Do people even read the comics or use respect threads to debate.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

crimsonphoenix
I payed Digi off with ice cream to keep this open.( If it is in your heart to keep this thread open for like a couple days, then give it your wrath.) Happy Dance

I am wondering on how many people read the comic(Or even have most of the comics) while they debate, I think people are just looking through the respect threads or go by what others say. I was reading before on some guy using thor examples of power; when it was a clone confused Now, if he had the issue/read, he would of saw him saying "I am clone thor".

Answer the following questions( If you don't, a fat man will have sex with you eek! )

1. How often do you buy comics to keep updated?
2. What series of comics do you have the most of?( Estimate how much you have of that series as well)
3. Take a picture of alot of your comics spread out on the floor and post it.
4. Do you read alot of comics?
5. What is your character bias? (Everyone has a bias so don't say you have none).

Bonus question- Have you ever encountered people that you feel have never read the comic they claim of reading and just rely on "outside sources"

(Sugar milk cookies on a hot stove.)

Symmetric Chaos
1. Never.
2. Spiderman (I got one in the mail for some reason)
3. N/A
4. Manga mostly.
5. I've got a general bias toward martial artists and people with high levels of intelligence

I tend to go by power sets (ie guy that absorbs enegy has a chance against a guy made of energy and such), respect threads and scans that people post.

That shouldn't be too hard to follow people.

Newjak
1. How often do you buy comics to keep updated? As a poor college student not any I rely mostly on KMC to keep me unodated on current events

2. What series of comics do you have the most of? None I moved a lot as a kid and when your moving the first thing Mom wants to get rid of to make space is teh comics

3. Take a picture of alot of your comics spread out on the floor and post it. Read above statement

4. Do you read alot of comics? Yes I do read a lot of comics wehter just standing in a store on here or old comics at the libaray

5. What is your character bias? Juggernaut, Superman(believe it or not), Batman, Wolverine, The Thing. These are by far some of my favorite character.

Buccaneer
Every Wednesday or so I grab at least two $20 and head to the comic shop.

2. What series of comics do you have the most of?
I have maybe 75% of the first volume of Cap, half of the fourth, and half of the fifth. So maybe somewhere around 400.

3. Take a picture of alot of your comics spread out on the floor and post it. Eek.

4. Do you read alot of comics? For the past year I've been reading them almost every day.

5. What is your character bias? Street level, mainly Cap and Daredevil. I would love Batman but he seems overrated, and Iron Fist but he gets no exposure.

nvrbeenwthagirl

I buy comics weekley, tho I dont' buy every comic that comes out. I have my regulars and I get stuff that looks intersting.

2. What series of comics do you have the most of?( Estimate how much you have of that series as well)

I have a lot of avengers, xmen, justice league, justice society, wonder woman, x books in general, fantastic four ( old school tho) Hulk( entire Peter david run), anything with silver surfer in it, lots and lots of mini series that have to do with marvel cosmics or DC cross overs.

LOL who does that? Then you gotta put them all back

I do read Alot of comics.

5. What is your character bias? (Everyone has a bias so don't say you have none).

I love wonder woman and I dispise superman. I also am biased for the xmen. they are the best most well rounded team in comics history. Not too strong, not too weak, and they have hands down the best villians rogues gallery EVER.

Bonus question- Have you ever encountered people that you feel have never read the comic they claim of reading and just rely on "outside sources"

It shouldn't matter if the person read the comic or not. Comics are skewed and interpretation is left up to the writer. If the person knows the power set and the ability of the character, then that is enough for this type of forum since it's a non jobbing, in character type of debate. I dont' need to read every thing with the living tribunal in it to know that he's pretty uber and what he can do.

crimsonphoenix
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl

It shouldn't matter if the person read the comic or not. Comics are skewed and interpretation is left up to the writer. If the person knows the power set and the ability of the character, then that is enough for this type of forum since it's a non jobbing, in character type of debate. I dont' need to read every thing with the living tribunal in it to know that he's pretty uber and what he can do.

