marvel cartoons vs DC cartoons

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmeat
which were better?

remember marvel we have
spiderman
hulk
xmen
silver surfer

DC:
batman
superman
superfriends
JLU

Draco69
DC by far. The only good cartoons Marvel had were X-Men and Spider-Man (kinda, it had its moments...)

But DC set the standard for comic cartoons. Especially Batman.

Plus they had Batman Beyond so DC in curbstomp...

stick out tongue

Symmetric Chaos
DC wins JLU could crush all of the other ones solo.

xmeat
hulk and silver surfer were good.

Draco69
No they weren't. That's why they were canceled after a season or three episodes....

Or they were shifted to stations no one's ever heard of. Like UPN.

Oh yes I did!

Devil Lance
Originally posted by xmeat
hulk and silver surfer were good.
yeah but BTAS, BB, and JLU were great wink

batdude123
BTAS and JLU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any Marvel cartoon

xmeat
Originally posted by Draco69
No they weren't. That's why they were canceled after a season or three episodes....

Or they were shifted to stations no one's ever heard of. Like UPN.

Oh yes I did! surfer wasn't cancelled marvel went bankrupt and couldn't afford another season.
Hulk started good til they brought she hulk.

Draco69
surfer wasn't cancelled marvel went bankrupt and couldn't afford another season.
Hulk started good til they brought she hulk.

No. Marvel's bankruptcy had nothing to do with it. It was being produced by a television company...who wasn't bankrupt. Marvel just gave them permission to make it.

Hulk was terrible. Every episode had no substance.

Draco69
We should give props to X-Men though. It was the only good Marvel cartoon.

Even today I still use the animated Rogue, Wolverine and Storm's voices when I read their dialogue.

masterbruce
Batman TAS was the BEST American cartoon series ever...I have the entire collection on my harddrive

Hercules
Surfer got canceled after 13 episodes, they actually had the next 8 already written.

JLU for me means DC cartoons win hands down!

batdude123
No. Marvel's bankruptcy had nothing to do with it. It was being produced by a television company...who wasn't bankrupt. Marvel just gave them permission to make it.

Hulk was terrible. Every episode had no substance.

Draco... go to the Xavier vs. J'onn thread. no expression

masterbruce
Marvel's shows weren't too shabby either:

I liked:

X-Men, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and Hulk

never saw Surfer

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by masterbruce
Batman TAS was the BEST American cartoon series ever...I have the entire collection on my harddrive

mad NO JLU WAS TEH MOST AWSOME mad

You know its true stick out tongue

Magee
Silver Surfer was so god damn bad and Hulk was just that little bit better. I loved Spiderman: TAS and the xmen was good to. But DC win this for me, Superman and batman the animated series as well as JLU and Batman Beyond. Watching the Spidey, Supes and Batman cartoons is what got me in to comics.

masterbruce
JLU is for kids

Batman TAS was for adults

if you want action, JLU wins. if you want great character development and plot, Batman wins hands down.

Hercules
JLU is for kids

Batman TAS was for adults

if you want action, JLU wins. if you want great character development and plot, Batman wins hands down.

Well, I'm just a big kid at heart, forget plot, lets break some s**t and blow stuff up! stick out tongue

Ptr_Grifin
I liked JLA, but not so much of the JLU. There were to many strange characters in it. I really like the Batman cartoon, and X-men, and Spider-man. Superman was okay for me.

Juntai
Batman the Animated Series ftw.

xmeat
i will agree animated surfer was pathetically weak and beta ray bils and thanos voice were horrible.

xmeat
am i right

Redatom65
most of marvel's shows didn't last long i'm afraid. X-men ranks up there with the best. But Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and company have delivered us quality after quality. DC's shows are superior because of the number of quality shows over marvels. X-men is top 3 but Batman and Justice League are better

TricksterPriest
The Xmen show nowadays doesn't hold much appeal for me. Except for Apoc, most of the villains were idiots. Magneto was hit and miss.

JLU was actually alot better than I thought it would be. Spectacular voicework, especially on the big 7, Luthor and Darkseid.

BTAS was the gold standard for super hero cartoons. No series has had the kind of spectacular art, voice and plot work that it had. Ra's Al Ghul, Scarecrow, Joker, Penguin, everyone was brilliantly voiced.

guy222
which were better?

remember marvel we have
spiderman
hulk
xmen
silver surfer

DC:
batman
superman
superfriends
JLU

marvel

nvrbeenwthagirl
The Xmen of the 90's was one of the best super hero cartoons of all time. ONly surpassed by the JLU.

