Chewbacca not awarded

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mace Skywalker
I had always wondered why Chewbacca never got an award at the end of Episode 4, while Luke and Han did get Medals? Is there an actual reason or what?

Alliance
Racism.

Mace Skywalker
Originally posted by Alliance
Racism.

Hahaha oh man. It's so Ironic and true. No but seriously though, why really?

Darth Subjekt
I heard somewhere that it was against their...religion...for lack of a better word. Well, not religion, but against their ways. They weren't to accept that kind of reward, not in their nature.

Tangible God
Cause Luke blew up the Death Star, and Han saved his life so he could do that.

Chewie just sat in the co-pilot's seat and pressed a few buttons. Not like HE made the decision to come back and help.

Ushgarak
Yeah, GL confirmed that Wookies don't accept such honours.

vintageSW77
though he quickly accepted it at the MTV movie awards

Mace Skywalker
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yeah, GL confirmed that Wookies don't accept such honours.

Thank you for a real answer.

vintageSW77
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/chewbacca/?id=bts

for the REAL answers and not something George said in Bantha Tracks 20 years ago
he said a lot of things back then
9 movies etc

hey some of you out there think that Chewie bought it saving some planet so why not his appearance on a tv awards show
he was in character
he took the medal

incidently if i remember correctly in the original novel he did get a medal

and on the subject of Chewies role stated above it seems he didnt want to get off and do one from Yavin like Solo wanted to
if you watch the scene where they are loading up their credits Chewie obviously says something along the lines of staying put and helping out
hence Solos "what?......i know what im doing" line

furthermore if Wookies didnt accept medals how come they take have no qualms about taking cash....whats more honorable?

and the real reason at the end of it all is this -
Carrie Fisher - 5 foot
Peter Mayhew - 7 foot

hows that going to look on film ?

well lets have a look
http://www.shadowfuture.net/bh/misc/mtv-chew.mov

vintageSW77
before i get corrected Chewie appearing on MTV and parts of the databank are of course EU and not real answers

its that old canon thing again
Lucas can take the canon thing and shove it up his arse
hes ok taking the cash for the EU stuff at the end of it

and ill take your queries as a non EU fan and correct SOME of my post
though if you ARE an EU fan i guess i wont have to
these being the people who think Admiral Ackbar got some bedroom action with the Solo kids nanny after the battle of Endor

i didnt polish up on the rules regarding things EU on this board
but as the Star Wars Saga post 1999 is now such a HUGE ****ing mess and about to get worse i dont think Chewie appearing on an MTV awards show would make a differance to the smallest universe in movie history

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by Mace Skywalker
Thank you for a real answer.

was that to imply that I didnt give you a real answer? I just dont like to say "GL confirmed this" without actually knowing where it was said.

overlord
Chewie is just a slave of Han because Han saved his life just like with Jar Jar and Qui Gon. Fortunately Qui Gon died and Jar Jar got a life as a succesfull politician.

queeq
I too always thought the only reason given in either the novel or the comic was that Leia was too small. I distinctly reading lines that went something like this: "Chewbacca will get his medal later. Princesses aren't that tall."

vintageSW77
thats pretty much bang on what i remember being mentioned in the comic too

regarding the Wook eventualy getting his medal i have my personal take on SW canon
if its the actors in character i take it as the real deal
and that means The Holiday Special and The Muppet show

queeq
*shudder* He said Holiday Special....

mossman

vintageSW77
the comic was a funny one though wasnt it
this for the few years before ROTJ was what i thought Jabba looked like thanks to Marvel

queeq
Bizarre.

Darth Subjekt
This is all they have in every version of the script i found:

" Luke, Han, and Chewbacca enter the huge ruins of the main
temple. Hundreds of troops are lined up in neat rows. Banners
are flying and at the far end stands a vision in white, the
beautiful young Senator Leia. Luke and the others solemnly
march up the long aisle and kneel before Senator Leia. From
one side of the temple marches a shined-up and fully repaired
Artoo-Detoo. He waddles up to the group and stands next to an
equally pristine Threepio, who is rather awestruck by the
whole event. Chewbacca is confused. Dodonna and several other
dignitaries sit on the left of the Princess Leia. Leia is
dressed in a long white dress and is staggeringly beautiful.
She rises and places a gold medallion around Han's neck. He
winks at her. She then repeats the ceremony with Luke, who is
moved by the event. They turn and face the assembled troops,
who all bow before them. Chewbacca growls and Artoo beeps with
happiness."