So, if someone says that Hulk lost to dare devil in h2h and posted a scan, but failed to say Hulk was a clone and his power was as strong as bullseye. Remember, they just saw the pictures and never read the comic so they think Dare Devil has a win over the hulk and it wasn't alternite universe. See the problem? stick out tongue

nvrbeenwthagirl
Originally posted by crimsonphoenix
So, if someone says that Hulk lost to dare devil in h2h and posted a scan, but failed to say Hulk was a clone and his power was as strong as bullseye. Remember, they just saw the pictures and never read the comic so they think Dare Devil has a win over the hulk and it wasn't alternite universe. See the problem? stick out tongue

But your missing the fact that I said the person knows, the character's powerset, and the character. There is no way in hell, I would believe the hulk lost to DD. Even with a scan, I would already know that there had to be some extenuating circumstances not being posted.

Lord Rock
I rad comics online and when debating, i uses what i know and gives up if i am wrongwink I am not updated, but know enoughwink

crimsonphoenix
But your missing the fact that I said the person knows, the character's powerset, and the character. There is no way in hell, I would believe the hulk lost to DD. Even with a scan, I would already know that there had to be some extenuating circumstances not being posted. If we were just going by the power set and not showing feats in comics then we might as well use the handbooks alone.

nvrbeenwthagirl
If we were just going by the power set and not showing feats in comics then we might as well use the handbooks alone.

The problem with feats, is that some character's are feat whores. examples of this are Superman and Thor. Some shit they do just doesnt' make sense for thier character or powerset. the best way to gage them is by logic, and combining what you know of them in a team setting AND in thier own series. And judging by powerset isn't really a bad way to go. I know that if someone pits Monica rambeau against wonder girl, I'm going to assume that based on monica's powers, she has the clear speed, and range advantage.

Newjak
If we were just going by the power set and not showing feats in comics then we might as well use the handbooks alone. You know you have to find a happy medium crim.

Because if you go by Scans alone you could never have a proper debate without first looking at the power set and using simple common sense because many comics are misleading. stick out tongue

Big Sexy
I payed Digi off with ice cream to keep this open.( If it is in your heart to keep this thread open for like a couple days, then give it your wrath.) Happy Dance

I am wondering on how many people read the comic(Or even have most of the comics) while they debate, I think people are just looking through the respect threads or go by what others say. I was reading before on some guy using thor examples of power; when it was a clone confused Now, if he had the issue/read, he would of saw him saying "I am clone thor".

Answer the following questions( If you don't, a fat man will have sex with you eek! )

1. About 1-2 times a month
2. Can't really tell. I have most of the SS series, all the Darkness, Sandman, and Lucifer, several spawn, superman, thor, x-men ,jla, Spiderman, and a lot of the cosmic stuff.
3. Most of my comics are boxed up after their read a few times.
4. yes
5. I have a bias of SS, Lucifer, Thanos, and spawn. I became a Superman fan because of this forum.

crimsonphoenix
The problem with feats, is that some character's are feat whores. examples of this are Superman and Thor. Some shit they do just doesnt' make sense for thier character or powerset. the best way to gage them is by logic, and combining what you know of them in a team setting AND in thier own series. And judging by powerset isn't really a bad way to go. I know that if someone pits Monica rambeau against wonder girl, I'm going to assume that based on monica's powers, she has the clear speed, and range advantage. I think you need both. Say it says that Vulture from spiderman flys(It doesn't say how fast he flys in his power set) so wouldn't looking at feats he does constantly determine how fast he is while flying? Power sets are to vague.

Hercules

Kutulu
I rarely buy comics anymore. When I was younger I would buy them weekly. I don't keep up that much with modern comics, but do read scans and such as they come out (no I won't name sources! smile )

I have an archive of scans which covers every Silver Surfer ever made, through up until about 2003.

I used to have two humongous boxes (the kind that a 34" TV comes in, the other an old Stereo receiver box), but after moving a few times, left them in the attic of my mom's house. Come to think of it, I could probably sell it for some decent dollar value, as most of them I would read a few times then put them in the sleeve. I would estimate between 700 - 800 physical comic books, the majority of them sleeved to keep up their value if I ever decided to sell.

Yes, thanks to certain *ahem* online resources.

Personally I hate when street levellers hang with heavy hitters for more than a few seconds. One single punch from Iron Man should have wiped out Captain America for instance. If you get hit with 40 tons of force and you're human, you're going to be paste, even if you are a top notch human. Sentry should have been able to wipe out almost all of the non-registers. I like the scan where Superman dodge's Batman's fist, saying he would have shattered all the bones in his hand if he let his punch land. Any character hanging physically with characters far far outside of their strength / durability / speed seems like bad writing.