Badabing
IMO, the 90's Marvel cartoons were very good but not as good as Batman TAS, The Justice League and JLU.

Magee
The only good Marvel cartoons imo are Spiderman (Secret wars was orgasmic thinking back on it now) and The X-men. However I really do like the recent Ult Avengers cartoons but the Justice League Series has to be my favourite comic cartoon. As already said Marvel have come up with to many really crappy series, just to name a few Iron man, silver surfer, THE AVENGERS LOLOL how crap was that it didn't even have cap thor or iron man rofl and of course xmen evo.

Redatom65
i never saw the hulk show

the surfer show was bad.

The spiderman show. Spiderman wasn't sallowed to punch!\

x-men was gold

~~~~~

Batman The god of comic shows hands down

Superman home run. We all love time daly and clancy brown

Superfriends....batmna beyond should be there instead but to campy was the superfriends

Justice League. Amazing

Faceman
Marvel's shows weren't too shabby either:

I liked:

X-Men, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and Hulk

never saw Surfer Go to youtube, they have every episode ever made....

Devil Lance
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
The Xmen of the 90's was one of the best super hero cartoons of all time. ONly surpassed by the JLU.

BTAS > X-men

jrodslam
Am i the only who thinks X-Men Evolution was good? Why isnt that on the list? Same for Iron Man.

TricksterPriest
Not the Xmen one. sad The fifth season hasn't been released anywhere. They do have most of the eps, but not all of them.

emporerpants
JLU = orgasmic pleasure

Redatom65
x-men evo. got pulled by warner brothers right when apocalypse showed his face. it did begin getting good

Faceman
DC, better cartoons, Marvel better movies....

emporerpants
isn't the last season of JLU coming out on dvd this month?

Redatom65
along with the final season of batman beyond. that will complete the Bruce Timm series. :-( so sad

freezedoom
DC's cartoons are better than Marvel's. huh Why?
Because the DC cartoons last more than an year and
are loved by everyone. big grin big grin

nvrbeenwthagirl
DC is about to release some new Justice league episodes str8 to dvd. I cannot wait.

dvampire
The new Batman cartoon on WB is good!

Magee
That new batman series is for kiddies, it really is not worth mentioning imo, much like krypto the superdog lol.

Badabing
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
DC is about to release some new Justice league episodes str8 to dvd. I cannot wait. Do you have a link with this information?

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Badabing
Do you have a link with this information?

here you go
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=103726

xmeat
did anyone see that horrible new fantastic four cartoon on cartoon network that got cancelled after 6 episodes.

Badabing
Originally posted by Devil Lance
here you go
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=103726 Thank you. cool
did anyone see that horrible new fantastic four cartoon on cartoon network that got cancelled after 6 episodes. Yes. The series had it's moments but didn't come close to living up to the hype.

xmeat
Originally posted by Devil Lance
here you go
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=103726 is dc trying to be like marvel with the ultimate avengers and iron man DVD.

Oh cant wait for the doctor strange one.

xmeat
is dc trying to be like marvel with the ultimate avengers and iron man DVD.

Oh cant wait for the doctor strange one. bump

spidey-dude
DC by far. The only good cartoons Marvel had were X-Men and Spider-Man (kinda, it had its moments...)

But DC set the standard for comic cartoons. Especially Batman.

Plus they had Batman Beyond so DC in curbstomp...

stick out tongue awww let me guess you chose justice league of america best cartoon right ? laughing

Badabing
bump Hmm, 19 minutes and already a bump. nutnut

xmeat
Originally posted by Badabing
Hmm, 19 minutes and already a bump. nutnut just wanted a answer

Badabing
The popular opinion is that DC's cartoons are better than Marvel's cartoons and I agree. bunny

psycho gundam
X-MEN had the some good voice acting and sort of stayed true to the comic.

Plus it had APOCALYPSE!

psycho gundam
Origional X_MEN pwns superfriends

Kazenji
Marvel ones since i've only seen one DC cartoon which was the batman one

Trolt
Alright here is a list

1)Spiderman/Xmen TAS had some of the most solid/endearing voice acting for a comic series, so much that reading them you imagine their voice. Note that the JLU is good, but lacks having a STRONG theme music to always tie in to the character. For example.. everytime the Rhino appears..he has his little theme music jingle...same with vulture and crew. JLU does not have this, and sometimes has a blank background. Spider-Man TAS almost ALWAYS has some background music playing. Also, due to the "corniness" or the diverseity of the characters.. the slight overacting of the voice actors in X-Men/Spider Man are much captivating and memorable (Hey it's a comic book , so overact a bit!) I mean the Marvel-superheros games from Capcom used those same voice actors..to help cement the voices to the characters. Cal Dodd owns Wolverine's role..so watching the X-movies was weird (dont wanna take away from jackman)

