problem with an RPG game in the 40k setting already places itself. The early ages of training a Space Marine are spent in the early years of a marines life within the confines of a deathworld with harsh environments that would otherwise kill a normal man. Training takes place in extensive years between the ages of 10 to 20 and many cadets are expected to die. During these years a marine is not allowed to hoard many possessions to himself, which presents the first problem as such an MMORPG would go against the fluff. I also seriously doubt anyone playing such a game wants to be confined to a single world where they can't get off the world until thier character hits around 17-18 years old playing around as scouts for the marines. And that brings me to my second point. An MMORPG gives you the freedom of going in and out of groups and doing whatever the hell you want wherever you want. The life of a marine does not allow that as they are confined in thier chapters and told to obey thier chapter masters. It is always required that in any given battle, a marine travels in groups whenever given a mission. Which brings me to my next point. I doubt space marines can choose to decline a given quest or task at will or start it up whenever they feel like it which again would go against fluff were they to make it RPG.

But what about Chaos? Chaos are fried as it is. Your even worse being a slave to Lord knows what kind of mad hatter daemon that rest in the insanity of the Immaterium. There is that sense of independence for just a bit but your still bound to your masters in the confines of the warp. Being A Chaos Marine, you cannot exit the warp at will unless you consult your Lord, to release you back into reality. And when they do release you, its not like its a parent sending away his kid to college; the daemon will release you under the circumstances that you are obeying his demands and doing what he wants you to which is obviously to spread the freaking word of chaos to as many worlds as possible. Fail that and its back in the Immaterium with you into the Basilica of Suffering(if your lucky enough). Not everyone is entitled to such freedom as well, some have to have started in a more prominent position before falling prey to chaos. For example in the Horus Heresy, Eliphas was a marine sargent(a good position to start) and over the course of thousands of years finally became a Lord of his own chapter. Normal marines are subjected to servitude and used as tool, in the ultimate end, there bodies will be doomed to daemonhood.

In the end, its all about an RPG going against the fluff of 40k.

how else would an MMO warhammer game play like...it has to be RPG..even if they mess the rules up a little, how else would you play an MMO warhammer game?
the designers would simply have to make up some sort of plan of how your character has broken free from his constraints, players (most) wouldnt want to be confined to only doing a certain number of things, rules would have to be broken...

the only other way a MMO warhamemr game could go is perhaps like Battlefield games, but personally i wouldnt call them MMO, their more online multiplayer, not massively multiplayer, i see massivey multiplayer as a world where you would live and do battle in..but as you say you would be in constraints if they followed the path of warhamemr, so they would have to bend the rules..also you could probably very easily mod unreal tounrment to recreate that sort of experiance, a whole game based on Warhamemr but near enough the same as Unreal or Battlefield would be too much the same stuff

Spidervlad
Dude, their not going to take Warhammer 40,000 completely and put it into an MMORPG. Efcourse they will maybe bend a few rules or so, but they could make it Guild Wars like, where you can stay at a town or place in which you can safely log out, log back in, and make a group and start a mission. Except maybe, for each type of race there is a different continent, or world. And maybe when you get to a certain amount of rep with your race, they will allow you to visit another races continent wink There will also be wars between different kinds of races, where players will KOS and etc..

doan_m
Originally posted by Burning thought
how else would an MMO warhammer game play like...it has to be RPG.

General tweaks I can understand,(i.e. bolters in DoW not turning humans into a splurge of guts) but the points that I pointed out are extremely integral parts of fluff that should never be contradicted which may happen when an RPG type game would be developed.

And there lies the very first bottleneck. All fluff when it comes to making a Warhammer game has to be approved by the Overlords of GW who makes sure that it adheres to the fluff as much as possible. If such a restraint did not exist, then said MMO would be no-restraints and the fluff would be splattered all over the place.

Rules don't have to be broken but it still has to be plausible according to the fluff. Look at Warhammer: Online, GW approved and such. Its an MMORPG but as an RPG it's still plausible to fluff and the idea of teamwork in PvP realms.

doan_m
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Dude, their not going to take Warhammer 40,000 completely and put it into an MMORPG.
No game takes the entirety of a sci-fi universe into a game, but most of the games represent their respective universes very well enough without making any real fractures in the fluff. The problem with WH40k is that an RPG setting that will attempt to portray said universe may in all likelihood bend some glaring rules. What I am saying is that an MMORPG can be done, but only if it centralizes on a specific aspect of 40k like Necromunda where your a gang member in a hive city trying to stay alive, or an inquisitor game where you play as an Inquisitor.

Most likely the races are going to be mudslinging high velocity monomolecular bullets at each other in an interplantery warfare scene(such evidence points to the ending cutscene of the Dark Crusade campaign)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.