All the time. big grin

endrict
1. Getting back into it comics and keeping away from gay ass marvel writers. I am a traitor and jumping in the DC boat.
2. Use to be a old X men...dropped out for a while when marvel went down hill.
3. I do.
4. Starting to again...but not marvel.
5. I had/have some....trying to break that mold.

leonidas

1. i used to get about 5-10 titles/week. got a bit expensive . . . now i buy occasionally and will occasionally dl a book (though don't tell anyone i do that . . . considering how much $ i poured into marvel and dc, i feel all right dl'ing the odd book)
2. spiderman. including all titles, muct be somwhere around a 1000 spider-books.
3. What the f**k?
4. i still enjoy rereading the books i have (and the less valuable ones) and i like reading anything new i buy or dl.
5. whatever character is getting the short end of the stick in a debate is my bias. big grin i will often debate just to even off the sides or if someone is getting gang-piled.

bonus: of course people say they've read when they haven't. too many people rely only on respect threads or other peoples' interpretation of events. respect threads are hideously skewed and very misleading as they often leave out context, which is very important. you can usually tell becasue those are the people, who, when questioned, bow out of threads. smile

guy222

Guy says, I read. I debate fairly. Best way smile

id369

seaapple

I don't buy too many superhero comics much anymore, so undoubtedly some new developments I have missed. Mostly all of these immense power-ups, and I must admit I never fully figured out the whole sage with Dark Phoenix.

I have basically all of the Silver Surfer comics in some form or another, all the Moon Knight comics, some Green Lantern (Hal) comics from back in the day...I have comics of other people/groups basically when they involve these characters (like the Infinity Gauntlet series). I have various other random comics if some threads have caught my interest. I've been trying to track down more comics involving the Black Manta too, though I don't really follow Aquaman. I also have some manga...

3. Take a picture of a lot of your comics spread out on the floor and post it.
...no time for that... I have a few boxes. I am kind of selective about which comics I buy, I like them but am not a fanatic.

not as much anymore, but I have gotten back into it a bit recently. The characters I know about I know a lot about, other times I stay out of it.

Some strong ones...
I think that Galactus should be respected as sibling to Death and Eternity. He is from the previous universe. I prefer the original interpretation of Galactus as opposed to the one that is used to make heroes look good (by seeming more vulnerable). I think Moon Knight has just about the coolest costume in comics, and his original series had one of the best teams working on it. He could have had better powers though. Silver Surfer should also be considered to be just about the most powerful out of all of the heroes with comic books. I think Batman as greatest genius/greatest martial artist of all time ruins the character. He is a great character because he does it without powers. When you make him a mega-genius mega-tech guy it ruins what is great about the character, a gritty urban hero who is half-mad with thoughts of vengeance. I think that the GL John Stewart is vastly underrated on these boards. I think that it is not bad what Hudlin is trying to do with BP, it happens implicitly for other characters all the time. Only when it is overt do people get up in arms. He may not have the best execution for his ideas however.

starlock
every week
spidey,xmen,(spidey ? i have issue 15 on, but varies from times i did not collect)
people ! i have 25(working on 26) long boxes of comics plus varius boxes with hundreds(ones i dont really care about) i would need a room empty just to put the boxes never mind speading them out
every day twice on sunday
x-man,Ion(Green lantern Kyle)Captain comet(my favorite new comic)
wolverine,Quasar

Flame On!!
I buy comicsevery month in american money 200 dollars worth. I have been reading comics since 1975. I own more than any of you. I also understand that Vs. debates are pointless as any writer can change anything on a whim. All respect threads do is show "events" they do not "prove" anything except in that issue this happened. Most high showings can have low showings that totally contradict them. Many things have more than one history many at the same time e.g. How Blackbolts scream works or Zods history or even how the Marvel Universe was created. It's that simple enjoy comics down suck and need events to cling on to.

Stay hot

- Flame On!! blowup

rock smoking!!!

Scoobless
I almost never even look into respect threads.

Buccaneer
...Right, well, of course they're pointless. Doesn't mean they're not interesting or appealing.

DigiMark007
Everyone uses the respect threads sometimes. It's not cheating if it's there for all to see.

But if we didn't read comics, we wouldn't be in this forum to begin with. So there's some of both.

Anyway, closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.