2) Action wise..considering how Fox had ABSURD restrictions on spider-man (he was NOT allowed to punch) compared to the punch-fest between captain marvel and superman, JLU CLEARLY had the better animation... seems to run at a MUCH higher frame rate. Bruce Timm's simplistic (but still good) designs allowed for this..while trying to always animate spider-man with his webbing pattern on his suit must have been a bother. This is why characters with beam attacks (iron man) could just extend and arm and shoot out lazers for "action" ...while JLU could do much more elaborate scraps.

BTAS and spiderman have REALLY good character development, but i feel Xmen has a slightly better development than JLU (maybe because after 2nd season they featured so many other characters)

Obviously now i'd rather watch JLU, but as a kid you couldn't pry me away from Spiderman.

X-Men Evolution (under WB..which is ironically tied with DC) to me was painful to watch so i never got into it (No action..just teenage-drama).

Martian_mind
Quick draw Mgraw come's in and pwns them all.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Trolt
Alright here is a list

1)Spiderman/Xmen TAS had some of the most solid/endearing voice acting for a comic series, so much that reading them you imagine their voice. Note that the JLU is good, but lacks having a STRONG theme music to always tie in to the character. For example.. everytime the Rhino appears..he has his little theme music jingle...same with vulture and crew. JLU does not have this, and sometimes has a blank background. Spider-Man TAS almost ALWAYS has some background music playing. Also, due to the "corniness" or the diverseity of the characters.. the slight overacting of the voice actors in X-Men/Spider Man are much captivating and memorable (Hey it's a comic book , so overact a bit!) I mean the Marvel-superheros games from Capcom used those same voice actors..to help cement the voices to the characters. Cal Dodd owns Wolverine's role..so watching the X-movies was weird (dont wanna take away from jackman)

2) Action wise..considering how Fox had ABSURD restrictions on spider-man (he was NOT allowed to punch) compared to the punch-fest between captain marvel and superman, JLU CLEARLY had the better animation... seems to run at a MUCH higher frame rate. Bruce Timm's simplistic (but still good) designs allowed for this..while trying to always animate spider-man with his webbing pattern on his suit must have been a bother. This is why characters with beam attacks (iron man) could just extend and arm and shoot out lazers for "action" ...while JLU could do much more elaborate scraps.

BTAS and spiderman have REALLY good character development, but i feel Xmen has a slightly better development than JLU (maybe because after 2nd season they featured so many other characters)

Obviously now i'd rather watch JLU, but as a kid you couldn't pry me away from Spiderman.

X-Men Evolution (under WB..which is ironically tied with DC) to me was painful to watch so i never got into it (No action..just teenage-drama).

1. I agree most of the characters were well-acted and indeed, very true to their comic book selves, but there was a certain ideology being forced on the viewers. As everyone knows, the whole mutants idea is a code word for gays, similar to the Legacy virus being a not-so-subtle reference to HIV/AIDS. I felt they forced that idea down our throats more in the animated series than in the comic books. Of all the characters, Sinister was the only one who I think didn't quite match his comic book counterpart. I've always had the impression of the victorian aristocratic madman, not the creepy guy with the sharp teeth. Guys like Apoc, Mags, Sabretooth, even bit players like Omega Red were well characterized and shown as people. Super powered and sometimes crazy people, but people.

2. OHHHHHHHH. That explains alot. I was wondering why there were so many explosions and so few punches. laughing Agreed, JLU had the best super powered fights. I actually liked the rotating roster, it even brought obscure guys like The Question, Huntress, Black Canary and others, back to the limelight for a new generation of comic readers. The villains were fun as well. Grodd was particularly surprising. Especially the beastiality element, that was funny as hell. laughing Darkseid, as he rightfully should, dominated the stage in his scenes.