So i don't know...does anyone have the novel??

overlord
I got those comics, why they ever thought Jabba would look bad ass like that is beyond my comprehension. His servants also constantly held up a shield around him.

vintageSW77
I think the main reason they thought he was Jabba is that the character looks like hes leaving the docking bay where the Falcon is parked as Obi and Luke approach it

he reminds me of this guy
John Mcririck

mossman
laughing
Coincidence, because fellow BB contestant Pete Burns looks like Sy Snootles....
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41187000/jpg/_41187142_burns.jpg

Anyway, here is how Jabba looked in the comics...
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3756/jabbahj6.jpg

vintageSW77
and Jackie Stallone deffo belongs in the Cantina
maybe someone from casting should put them in the live action series

nice to see the Marvel Comic pic
i had em all and the big versions..forgot the name they gave the oversized comics
sadly they ended up in the bin thanks to my mum
but ive started a collection again thanks to my local second hand exchange shop

Ushgarak
Frankly, I don't see why the fact GL said it decades ago- about a decades old movie- makes it any less relevant.

Like it or not, his is the creative mind that sets scuh things, and that is the reason he gave. So if you want an in-universe explanation, which is what the poster wanted, that is what the explanation is.

vintageSW77
The recent interviews regarding the TV series show how out of it Lucas is regarding facts about his own creation
Hes contradicted himself on numerous occasions since 77 so most of what he says regarding his characters should be taken with a pinch of salt and since the PT this has never been more so
even if it is about something as minor as Chewies medal

mossman
Originally posted by vintageSW77
nice to see the Marvel Comic pic
i had em all and the big versions..forgot the name they gave the oversized comics
sadly they ended up in the bin thanks to my mum
but ive started a collection again thanks to my local second hand exchange shop

Same thing happened to me.
In fact I only found out they had been thrown out last year! mad
I've got all the US comics on my hard drive, but I wanted the actual UK weekly versions of the comics I knew and loved, so I went a little mad on ebay and got pretty much all of them back now...

I'm in the process of scanning them at the moment - it's going to take ages - but I'll post them on here if and when I'm done, if anyone is interested...

queeq
Excellent! Can't wait.

vintageSW77
im only collecting the pre ESB run but partic faves were a story with a pirate called Crimson Jack and one involving a guy named Tyler Lucien and some half man half droid bounty hunter whos name i should google
oh and Jaxx the 6 foot tall rabbit

queeq
Sweet.

mossman
im only collecting the pre ESB run but partic faves were a story with a pirate called Crimson Jack and one involving a guy named Tyler Lucien and some half man half droid bounty hunter whos name i should google
oh and Jaxx the 6 foot tall rabbit

Ah, Crimson Jack - the real reason Han couldn't pay off Jabba the Hutt using his reward money... wink

I believe the cyborg bounty hunter was called Valance.
I'll start posting them next week, may as well start at the beginning with issue one...

vintageSW77
yip Valance thats it

i remember Vader and Valance fighting by a lake whilst Tyler Lucien watches from a tower
vague memories

Ushgarak
The recent interviews regarding the TV series show how out of it Lucas is regarding facts about his own creation
Hes contradicted himself on numerous occasions since 77 so most of what he says regarding his characters should be taken with a pinch of salt and since the PT this has never been more so
even if it is about something as minor as Chewies medal

That is merely an opinion.

But he has not contradicted it, therefore it is the most authoritative information we have. If you don't like it, tough. When it comes to matters like this, the forum rules do state that we take GL's word.

queeq
True.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Ushgarak
That is merely an opinion.

But he has not contradicted it, therefore it is the most authoritative information we have. If you don't like it, tough. When it comes to matters like this, the forum rules do state that we take GL's word.

well to a lot of people Lucas word hasnt meant **** all since 1997
after he changed a hoodlum killer into the recipient of the luckiest point blank blaster miss in a Tattoine Cantina ever award
but seeing as i like this part of KMC ill guess ill have to appear to take the word of a filmaker who constantly changes his movies to make more $ and creates Prequels littered with ridiculous coincidences and the odd retro character continuity cock up

queeq
Yeah, I dislike GL changing his mind all the time too.

vintageSW77
i dont know he just seems lost in his own creation these days

queeq
All days methinks. HE needs some therapy to accept he did a fairly decent job in the 70s and 80s. If he'd just be able to appreciate taht work, then perhaps he wouldn't be so uptight about the OT.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.