3. Spiderman's character development is a joke compared to BTAS. Even JLU wasn't that good in character development. The only thing I hated about Xmen-TAS, was that they ended it just as the series was really big and about to hit it's sixth season.

4. Xmen: Evolution was a joke. Piss poor writing, bad character development, too much teenage angst, and a lousy ending. A few of the costume designs were interesting though.

hmm Shit, that was a long rant. Oh well. G'night folks.

Evil_Ash
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Of all the characters, Sinister was the only one who I think didn't quite match his comic book counterpart. I've always had the impression of the victorian aristocratic madman, not the creepy guy with the sharp teeth.

I thought Sinister was better handled in the animated series. His origin was better in the animated series.

His ultimate goal was made more clear than in the comics. Sinister wants, what? The destruction of Apocalypse? More DNA?

Animated Sinister's was simple - to create a new breed of superior mutants in his own image to populate the future.

Sinister in the comics also seems to be just evil for the shake of it.

Sinister: Hey, Scott remember that nail you found yesterday in your shoe?

Cyclops: And it still hurts. What about it?

Sinister: I put it there!!!!

Cyclops: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guy222
Originally posted by Evil_Ash
I thought Sinister was better handled in the animated series. His origin was better in the animated series.

His ultimate goal was made more clear than in the comics. Sinister wants, what? The destruction of Apocalypse? More DNA?

Animated Sinister's was simple - to create a new breed of superior mutants in his own image to populate the future.

Sinister in the comics also seems to be just evil for the shake of it.

Sinister: Hey, Scott remember that nail you found yesterday in your shoe?

Cyclops: And it still hurts. What about it?

Sinister: I put it there!!!!

Cyclops: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvel

grey fox
There are a few were overlooking.

Ironman - While the first season was cheesy (the scene of The Mandarin kicking Blizzard in the face for 'freezing his petunias' comes to mind) it only started getting awesome in it's season finale and then second season onwards.

Fantastic Four - Similar to Iron-man in that it sucked until lt's second season . Had a VERY awesome voice actor for Doctor Doom who DIDN'T have a stupid 'fake accent'.

Big Sexy
Favorite by far was X-men TAS
2nd was Justice league
Spiderman was awesome especially because of the secret wars, the black costume saga.
Batman didn't do it for me. I thought it was a great show but not number 1. Probably my fourth favorite. Spawns also worthy of a mention

TricksterPriest
Let's not bring Spawn into this. We all know the HBO Spawn series kicks the ass of every program here combined. stick out tongue

Bouboumaster
X-Men and Spider-Man 4 he win.

Oh, and Superman stories sucks!

Deathstroke
DC has better toons. BTAS and JLU are tough to beat. Slade, voiced by Ron Perlman, on Teen Titans was awesome too.

Does anyone watch the Superman and the Legion of Superheroes cartoon?

Superherovandal
DC pwns Marvel when it comes to animated shows. Marvel had what X-man and some of Spider-man. But DC delivered solid with it all and then some magnificent with Batman and JLU. Batman Beyond was solid. i mean DC shows led to the creation of great characters for the comics like Harley and Terry (kinda) and it stories were just more epic and great.

Evil_Ash
DC animation is overrated. stick out tongue

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/03.jpg

TricksterPriest
http://www.cartoondepot.com/pages/img/misc/pc/spawn/potbelly.jpg http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/uploads/DustyAbell/2005-03-01_011844_spawnpinup_lttrbx_email_byrne.jpg

Spawn owns your asses. stick out tongue

grey fox
Originally posted by Deathstroke
DC has better toons. BTAS and JLU are tough to beat. Slade, voiced by Ron Perlman, on Teen Titans was awesome too.

Does anyone watch the Superman and the Legion of Superheroes cartoon?

Seen a few episodes. It's...meh. I liked episode 1 because it showed a smallvile style Clark who was struggling with his powers, then it just went and gave him goddamn mastery over them. No actual 'developemnt' just 'Wham insta-cotnrol'.

xmeat
anyone notice how superman and batman shoulders in JLu were massively big as well as the big chin.

Redatom65
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
http://www.cartoondepot.com/pages/img/misc/pc/spawn/potbelly.jpg http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/uploads/DustyAbell/2005-03-01_011844_spawnpinup_lttrbx_email_byrne.jpg

Spawn owns your asses. stick out tongue

The original Batman show is a far more superior show. i'm ashamed of you trickster no

spidey-dude
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9199/juggernautvswolverineex9.jpg

Wolverine2006
I like Marvel comics more...but DC's cartoons are way better than marvel's...and marvel has x-men: evolution, Fantastic 4, and the new Fantastic 4 not that it would really matter

Redatom65
the new fanstastic 4 = The Batman sick

Wolverine2006
Ya DC should've kept makin cartoons like JLU....THe Flash would've been cool, or Green Lantern....Lobo would've also have been awesome.

Redatom65
well th guy who made the batman, and the legion of superheroes aren't by the same guys and it shows

Wolverine2006
I can tell...the artist sucks and so does the writer

xmeat
i will agree animated surfer was pathetically weak and beta ray bils and thanos voice were horrible.

Symmetric Chaos
Why bump this? We've been over it.

DC destroys Marvel in this.

Bentley
Come on, don't forget about Spiderman and his amazing frieds, that was a keeper back in the day.

Mindship
DC, not just animation but also storytelling. Hell, Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JL and JLU are what drew me into DC comics, when I used to be exclusively a Marvel fan.

Evil_Ash
Originally posted by Mindship
DC, not just animation but also storytelling. Hell, Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JL and JLU are what drew me into DC comics, when I used to be exclusively a Marvel fan.

Same here.

But I honestly always feelt that if the DCU was written like the Bruce Timm universe it would be far more enjoyable.

One of the things I particularly enjoy more with DCAU than the actual comics, is that the continuity is relatively easier to understand.

DigiMark007
Spider-Man TAS is the reason I'm a Spidey fan. Long before I even owned a comic, that got me into it....and I naturally liked it better than X-Men (which was also good).

Recently, I'm loving JLU, which wins hands-down over everything. I'm not even a JLA fan in comics, but I love the series.

Evil_Ash

Symmetric Chaos

Scoobless
Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

Especially the intro music.

yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQwNwQIY73U

Interesting (sort of) sidenote, Firestar is one of the few comic characters whose first appearance wase outside of regular comic continuity (she was in this cartoon way before she was ever in any comic)

smile

horrorwolf
http://www.sourimage.com/img/19683239ac97353b3f2cbded178b3d1a/bjcry.jpg

Scoobless
Give this a look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4BPUQh0m0&mode=related&search=

Evil_Ash
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I like where that scene is going.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/raptime.png

Scoobless
pmuB

Pyron_Knight
Tony Jay Galactus WTFOMGRAPEstomps DC.
The guy was a voice-acting God among men.

VeT5SND1FAM

cloud102
DC! X-Men is the only contendar to Batman TAS. I also liked the old Hulk cartoons, but DC still takes the edge.

Placidity
I really liked Batman, Spiderman and X-men back then. More recently, JL and JLU is pretty cool aswell, but its kinda toned down abit more the the kids.

Overall, I liked Batman and X-men the most.

Priest
0xyDyDfOlHc

Placidity
X-men definately had the best theme-song/ opening though!

Oh man, the part where near the end, the heroes and villains are running towards each other, then the words "X-men" pop up with electricity running across it...

Batman comes in a close second.

Then Spiderman>JL>JLU

*I'm talking abt theme songs/openings*

Ouallada
DC has the edge on this in terms of the various toon dramas that they had. BTAS and the JL series were both absolutely fantastic. I particularly liked season 4 of JL for the watchmen elements. DC seems to have less bombs as well. Their lesser toons, teen titans/legion of superheroes/the batman are still quality when compared with Marvel's equivalents.

Marvel's best series has to be the x-men series, and I would put it right up there with JL and BTAS. Its last episode was absolutely monumental, in my opinion. Spiderman TAS was pretty good too, in that the show had a particular gravitas to it, but failed to balance that with the lighthearted portions of Spiderman's character. Its handling of villains was excellent, though.

Marvel DOES have the Spectacular Spiderman series though, which is not only true to the source material and character, but has so many blink-and-you-miss-it touches that allude to the difficult choices that Spiderman had to make and the ramifications, as well as the fallibility of the character. The show also had major cajones in pairing Pete with Gwen instead of MJ. If they follow up by actually killing Gwen off, that would further illustrate the series' willingness to break norms, and cement its budding greatness.

Spectacular spiderman is very arguably the best ongoing toon right now, save avatar.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.